• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 3,267 Views, 37 Comments

Every Day Is Beautiful - FamousLastWords



Spike and Scootaloo talk about family.

  • ...
8
 37
 3,267

The Story

The gentle summer breeze blew through the trees, complimenting the beautiful, clear sky above. It was a warm day, but not muggy or hot. It was just perfect for being outside. None knew this better than two friends who were enjoying a peaceful afternoon in the park.

“It’s a wonderful day, huh?” Scootaloo said, looking over at her companion. "Clear skies, warm sunlight, nice breeze... I could get used to this. Thanks for inviting me out again."

“No problem,” Spike replied, stretching his back against the warm grass they were laying on, reveling in the comfort it provided to his scales. “This heat does wonders for my body; way better than being cooped up in the library all the time.”

“Heh, yeah. I know what you mean. I hate being stuck inside for longer than I have to be,” she said. "I'm glad my family lets me hang with my friends like this."

The two friends sunk back into the grass, enjoying the peaceful afternoon. Scootaloo gently brought her head up, and turned her gaze over at Spike.

“Hey, Spike?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I ask you something? Something kind of personal?”

“Uhh, sure. Go ahead.”

“Sorry if this seems out of left field, but I’ve been meaning to ask for awhile,” she said, letting out a sigh. “What was it like for you to grow up without your parents?”

Spike shot his eyes open, blinking several times. Sitting up, he turned to look over at the young pegasus. “What brought this on, if I may ask?”

Scootaloo tilted her head down, her short mane drooping to match. “Well, you know that I’ve been in foster care for most of my life. I consider myself lucky for the most part compared to others because I at least knew my parents for awhile before they passed. But you… you never did, did you?”

Spike’s face tilted to a frown as he thought about the question. “No. I never did. My egg was stolen and the identity of my parents is still a complete mystery.”

"You never tried to find them?"

"We did, but it never led to anything but dead ends and disappointment," Spike replied.

“That must have been tough, huh…”

“Yeah.” Spike gently layed back down into the soft grass and looked at the sky. “It’s hard for a lot of ponies to understand what it’s like to lose your parents. I never even knew mine, yet I miss them every day and wonder if I’ll ever be able to see them.”

Scootaloo took her place next to Spike on the ground again. “I know what you mean. I was really young when I lost them, but for some reason, I can’t forget about them.”

“I understand. Your family is a part of you.”

“Yeah…” Scootaloo said. “But Spike? How did you deal with it? You know, having to be adopted into another family.”

“It wasn’t easy,” he replied. “Growing up in a household of ponies, being the odd one out constantly… it was really difficult. I mean, even now there are times when I feel like I don’t belong.”

Scootaloo gently raised her head to look at her friend. “I know exactly what you mean. It seems that no matter where I go, there’s some part of me that’s incomplete.”

“That feeling will probably always be there, also. When an important part of your life is taken away, it can't simply be replaced by something else."

"I guess so."

Spike turned his head to smile at Scootaloo. "But, you know, there is something you can do to make things easier. Something I learned a long time ago."

"What is it?" she asked.

"Instead of focusing on the things that are missing from your life, try looking at the things you do have. Things that are important to you."

"Well..." Scootaloo scrunched her muzzle in thought. "I've got my friends like Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom.Oh, and you, too."

"Yep, go on," Spike said with a smile.

"Plus I've had a lot of fun times here in Ponyville. A lot of good memories," Scootaloo said. "What about you Spike?"

"Me? Well, sometimes I think what it would have been like if I stayed with my real parents. I would've grown to be like all the other dragons: feared by many, hated by all! So, I actually kind of appreciate being raised with Twilight, and getting to have a life with all of you guys." Spike turned to Scootaloo, wearing a sweet smile. "Honestly, you all are the best family anyone could ever hope for."

Returning the smile, Scootaloo placed her hoof into Spike's claw. "Well, if it means anything, I'm glad things happened the way they did."

"Me too," he said. "You know, you can't change the past, but you can change your future. So, instead of worrying about what you can't change, focus on the things you can."

The tan filly turned around, her eyes wide in thought. "Wow... that's probably the deepest conversation I've ever had."

"I know right?" Spike said. "I feel like we need to do something crazy and immature to make up for it."

"I would agree with that. But we can do that later. Right now, the sun feels way too good to get up." She closed her eyes and felt the warmth wash over her. "It's such a beautiful day."

"Every day is beautiful if you know what to look at."

The two friends continued lazing in the park for the rest of the afternoon, simply enjoying the day, and all that life had given them.

Author's Note:

Just a quick one for a contest that I procrastinated till the last minute for.

Comments ( 37 )

Oh boy. This competition is starting to get fierce.
Good. I welcome the challenge.

Simply... Beautiful and cute, I LOVE IT!!! :heart:

Crying so much you got his character and made it right unlike other people though

You came in, made your point, and got out. The perfect short story.

Seriously, I needed this. So many stories I've read today left me feeling, "What? Why? Why does this exist?" The best thousand words I've read all day.

Good luck with your contest.

Spike-A-Loo!

And today, on this beautiful day, I read a beautiful story:twilightsmile:.

Great Job!:moustache::scootangel:

A very wonderful short story. I like the natural progression of the conversation. ^w^ Keep up the good work!

Barely scraping that word count. :rainbowlaugh:

4581737 it was 2 in the morning... i wanted to go to bed :raritydespair:

4581747

It's 2:46am for me.

I sip my tea.

And then I write more.

This is why British people will soon rule the world!

Eep, I'm scared, great story!!!!

4582417 you know, I post regular blogs on improving writing and stuff if you wanna shoot me a follow :duck:

I needed this story today. I really did.

Thanks

4582862 sometimes we all need a little happy perspective on thimgs

4582869
For me, I want that mind set all the time.

It's nice enough, it's short but teaches a lesson none the less.

Just... good job mate, good job. :twilightsmile:

Quite beautiful story.

Just a quick one for a contest that I procrastinated till the last minute for.

this was done at the last minute? seriously? what goes on in your mind for that statement and this story to make sense?

4587106 literally, the contest deadline was today, so I made it at 2 in the morning yesterday :facehoof:

4587120
dang it dustin, you are a writer. use your words appropriately.

I love this, this was undeniably sweet.

"Every day is beautiful if you know what to look at."

Words to live by.

Love it, it's absolutely lovely. :twilightsmile:

This story made my day.:twilightsmile: Honestly a heartwarming story.:heart:

Wonderful story. :pinkiesmile: Very touching and deep.

Very good, pacing is much better in this one...

4590514 IF THE COMICS HAVE MADE ALTERNATE UNIVERSES CANON
DOES THAT MEAN ALL AU FANFICS ARE NOW CANNON?
fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/138/5/1/_request__a_confused_sweetie_belle__by_incognito_i-d7it443.png

5393371
Yes. That is exactly what that means. Nyx is now canon.

https://m.

Aw, that was a very sweet short story for Scooty and Spikey!:scootangel::moustache:

Hey there! I did a reading of your story!

Login or register to comment