• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 11,733 Views, 346 Comments

A Dragon's Pride and a Mare's Kindness - DARKPHANTOM13



What would happen if Spike was raised by dragons instead of ponies.What if his teacher told him to come with him to meet with Celestia and the recently returned Luna. How will the princesses and Elements of Harmony handle a blunt, sarcastic, and stro

  • ...
41
 346
 11,733

Powers Revealed...Most of Them(Now editied)

Author's Note:

Warning: Huge exposition dump. Also this is now edited. Thanks again to Starblade.

Third Person P.O.V.

"Okay everyone," Spike started to explain. "I'm going to cast a dome spell that will allow us to see what kind of aura each of us possesses while inside of it. This will let me see what kind of powers you might have and the kind of training I should give each of you."

The dragon brought his claws close together and a green and purple orb of pure magic appeared between them. As he spread his arms apart, the orb expanded until it encompass the eight of them. Slowly, auras appeared around them with different flows and colors. Twilight made a quick note about what kind of auras everyone and herself had.

Her own aura was two shades of purple that shined like a bright light. It was almost blinding.

Ditzy's was blue with a hints of grey that flowed like water around her with bubbles forming and popping.

The Rarity's aura was hard to describe. Her aura was a mix of light blue and white with what appeared to be shards of gems or crystals fading in and out around her.

Applejack's looked like orange blocks of earth falling and rising in a show of strength.

The animal expert of the group had a soft cream and pastel pink glow; she had a gentle breeze going around her with the faint images of butterflies riding on the wind.

If Fluttershy's aura was a gentle breeze, then Rainbow Dash's was a rainbow hurricane with blue lightning dancing around in it.

The aura that Pinkie has mirrored the mare in the fact that it made little to no sense. It was hot pink that constantly changing in shape, size, and patterns randomly.

Spike was mostly green with streaks of purple. The weird thing about it was that it changed patterns like Pinkie, but his stuck to three different kinds of auras. Two of them were similar to the auras Twilight and Applejack had while the third looked and moved like a flame.

"Okay," Spike called out, getting everyone's attention from looking at the colorful assortment of auras. "Now that I've got a good look at your auras, I can at least see what kind of powers you can use. Though I would like to point out that it is possible for your auras to change, allowing you to either gain new powers in addition to your current ones or for said new powers to replace the old ones."

"But our auras are an extension of ourselves right?" Twilight asked. When Spike nodded his head, she continued. "Then shouldn't they stay the same?"

"Sort of. However, you have to keep in mind that what makes up a person's aura is the state of their mind, body, and soul." Spike explained. "A change in a person's mindset will affect that person's aura. In most cases, the changes are small, but I have heard and seen cases where a big change in a person's way of thinking can completely change a person's aura. As a result, it could completely change that person's abilities as well. Stuff like mental or emotional trauma, depression, emotional shock, or scarring experiences are just a few things can cause a massive change. And those are just a few examples for changes to one's mind. That's not taking into account for either the body and soul."

Spike paused for a second when he saw Twilight furiously writing down what he said in her notebook. The drake shook his head as he thought to himself, 'At least I won't have to repeat myself to her.'

"Now Twilight," the aforementioned mare looked up from her notes to the drake, "your power is, unsurprisingly, magic. To be specific, it's pure magic, allowing you to mold and change it however you wish. You honestly have enough magic in you to pull off spells that would completely drain the average unicorn and still keep going. You'll be able to pull off spells that only a select few can normally do, regardless of race or species, as well as elemental magic, but you won't ever be as good as someone with the natural talent for a certain spell unless you spend years of painstaking training on just that one certain spell. Basically, you can learn and use just about any spell in existence to at least some extent if you train hard enough."

Twilight was practically vibrating in excitement at the information. While she wanted to learn just about anything that had to do with magic, she thought that such a thing would be impossible since there are spells that can only be cast by certain races and/or individuals. Now nothing that has to do with magic is out of her reach; she was already thinking about the new spells and types of magic she could study now.

Next, Spike turned towards was Applejack.

"Applejack, you have a strong connection to the earth, which is not surprising considering that you are an Earth Pony that comes from a long line of farmers. With proper training, it is possible for you to control the very ground under your hooves. You'll be able to control dirt and rock as if it is an extension of yourself. A stomp from you could cause earthquakes, a flick of the wrist will raise spears made of solid rock, and that is just the tip of the mountain of what you can do."

The apple farmer liked the sound of that. A power like that would not only be useful in a pinch, but also helpful when doing work on the farm. Meanwhile, Spike had moved on to the next mare in line.

"You have a unique aura Fluttershy." The shy mare in question let out a small 'eep' before looking at the drake from behind her curtain of hair. "You have a strong connection to animals, though from what I've heard about you, that is pretty obvious. From the looks of it, you have a strong potential to use Restoration class magic as well. Restoration involves mostly healing spells with a few spells used to fight against certain types of enemies such as the Undead and evil spirits. You also are capable of using wind magic, although it looks like you will only be able to use the basic level stuff. Still, I think having magic like that is better than not having it at all, even if you are stuck at the lowest levels. After all, it would do you good to have something in your skill set that you could use offensively towards all types of enemies and not just the undead."

Fluttershy had mixed feelings about her powers. On the one hand, the healing aspect really appealed to her kind-hearted nature, being able to heal her animals and friends sounded like a good deal to her. On the other hand, the fact that she might have to be the one to deal with zombies and the like, if such a situation arose, had her shaking like a leaf.

"Rainbow, it's no surprise that you have an affinity for wind and lighting," Spike managed to say before being interrupted by the mare in question.

"Because of my amazing speed and overall awesomeness?" Dash asked with a smug tone and her chin held high.

"No," Spike bluntly stated. "I was going to say it was because you are a Pegasus. Usually, having one or both elements is pretty common for Pegasi, but whatever helps you sleep at night." After having her pride popped, the blue mare slightly deflated and grumbled to herself. "But, you do have more potential for both elements than the average Pegasus. Having both elements can give you a lot of possibilities. Wind is plentiful and can be used in a lot of different ways if you are creative enough. Lighting, on the other hand, can be precise or really destructive, sometimes even both. However, you have to be very careful. Like with any power, one wrong move and you can not only fry yourself, but your friends as well."

While Rainbow Dash thought that having an affinity towards lighting and wind was the perfect match for her, both her and the others took his warning to heart.

"And finally, Rarity and Pinkie," Spike called out to the two. "I'll be frank, I'm not sure what powers you two have. Rarity, you have a combination that I haven't seen before. Your aura shows that you have enough regular magic in you to use spells from basic to maybe mid-tier, but that is nothing unusual for a unicorn. I also see that you have the talent for Conjuration magic, the magic class of summoning. The weird part is that it seems the Conjuration magic is mixed with what appears to be a variant of Applejack's power. Where hers allows Applejack complete control over any kind of earth, yours seems to be more focused on gems and crystals. Though I have no clue what kind of abilities you will have through that combination, we at least have something to work with."

Rarity took the information in stride. Her exact power might not be obvious, but she was sure it would be glamorous and fitting of a high class mare such as herself. After all, it would involve one of the most fashionable things in the world.

"As for you Pinkie, your aura is like nothing I've ever seen before," Spike stated while scratching the side of his head in confusion. "It is like I'm looking at an abstract painting, I can't make heads or tails of what I'm seeing. I have absolutely no idea to what kind of power you will have."

"But that also means I could have any power, right?" Pinkie asked.

Spike took a moment to think about the question before answering, "Possibly. At this point, it is anybody's guess."

"Then I could have like super speed, or even time based powers. Either one could come really handy at work." Pinkie Pie started to ramble about having different powers and their uses before the others tuned her out.

"Anyway, now that that is out of the way, I can explain what kind of training I have planned. We will start with some magic channeling exercises; this way, it will make it easier for the non-unicorns when you start to use your powers. As for Twilight and Rarity, there is a list of spells I want you two to work on in the mean time. From there, we will add physical exercise and hand-to-hand combat training to the mix, and everyone will participate. Everyone." Spike emphasized the last part with an evil grin. Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy weren't too keen on that.

"Sorry darling, but a lady such as myself does not sweat if she can help it," Rarity stated. Too bad she didn't know Spike.

"Well that is going to change," The drake said, his grin not leaving his face. "By the time I'm done with you guys I want you to be able to last at least three minutes in a hand-to-hand fight against Ditzy here." He pointed to mare in question. While Rainbow and Twilight were excited and worried respectively at the thought everyone else was confused at the requirement. "For those who don't know, Ditzy here is a former student of mine. While not at my level, she is more than capable of kicking your butts as you are now." After giving everyone a moment to stock up the information, he continued. "Thankfully, for you guys, we don't start until two days from now, so you guys have some time to rearrange your schedules or whatever for your future training. Enjoy this small break while you can, because when training starts I can only promise two things-"

"That I will make you stronger than you believed you are capable of and it is going to be painful as all hell."

Comments ( 44 )

Let the ass kicking begin!:derpytongue2::moustache: :twilightoops::ajbemused::rainbowderp::pinkiegasp::fluttershysad::duck:

well they are fucked for a while

"That I will make you stronger than you believed you are capable of and it is going to be painful as all hell."

:moustache: I will break you down peace by painful peace. Then from those peaces, I will remake you. You will be stronger, faster, and more powerful then you could have ever imagined before.

:applejackconfused::twilightoops::rainbowderp::fluttercry::raritycry::pinkiesad2:

Yeah this story isn't dead!:raritydespair: Just kidding I knew it wasn't dead!:rainbowlaugh: Anyways I missed this story. It was really good. I mean 7 chapters and it has 431 likes! That's crazily amazing!:twilightsmile:

6743637 I can see that as their reaction for what he said!:rainbowlaugh:

It lives!!!!!! I love how you got there powers chosen. But I want romance!!!

See you in six months with the next chapter yeah?

KO awesome new chapter, hope to see more and new chapters of Between a pie and a butterfly and Taste like Sapphire. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::rainbowdetermined2:

I like where this is going!

Very interesting and thanks for the update.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

6203418 KO when is the new of chapter of between a pie and a butterfly and taste like sapphire? :pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::rainbowdetermined2:

More more. More. ( way did I remin myself of zombies just now??? )

Ah, this story
I remeber when I first read it, 25 years ago
Anyway, good to see it has been picked up again! Keep up the great work!! :pinkiehappy:

Mooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr :flutterrage:

Did spike beat the earth pony he fought with the raw magic powers? Also is he stronger than celestia?

i need more:flutterrage:

Comment posted by Sadistic Joy deleted May 30th, 2022

Such a good story and plot...

Too bad it's dead..and the search for a similar story like this begins....

Fuck me.

When is the next update?

One word can summarize my feelings to this fic...MOAR

Damn it! i really like this story ;c come on man focus on one at a time instead of making new ones ;c

Can you please add an ocean of mine please it's my Skyrim character and an my mlp oc mixed if that's ok with you of course. But really Skyrim you know there are a lot of things that I would have to know like which one elder scrolls,Oblivion,etc if so then add sub-races or something man. And by the logic of chapter 5 that means spike knows about the spirit world wear it is the only place you will be able to kill alduin and get the companion shout where you will be able to summon spirits of the previous dragon Borns so yeah. Love the story BTW take care dude.

When is the next update?

Plz update, I am beginning to enjoy this!

Stories like this are super weird to read after the show introduced Ember, Garble and Torch.

9546650
These are mistakes a 12-year-old would make. I'm beginning to question the author's age

Its a shame this one died so fast :/

what's keeping you from writing on this story?

hoping for a continuation

MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9546685
shut the fuck up if you dont like the dam story stop reading it

10588626
If no one points out the mistakes of writers, the writers will never improve
Also, I did stop reading this. I couldn't get past the second chapter

10588634
sorry yes that is true but don't say stuff that is demeaning about writer story they make mistake but comparing there writing to a 12 year old really don't you think that is to far i know poeple that write like that yet they could never make something as good as this plus the english language is hard we have screwed it to the point its one of the hard languages in the world

10588684
I admit, looking at it now and how it comes off I could have put it better, though at the time, I know I wasn't making a joke, I was being serious. I DO wonder how old the writer is, but regardless I think they could benefit from personal writing courses that focus on CREATIVE writing rather than what basic schooling focuses on(from my own experience, public schooling beyond basic grammar is useless for novalists and is geared toward journalists and workplace memo writing)

This is good. But is it dead?

This story is too good it's a pity it's dead

Login or register to comment