• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 11,732 Views, 346 Comments

A Dragon's Pride and a Mare's Kindness - DARKPHANTOM13



What would happen if Spike was raised by dragons instead of ponies.What if his teacher told him to come with him to meet with Celestia and the recently returned Luna. How will the princesses and Elements of Harmony handle a blunt, sarcastic, and stro

  • ...
41
 346
 11,732

The First Test and a Painful Lesson

As Pinkie continued to ramble and squeeze the life out of Spike he decided enough was enough. He quietly said a word to himself that only he, his mother, and his master understood. He suddenly turn transparent and phased through the party mare's normally impossible to break hug. After a couple of seconds he turned solid again. Everyone looked at in shock, surprise, or interest while Paar deadpanned his student. "Was that really necessary?" His teacher asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Her grip is like a bear trap." Spike replied, as if phasing through people is an everyday occurrence with him. "I don't suppose I have a chance to change my mind on the agreement do I?"

"As much of a chance you giving up meat and gems."

"That's a 'no' than." He signs to himself and turns his attention towards the Elements. "I hope you girls are ready. Since one of my jobs is to make sure all of you can at least hold your own in a fight I'm not going to pull any punches." He then asked the Princesses, "Is there a place nearby that's wide open secluded, and you two won't mind being damage? I want to test something."

"There are a few places that come to mind." Celestia replied with a thoughtful look on her face.

"I believe that the old training grounds should be adequate dear sister." Luna said. The two nodded to each other and teleported everyone to the training grounds. You could see that it hasn't been used in a long time. The place was covered in uncut grass and weeds. The clearing where the solders spared looked pretty rough. A few storage sheds here and there that were practically falling apart.

"This should be good enough." Spike said after looking around as he walked to one end of the sparing field. He looked at the Elements. All of whom wondering what he has planned. "I need the six of you to stand on the other side of the field. Everyone else can you please go to the sidelines."

After everyone is in position Twilight raised her hand as if she was in class and asked, "Umm, why are we here? I thought we were testing something."

"We are, now, which of the six of you knows how to punch, kick, and or blast something?" All six girls had confused looks on their faces but none the less Twilight, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash raised their hands. "Good, now the three of you are going to fight me."

"What?!" Everyone yelled out besides Paar.

"B-B-But why?" Fluttershy stuttered.

"I'm going to teach you girls how to fight. To that end I need to know what I'm working with. Since you, Rarity and Pinkie don't even know how to anything fighting related it's safe to assume that I'll be training you three from the ground up. While the other three can do what I asked, so I need to know what they are capable of as of right now. If you or the other two feel like joining feel free to do so." He cracked his neck and then his knuckles. A cocky smirk spread across his face. "Don't worry; I'll go easy on you guys. Unless you girls are scared."

"Scare?! Hell no!" Rainbow Dash yelled. "We’re not scared of anypony, especially you!" Without a second thought she flies at the calm drake. As she threw a punch Spike grabs her wrist and shirt, spins her, and throws the rainbow mane mare back where she came from. She stumbled a bit in the air but was able to land on her hoofs. She turned around and charged at him, this time on the ground. She puts all of her weight into a punch while Spike simply stretched out his arm. The mare's fist collided with his open palm not budging an inch. A loud thud ranges out as Rainbow's arm shook from the force. She then starts to shake her hand to get rid of the pain while she hop/ran around and cursing loudly.

Spike simply chuckles to himself and said, "That never gets old. Let that be a lesson to you. Never charge into a fight unless you have a plan or know what your opponent is capable of." Deciding that she had enough of just standing around Applejack goes on the attack. She sends a roundhouse kick only for Spike to block it with his forearm. "Nice kick." Spike mentions as if he was talking about the weather.

"I'm glad ya'll like it," Applejack said, "because there is plenty more coming." She rights herself and attacks in a flurry of kicks with some punches thrown in. Though not a single on landed. They were all either blocked or avoided. As that was happening Dash went behind Spike and charged him for a full speed tackle. Though at the last second Spike jumped to the side. Causing the blue mare to tackle her friend instead of the dragon. The two tumbled or a meter or two before they stopped in a heap. Both of them sore and dizzy.

"Not bad strategy. Attacking me from behind while your friend had me focused on her. Too bad for you two I was trained to be aware of my surrounding at all times. I'm not perfect but Rainbow here isn't exactly stealthily. Whenever you're fighting in a group you be cautious of your attacks and plans. If you're not careful you could end up hitting your teammate by accident." The drake said, as if he was giving a lecture. Though the lecture was cut short by a purple ball of magic. Which was knocked safely to the side by one of the dragon’s wings. He turned his attention towards where it came from to see Twilight with her horn glowing and hand stretched out. "I was wondering when you were going to do something. Now, let’s see what you got." Twilight raised her other and sends multiple blasts of magic at Spike. Every single last one knocked away by his rapidly moving wings without the rest him moving a muscle. The shocked looks on almost everyone's faces causes a grin to appear on the dragon fighter's face.

"H-H-How...?" Celestia's student tries to stutter out. Having a tough time understand how someone defends himself from an attack that way with such ease.

"How did I knock your attacks away with my wings? You see I met this demon bat pony a while back that could do the same thing. He was willing to teach me a few of his moves if I could hold my own in a fight against him. The guy maybe beyond emo with the expression range of a rock, but he was as tough as hell! It is amazing what you could learn from other people even in mid fight." He stopped talking as a rock zoomed past his head. He calmly turned his gaze towards Rarity. Who was levitating a bunch or rocks the size of baseballs with her magic. "Well, this is a shock. I didn't expect you to join in on the fun. You don't look the type that gets their hands dirty. Let alone willingly joining a fight."

"True, I normally would not even consider taking part in something so barbaric. However I will not stand idle when my friends need my help and I'm capable of doing so." Rarity stated. The dressmaker started to throw the levitating rocks at high speed towards him while picking up more from the ground.

"Doing what you can in an out of your element situation so you can help your friends. That is a good way of thinking." Spike praised. "Good conviction and determination is something everyone needs. It can give you the motivation to keep fighting." The purple dragon counter attacks by drawing one of his shotgun hand guns and starts shooting the rocks as they come. While this was happening Twilight was charging up a spell to capture the drake. Too bad Spike noticed this. While still shooting at the flying rocks he grabs his other gun with his free hand and shoots the ground in front of the purple unicorn. This causes her to fall on her rump and lose focus on her spell.

Meanwhile on the sidelines

"It appears that Twilight Sparkle and her friends are having a tough time with your student Paar." Luna commented as she continued to watch the fight. Spike was holding his ground against both unicorns with the use of his guns.

"It's to be expected." The ancient dragon said as he watches his student. "He has been taught how to fight by his parents and me since he first learned to walk. And since I tasked him to travel the world he has grown. Getting stronger with every battle and dangerous situation he encounters."

"And it shows old friend. Not many would survive under such conditions." Celestia commented as Rainbow and Applejack joined the fight once again. Pinkie and even Fluttershy was helping their friends by throwing pies and cupcakes at the drake, much to his confusion as to where they got them from. Spike showing great skill as he keeps his attackers at bay.

"He did more than survive Celestia. He thrives in the battles, danger, and excitement."

"Excuse me sir, but what do you mean by 'dangerous situations'?" Shining Armor asked the wise dragon as he watched the fight. Grateful that Spike was taking great care not to hurt his sister or her friends too much.

"He has faced dangers that few could even imagine. Spike seems to always get himself in one dangerous situation after another. Even though he complains about it at times he mostly would not change it for anything. Though that is what has me worried."

"What do you mean?" Shining asked.

"He has spent a good portion of his life going from place to place. It has gotten to the point where I don't think he is capable of staying in one place for more than a few days at the very most if he could help it. He is willing to take a breather and relax but he can't sit still for the life of him. It is as if staying in one place is a death sentence to him. I'm hoping that having him live in Ponyville will change that. To show him that you could see the greatest things in life if you take the time to just stop and look around."

"Indeed old friend. There are times when one must, what do they say now, 'stop and smell the roses' I believe." Luna said. "And it appears this test is nearing its end."

Back to the Fight

'Okay, I'll admit it.' Spike thought to himself as he catches a cupcake in his mouth and eats it as he blocks a kick to his side. All while making sure to focus on the six mares fighting him. Taking in how they fight, how they move, and their varying levels of determination for future references. 'These girls are giving me a better fight than I thought they would. It is starting to get hard for me to hold back as much as I have.' He ducked just in time for a cream pie to it Dash's face instead of his. 'And where in hell did the pies and cupcakes come from?!' Spike grabbed Rainbow while she was getting the whip cream out of her eyes and throws her to Applejack. The two once again collided and ended up in a dazed pile on the floor. 'I think it's time to wrap this up.' Suddenly a blue and purple magic doom appeared around the drake. Spike looked around and saw Rarity and Twilight standing side by side. With their hands and horns covered in a magic aura.

"Is this a conjoint spell?" Spike asked with a mildly impressed look on his face.

Twilight and Rarity smirked at their accomplishment even if they were felling some strain from sustaining the dome. "It is. Since nothing was working we decided to try something different. Though this is our first time trying a conjoint spell."

"Good thinking. If normal tactics don't work trying something creative can often help get you out of a tight spot." The purple dragon said as he experimentally knocked on the magic dome. "And this is pretty decent considering that this is the first time either of you has tried something like this."

"Then I hope you are ready to surrender?" Rarity asked calmly. Though it was easy to tell it was a façade with the amount of sweat on her brow from focusing on the spell.

"Yeah right. Like it is going to be that easy." Spike replied with a fanged smirk on his face. "Quick question, what do you do when you can't go over, around, and aren't willing to go through something?"

"Go under." Twilight answered.

"Exactly." Spike commented with a devious grin. In a blink of an eye the drake sunk into the ground. Leaving a cloud of dust and a hole where he stood.

"How did-" Rarity was about to ask but was cut as her and Twilight's ankles was grabbed by a claw coming from the ground. The two let out a scream as they were pulled down into the ground until everything from their shoulders down was buried. Out of nowhere the wandering dragon shot out of the ground and landed in front of the mares without a speck of dirt on him.

"Let that be a lesson to you two. If you're going to use a magic dome always make sure it covers the bottom as well." Spike lectured.

"This is the worst possible thing EVER!!!" Rarity screeched. "My clothes were hand made by yours truly and now their covered in dirt and probably ripped! Do you know how long it will take me to clean them?!"

"No and I don't really care." Spike blankly stated. "That is why it is a good idea to wear clothes that are sturdy, won't rip easily, and won't get in the way while you fight. I once saw this one mercenary almost choke himself to death because his cape got snagged on a tree branch." The dragon looked around and noticed one pony was missing. "Hey, where did...?"

"SURPRISE!!!" An excited shout come from his left. Spike zipped his head to the side and saw a grinning Pinkie that appeared out of nowhere with her signature party cannon.

"WHAT THE HE-" *KA-BOOM* Before Spike could finish his cursing Pinkie fired her cannon. An explosion of cake, confetti, and streamers so large that could knock your average person out cold sounded through the area.

"Did I get him?" Pinkie asked. Trying to look through the dust cloud her cannon made. A zap sounded behind her. She turned around to see Spike standing as if nothing had happened.

"Nope, but here's a consolation prize." The dragon took and breathed out a ball of green fire that covered the pink mare, much to the horror of everyone there. Surprisingly the fire and mare turned into a cloud of ashes and embers. It rose into the moved as if it had a mind of its own to the air above Applejack and Rainbow that were slowly getting up. The embers and ashes condensed and an unharmed, confused, dizzy Pinkie appeared. Only to fall on top of her two already sore friends. The three just laid there in a pile groaning while almost everyone else lets out a sign of relief. "I got to say I'm impressed." Spike praised the still dazed pink mare. "You almost had me. Too bad for you my reflexes and magic are quicker than your cannon." Spike was about to say more but he felt a presence behind. He turned around and saw something he didn't expect. He came face to face with a power that few have faced. A power that has made raging beasts fall to their knees. Has made grown men and women feel like scared little kids again.

Spike has found himself on the receiving end of Fluttershy's Stare.

A look of shook spread over his face as he stares into those blue willful eyes. While everyone who knew about the stare thought this was the final blow they needed for their win. They noticed that Spike body started to shake. Then he started to make a strange noise. And finally he did something that should not be possible. Something that no living being has done while being subjected to the Stare.

Spike threw his head back let out a roaring laugh.

Everyone who knew about Futtershy's infamous stare was speechless. Nobody has ever taken the full force of it and not submit to it. The shy mare herself looked at the drake and then her hands in shock and confusion. Wondering to herself if she did something wrong.

"Oh man, this is the biggest surprise yet!" He yelled out as he continued to laugh. "I'm not sure what I should more impressed by. That you of all people know that trick or the fact that you have that much willpower in you." Strangely enough his tone wasn't mocking or insulting. It was filled with genuine amazement and intrigue. "And here I thought I would have a tough time training you. If you have that much backbone inside than this might be easier than I thought. Here is a little tip bit for you. The Will Stare only works on those with weaker willpower than you." He then gave her a Stare of his own. One that was more powerful than hers. Fluttershy found herself becoming stiff as a statue. "Now, why don't you go over there and help your friends while I dig these two out. The test is over." The mare rapidly nodded her head and flew off to help Pinkie Applejack, and Rainbow back onto their hoofs. He turned his attention to the buried unicorns. Spike lifted his leg and stomped the ground. Causing the small tremor and the two mares shot out of the dirt. Their clothes a bit dirty but otherwise fine, much to Rarity's displeasure. After Fluttershy helped the rest of the Elements up they made their way to the Princesses, dragon, and guards.

"So Spike, what do you think about the Elements of Harmony's abilities?" Spike's teacher asked.

"Well they put up a better fight than I thought they would but they still have a long way to go before they are up to my standards." Spike replied. He quickly took a thoughtful expression on his face. "I already have soon ideas and plans on what kind of stuff I'm going to teach Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack. Though I'm going to have to do some thinking and experimenting to find fighting styles and or weapons that will be a good match for Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie."

"I'm sure that all of you will do well." Celestia said with a pleasant smile on her face. "I can tell that all of you are tired from the test so I'll teleport you all to Ponyville."

"Before you send us away when will I expect that permit so I can set up my place?" Spike asked.

"We should have it in a day or so. How much land do you need?"

"Large enough for a two story castle and a massive backyard that I can use as a training ground."

"Considering Ponyville isn't that big of a town it should be easy to find enough land that fit your location requirements. However it will most likely be on the outskirts of town."

"I'm okay with that." The purple drake replied. He then turned his attention to his teacher.

"Take care Spike, may Akatosh watch over you." Paar said as be bids farewell to his student.

"You too Teach." Paar's student said with a calm smile. "Don't be afraid to send me a letter if you need me."

"Take care my little ponies." The Princess of the Sun said and in a flash everyone was outside of the Golden Oaks Library. After getting over the sudden teleportation everyone said their goodbyes and went to their respective homes. Leaving only Twilight and Spike to stand in front of the library.

"So where is your place?" Spike asked the purple mare.

"We're standing in front of it." Twilight answered.

"Wait, you live...in a library." The drake asked with an raised scaly eyebrow.

"I know! Isn't great?" The mare answered with stars in her eyes. Causing Spike to label her as a bookworm in his head.

"Please tell you have a guest room or something?"

"Oh don't worry I do."

"That a relief. Now than let’s get inside. I want to get settled." The Wanderer relied as he open his door and went inside with Twilight behind him.

"Wait don't you need extra clothes and other things?" The mare asked. Only seeing the clothes he is wearing, his weapons, and the book bag.

"Don't worry. I got everything I need right here." The drake assured as he pats his book bag.

"If you say so. Since we will spend some time living together I want to set out the ground rules while you are staying here." From there Twilight went on and on about the rules of the library, how things should be done, and a lot of other stuff that Spike honestly didn't give two shits about. As Twilight went on about how books should be organized in over doing it way one though went through his mind.

'Thank Akatosh I getting my own place. No way in hell I'll be able to stand living with her full time.'