• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 5,871 Views, 104 Comments

Between Chaos and Creation - Donnys Boy



The sun is big and beautiful and bright. It warms you up, and it makes you smile. But the sun can also exhaust you. And if you stare directly into the sun, if you get all caught up in its beauty and forget to look away, it can blind you.

  • ...
9
 104
 5,871

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Do you remember what we said after all that? Do ya?”

Yes. Yes, of course Fluttershy remembered. She remembered that first day in Ponyville as clearly as if it had happened just last week. She wasn’t the kind of pony to miss important things simply because she wasn’t paying attention, nor was she one to mistake what was worth remembering for what wasn’t. For something that was meaningless or frivolous.

But Fluttershy would have been lying if she’d said that her heart didn’t skip a beat when she realized that Pinkie remembered--that Pinkie both remembered and wanted her to remember, too. Very quietly, the pegasus replied, “We both said that Ponyville felt like … like home.”

Those blue eyes lit up in response. “It totally did--and it still does! I mean, the Cakes are super great, and there’s Pound and Pumpkin, and of course I have all of you girls and Spike too! You guys are my family, no ifs, ands, or buts, and Ponyville is where I belong. I know it is.”

There was a “but” lurking somewhere, even though Pinkie didn’t actually say it, and Fluttershy nodded for her to continue.

“But there’s something I maybe never told you, ‘Shy. About the day you moved to Ponyville.” Pinkie crept forward a little nearer, close enough that Fluttershy could now feel the soft, enticing warmth emanating from the other pony. “When I said Ponyville felt like home, it wasn’t ‘cause of Applejack or Rarity or Dashie, because I hadn’t even met any of them yet. When I said Ponyville felt like home, it was because … because ...”

Fluttershy held her breath. She could feel a blush burning on her cheeks, but for once she didn’t care. For once, it didn’t matter. As Fluttershy sat and held her breath, the very air between she and Pinkie seemed to crackle and hum with an energy so tense that it almost hurt.

“It was because of you, ‘Shy. You felt like home.” Pinkie smiled, then, a smile as fragile and as beautiful as a hummingbird’s wings. “And I know we were friends for a really long time before we ever started going out on dates, but I think I always kinda sorta wanted to kiss you? Especially that day. I think I wanted to kiss you a whole, whole bunch that day.”

Fluttershy swallowed over the thick lump in her throat. Her heart beat so loud in her ears that she feared it might actually, finally explode.

Glancing away, Pinkie began fiddling with her fore hooves, like a nervous foal. “Kinda like I really want to kiss you a super, duper lot right now. But I know you don’t wanna kiss me right now and--and even if you did, I know you don’t like it when I grab you and hug you without asking, so I’m not gonna--”

And suddenly Fluttershy was kissing Pinkie Pie. Her forelegs were around Pinkie’s neck and clutching the earth pony tightly, so tightly that Fluttershy was almost afraid of hurting her, and it was warm and it was wonderful and it was perfect. Fluttershy held on for all that she was worth. She held on as though her life depended on it. In a way, she supposed it did.

Because she was drowning, and drowning was a scary thing, scarier than any dragon--but she didn’t let go. She dared not let go, because she knew she wasn’t drowning alone.

Only after long minutes did Fluttershy finally lean back and pull away from the kiss. Even as she did so, her forelegs still rested loosely around Pinkie Pie’s neck. “Oh, Pinkie,” she whispered, her eyes huge and wet with tears. “That’s why Ponyville felt like home to me, too. Because of you.”


She wasn’t entirely sure what she’d been expecting of Ponyville, but it wasn’t this. It actually proved to be almost overwhelming, how very not overwhelming Ponyville was. Behind the train station’s ticket counter there sat a drowsy stallion, snoring softly, and nearby there was a young unicorn mare exchanging hugs with an earth pony who’d just stepped off the train. Beyond the tiny station stood rows of cozy cottages and quaint little shops, with a handful of ponies trotting to and fro along dirt-paved roads.

This place could hardly be more different from Manehattan or from Fillydelphia. That much was certain. There were far too few ponies and far too much greenery.

Almost despite herself, Fluttershy smiled.

Meanwhile, the mare standing beside Fluttershy, who’d been shifting uneasily from hoof to hoof while Fluttershy took in the sights, suddenly took off. The other pony seemed aimed for the tallest building in town and was shooting through the air like an arrow from a bow. Startled and more than a little flustered, Fluttershy hustled to follow after. Nearly every pony along the way grinned and waved as the two pegasi sped by. While Fluttershy mumbled greetings in return, the mare ahead of her merely nodded as she tore through Ponyville’s streets.

Finally, Fluttershy caught up enough to to call out, “Rainbow Dash! Where are we going?”

“You see that big building up ahead?” The other pegasus briefly glanced over her shoulder, just long enough to point to their destination. “That’s gonna be the town hall, and that’s where we’re gonna find out about this place’s weather pony.”

Fluttershy frowned. “It doesn’t really look like a weather control bureau office ...”

“Yeah, that’s ‘cause it’s not!” Dash laughed and shook her head. “A town this size? They’re not gonna have their own entire bureau office, ‘Shy. Cloudsdale probably does oversight or something.”

“Oh,” said Fluttershy, blushing. Rainbow Dash had always known so much more about Equestria’s Weather Control Bureau than she had. It was the one part of their schooling that Dash had consistently liked and been good at, to tell the truth, and it was the reason Fluttershy had always assumed Dash dropped out of school. To go be a weather mare.

But it seemed as though Fluttershy had been wrong about that. About that and about a lot of other things, actually.

Rainbow Dash slowed down as they approached the town hall, and Fluttershy reached out to her friend with a hesitant hoof. Dash’s shoulder tensed as soon as Fluttershy made contact.

“Rainbow? I just wanted to say again how sorry I am that you and Gilda--”

“Oh, hey, would ya look at that? We’re here!” Dash turned to face Fluttershy, a shaky grin on her lips and a hint of pain in her eyes. “C’mon, let’s go find out just who runs this two-bit town.”

The answer to that question, as it turned out, was a very frazzled-looking earth pony sporting a brown coat and light gray mane. The two pegasi found her in a sparsely decorated room inside the building, pacing back and forth in front of a giant oak desk far too large for the tiny office that housed it. Fluttershy glanced over to Dash, biting her lip, but Dash simply shrugged in reply.

“Um, excuse me?” Fluttershy offered, in a voice barely above a whisper..

Nothing. The earth pony mare seemed not to hear, as she continued pacing and muttering to herself. Reluctantly, Fluttershy cleared her throat and tried again. “Excuse me, ma’am? I’m very sorry to interrupt, but we--”

At that, the older mare’s head whipped around. “A pegasus!” Then her eyes narrowed, in a way that reminded Fluttershy, rather uncomfortably, of the way a fox might look at a chicken. “Two pegasi, even!”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Uh, yeah. That’s us. Two pegasi. Anyway, we’re here because we were wondering if you have any info on a--”

“You’re perfect! You’re perfect, and you’re hired!” The mare chortled a bit and reached out to grab one of Dash’s fore hooves. “Let me tell you, after our last weather pony, a pegasus is a real sight for sore eyes! Town nearly flooded completely. Utter disaster. Almost wiped out the entire orchard down at Sweet Apple Acres, and you know what that would mean for cider season.”

“N-not really?” replied Fluttershy, who watched with increasing concern as Rainbow Dash got dragged away.

The older mare chortled a bit. “Never again, I say! Never again will Ponyville hire an earth pony as weather mare, no matter how good her references are.” Suddenly she leaned in close to Dash, stage-whispering, “Though just between you and me, I think some of those references might have been faked.”

Instantly, Fluttershy snapped to attention. An earth pony. An earth pony who’d been weather mare.

“Where?” she blurted out. “Tell me!”

Both Dash and the other mare whirled around to stare at her. The earth pony looked startled, while Dash’s expression teetered somewhere between surprise and admiration.

“That is, if you don’t mind.” Almost involuntarily, Fluttershy began worrying her bottom lip. “I was just wondering where ... where that weather pony might have ... might have ...”

Rainbow Dash grinned, a grin that Fluttershy had seen many a time before and had come to know almost as well as she knew her own name. With a gleam in her eyes, Dash turned to the earth pony. “Look, lady, here’s the deal. You want a pegasus for a weather pony? You got yourself a pegasus weather pony--if you tell us what happened to the earth pony who got fired.”

“Oh, her?” The mare shrugged and took off her glasses, wiping them with the ascot that hung around her neck. “Well, there’s no need to feel guilty, if that’s what you mean. I hear she’s doing quite well as the Cakes’ new apprentice down at Sugarcube Corner.”

Fluttershy sucked in her breath.

Still grinning, Rainbow Dash draped a foreleg around the other mare. “You hear that, ‘Shy? She’s doing just fine. Down at Sugarcube Corner.” She glanced over and gave Fluttershy a wink. “Now, me and the lady here have to talk some business about my new job, so why don’t you go grab a cupcake or something from the bakery?”

Fluttershy swallowed nervously. “Are you ... are you sure?”

“Yeah. Everything’s cool. Get outta here.” Rainbow’s grin softened a bit. “And don’t worry too much, okay? After all, you’re pretty good at this whole ‘finding ponies who need finding’ deal.”

With a grateful nod, Fluttershy spun on her heel and went charging out of the town hall and into the bright sunlight beyond. Once outside, she quickly glanced around in order to locate a pony who looked friendly enough to approach for directions. But instead, she spotted a huge, towering cupcake--or, at least, a building that had been built to look like a huge, towering cupcake. For a few moments, Fluttershy just stood and stared in awe at the ridiculously giant pastry. And as she stood there and stared at its terrible majesty, she knew. She knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if Pinkie Pie was to be found in Ponyville, she would be found in that absurd cupcake.

She galloped through the streets of the town, doing her very best to ignore the curious stares from the myriad ponies she passed, as she kept her eyes locked on the gloriously pink spire of the cupcake building. When she reached the building at last, a sign above the door informed her in cheerful lettering that this was, indeed, Sugarcube Corner.

Fluttershy skidded to a halt just outside the building, her heart hammering in her chest--whether from sheer nervousness or from the exertion of all that running, she couldn’t quite tell. She licked her lips and stared hard at the door. Maybe this wasn’t where Pinkie Pie worked. Maybe there was a second earth pony mare, somewhere in Equestria, who’d wanted to be a weather pony. Maybe ...

Maybe she was stalling.

But she couldn’t back down now. Not after making it this far. Besides, she owed it to Pinkie Pie to at least try, and she owed it to Rainbow Dash. And perhaps, whispered some quiet, hidden corner of her mind, she owed it to herself, too.

Setting her jaw and straightening her shoulders, Fluttershy stepped up and pushed open the door to the bakery. Inside she found a riot of different colors and sounds and smells. The entire room, from floor to ceiling, had been decorated to look like pastries and candies, just as the outside of the building had been. Her gaze kept bouncing from one corner of the bakery to the next, as she struggled to take it all in. Eventually her eyes fell upon the bakery counter.

Pinkie Pie was standing eerily still and looking straight at her, almost straight through her. Only now and here did it occur to Fluttershy that her sudden appearance in Ponyville might not be the welcome surprise that she’d hoped. It took nearly all of her willpower to not flinch away from Pinkie’s unforgiving and unblinking stare, to not turn tail and flee the bakery.

“I-I’m sorry,” Fluttershy stammered, struggling to fight down the urge to vomit. “I should have written to you. Or, um. Something. I should have done something. And ... and this was a very silly idea, and I’m so sorry that I--”

At that point, she was interrupted by a sudden blur of pink that knocked her right onto her back. The world turned soft and sugary and overwhelmingly pink, as Pinkie Pie crushed her in a hug as strong as a pegasus tornado.

“Fluttershy! You … you came to Ponyville!” Pinkie’s voice cracked, just the tiniest bit, before she burst into booming laughter that felt as warm as sunshine. “You’re here! You’re really, really here!”

Now that they were this close, Fluttershy noticed that there was a rainbow-colored whistle dangling from Pinkie’s neck. Fluttershy sucked in a breath. The whistle had been her payment for that train ticket out to Los Pegasus. It wasn’t worth the price of a ticket, of course, not in terms of pure money, but it had been all she’d had to give. The most valuable thing she’d had to give.

Slowly Fluttershy smiled, a smile nearly as big and as warm as the laugh of the bubbly earth pony atop her. “Yes, Pinkie. I’m really, really here.”


“So ... what now?” It wasn’t a question Fluttershy wanted to ask, but it was a question that had to be. “What do we do now?”

Pinkie didn’t answer for a moment. “I dunno. But we’ll figure something out.”

“You always say that,” Fluttershy murmured, but there was no real heat to the complaint, no edge.

“That’s ‘cause we always do!” Pinkie laughed, loud and pure, and Fluttershy enjoyed the gentle rumbling she could feel through the earth pony’s entire chest. “Maybe we just gotta … gotta remember what it was like when we first moved here. Just gotta remember how Ponyville was big enough for me and small enough for you, y’know?”

Fluttershy turned that over in her mind for a bit before replying, in a soft voice, “You mean we should remember what we have in common and why we fell in love with one another in the first place?”

“Yeah! Something like that!”

Another laugh followed, a patented Pinkie Pie laugh that seemed to fill up the entire room, to fill up the entire world, and Fluttershy couldn’t quite help but giggle right along. That was one of the best and the worst things about Pinkie’s laughs, how infectious they were. They always made you laugh, too, whether you wanted to or not.

It felt good, though, to laugh after all that crying. There was no denying it. As Fluttershy’s giggles faded away, leaving behind a warm, bright glow in the center of her chest, the pegasus nuzzled her nose into the other mare’s mane.

“It’s not that easy, you know. I still ... I still don’t like big parties, and I still don’t like scary surprises, and ... and ...”

“I know, ‘Shy. I know.” Pinkie Pie nuzzled her back. “But it’s a start, right?”

Fluttershy supposed it was. She supposed it wasn’t a bad start, either, at that.

“Just trust your good old Auntie Pinkie Pie,” the earth pony continued, in a gently wheedling tone, as she pulled Fluttershy up against her chest. “Sometimes, you just gotta believe a little. You gotta take a leap of faith.”

Fluttershy smiled into the softness of Pinkie’s mane. “Just a hop, skip, and a jump?”

“Exactamundo!”

It still wasn’t an answer. It still wasn’t a plan or a solution. But in that moment, as she breathed in the slightly sugary scent of Pinkie’s mane, as she felt herself relax against the warm chest of the pony she loved, Fluttershy found herself relenting. She found herself believing--perhaps not in all of the mysterious things that Pinkie believed in, perhaps not in the idea that love could conquer all, but she found herself believing in something even bigger and something even better.

“I believe,” she whispered into Pinkie’s hair. “I believe in you.”

THE END

Comments ( 46 )

Awh, and it ends so sweetly, suddenly I can't taste the sugar in my tea.

That is the perfect ending to this amazing story.

d'awwwwww

Awhhh :fluttershysad: I would have loved to see a little more in the now, with them actually doing those things which make them happy.

That said, a great story. Thanks for sharing. :twilightsmile:

Looks like a trip to my dentist is in order, this was just too sweet! I really enjoyed this, especially since ShyPie isn't a pairing you see very often. Liked, fave'd and moustache'd :moustache:

This was a lovely end to a lovely little story. When the past went back around full circle as well as the well-deserved smooches, I think my heart at least went gelatinous, if not full-on melted. But I think my favorite part of this final chapter is that not everything is resolved. NOt everything magically gets better after Pinkie and 'Shy talk about things, but for now it's enough that they did. And Pinkie's boundless optimism for their ability to keep on keeping on is both delightful and incredibly in-character in the way you always pull off with everyone's favorite party girl. Because as much as we like to think that everything will be fine, and as much as we may feel that Fluttershy and Pinkie are perfect for each other and incredibly cute together at all times (I am incredibly guilty of this), they are very different ponies in many ways. You always do a great job of reminding me why they can get so broken, but here you've also shown why they still work, even when they are.

They haven't fixed their problems. But they're going to make it work, because they've proven they're so at home together, and because love.

If only I could favourite this again. :heart:

Sweet. That sums it up, I think. :)

...and that's a wrap. Given the circumstances, this is probably the best we can hope for at this point for Pinkie and Fluttershy. Mostly because Fluttershy is involved, nothing fast is going to happen. But, at least there's a chance and Fluttershy is willing to trust in Pinkie once more like she did in the past. Somehow in all of this, I wonder if Pinkie will tone it down for Fluttershy to really make it last. Best of luck, Pinkie. :heart:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by the jump forward in the timeline, and that we didn't see Fluttershy's reunion with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie arriving in Ponyville, or Fluttershy and Pinkie's time together after the reunion. Or that we saw so little of the current events as opposed to the flashbacks. But there is certainly an argument to be made for brevity, and you didn't show any less than you needed to make an impact.

An excellent story, sir.

you like synchronicity while reading this my winamp played "low mans lyric" Metallica then Fleetwood mack "the chain" how usual, also "I believe in you" thanks Belinda

great fic I love your works hope you keep writing so i have something to read

I love how you handle the telling of this, all through. I love that we don't see 'Shy tracking Dash down, that Dash's own struggles are only hinted at - because at the end of the day, it's not her story. It's not where 'Shy's focus would be, thinking back on it. It's 'Shy's story, and it's Pinkie's story, and even though Dash is a big part of both of those stories and even though she played a huge if unintentional role in bringing those two stories together, she's not the part that matters most right now. I think that works, and I think the skip ahead reinforces just what 'Shy's really thinking about in this moment.

I adore your character voices, too - I'm pretty sure I say that every time I comment on one of your stories, but that's because it's consistently true. 'Shy here is beautifully done, and you paint her personality marvelously with single words and little details - the standout in this chapter, at least for me, being her description of Sugarcube Corner. The way she describes the place, the way she's just... dumbstruck by the sheer absurdity of it, tells us a lot about her, I think. And I like that it serves to highlight the differences between her and Pinkie, well her mad, desperate, thoughtless rush to find her friend (*cough* love *cough*) parallels Pinkie's own desperate need to find 'Shy in the previous chapter. It's just wonderful.

Also, I love that your characters shine through as themselves even when we aren't seeing through their eyes. That's worded terribly, but what I mean is that it's easy to envision the thoughts behind Pinkie's actions here, and what she must be feeling, because they line up so well with what we've seen in earlier chapters and they make perfect sense for Pinkie. Obviously consistency of character is an important thing, but I feel like few people manage it quite as well as you do.

And the ending. It hurts me. It hurts my heart because - as you well know - I can't see this ending up anywhere good. But maybe it doesn't need to. Maybe it's enough if they can make each other happy for just a little while longer. And maybe, just maybe, as stubborn and as in love as they are, they can make it work.

Beautiful stuff, my friend nemesis.

I'm looking around at all the articulate comments about beautiful this was, and all I thought to say was: Cute! :heart:

I rather prefer pinkie be with Twilight or someone else. fluttershy....it just one she cant handle being social like pinkie can since Fluttershy is so introverted and Fluttershy isn't my favorite character so i may be biased against fluttershy ships in general. So all i can say is pinks what do you see in her? I mean if i was pinkie i would be glad Fluttershy dumped me now she cant be a buzzkill at my parties anymore and now i can finally be with someone who enjoys my lifestyle and has more in common with me. I just think she shouldn't have to change for someone i mean she is who she is. pinkie not throwing big parties wouldn't be her anymore. then agian i think a relationship that has a partner who has to change drastically for the other is probably not a very healthy one.

You broke me. I got way behind and just caught up and it's the end? Well... a few people well summed up my mangled thoughts on this. All in all, a brilliant story. I'm so broken. I'm so amazingly, mushily broken. :heart:

You know, I still don't see why the party thing should really be all that much of an issue for them in the first place. Fluttershy does enjoy Pinkie's smaller parties, so it seems like it would be just fine for her to skip some of the larger ones. Pinkie and Fluttershy certainly do have their differences, but I think they're both kind-hearted and flexible enough to work out a balance. We've already seen how Pinkie knows to be gentler with Fluttershy than she is with most ponies, after all.

Anyway, it was a nice story, and an interesting explanation for how they all met and wound up in Ponyville. And I like the bit about Ponyville being big enough for Pinkie and small enough for Fluttershy. Balance, I say.

2462873 Argh, I hate how replies on different chapters don't send out a notification. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, although ironically, two of them were already in my Read Later list, since I recently finally went and looked through a FlutterPie group.

2491889
2491922
2492058
2492224
2492594
Aww, thanks! Glad you think it was an okay ending. :twilightsmile:

2492185
Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer that there isn't more Happy Stuff post-reconciliation, but this chapter was already the longest of all of 'em.

2492262
2492277
I'm really pleased that you both seem to like the open-ended nature of the final chapter. I actually haven't completely decided, in my own mind, whether they end up staying together for the long haul or not, after that. But I think, even if they don't, they'll be glad they tried the best they could.

2493003
Pink pony's gonna give it her all ... and really, that's the best any of us can do, isn't it? :pinkiehappy:

2493238
I'm glad to hear you think it still made an impact. I was experimenting a bit, to see how compact I could get the story-telling here--I'm pretty sure this is the shortest of my multi-chaptered stories--and so Rainbow Dash's role was limited to a cameo. I suspect the very beginning might've benefited most from some expansion.

2493488
I am all about synchronicity. :pinkiehappy: Thanks for reading!

2494464
I'm so, so happy you like this. I mean, I'm always happy when you like my stuff, but I'm particularly happy that you like this story, 'cause, well, it's entirely your fault I wrote it. (You jerk. :pinkiehappy:)

And interesting that you liked that the stuff with Dash was mostly just hinted at. The rest of Dash's appearance in the story was done that way, so I did the final chapter in similar style, for continuity. Also, as you mentioned--yeah, it's not Dash's story. (Sorry, Dash!) I guess I just liked the idea of Rainbow as a sort of larger than life figure, kind of lurking around the periphery of the story. Dunno why.

Also, I don't think it's a given by any means that they'll last ... but I definitely think it's possible. But then, you knew that.

2496147
I am more than happy to receive a "cute." Thank you!

2497889
I don't really know what to say. The entire story is pretty much entirely about that conflict--about two ponies who love one another a whole lot but are different in some really important and possibly destructive ways--and I think the ending allows for interpretations of both "yes, they ultimately stay together" and "no, they ultimately don't stay together."

2508376
Awww. That's such a great compliment to receive. Thank you. :twilightsmile:

2511901
Yeah, I think I botched the beginning a bit. I'd meant the party scene to not just be a stand-alone thing but to suggest Ongoing and Serious Problems of Long Duration, and I think it simply didn't work. Might go back and try to revise at some point.

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback!

2516895

Well, I could tell the large-party thing wasn't supposed to be their only issue, but it was kind of unclear what those other problems were supposed to be. That's why I added that bit about how they definitely have their differences, because in the case of FlutterPie, I see their differences as being complimentary, rather than troublesome. Like Pinkie's optimistic energy and enthusiasm helps Fluttershy have more confidence in herself and expand her boundaries, with the Hop, Skip, Jump instance being a good example. And in reverse, Pinkie's recognition that Fluttershy needs a gentler touch helps bring out her sensitive, calmer side in a positive way, and tone down her tendency to overwhelm other ponies. Pinkie is a perfect cheerleader for Fluttershy, while 'Shy helps keep Pinkie a little saner.

So yeah, I believe their differences would be very good for each other. So maybe it's my preconceptions, but I did have a hard time seeing what larger conflict the party issue was supposed to be pointing toward, even though I could tell it was meant to suggest something bigger. I guess I needed it spelled out more for this pairing. FlutterDash, as a contrast, would be just the opposite, I believe, where their differences would frustrate each other and create a very unhealthy relationship on both sides.

2517033 The party is just an example (or symbol) of the problems their relationship has had in the past. Though their differences can be complimentary, like the examples you gave, they can be detrimental to their relationship as well. It's all in the outlook you have. With a positive outlook (like you seem to have), Fluttershy's gentleness tempers Pinkie's randomness, while Pinkie's charisma helps overcome Fluttershy's lack of self-confidence. However, if you look at the differences as being problems (like Fluttershy was) then it starts to become a problem. Pinkie is high-energy, Fluttershy needs her quiet. Pinkie is the wildflower to Fluttershy's wallflower. In situations like the party, which probably happen often what with Pinkie being Pinkie, Fluttershy feels emotionally and physically drained. When she compares how she feels to how Pinkie, the Life of the Party, seems to thrive in situations like this, she's more focused on how their differences can (and at that point are) driving them apart, which leads her to believe that she is hurting Pinkie by being with her, and to her decision to break up.

FlutterPie (when it is in the beginning/early part or their relationship) is usually written with this sort of conflict at the onset of their relationship after their euphoric "honeymoon" phase, or an obstacle to overcome before they even become marefriends, with the end result being that they discover how good they are together.(IMO) Donny is basing this fic, rather than on the happier parts of their relationship, entirely around the struggle they have to overcome their differences before they can embrace them.

I think the party scene is fine as is, because it gets the feeling across that this is a part of a long-standing conflict in their relationship that always escalates into arguments. Besides, he still ends the story on a hopeful high-note.

2547255

Hmm. Well, yes, it's not hard to imagine that their "speeds" at which they approach life wouldn't always match up, but it was the part about it devolving into arguments and snapping at each other that was tough for me to see. I just have a hard time imagining that either of those two would take those differences so personally as to say hurtful things to each other, but rather would be willing to grant each other their space when they need it.

If anything, rather than saying things they regret, I think they'd be more likely to each blame themselves for not always wanting to participate in the other's interests. I suppose perhaps that's meant to be the basis of the problem, but I don't know, I see them both as being forgiving enough that one conversation and they'd both tell each other to feel free to take the time to recharge in their own way when they need to. They don't have to spend every moment together, after all; Fluttershy still has her animals, and Pinkie is still friends with pretty much everyone, so it seems like they each have a natural outlet. They might feel a little guilty about it sometimes, but it doesn't seem like that would turn into hurting each other with these two.

So I guess it's just a matter of whether the potential internal conflicts would turn into external conflicts or not. As another contrast, Jackity (RariJack) is a more common pairing, where they can both be stubborn enough that it's almost inevitable that they would end up taking jabs at each other sometimes during the times they don't mesh. I like that pairing too, but it would be a very turbulent one in the exact sort of times where I think FlutterPie would be flexible for each other.

2547528 That's true, but who they are is also, while you say it would only take one conversation to understand that they need space sometimes, but it is also a part of the problem. Fluttershy is meek, unbelievable so, at times, but she is. She's a doormat, to quote Rarity. Not that Pinkie would treat her like one, but Fluttershy will almost always give in to another pony's wants before her own. She'll say something is "fine" when it isn't, or pretend to enjoy something when she doesn't. Even if Pinkie can sense that Fluttershy is upset (which I like to think she could) her go-to method of cheering someone up is a party. So you're at the hypothetical point that Pinkie is throwing parties for Fluttershy to cheer her up, parties that Flutters doesn't even want to be in but can't stand to hurt Pinkie by saying so, because Pinkie Pie is THE Party Pony. And you have to think, when Fluttershy "snaps" like she said she does in the story, it's probably not a full-blown argument. It's more likely similar to when she critiques Rarity's dress for her in Suited For Success

So hypothetically you've got a Pinkie Pie Party thrown for Fluttershy to cheer her up, but it isn't working because Flutters wants either some alone time with Pinkie, or just to be by herself. But Pinkie, thinking cheering someone up calls for a party, just sees that she's not enjoying it. She thinks she's failed at cheering Flutters up (which she has), and asks her about it. 'Shy says everything is "fine" but Pinkie presses her to tell the truth. No, she's really enjoying the party, she's "fine". C'mon Shy-Shy, you can tell me what's wrong. It's "fine" Pinkie. Tell me! Don't worry about it Pinkie. Tell me! It's really not that big a deal... Tell me! Please, Pinkie, can't we talk about it later? Tell me! Tell me! Tell me! Well, if you really want to know *inhales* the music is too loud, there's too many ponies here, I don't even really KNOW any of them outside of our friends, Cloudchaser over there used to make fun of me and I've never felt comfortable around her since then, the cake is coconut when I really like red velvet and the decorations are from your "celebrate winning a prize" and not "cheer somepony up" box. But...um...what you've done here is "fine".

And somehow I managed to slip from narrating an idea to dialogue-ing it. Huh.

Pinkie knows she's failed at throwing a party, so it's ruined for her. Fluttershy never really liked it. Everypony else continues on oblivious. Pinkie tries to throw another party to make up to Shy, and the cycle continues. Pinkie feels bad because she can't throw a party right for Fluttershy, so she pretends it isn't a problem and invites her to all other parties since she can't seem to get Fluttershy's parties right. Fluttershy goes because she loves Pinkie, but is uncomfortable the entire time she's there both because she's uncomfortable around so many ponies, and also because she knows that by not enjoying the party, Pinkie is hurt. But she went anyway because she's trying to do right by Pinkie by doing something she enjoy. Eventually Flutters feels she's hurt Pinkie too much, and rather than talking about it, she thinks the best thing to do is to stop being together, even though they love each other. And that's where Donny's story brings us.

2547599

Yes, that could make sense for a while, but the question is whether that's what's happening in this particular story. That problem as you present it should only last for as long as the miscommunication continues, and how long would that be? I kinda got the impression that they had discussed it to some degree in this fic, at least judging by the "I still ... I still don’t like big parties, and I still don’t like scary surprises, and ... and ...” “I know, ‘Shy. I know.” exchange.

And more generally, I would hope Fluttershy would learn to air her concerns a little more freely with a romantic partner, especially since she has improved some over time already. And even if not, I bet Pinkie would eventually start to notice a pattern to the level of excitement that starts to overwhelm Fluttershy. 'Shy really does enjoy the smaller parties, so I think Pinkie would gradually recognize that Flutters was unhappy specifically during the intense, loud ones, or excessive frequency.

So it seems like a problem that would resolve as they grow to understand each other better over time. And if that never happens, well that's a separate problem entirely, because any couple that fails to communicate is in trouble.

2547736 That's all very valid, but I get the feeling that this story is happening... rather early in terms of their being together as a couple. Maybe somewhere in the first few months? Before Pinkie figures out the kind of parties it is okay to bring Fluttershy to, before Fluttershy is comfortable with telling Pinkie things she might not want to hear about her parties. Basically, that that "miscommunication" as you put it, is still continuing, and that Fluttershy doesn't see talking about it as a solution, but that her only choice is to break up with Pinkie. I don't doubt that they communicate with each other. That's why Pinkie knows about big parties and scary surprises and such. It's sort of like Pinkie is optimistically looking at the problem with "we haven't figured it out yet, but we will" (leading to her shock and surprise when Fluttershy breaks up with her) while Fluttershy is a more pessimistic "If we haven't found a solution/middle ground yet, what are the odds that we will ever find one? It's better to just stop now."
By the beginning of the story, they don't have a solution. In fact, by the end they STILL don't, but they agree to keep trying.

2547843

It would be quite a bit more understandable if this story is still fairly early on in their relationship, yes, and they just don't quite "get" each other completely yet. Somehow I guess I got the opposite impression from it, that it was a problem slowly developing over time, after they'd been a couple for a while, but maybe that's wrong.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they've already been good friends for years before they became a couple, so I assumed that they would have already figured a lot of these things out before romance ever even entered the picture. I suppose there are always things that you never really learn about someone until you're dating them, though.

2548156 Well then:

But you're right that they should have known that about each other. And you really do know more about someone you're together with once you start dating, even if you have been friends for years...So we'll just have to hope that's it. Since, you know, they've known each other for ten years in this fic. Casts significant glare at DB.

2548156
2548364
I guess I was drawing on personal experience a lot, here. Knowing and understanding someone--even communicating well with someone--doesn't at all guarantee that you'll be able to work out all your problems or stop driving one another crazy. I had a few relationships where we were both really great at talking over our problems ... and despite all that talking, not one of those problems ever got better, so eventually we broke up.

I'm actually not sure how long Pinkie and Fluttershy have been together at the start of the story. Not for years, but probably longer than just a few weeks? I did have in mind that the "present day" story takes place a year or two post Season Three, for whatever that's worth.

2552468

This has nothing to do with anything, but that was the strangest timing I've ever seen for a reply. I just noticed I still had this tab open from my comment exchange with Adenbadens yesterday, so I decided to refresh it first before closing it. And while the page was loading, a notification popped up, then instantly disappeared again as soon as it finished. Somehow you sent that reply in the few seconds it took for the page to load.

Anyway, I suppose that could make sense, so I'll just have to side with Pinkie here and be optimistic that these two will successfully resolve their conflicts eventually.

2552468 Yea, I know how it is in that sometimes talking about problems doesn't always lead to resolving them, Still, I'm glad it's all working for them in the story. That's the important thing.

> Fluttershy just stood and stared in awe at the ridiculously giant pasty

As much as I love this sentence out of context, that should probably read "pastry."

I liked this story, it's hard to find a decent Fluttershy x Pinkie one as they are pretty rare *or at least getting anything past a one-shot to read is*. I was a bit disappointed at some of the lost scenes. Fluttershy meeting up with RD would have been a really nice reunion piece to read about, as well as seeing what they did afterwards and Fluttershy explaining her interest in finding Pinkie again. But what you put in was done quite well and I'm glad to have read it. : )
Now if only you would continue this in a sequel.

2561241
Is fixed now. Thanks!

Gotta love this stuff.

I think what you do so well, among many, many things, is write Pinkie Pie so well. I've noticed that stays constant through out almost everything of yours that i've read, from this story, to "our true colors", to even a good chunk of the thirty minute writing prompts tumblr.

The narrative structure of the story was solid, and was oddly refreshing compared to more standard(?) ways of telling a story. The pacing was excellent.

and the ending. Not a "suddenly everything's better", but a chance, for Fluttershy and Pinkie to try to work out their problems, and proceed into an uncertain future. In between all of it, there were several details that added depth to the story; Rainbow's whistle, Pinkie dream of being a weather pony, Dash's glazing over what happened with Gilda.

overall an excellent story

... wow. The story is... fantastic. I can't say what I like about it...
Oh wait! I can! :pinkiehappy:
The ending threw for a real loop! It reminds me of another series...

"Listen up, Simon. Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the Kamina who believes in you!" -Kamina

2695234
Thanks, both for the comments in general and for the kind words about my Pinkie writing specifically. :twilightsmile: I adore Pinkie, and I try to do right by her, but it's not always intuitive--I'm actually very, very different than she is, and it's sometimes a challenge writing a character very different than one's self.

2987228
Ha, ha! That quote's very fitting. Glad you liked the story!

I'm so glad I found you again You have an incredible way of writing that I admire! I also admired that you are the only author I know who can write Pinkie so well! I loved your RariPie pieces and this one was superb too! I wish I could write so good. You have a gift! :yay::pinkiehappy:

3007227
:pinkiehappy:

3013034
Oh, thank you! That's very kind of you to say! Also, in terms of good Pinkie writing, I think Cloudy Skies, Baby Seal Burritos, and Professor Piggy, among many others, all write some really great Pinkie characterizations. :twilightsmile:

You make me feel, so many things. You've written alot of my all time favourite vignettes, and ships on this site. Both inspirational, or just emotionally pleasing. Ah-

3112692
Aww, that's really nice of you to say. Thanks. :twilightsmile:

How dare you? Trying to make me tear up and sob and... stuff. :fluttercry:

Seriously, though - that was a wonderful story. It's always a hard to swallow when it starts with a break-up. But it makes the bittersweet relief so much more intense... knowing what could have been and reading how it was fixed...
There isn't much FlutterPie out there - a sad fact - and this one is definitely one of the better ones. Well-written, well-paced... and touching.

Thank you.

MUST..FIGHT....THE FEELS!!
I lost.....
Great story! This made me sad, happy, giddy, and weird all at the same time. FEELINGS: HOW DO THEY EVEN WORK! Anyone with a brain can see that you put allot of work and effort into this masterpiece. You should be very proud of this achievement!

5348970
5375397

Thanks very much, both! Really glad you liked the story! And yes, there is a great need for quality FlutterPie in the world.

But but but but...
Why did RD leave Cloudsdale all of a sudden?:rainbowderp:
I think that a paragraph may have been eaten because RD just shows up wanting a job, no reunion with Fluttershy.
What happened with Gilda (can't have been the episode because of timing)?:derpyderp1:
Does Fluttershy get the whistle back?:fluttercry:
How is it possible for such a happy ending to hurt?:raritycry:
I only added all the emoticons cause I was bored.

Such sappy d'aaaw, I hope things work out for them.

Adorable. I like it. Felt good to read it.

Login or register to comment