• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 4,842 Views, 204 Comments

Sacrifice - The Grimm Reaper



Celestia has had enough of her sister being rejected for her past sins, so she decides to do something about it.

  • ...
48
 204
 4,842

Sacrifice (Original One-Shot)

It had happened again. Luna had returned home to me after another attempt at making friends. While Ponyville was promising, the rest of Equestria still feared the dreaded Nightmare Moon. It hadn’t been this bad before. She’d only gone out into the main city. I didn’t care who had done it, it was the fact that it had been done. Luna had come home to me with tears streaming down her face like waterfalls. It was a pitying sight to behold and it crushed my heart to see her like this.

“T’is…not fair…sister… we’ve done all we can, yet those… peasants refuse… to…recognise us.” Luna managed to say between sobs. She pounded against my already pained heart when she burst into tears again. This was not the future either of us had imagined. It was not fair for her to suffer beyond her sentence, yet the subjects who swore fealty to the throne usurped their rights and shunned one such member.

I’d been patient with Equestria for a while, but seeing my sister like this was too much for me to bear. I would stand for such insolence from our subjects no longer. “Rise, Luna.” I projected my voice with a serious tone to it. Since returning to me, she had been much more timid. She would have hated to lose my trust once again. She gave me her full attention as she tried to collect herself and rise to her hooves.

“We have been lenient and have given our ponies plenty of chances to love you again, yet it is clear to me that the subtle approach that you have attempted is not enough. I believed that since you had succeeded on Nightmare Night in Ponyville, that the rest of Equestria would accept you on any other days. Clearly, that is not the case, and I cannot ask my student to vouch for you in every city.” I said. She listened intently, undoubtedly wanting m to reach the point of my one-sided conversation.

“I want you to return to your chambers Luna, and don’t raise the moon tonight.” I could tell that she was upset at that idea, that she believed since our subjects could not trust her, neither could I. But I was not going to let her in on the plan. I would make it a surprise for her.

*****

Dusk approached and the ponies were getting ready to drift into slumber. As the last rays of the sun fell beneath the horizon, I worked my magic. Focusing what I could, I brought the sun back up, letting the moon rest once more. My glorious ball of fire stood high above the sky once again, and rested directly above Equestria. I watched as the ponies all exited their homes to look up at the sky in wonder. Some of the nobles began a fast paced trek to the castle. It was the fastest I’d ever seen those stuck-up prigs move, second only to their personal problems.

I took my place at my throne and changed my form to something more appealing to the situation. Instead of a multi-coloured mane and tail, they were alight like a living flame, my mane wrapping around my form like a shawl. The first of the nobles entered and looked upon me. His reaction to my change almost had me laughing but I settled for a smile.

“Why have you come here? Do you have an appointment?” I asked. I used a variation of the Royal Canterlot voice, making sure it wasn’t so loud as to blow wind in the noble’s face, but loud enough to echo through the room.

“Well… No, your highness, but–.”

“Then explain your presence here!” I demanded, the voice a little louder. He cringed at my interruption. I tried to think like a cruel ruler and noticed that this noble, as well as the others, when faced with a threatening situation that they could not overcome, they truly were snivelling little cowards, just like my nephew, Blueblood.

“Th-the s-s-sun is still up, your highness…” he replied shakily. I looked out the window for a moment.

“So it is. What of it?” I asked. The noble was taken aback.

“Well, it’s just that… the night usually comes at this time. The sun had set and now it’s… back.” he reiterated. I sighed at him and rose to my hooves. With each step, flames crept around the armour.

“Ah, well you see… the thing is this; It’s come to my attention that Equestria doesn’t trust my sister. Yet they trust me.” I said.

“I… don’t understand the connection, Princess.” he replied with a guilty look on his features.

“Well, since Luna is the one responsible for raising the moon, it only makes sense that you dislike and distrust the night also. As a result, I’ve detained my sister and I shall give you what you preferred from the very beginning: Eternal sunlight.” My mane increased in heat intensity for a moment and the noble was forced to cover his face with a hoof.

“But, Princess…”

“It’s too late to for you all to complain, this is what you deserve after all. If you don’t like the one responsible for the night, you shan’t get any night. Now; good day, my pony.” I said, turning around to face away from him.

“But Princess, this isn’t right! You can’t just–.”

GOOD DAY!” I boomed, throwing him out of the chamber with my voice.

*****

The rest of the day was spent saying the same things to each and every noble, rolling them out of my throne room chamber .It was starting to become a tiresome thing, until my faithful student and her friends came next. It saddened me to see Twilight’s pained expression. She looked like I had betrayed her, which I imagined, being her idol in every regard, was the worst possible thing for her. I hadn’t seen her so sad since Shining Armour’s wedding with Mi Amora Cadenza.

“Princess… what are you doing?” she sounded as saddened as she looked, as did her friends. I smiled sweetly at her and dropped my visage.

“Twilight, there is no need to worry. I feel I can trust you with the reason behind what I am doing.” I said. Twilight’s fear didn’t fade, but that was alright. I was certain it would eventually. She remained silent so I could continue and put her mind to rest.

“Ever since Luna’s success with being accepted by you and the others of Ponyville, she has tried to make friends and have fun in other areas as well, ranging from Canterlot to Appleoosa. All ventures have ended in failure and I have had to watch her return home to me in tears. I couldn’t stand it anymore. My ponies have been given too much freedom, and I think it’s time I gave them a little bit of tough love.” I watched Twilight’s reaction stray from fear to intrigue. “So I have done what she did over a thousand years ago and have locked the sun and the moon in place, only this time my sun will shine over Equestria for however long it takes for them to want Luna back, to love her like they will have once loved me. They need to learn that there is a balance that must be maintained between us and them. They must learn that they can’t have one without the other. So I shall take on the title of Solar Flare, the contrast to Nightmare Night and Luna will be the one to stop me with the aid of the Elements of Harmony.”

Twilight disliked my plan from the moment the last syllable escaped my lips.

“But Princess, with the Elements of Harmony, you’d be banished to the Sun for Luna knows how long.” she argued. I smiled at her and nodded.

“That is a sacrifice I am willing to make, Twilight. As your Princess, teacher and your friend, I ask that you respect this final wish and swear your loyalty to Luna, who has become very fond of you six girls.” While the five others seemed saddened by what my future held, Twilight was the only one who was shedding tears equal to those Luna had presented me with earlier that day.

“I don’t want you to go away… you can’t!” she cried, falling to the marble floor before me. I walked towards her and lifted her head, lying down in front of her. She threw herself at me and held me in a tight hug which I could not refuse or help but reciprocate. I’d had many students during my years as Princess, most were often to fill the void that Luna’s absence had left in my heart, but Twilight was something special. Twilight was another sister to me and I loved her like one. And now she was my Niece in-law. Close enough, given the circumstances. The others crowded around me and grabbed a part of my body to hold amongst themselves.

“I love all of you, and I will never forget how much you mean to me. My faith in Equestria had been shaken before Twilight came along and you five along with her helped restore it as well as many other things. Your friendship reports reminded me what it was like to have friends, which is what I consider each and every one of you. As for you, Twilight, you’re my very best friend, the one who compares to Luna in every aspect.” They all squeezed me tighter, especially Twilight who would undoubtedly try to come up with another way to stop me than sending me to the moon. But I would not allow it. As a former wielder of the elements, my punishment was my choosing as was Luna’s. A thousand years on our respective symbols, or turned to stone like Discord. She chose the moon, as will I the sun.

“Now go, my little ponies. Make me proud once more and let Luna believe I have done as she did all those years ago. We will lie to all including her. Only after the deed is done will you tell her the truth. She will do what she feels needs to be done after that and take on the role of Princess.” Twilight continued to cling to me, not wanting to let go. I understood her desire to see me stay, but she would not suffer like Luna and I had. She would not wait a millennia for my return, just a few decades until she died of age.

“Twilight, I have something for you. It’s in my chambers in a golden chest on my mantelpiece. Go to it when this is over and done with. My last gift to you.”

*****

Luna

*****

I was disturbed by the sound of Twilight and her friends entering my chambers at such an ungodly hour.

“Twilight Sparkle… what art thou thinking waking us in the middle of the day?” we groaned, rolling over. It was then we noticed the clock on the wall. T’was not the middle of the day, but three in the morning. We threw ourself out of the bed and scrambled very unprofessionally to the clock to make sure we had not misread it. Seeing it was correct, we threw our head out the window to check the position of the sun. T’was most irregular.

“Twilight Sparkle, what hath Celestia done?” we demanded, looking to her with a mixture of displeasure and concern. We didn’t care for such a feeling, yet t’was present.

“Princess, Celestia has gone insane! She’s wrought chaos upon Equestria and declared eternal sunshine over the land. She has also claimed the title of Solar Flare.” the unicorn replied. We were horror stricken. Our sister had dared to repeat our mistake a thousand years ago. This news filled us with both anger and sorrow, yet another mixture of emotions that we did not care for. We did not know why she had changed her mind about how to rule Equestria, but we were certain we could convince her to do think twice about changing the regime. Without the night, Equestria would be reduced to a desert wasteland in a matter of months.

“Twilight Sparkle and friends, We… I… require your aid, specifically the aid of the Elements of Harmony.” we watched as Twilight grasped the situation instantly, not surprising for our sister’s prized student, our dexterous friend who believed in… me… that night I dared to begin the quest of earning the friendship of our subjects.

“We must try to stop our sister from repeating our mistakes.” we said.

*****

Celestia

*****

I heard the worried and startled screams of my once faithful subjects as I brought a torrent or flaming rain down upon Equestria. Discord was playing it easy with my ponies, hardly chaotic compared to the destruction either myself or Luna could have caused. I stood at the peak of the mountain supporting the castle, watching my city burn. It gave me a great deal of satisfaction, not only because of the pain they caused Luna by rejecting her, but also for the pain I went through for hundreds of years, listening to nobility rant on about their personal matters that really didn’t require my guidance and support.

The final moment was closing in, I could feel it. I could sense them approaching. My mane and tail aflame, they rose toward the sun as if the fire were trying to return to the source. It would happen soon enough. I’d tasked the guards with protecting the civilians to the best of their abilities. They’d been let in on the situation as Twilight and her friends had. They remained loyal and unbiased by the past. While Luna had her own guard working under her, mine would become Twilight’s when this was all over.

It was then that I felt it, the shudder of fear that crawled along my spine as Luna addressed me. She held in her magical aura Twilight and her flightless friends, the pegasi able to carry themselves. I kept up appearances and gave the seven a disgusted look.

“So, you don’t like what I’ve done with the place? Discord would love it, though I’m sure he’d have added a few cotton candy clouds and chocolate rain. Poor fool doesn’t understand what true chaos is.” I turned my gaze to Twilight. Her hesitant and pain-filled expression almost broke my heart all over again. I did my best not to show any emotion other than anger.

“So… you betrayed me, Twilight? I thought you were different, but it turns out you’ll always be the dull bookworm I grew to despise over the years. Sending you away to Ponyville was the best day of my life. I’ve spent the past twenty years using the same façade I used on those snot-nosed little nobles. You’re nothing special Twilight, and you’re a fool to think you ever were.” I lied through my teeth. I hoped to all that was sacred in the world that she knew I was lying about this. But perhaps the possibility alone was enough to make her grow even sadder.

“And as for you, dear sister. You never learn. You claim to be a fast learner, yet you still haven’t dropped the old vernacular and even to this day, you still belt out a few choice words like a challenge to a megaphone. Instead of failing to make friends and learning from your failures, you tried the same methods over and over again. You’re such a disappointment, which is why I wish to rid myself of everything that reminds me of you, including the night. You were to be saved for last. Clearly that’s gone out the window.”

It was clear to me that they saw no point in trying to convince me to return to the ‘good side’.

“If you’re so quick to despise…” she began. I had trouble hearing her over the background noise. The frightened screams of my subjects hurt me, but it was necessary.

IF YOU’RE SO QUICK TO DESPISE EVERYPONY, THEN WHY DIDN’T YOU DO THIS SOONER?!!” Luna demanded, using the Royal Canterlot voice. I heard the screams subside below and I smiled.

“I think everypony needs to hear the answer to that question.” I replied, falling over the edge of the mountain top. I heard the flapping of wings follow close behind. I spread my own wings and soared over to the city square, subsiding the rain of fire for the time being.

YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY I DIDN’T ATTACK THESE PITIFUL PONIES EARLIER? IT WAS BECAUSE I CLUNG TO THE HOPE THAT THEY WOULD ENTERTAIN ME TO SOME DEGREE. BUT THAT TURNED OUT TO BE A WASTE OF YEARS AND PATIENCE, NOW YOU RETURN, HOPING TO GAIN THEIR TRUST AND RIGHT WHEN THEY NEED YOU MOST, YOU’RE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO HELP THEM. YOU COULD REDEEM YOURSELF, SISTER. JOIN ME AND TOGETHER WE COULD RULE EQUESTRIA WITH IRON HOOVES AND CONQUER THE REST OF THE WORLD, GRYPHONS, DRAGONS… ALL WOULD FALL BEFORE US. WHAT SAY YOU?” I grinned evilly. I flashed Twilight a look as if to convince her to remain steadfastly just. She caught it and sighed.

“Please… don’t princess.” I watched as Luna turned to look at my student. She was obviously struggling with the decision.

“While Princess Celestia may have lied about everything up until now, there’s no doubt in my mind that she was telling the truth when she told me that being immortal with nothing to live for was the worst thing she ever went through. Join her and you will both be alone. You’ll live with the fear that she’ll turn on you just so she could amuse herself. With us, you’ll be loved and worshiped, I’m your friend, Luna. Remember how you felt after Nightmare moon, how guilty and weak you felt.” Twilight’s words made me proud to call her my student, as with everything she did, even her mistakes.

“The choice is yours, sister.” I finished without using the voice. Luna struggled once more, but I knew when her eyes fixed on me that she’d chosen correctly.

“Twilight, do it.” she ordered. I reacted accordingly and prepared to attack with a small sun, but the Elements of Harmony reduced my supernova to candlelight. the eyes of the ponies glowed pure white and I saw Luna’s resigned face. She was truly hurt and might never be the same again, but perhaps that’s what was needed. I was engulfed in a rainbow of light and I could feel myself being dragged upward into the sun. As the light faded, I was still present, but not for long. I took a step forward toward my sister and my hoof began to crumble into ashes that blew away in the wind. I resumed forward, my hooves breaking away into the air. The process rose upward and I was but a head and a neck when I reached Luna.

“I love you.” I said, nuzzling her. She blinked as I did so and disappeared a second later. I heard her call out to me, but what was done was done and I saw fire all around me, burning hot, but it didn’t hurt me. It was just so bright. Now all I had to do was wait for Twilight to open that chest…

*****

Twilight

*****

As my former teacher disappeared in the wind, undoubtedly the final thought of the once glorious princess now trapped in the sun, I turned to Princess Luna who had a whole bombardment of questions. The civilians began to crowd around us, ready to finally accept their long lost princess, but before they could, I swept the seven of us away in a teleport and appeared in the throne room.

“Twilight?” Luna asked, her confusion clear on her face. My friends left us together in the throne room, alone so I could reveal the truth to her.

“Princess. Everything Princess Celestia said–.”

“Don’t say her name! She doesn’t deserve to be addressed ever again. I plan to strike her from the records.” she interrupted. I noticed that she’d dropped her old vocabulary and inherited Celestia’s modern tongue.

“I must say this, Princess. It’s imperative; otherwise you’ll never know why she said what she said in that last moment.” She was listening now. “Princess Celestia planned all of this. She’d had enough of your subjects rejecting you so she planned to repeat what happened a thousand years ago and place you in their good graces as their saviour, as she was when she defeated you. Everything that happened was so you could be accepted by Equestria. She believed you’d suffered enough when you served your sentence on the moon. She knew you wouldn’t co-operate so she left you in the dark.” I waited a moment to let Luna catch on. Her eyes were watering something heavy and her hoof covered her face.

“She had her guards make sure nopony got hurt in that fire storm out there. She lied to Equestria so you could… be her in their eyes.”

“And now she’s going to spend a thousand years in the sun for doing something so selfless? That’s not right!” she argued.

“That’s the sacrifice she was willing to make for you. She gave her fame for you, she gave up another thousand years so you could be loved, she gave up… me… so you would rule the way Equestria should have been ruled.” I then bowed down before her. “Your sister’s faithful student and the Elements of Harmony are at your service, Princess. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have something I need to get from Celestia’s chambers.” I began my retreat when Luna called out to me.

“Twilight.” I turned my head around to meet her. “You’re my student now. As such, I want you to continued your work in Ponyville and learn the many meanings of friendship. I need to learn too and I believe it can be through you.” I smiled and nodded.

“Of course Princess.” I left the throne room, joined by my friends who were silent until now.

“So what’s gonna happen now?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Things will go on as before, I suspect.” I replied.

“Ah for one am really rearin’ ta get back ta the farm. All this actin’s made me wanna do what ah do best.” Applejack said.

“I think we could all do with some applebucking, AJ. I mean… Celestia’s gone…” I failed to prevent the salty tars from rising to the surface. The girls caught sight of this and huddled around me, supporting me as I collapsed into tears, unable to stand any longer. They all did their best to reassure me that it would be alright, but one couldn’t just assure twenty years away with some comforting words. My wounds from this endeavour would take time to heal. I hated the tiara resting on my head, the final piece to my idol’s demise. I shrugged them off and grabbed the Element of Magic, throwing it against the brick wall. The metal clanging followed my angry scream as they echoed through the hallways. My friends remained quiet and still.

“Would it have been easier had she not told us? Would it have been easier if she’d let us believe that everything she said before was the truth?” I didn’t receive an answer, and I didn’t really want one. With the chances being fifty-fifty, I didn’t like the odds of it being a ‘yes’. I shuffled away, leaving my friends stunned and frozen in the hallway. I reached Celestia’s chambers. A place I’d gone many a stormy nights with spike out of fear of the thunder and lightning, and the shadows they made against the trees. Oh, Spike. What would he think of all this? He saw Celestia as a mother, myself a sister. I entered the room and closed the door behind me, locking it so I couldn’t be interrupted. I didn’t go straight to the chest, but instead, I made my way to her bed and crawled onto it. I had just enough strength to shuffle myself under the covers and bury my face into the familiarly scented pillow. There were often nights where I’d synthesize this scent and spray it around my room so it felt like she was near. It comforted Spike too. I fell asleep in her bed and dreamed of the good times…

*****

It was nighttime when I awoke. Given the time, I’d slept the following day away. That didn’t matter. I rolled over and saw the doorway had been smashed open, most likely because it had been locked from the inside and the guards were suspicious. I was surprised I had slept through it, but mostly angry because they had ruined her door. Taking one last long wiff of her scent, I got out of the bed and finally trudged over to the chest that she requested I have. I opened it and looked inside. There was a pendant on an Alicorn with an amber jewel on its flank, shaped like the sun. I put it around my neck and opened the scroll.

Dear Twilight,

You, who are my faithful student. You who went through perils no other pony could dare to survive. I write to you to give you this: the Amulet of Sol. This amulet will grant you the ability to commune with me while I am entrapped in the sun. I will live on through you, you who were the best thing that happened to me my entire life. I love you Twilight and I will never forget how much you mean to me. Give Spike my love for he won’t be able to hear me without wearing the necklace and I doubt you’d take it off even for my sister at this point.

Yours forever,

Princess Celestia Sol Ignis.

I read the letter again and felt my heart burn with love, sadness and selfish desire. I looked down to the amulet and placed my hoof to the amber. It shone brightly.

I see you found my gift, Twilight.” her voice echoed through my mind. I smiled and laughed as a part of her still remained with me.

“You’re here with me again.” I affirmed more to myself. I could hear her chuckle from within the sun.

Well it certainly beats all those letters. Such a waste of trees and ink.” she replied, chuckling once again, I did likewise.

Now, Twilight, I have another favour for you. Could you go to the mantelpiece again and open the silver chest next to the gold one?” I did as she said and opened it. I found another scroll and took it.

“Got it.” I said.

Good. Now give that to Luna. It has a few requests I’d like her to make, just so she can have friends who live locally. Don’t ask me what that means, you’ll find out soon. And the writing’s in a text she and I made up when we were fillies. Only she and Discord would be able to translate it.” she said. I halted for a moment.

“Discord?”

We were friends once before he found the joy of chaos. Sadly, he was always single minded. He didn’t have enough room for chaos and friendship and found chaos the better of the two.” she replied. I sighed and continued on to Princess Luna.

“Wait, I can hear you and you can hear me, would you be able to hear others around me?” I asked. Celestia chuckled.

Yes. Think of it like this… I’m listening through your ears. So I hear your voice the same way you hear your own voice. Sounds a little different, but I wouldn’t mistake it for anything.” I smiled and blushed, thankful she couldn’t see me.

“In the letter, you said you loved me. Did you mean that as though you were in love with me?” I asked.

That depends.” she replied.

“On what?”

Do you want it to mean that?” she asked. I waited a second, but answered with more certainty than ever.

“Yes, I want you to love me like that.” her response was instant and without hesitation.

Oh thank goodness. I don’t know what I would have said if you’d said no. Yes, Twilight, I fell in love with you. At first you were more like a second sister to me, but these last events, your determination to fulfil my final wish pushed my affection for you over the edge. I wrote that letter with the result of the event in mind. My one regret in this is that I cannot touch you anymore. But perhaps I’ll get lucky and find a way out of the sun early.” she replied. I smiled at her and giggled.

“I’ll be waiting. I’ll wait a thousand years for you if I have to.” I heard her purr at the thought.

You may be able to do so when you get what’s owed to you.” I wanted to ask her what she meant by that, but she simply replied with “Wait until Luna reads the scroll.

*****

Luna

*****

Three days since the imprisonment of my sister and Equestria was rejoicing in my rise to power. I’d spent those three days making arrangements in accordance with Celestia’s letter. I stood behind the doors to the royal balcony where below, Every Pony from Equestria who could afford to travel to Canterlot sat patiently waiting for me to accept the role of Ruler of Equestria. Twilight Sparkle and her friends… my friends waited on the other side of those doors, on the balcony by my side. I trusted nopony else, not even Cadenza or Twilight’s brother. Thinking now, with Celestia having given Twilight the Amulet of Sol instead of her, not to mention Twilight revealing Celestia’s confession of love towards her student, it was obvious what her next pan was. Put Twilight in a position that would enable the chance to see her again.

I heard my name presented by a royal Guard and the doors opened. I dropped all expression and entered the sights of every pony. They cheered and screamed their affection for their new saviour. I waited for a minute before raising my hoof to quiet the down.

MY DEAR PONIES! I, PRINCESS LUNA LUMINARA, ACCEPT THE ROLE OF RULER OF EQUESTRIA!!!” unlike most other times, my royal voice did not inspire fear in my subjects, but instead caused more cheer.

I PROMISE TO RULE WITH AS MUCH DECORUM AS POSSIBLE AND NEVER LIE TO YOU AS YOU HEARD MY SISTER HAD!!!” again, cheer met my declaration. I turned to Twilight and leaned down to her.

“Sister, do I have your permission?” I asked in a whisper. Twilight answered with a nod and I smiled.

“Thank you both.” I said before returning my attention to the crowd. “AS MY FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS, I SHALL REVEAL A TRUTH THAT HAS LED TO THIS OUTCOME;” the crowd fell silent, patiently waiting for me to continue.

MY SISTER, CELESTIA LIED TO US ALL, BUT THE LIES WERE NOT ABOUT WHAT SHE SAID THEY WERE. HER DEMISE WAS AN ACT.” the ponies below all gasped and began muttering amongst themselves.

AS YOUR PRINCESS I SHALL NOT HIDE THE TRUTH FROM YOU FOR YOU WILL KNOW IT IS SUCH WHEN I SPEAK IT. SINCE I WAS SAVED BY THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY, REFORMED FROM NIGHTMARE MOON, I HAVE HAD DIFFICULTY EARNING YOUR TRUST. OFTEN YOU WOULD ALL SHUN ME AS THOUGH I WERE A CHANGELING. EVERY CITY, TOWN AND VILLAGE I WENT TO, WITH PONYVILLE BEING THE EXCEPTION, GREETED ME WITH AS MUCH KINDNESS AS A TIMBERWOLF. FINALLY, IN THIS CITY OF ALL PLACES, I WAS HURT THE MOST.” Some of the ponies amongst the crowd showed signs of shame and guilt.

MY SISTER HAD HAD ENOUGH. SHE DECIDED TO TAKE MATTERS INTO HER OWN HOOVES AND REPEAT THE SAME TRAGEDY THAT BANISHED ME TO THE MOON. SHE BECAME WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HER OWN NIGHTMARE MOON, SOLAR FLARE. SHE PRETENDED TO HAVE LIED TO US ALL SO I WOULD BE VIEWED AS YOUR SAVIOUR AND ACCEPTED BY YOU ONCE AGAIN. AS A RESULT, CELESTIA IS NOW TRAPPED WITHIN THE SUN FOR ANOTHER MILLENIA. I AM BURDENED WITH PAIN AND GUILT AS I FEAR IT IS PARTLY MY FAULT FOR HER CURRENT PREDICAMENT. HAD I NOT LOST THE TRUST OF YOUR ANCESTORS, WE WOULD HAVE RULED TOGETHER AND WOULD STILL BE DOING SO TO THIS DAY. BUT THE BLAME ALSO GOES TO ALL OF YOU.” the crowd began to question such a claim, but I was ready to back it up.

HAD YOU THE SENSE TO REALISE THAT I WAS NO LONGER NIGHTMARE MOON, THAT I HAD ONCE AGAIN BECOME PRINCESS LUNA, HAD YOU ACCEPTED ME FROM THE BEGINNING, AS TWILIGHT SPARKLE AND HER FRIENDS DID, SUCH MEASURES WOULD NOT HAVE NEEDED TO BE TAKEN… IN CONCLUSION, THE BLAME GOES TO US ALL. I HATE WHAT HAS HAPPENED… NO, TO BE MORE SPECIFIC; I HATE THE PRICE THAT HAD TO BE PAID FOR YOUR TRUST AND LOYALTY. I HATE ALL OF YOU, BUT I WILL NOT LET THAT HATRED DETER ME FROM MY DUTIES AS YOUR PRINCESS AND RULER. NEITHER WILL I BE AS LENIENT AS CELESTIA WAS. I WILL NOT ADHERE TO TRIVIAL MATTERS FROM NOBILITY THAT CAN EASILY BE SOLVED WITHOUT MY AID. YOU MUST LEARN TO THINK FOR YOURSELVES. THOSE OF YOU WITH ACTUAL CRISES, FEEL FREE TO COME TO ME FOR HELP, WHETHER THE PROBLEM BE FINANCIAL OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES, EVEN FAMILY MATTERS… ESPECIALLY FAMILY MATTERS, PLEASE COME TO ME. NOW I INVITE ANYPONY TO DISAGREE WITH MY CLAIMS. I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED, I SIMPLY INVITE YOU TO CHANGE MY MIND IF YOU THINK MY DISTRIBUTION OF BLAME IS FLAWED.” I scanned the crowd for a raised hoof but silence and the stench of guilt and shame was all that rose from them.

VERY WELL. THE PAST IS THE PAST… AND I THINK THE PAST SHOULD BE LEFT THERE IN RELATION TO MY FAMILY. NOW, FOR THE NEXT ORDER OF BUSINESS. CELESTIA HAD A FEW LAST REQUESTS FOR ME TO MAKE AFTER THE STORY HAD BEEN TOLD. TWILIGHT SPARKLE, COMMONLY KNOWN AS CELESTIA’S FAITHFUL STUDENT AND THE ELEMENT OF MAGIC, IT WAS HER WISH THAT YOU BE GIVEN THE TITLE OF ARCHMAGE. HER PARTING GIFT TO YOU, AMONG OTHER THINGS.” I smiled as Twilight jumped with joy, ignoring the formality that would have normally been shown towards such an honour. "AS FOR YOUR ASSISTANT, SPIKE; A CAVE IS BEING HOLLOWED OUT FOR HIM IN THE CANTERLOT MOUNTAIN SO HE CAN LIVE NEARBY WHEN HE REACHeS FULL MATURITY." another excited reaction from the mare left me satisfied with the decision.

RAINBOW DASH, SELF-PROCLAIMED YET UNDISPUTED FASTEST FLYER IN EQUESTRIA AND ELEMENT OF LOYALTY; YOUR DREAM HAS LONG BEEN TO JOIN THE WONDERBOLTS, HOWEVER, SUCH A THING TAKES YEARS OF TRAINING JUST TO BE APART OF THE TEAM, SO CELESTIA SUGGESTED YOU BECOME CAPTAIN OF MY VARIATION OF THE WONDERBOLTS, THE SHADOWBOLTS.” I cacophony of the conjoined words ‘oh my gosh’ followed that statement and Rainbow Dash burst into the air, performing her signature move, the Sonic Rainboom. I smiled yet again at the beautiful sight of the wave. The crowd below cheered for her performance.

PINKAMENA DIANE PIE, KNOWN AS ‘PINKIE PIE’ AND THE ELEMENT OF LAUGHTER. I HAVE TAKEN THE LIBERTY OF FUNDING A PARTY STORE HERE IN CANTERLOT THAT DOUBLES AS A CAKE SHOP FOR ALL OCCASIONS. FULLY STAFFED, IT IS ACTUALLY PREPARING THE CAKES FOR TONIGHT’S BANQUET WHICH EVERYPONY IS INVITED TO. IT SHALL TAKE PLACE IN THE ROYAL CANTERLOT GARDEN.” The ponies all cheered, including Pinkie Pie who somehow managed to get her hooves on one of those little noisy horns that unfolded the paper to make the noise.

RARITY, THE ELEMENT OF GENEROSITY AND ONE OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE DESIGNERS I’VE HAD THE HONOUR OF MEETING, A BRANCH OF THE CAROUSEL BOUTIQUE IS BEING ERECTED IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THIS ASSEMBLY.” Rarity almost fainted afterward which I took to be a good thing.

FLUTTERSHY, THE ELEMENT OF KINDNESS AND A LOVER OF ALL ANIMALS, YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF RUNNING A VETINARY CLINIC FOR BOTH DOMESTICATED AND WILD ANIMALS AT THE EDGE OF THE CITY NEAR THE FOAL MOUNTAINS.” Easily one of the most calm and collected forms of gratitude, Fluttershy simply accepted and hugged me gently, a gesture I appreciated more than anything. I smiled at her.

FINALLY, APPLEJACK, THE ELEMENT OF HONESTY. LIKE ME, YOU ARE DEEPLY ROOTED TO YOUR FAMILY, MUCH LIKE THE ORCHARDS YOU MANAGE. CELESTIA REQUESTED THAT THE WESTERN SECTION OF THE ROYAL CANTERLOT GARDEN BE REDESIGNED AFTER YOUR FARM AND YOUR OLD ORCHARD MANAGED BY FULLY CAPABLE FARM PONIES. AS IT WOULD BE A GARDEN OWNED BY MYSELF, TAXES WILL BE NON-EXISTENT FOR YOU, MAKING YOUR PASSION FOR APPLEBUCKING JUST THAT, A PASSION, AND NOT A WAY TO MAKE ENDS MEET.” once again the ponies below cheered for such a wonderful achievement. Applejack’s answer was expected.

“Ah’d have ta talk with mah family ‘bout this.” she replied. I smiled and leaned down to her.

“I already spoke with them personally, they’re waiting for your confirmation and willing to move so you can be near your friends.” I said, receiving an impromptu ‘yeehaw’. She then proceeded to throw her hat into the air and celebrate her undisclosed decision, which I assumed was a yes.

I THANK YOU MY PONIES FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND FOR YOUR ATTENTION AS I AMENDED MY SISTER’S LEGACY. THE TITLE SOLAR FLARE WILL FOREVER BE RENOWNED AS A NAME OF SACRIFICE.

Comments ( 203 )

here have my fav i liked this :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

more please :twilightblush:

Acceptable.....have a like

what about Spike? I thought he was getting something too, like I dont know, be the royal guardian or the protector of equestria (once he grows older that is)

Thats a cool story that touches my heart... Selfsacrifice is one of the greates virtues after all:twilightsmile:

Have all my favs! :heart:

how did this story get Featured? :rainbowderp:

This story made me smile and cry. Beautifully well written, Luna's archaism was spot on, and the entire thing was fully believable.
Oddly enough, though this story feels complete, I'm hoping for a continuation.

2058641 its a awesome story sir its touching poor cel and spike what about him no one ever thinks of him

2058804
it is a good story, I'm not disputing that. what I'm confused about is how it got Featured with so few comments/likes.

2058812 pinkie pie magic thats all really

That was a great story, but all dat caps lock was kinda hard to read. :fluttershyouch:

Eh. *wavers hand*

As soon as i read the Name of the story i thought
"Sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice"
I kept chanting in my head
:rainbowlaugh:

The caps-lock could've been bolded text. Would've been better in my honest opinion. :pinkiesmile:

Also, I like this story, but something feels off. Missing, almost. I'm not entirely sure what, it feels like maybe it moves... Too fast? Yeah, maybe.

The caps' lcok part was a nightmare, I admit. But the ending was really good. it might have benefited from being separated into chapters. Even better, if Celestia had not told Twilight or us what was going to happen until we found out at the very end. That would have been even more suspenseful.

That cover art is knight of cerebus' avatar.

I would love for there to be a sequel to this. Certainly a well done 1 shot!

2058473 2058804 I added something for him under Twilight's gift, a cave in the mountain for when he reaches full maturity so he won't have to leave.:twilightsmile::moustache:

Not sure if like for incredible drama and emotion and solid writing :pinkiehappy:
Or dislike for Twilestia :trollestia: :twilightblush:

:applejackunsure:

2059394 That made me happy =D

I told myself I wouldn't read this story... mostly because of the sad tags and because i knew with the Sacrifice tag and that picture what would happen...

Although I do have a question, Celestia mentions getting out of the sun early, and or Twilight living to be 1000, and Luna mentions Twilight got "other gifts" from Celestia, is that a reference to twilight's Alicornation at the end of the season?

2059533 no, the amulet. being the archmage gives Twilight the opportunity to research either option, getting celestia back, or waiting a thousand years.

2059410 Twilestia is inevitable, like Blueblood being the perfect example of why breeding is a dirty word. :rainbowwild:

A very nice take, and I could see that happening in canon, although that would mean - GASP!! :pinkiegasp: - the end of the show!! NOOOOOOO!!! :fluttershbad:

2059573 If they use this before a good six seasons worth of canon, I will claim copyright, take their ponies and continue the legacy.:scootangel:

its good but i want more of it. sequel maybe?

I recommend that you just bold the royal canterlot voice rather than caps-locking it, because it is kind of hard to read.

pretty good story, i really liked it.

Dude...I cried.:fluttercry:

2059644 I do that, though I also put it in italics for better emphasis. Whatever floats your boat...

Reading the Royal Camterlot voice in the dark on a bright phone screen gave me a headache....:derpyderp1:

2059644 IF you stood in front of her it would also be hard to hear, no?:trollestia:

any more to the story?

2059889
lol, true :P

2059892 No, but if enough people want a sequel, I might have it in me.

Well... its a pretty good story, but its has faults.
No, i don't mean with spike. I don't care much about him. My real problem is a slight lack of detail. They talk about Luna getting rejected, but you never tell what she suffered. I can probably guess some, but it would have been better to tell what she went through. For example, lets take a line from Luna's speech.

FINALLY, IN THIS CITY OF ALL PLACES, I WAS HURT THE MOST.

That's where she stops. She doesn't explain what exactly hurt her. And i do not see through any of this story anything explaining what she suffered. And there's also another problem.

IN THIS CITY OF ALL PLACES,

"In this city of all places..." that's a very bad choice of words. Canterlot is a noble city. Nobles have a whole 'nother set of instincts, being "make money," "act like pr:facehoof:k's to anyone who doesn't have enough cash," and "get political power." The GGG is a perfect example, heck- Go to any fan fiction on this site with canterlot ponies, and you'll want to punch them all by the end of one chapter. Where there's nobles, there's intolerance. Even with ponies.
Now its still a good story. It just could be better.

why exactly do the Elements work as they did on a pony who was only faking?

2060278 The elements work on the will of their hosts, as a result, they helped Celestia by playing along as Twilight and the others did.

SEQUEL MOTHERFUCKER.
That is all :twilightsmile:

Awsome story! Many tears were shed:raritycry::raritydespair::fluttercry:

2061328 Good to know you liked it.

...the description of this story just gave me an insanely crazy idea for a story, thank you so much, i will credit you and list your story plus links when the idea is posted. For now though, ima read this.

Login or register to comment