• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 6,567 Views, 576 Comments

As Twilight Falls - Mikemarksman



When tragedy befalls Ponyville and, more specifically, Twilight, how does she cope? What lengths will she go to for the sake of 'justice'? And what is Celestia hiding? Grief, loss and hatred can change anypony...

Comments ( 29 )

Rex chuckled aloud, "Quite something, isn't it? Gifted to me by a stranger from a faraway land."

Little did he know about a little "Made in China" engraved on the pommel.

She disappeared in a flash, only to re-materialise directly beside him.

I realised it's kinda what Twilight did while fighting Nightmare Moon in the first episode. Celestia taught her tricks, it seems. And it seems that Celestia doesn't trust gravity, given she chose to incinerate him anyway.

...

And the whole town. Some mares just like to watch the world burn. That's also something Twilight took after Celestia, though I guess it wasn't Celestia's plan.

Huh. I'm guessing Celestia gets better?

okay if she died how is she living now?

7366266

"Well, before we discuss this 'offer' of yours, I'm going to tell you one thing outright. You physically cannot kill Celestia."

Twilight's emotionless expression gave way to rage and disbelief, "What!?"

"To truly 'kill' beings such as Celestia, Luna and, to some extent, myself, you must first destroy the connection they have with their allocated responsibilities. Unless you plan on destroying the sun - dooming all life on the planet in the process - then properly killing Celestia is impossible. As long as the sun exists, no matter how many times Celestia 'dies', the next time the sun has to rise there's literally a 'poof', and she's back. Besides, even I could only even hope to perform such a feat at the full height of my power, so I don't think your plan is exceptionally feasible."

That's how, guess Discord really was telling the truth.

7366307 been a while I forgot that.

7366262

Huh. I'm guessing Celestia gets better?

Absolutely, both physically and combat-wise. The Wars raged on for many years after this point. (I don't feel revealing Celestia's condition is a spoiler; see below).

7366266
(Copy/pasted from Chapter X)

"Well, before we discuss this 'offer' of yours, I'm going to tell you one thing outright. You physically cannot kill Celestia."

Twilight's emotionless expression gave way to rage and disbelief, "What!?"

"To truly 'kill' beings such as Celestia, Luna and, to some extent, myself, you must first destroy the connection they have with their allocated responsibilities. Unless you plan on destroying the sun - dooming all life on the planet in the process - then properly killing Celestia is impossible. As long as the sun exists, no matter how many times Celestia 'dies', the next time the sun has to rise there's literally a 'poof', and she's back. Besides, even I could only even hope to perform such a feat at the full height of my power, so I don't think your plan is exceptionally feasible."

She's hacking, essentially. :P

7366362 someone pointed that out for me. been awhile since I read the earlier chapters so forogt that part.

7366362

combat-wise

I guess mostly in terms of strategy, given that her magic already allows her to level towns...

7366398
Aye. Though let's just say that, at that point in time, other forces existed besides Reginald which could have bested her. Discord may or may not have been involved in the majority of those. :trollestia:

7368929

(And now I find myself comparing Celestia's power to his and wondering if I've put her too close to a God; top kek). :rainbowlaugh:

7366437
Of course. He seems to be the Moriarty of this universe...

7368140
I have nothing to say in defence of the pacing of the early chapters; they're absolutely dog shit, and I apologise for any cringing you've probably been forced to sit through so far. :rainbowlaugh: They're definitely in need of a top-to-bottom rewrite just to fix the pacing alone.

(In all seriousness, if I read someone else's story with an intro as poorly paced as mine, I'd wonder how the fuck that crap actually got featured. It still perplexes me to this day that my like:dislike ratio is not abysmal somehow).

Granted, the first chapters were the first of any fan fiction I ever wrote, but even so, that's absolutely no excuse. They're full of overused tropes, poor structure, and outright OOC moments; the product of a bored 16 year old's mind who really only wanted to write an edgy story at the beginning.

I completely understand if you've stopped reading after enduring those chapters, I'd probably do the same if our roles were reversed. xD

7369194 Well she is a god. Not in the way of Christian thinking, but more of Japanese I think? It's less about powers, and more that she defines a concept or 'heavenly body'. Aka, She is the Sun. She is a Sun God. As long as the Sun Exist, so does She. Like Luna with the Moon, and Discord with Chaos.

I'm kind of suprised Discord hadn't taken part if the battle. To preserve his game pieces as it were.

I can't help but picture Reginald to look like Sombra... The one in the comics who has a relationship with celestia

Never before had Celestia been subjected to such brute force from a single pony alone. Even the strongest of earth ponies lacked the capacity to push her anywhere near as far as Rex had. Whatever curse had been placed upon him had truly transformed him into something else, something far more dangerous than almost any other evil she had faced, fuelled by hatred and spurred on and strengthened by rage and blood lust; for all intents and purposes a demon, wearing a pony's skin.

>"You march forces into my city! You threaten the survival of my subjects; my loved ones! Your coalition abandons us to die in the dirt, like dogs, and I am the monster!?"
I found myself cheering for Hollow Shades the entire time. I feel that one could write an entire epic about their rise and fall. Truly, one of the most glorious empires I have ever seen rise, and one of the saddest to have ever fallen.


Also, can i just point out how broken Reginald's weapon is?
Oh wait.
Celestia.

Well. I don't regret power-reading through first 5-ish chapters, what followed was worth it, and I can only admire the continual progress in quality from the first chapter and towards the, for now, last one. Although, I can't say it looks like what I was hooked for is gonna happen, at least not soon, so I will hold off till the end.

Good luck with further writing, hope to see more soon :trollestia:

7626256
Yes, yes it does, bit rushed at the beginning but it's a really interesting story.

Huh, i hope this story isn't dead. I would love to hear more about their vengeance

I read up to this point in one sitting.:rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss:

Now make more......:twilightoops:

Thought about it a bit and realized Discord needs a talk with the whole group. Twilight spoke big at the castle but has yet to demonstrate the back bone to actually kill anyone or even harm them wilingly, not to mention Pinkie and now scared Fluttershy. This is just going to cause massive problems later (you've already had to dedicate several chapters to it) and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

7925674
Not to stroke my own literature-dick, but that's a hell of a lot of reading for one sitting holy shit.
7926318
Yeah, it's coming when my skull finally decides to un-fuck itself lmao.

8043252 Oh yeah I had the same thing in mind :rainbowlaugh:

I'm hoping that this lovely story gets an update soon. I am looking forward to what chaos is in store for the future. :raritywink:

The story crescendos... we haven’t hit the climax yet but boy howdy can I not wait for it to come! Will Twilight know the truth of Discord’s involvement? Will Celestia get her faithful student back? Will the bloody author write more borderline sadistic depictions of war and death? (Spoiler: yeah) Tune in next time to find out! (AKA it’s a good story mate but you gotta board the hype train for the seasons conclusion!)

waiting for an update ...
history that goes on crescendo, set up slowly then that warms little by little.:pinkiecrazy:

I hope this story will not be dead ... come what may!:raritydespair:

Hey, I have to say it's a really great story. Currently on Chapter Chapter XXVII - The Dead Tell No Tales and totally forgot that it's not finished yet so I was wondering if you will ever update it again. Sure it has been a long time now, we're already in 2020 holy fuck, but I personally can't stand Story's that are not finished :/ . But that's just me. Hope you read this cause I really like this story it's one of the best I've read. Currently on the evil twilight train. ^^ Have a great day

If this story ever continues, I pray for resolution and the reconciliation of the six.

Sadly, I will not be finishing this story. It is incomplete, and judging by the last update, it will never be completed. It makes me sad, that I invested four days into reading this only to just now realize that it was a pointless pursuit. I will leave this chapter unread and might read it if there is a new chapter, but I doubt that will be the case.

Login or register to comment