• Published 14th Dec 2021
  • 3,299 Views, 99 Comments

You've Been Summoned! - WaywardSon



It's time for another friendship quest from the Cutie Map! Wait, whose cutie mark is that?

  • ...
1
 99
 3,299

Today is Friday, It is My Day to Disappear

Friday Morning
Castle of Friendship, Ponyville

Spike flew down to the castle's main hall, stopping by the front doors. Landing, he placed a claw on the handle and waited, an ear turned to the entry. A few moments later a loud thump echoed through the large chamber.

He pulled the door open to find a grey, blonde-maned pegasus wearing a postal service uniform sitting on the steps surrounded by dropped letters, looking dazed. She shook her head and smiled.

"Good morning, Spike," she said, then grabbed a bundle of letters from her mailbag with her teeth, holding them out to the young dragon.

"Good morning, Derpy." He took the bundle, then looked at the others lying all over the steps. "Thanks. Do you want help picking those up?"

Derpy shook her head, her smile never fading. "That's all right. I've got it." She started stuffing letters back in her bag. "Have a good day, Spike."

He shrugged and smiled back at her. "You, too." As he pulled the door closed again she flew off… then turned back towards the rest of Ponyville.

Spike strolled back into the rest of the castle on his way to the library. He flipped through the stack of letters, sorting them as he went. Passing the throne room he heard voices within and stepped inside. "Mail's here," he called.

"Twilight, this is getting ridiculous," Starlight pleaded, standing next to Twilight's throne. "You're just winding yourself up. You need to relax and let things happen."

Twilight Sparkle sat on her throne, slouched forward with her chin resting on the map table. Her eyes remained fixed on the blue glass pitcher mark slowly spinning over Vanhoover. "There has to be a way to find them. What am I missing?"

Starlight placed a hoof gently on her shoulder. "You haven't missed anything. You've notified the leaders of every city, town, and village. The other Princesses ordered searches all over. Even Princess Luna is watching for anything like it in ponies' dreams. All you can do now is wait."

Spike raised a brow at the return address on one of the envelopes. "Astronomy Department?" he muttered. "Why would they be writing to Twilight?" He opened the letter with a claw, reading it over.

Twilight groaned and lay her head on the table, face down. "I can't just do nothing!" she said, voice muffled by the table. "There has to be a better way than just waiting for everypony else. I'm a Princess! What will ponies think if I can't solve something like this?"

"Um, Twilight?" Spike said, scanning more of the letter.

"Twilight, that's crazy," Starlight insisted. "You can't be expected to handle everything with no help. Not even Princess Celestia does everything on her own."

Twilight gave an exasperated sigh. "I know! That's what she has my friends and I for."

Spike cleared his throat. "Twilight, you should read this letter. It's from an astronomy professor at Jane Horsekins University—"

"Spike, I don't have time for astrological research questions right now!" Twilight rubbed her forehead before shouting at the table, "Haven't I always been good to you!?"

Spike flew up beside her. "Twilight, you really need to read this letter right now."

Twilight growled in frustration. "Spike! I said not—"

Spike slapped the letter in front of her face.

Her horn glowed and she floated the letter down. She gave Spike a side-eyed glare, eyes narrowed in annoyance, but then looked at the letter. As she read further into the letter her eyes grew wider and a smile grew over her face.

"What's it say?" Starlight asked, watching the gradual turn-around in Twilight's mood.

Twilight puffed out a giddy laugh. "We found him! Sweet Celestia, we found him!" She rounded on Spike and pulled him into a crushing hug. "Thank you, Spike!"

Starlight cleared her throat. "Sooo, all you had to do was wait and the answer came to you?"

Twilight blushed as she let Spike breathe again and he stretched his back. "Okay, yes, you were right, Starlight."

Starlight grinned smugly. "Thanks for saying it, Twilight."

Twilight turned to Spike. "Get the go-bags."

"Yes, ma'am!" he said with a quick salute and flew out of the room.

Starlight raised a brow. "Go bags?" she asked uncertainly.

Twilight trotted to the door, Starlight following behind. "When he didn't turn up the first day I had Spike pack a few things so we wouldn't have to wait when we found him." She turned back to her friend. "Can you keep an eye on things here? Oh, and let the girls know to be here first thing tomorrow?" She stepped into a hug.

Starlight hugged her back. "No problem. Everything will be ready when you arrive. Good luck."

Twilight smiled and flew out of the door, calling, "Spike, hurry up. We're going to Baltimare!"

Starlight grinned and trotted back to the table, trying out Twilight's throne again.


Cobalt's Brain, The Dreamscape

Cobalt walked through the streets of Baltimare, an eerie silence all around. Ponies crowded the sidewalks and the streets were filled with taxis and delivery wagons, but every one of them stood frozen in place, mid-trot. He frantically looked from one pony to the next, calling out, "Dusty! Where are you? Dusty!" A flash of pale gold disappeared behind the noodle shop, and he ran towards it.

He ran around a corner and found himself on an empty street in front of the Tricky Pickle Diner. Pushing open the door no chime sounded. The diner was empty, its colors dim, except for Marigold sitting still in their booth.

Cobalt approached her quickly, looking all around the diner. "Marigold! Did Dusty come in here? I have to find her."

She turned her head slowly, expressionless. "Cobalt, sit down and eat." Her voice sounded distant, and her lips didn't move. "It's time for lunch."

"Mari, didn't you hear me? I need to find Dusty."

"I brought your usual." Honey Shine appeared next to him, huge trays of food floating behind her. Her mouth didn't move, either, her voice coming from all around. "Sit down and you can eat."

"Sit down," Marigold repeated.

Cobalt backed away from the booth. "I don't have time for this. I have to find Dusty." The door chime sounded and he spun around, seeing a flash of a gold tail leaving. "Dusty! Wait!" He rushed through the door.

He found himself in Frozen Saddles Creamery, with Mint Chip pulling scoop after scoop of ice cream and placing them in a huge bowl. "Chip! Where did Dusty go? I just saw her come in here."

Mint Chip smiled at him, but kept scooping. "Cobalt! You look stressed. A Baltimare Mint will help you relax."

Cobalt gave a frustrated growl. "Chip, I don't want ice cream! I need to find Dusty." He turned to leave, but the floor vanished and he fell, screaming, through a rain of chocolate coins.

Just as suddenly as he fell, he found himself standing on a dirt road in a small town with wooden buildings. Nopony could be seen, all of the doors and shutters closed. A gust of wind blew motes of dust between the houses.

The sound of approaching hoofsteps echoed loudly from behind him. He spun around and saw a purple alicorn walking toward him with wings spread. The image blurred and for a moment they appeared to be on a rocky shoreline by the sea. The town returned, with the tall, crystal castle on the skyline. The figure focused again, but now he saw Dusty Rose in her place. She smiled, her coat sparkling in the sun.

He hurried over, stopping a few yards away as her expression didn't change. "Dusty! I've been looking everywhere. Where were you?"

She stepped closer, her smile never fading. "I am not Dusty Rose. I am only The Messenger."

"Ahh, alright," he said uncertainly. "You look just like her… and have the same cutie mark…"

The Messenger continued on as if he'd never spoken. "You have been summoned. Why have you not answered?"

Cobalt's brows wrinkled. "Wait, what do you mean 'summoned'? Am I in trouble?" His eyes widened. "Is that crazy singer suing again? We told her glasses would break if she threw them to her fans."

"Dusty" cocked her head to one side. "You have been summoned," she repeated and nodded to his side. He felt a familiar twingle, and looked back to see his cutie mark flashing again. "You must answer the call." She stomped a hoof on the ground with a resounding noise like a thunderclap.


Cobalt's Apartment, Baltimare

Cobalt jerked his head up from the kitchen table with a startled shout, "Dusty!" He looked around, dream images slowly fading into reality. The room was almost untouched from the night before, with carryout cartons spilled on the table and noodles stuck to the wall over the trash.

The biggest change was the vase of flowers returned to the center of the table. The roses draped haphazardly around the edge, half the stems broken to some degree. A noodle hung from one of the blooms like a curry-covered worm.

Cobalt stared at the damaged roses. For the hundredth time the argument played out in his mind. Every hurtful word he said ripped at him, making him ache again. A petal dropped from one of the most-battered buds, falling into a sticky, half-dried pool of garlic sauce.

"I have to fix this," he muttered, standing up. A groan left his lips and he rubbed at the back of his stiff neck. He stretched with each step over to the entryway, walking well enough by the time he got there.

Cobalt pulled on his saddlebags and looked at the cloak. After a moment he pulled it on, too. He turned to the door then paused, looking at the table and the key lying where Dusty had placed it. Setting his jaw, he scooped up the key and stashed it in the bag, then hurried out the door.


Dusty Rose's Apartment (Exterior), Baltimare

Cobalt stood outside the locked door of Dusty's place, knocking repeatedly. "Dusty?" he called. "Dusty, it's Cobalt. Please, let me in. Dusty, I'm sorry."

Only silence answered from behind the door. "Okay, you don't have to let me in. Please, just talk to me." He knocked louder. "Dusty, please, let me know you're hearing me."

He stopped knocking. With his hooves on the doorframe, he pressed his cheek against the door, closing his eyes. "I really messed up, Dusty," he said, his voice quieter. "It's all my fault. I was a jerk to you and all our friends. I was selfish and didn't see what was right in front of me." He sighed. "Please, Dusty, I need my best friend to help me figure this out."

"She's not home," said a voice down the hall. He looked up to see a unicorn mare closing and locking her door, a young foal in a carrier strapped to her flank. "She left early this morning."

He stood up, cheeks red, and brushed off his cloak. "Umm, thanks. Did she say where she went?"

She shook her head, walking past him to the stairs. "I didn't talk with her. I was just trying to get my little Moonbeam here back to sleep and I heard her in the hall locking up."

Cobalt sighed and nodded. "Thanks for telling me. No telling how long I would be knocking before I figured it out." He rubbed the back of his neck, looking sheepish. "Ahh, how much of that did you hear?"

She looked back at him with a brow raised. "Enough to know why she was crying when she left. Dusty is a good neighbor. She doesn't deserve this." With that she turned back to the stairs. Moonbeam looked back at him as they left, raising a brow like her mother.

Cobalt's ears drooped and he stared down at his hooves. "Damnit, Cobalt," he muttered. "You really messed up." Lifting his head he started pacing in front of the door. "Think. How can you fix this? Ahh, I wish Dusty was here to help figure it out."

He stopped and looked at the door to Dusty's apartment. "I need somepony else for this one." Suddenly his ears perked up and, nodding, he hurried to the stairs. "I hope he can help."


Freezing Saddles Creamery, Baltimare

Mint Chip hummed a happy tune while he worked, pouring a batch of vanilla ice cream base into one of his large , chilled mixers. One of his assistants pulled tubs of ice cream from the walk-in freezers, carrying them to the serving counter.

He just turned on the machine, making sure it was mixing at the right speed, when a loud knocking came from the glass door out front. His assistant was just stepping back in the freezer, but sighed and turned to the front. "I'll tell them we're not open yet, boss."

"That's alright, Scoop. I'll get it," Mint said, waving her back to what she was doing. "You can finish setting up." With that he wiped his hooves on a clean cloth and stepped out into the front. "We open at eleven," he called loudly. Looking up he stopped, eyes widening. "Cobalt?" The expression on his friend's face made him hurry to the door and open it, waving him in before locking it again. "What's wrong, buddy? You look like a colt that dropped his cone."

"Thanks, Chip," Cobalt said, stepping clear of the door. "I know you're busy setting up to open. I hate to ask it now, but I really need your help. Can we talk a bit?"

He nodded quickly, ushering his friend to a table. "Of course, Cobalt. I always have time for you." He looked over where Scoop was loading more ice cream inside the counter and trying to look like she wasn't listening. "Scoop, give us a minute. The chocolate supreme should be about ready for the chips." Looking mildly disappointed she nodded and trotted into the back room. "Alright, Cobalt, what's on your mind? I seriously haven't seen you look like this since your pet hamster died back in grade school."

Cobalt nodded, taking a deep breath. "I really loved Mr. Fluffy. She was a great hamster. This is worse."

Chip gasped, his eyes wide. "Oh, no, your Grandma didn't pass away, did she? I know she's in her nineties, but she seemed so healthy."

He shook his head. "No, my Grandma is fine. She's running another marathon next week."

"Not your Dad, then! You said he had a case of the trots, but I didn't think that was fatal."

Cobalt sighed. "Not my Dad. He got over the trots months ago."

Chip frowned, brows furrowed. "Your Mom?"

He rubbed his forehead, eyes closed. "Nopony died, Chip!"

Chip raised a brow. "Is somepony pregnant?"

"Chip, maybe you should let me tell you."

He sat back, nodding. "Ok, buddy. What's going on?"

Cobalt took a deep breath, looking down at the table. "I really messed up. I've been stressed out this week and not sleeping well." He closed his eyes and sighed. "But that's no excuse. She didn't deserve it."

Mint Chip reached out and placed a hoof on his shoulder. "It's okay, buddy. Just tell me what happened. Who didn't deserve what?"

"It's Dusty," he said, looking at the table. "We got in an argument, and I yelled at her. I said some hurtful things and she left and I don't think she's coming back."

Chip sat back in his chair, frowning. "Well that explains it," he muttered.

Cobalt looked up. "Explains what?"

"Dusty came in just before I closed up last night," he said. "She was pretty upset and looked like she'd been crying. She wouldn't tell me what happened, just bought four quarts of chocolate oat ripple and left." He looked his friend in the eye. "What's got you so stressed, buddy?"

He closed his eyes again, then reached back and flipped up his cloak, exposing his glowing cutie mark.

Chip's eyes widened and he leaned over, taking a long look. "Whoa. I thought those foals were making it up when they said they saw a pony with glowing flanks. Never thought it was you."

Cobalt winced. "It's been doing this all week. Nopony knows why or how to fix it. Dusty took time off work to help when she saw how depressed I was, and I shouted at her for it." He folded his forelegs on the table and buried his face in them. "I'm a terrible friend."

Chip shook his head. "Cobalt, buddy, you know that's not true. You're a really good friend who's having a rough time. How many times have you dropped everything to help me out over the years? You even helped paint my house when you knew the smell of paint makes you sick."

Cobalt raised his head, ears still drooping. "In all those times I never said I'd be better off without you as a friend." He stared down at his hooves. "She left her key on the way out."

"Whoa," Chip said, eyes wide. "Okay, yeah, that is really bad."

Cobalt dropped his face back to the table.

He gave Cobalt's shoulder a rub. "But you can fix it. You and Dusty are best friends, have been for years. I don't think she wants that to end any more than you do. Just get over to her place, swallow your pride, and apologize."

"I tried that, Chip." He looked up from his hooves. "She wasn't home. I don't know where she went or when she'll be back or even if she's coming back."

Chip sat back, nodding. "Then you've got to go find her, buddy. You know where she's likely to go. Ask around. Just don't let it wait." He stood up. "Do you want me to go with you? Scoop can handle things here until the others get in." From the back room there was the sudden whining of an overworked motor, a panicked yelp, then the motor stopped. "I think Scoop can handle things…"

Cobalt stood up as well, letting his cloak fall over his flanks again. "No, Chip, stay here. I've got enough to worry about without taking you away from your shop. If Dusty comes back in, just tell her I'm looking for her."

Chip raised a brow at the suggestion, but nodded. "Alright, Cobalt. Just remember, the apology is about her, not you. I'd make it really special to her, too." He looked his friend over and smiled. "I'm guessing you skipped breakfast. How about I whip up a Baltimare Mint to tide you over." He turned toward the counter.

Cobalt called out, "Chip, wait! There's something I need to tell you, buddy."

Mint Chip stopped and looked back. "Alright, you've got my attention. What's up?"

He squirmed in his seat a bit, looking sheepish. "I... I don't really like mint ice cream. Mint anything, really. I should have told you sooner."

Chip stared back at him, his mouth hanging open in a look of astonishment. "After all these years, yeah, I think you should have. You let me serve you all those Baltimare Mints, and you ate them! Why didn't you say anything?"

Cobalt shook his head, blushing a bit. "You were so proud of it, Chip. I didn't want to hurt your feelings."

He cocked his head, a little smile on his lips. "That's so you. Cobalt, buddy, we've known each other almost all our lives. Did you really think I'd be upset about which flavor ice cream you like."

Cobalt rubbed the back of his neck. "When you put it that way, yeah, it does sound a little silly. Sorry, buddy."

Mint Chip laughed, nodding. "More than a little. So, if you don't want mint, what can I get you?"

He took a deep breath, smiling again. "Maybe just a vanilla cone?" As Chip turned away, his ears perked up and he nodded slowly. "Oh, and one other thing…"


Best Buds Florists, Baltimare

"And don't worry," Marigold said with a bright smile, a notepad tucked under her wing, as she walked a pair of unicorns towards the door. "We will have all your arrangements ready right on time. Your wedding will look gorgeous, I promise."

The mare beamed back at her, leaning close against her fiance. "Thank you so much! I've dreamed about this day for years. I'm so excited!" She kissed him, then they left with a wave.

Marigold kept her glowing smile until they were out of sight. Letting out a slow breath, she looked at her notes and shook her head. "That's got to be the ugliest color palatte I've ever seen." She trotted back to the counter, setting the pad down and turning to check the stock.

She just got a count of what needed to be refilled when the bell over the door jingled. She put back on her smile and turned around. "Welcome to Best Buds. How can—" She stopped when she saw Cobalt walking in. The smile vanished, replaced by a disdainful glare. "Oh, it's you. What do you want?"

Cobalt winced at the sudden change in tone. "Hey, Mari," he said, ears low. "I don't suppose Dusty's here, is she?"

She glared at him for a moment before answering. "You've got a lot of nerve. What makes you think she even wants to talk to you?"

"So, um, she told you about it, huh?"

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Of course not. She's a good friend like that. But she'd been crying and after how much of a jerk you were being yesterday, it's not hard to guess why she was so upset."

He nodded, eyes downcast. "Yeah, that's fair. I'm really sorry I treated you so badly. All of you. You were trying to help."

Mari cocked her head, raising a brow. "And you think that's enough? Dusty was still crying when I asked what happened."

Shaking his head, he opened his saddlebags and pulled out a container, setting it on the counter. "I know it's not enough for Dusty, but I brought a peace offering for you. I really do want to make things right."

She stared at the waxed paper tub and the Frozen Saddles Creamery label on the lid. "Is that…"

"A quart of vanilla mango, yeah. Chip said it's a fresh batch made yesterday." He risked a little smile. "We both want to help Dusty. Is she here?"

Marigold sighed. "Alright, you and I are good, but ice cream isn't gonna fix things with Dusty."

Cobalt nodded, looking down at the counter. "I know. If I can just talk with her, we can… I don't know. All I want is to help her as much as she helped me."

"Well, she's not here, Cobalt," she said. "Dusty came in earlier to ask me to pick up her shifts next week. She said she had a lot to think about."

He grimaced, shaking his head. "She's not at home, either. Chip saw her last night after our fight, and she bought a bunch of ice cream."

Mari nodded slowly. "Yeah, that's what I'd do, too. I got the feeling she wanted to be away for a while. I'd say she'd go to her best friend for help, but given what's going on…"

"I'll find her, somehow," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "And I'll make it right by her. I promise."

"I hope so. You need to let her know how you feel, and make it good." She picked up the ice cream with a wing. "I need to get this in the freezer, and restock the flowers for the afternoon. Good luck." As he turned she added, "Oh, and Cobalt?"

He stopped, looking back. "Yeah?"

Marigold pointed at him with her other wing. "She's been my friend longer than she's been yours. If you hurt her again, you'll answer to me. Got it?"

Cobalt nodded. "Believe me, the last thing I want to— Wait, isn't it like, two days longer?"

She froze, suddenly on the rear hoof in the conversation. "Well, yes, but it's still longer, It counts. Don't change the subject!" She narrowed her eyes. "I'm watching you." She raised her wing, pointing at her eyes then turning the feathers toward him. With that, the stepped into the back room past the bins of flowers.

Cobalt watched her go. His gaze drifted to a bin of pink roses, their shade matching Dusty's coat. He thought about her, and the flowers she brought to cheer him up. In his mind, he saw the petal falling from the broken bloom on his table.

"That's it," he muttered, then hurried out of the shop.


Friday Afternoon

Clear Casing Custom Glassworks, Baltimare

Soda Lime sat at her desk, looking over the papers stacked neatly across it's surface. She stamped a page "Delivered" and lay it on the tallest stack, then stared at a much smaller pile. "Got to get on Cold Call about new orders. He's got to pump those numbers up."

A knock sounded from the door and she called out, "Yes?" It opened and a familiar cloak-covered pony stepped in. "Hey, boss."

"Cobalt! We missed you this week." She looked him over, nodding. "I was going to ask if you took care of your problem, but the cloak answers that question. What's up?"

He rubbed the back of his neck, looking sheepish. "Yeah, I even have new problems on my flanks. I'm here because… well, there's something I need to make. I can pay you for the materials and the furnace space. I just… it's really important to me."

She watched him as he spoke, a smile creeping over her lips. She stood and stepped around the desk. "So it sounds like what you really need is a favor from a friend. Is that right?"

Cobalt shifted uncomfortably on his hooves. "Um, yeah, I guess I do."

"Then how about you start calling me Soda and we'll see what we can do."

He let out a relieved sigh. "Thanks, bo— That is, thanks, Soda."

She chuckled and put a hoof around his shoulders, leading him back to the floor. "Okay, first, lose the cloak. You'll kill yourself trying to make anything in that. You've got the use of the furnace for free, and we'll see what materials end up being."

He smiled and pulled off the cloak and his saddlebags without hesitation. "That's really nice of you, Soda. It won't be a lot of glass, but the colors might take a bit." Approaching the furnace and kiln, he set them aside and pulled on his canvas apron, tying it in place. Moments later the furnace was lit and heating rapidly as he prepared his tools.

"What are you making, Cobalt?" Soda Lime asked. "Maybe I can help get the ingredients together."

He shook his head, already trotting to the raw material bins. "I appreciate it, but no. I'm kinda playing this by ear." Glancing back, he added, "And I feel like I've got to do this myself. It's important."

She raised a brow, but didn't push it. "Alright, it's all you. I'll be up in my office if you need anything."

Cobalt turned his attention to what he needed: the silica and the various coloring agents. "Got to get this right," he muttered, gathering them up. A few minutes later, silica was melting within crucibles inside the furnace.

He took a long, slow breath, letting the familiar scents of the furnace and molten glass fill his nose. His worries faded to the background of his thoughts, the careful steps to create the image in his mind coming to the forefront. Calm focus settled over him. Checking with a glance that the glass was completely melted, he took a long metal tube and began.

The process started simply, gathering molten glass on the tube and blowing through the other end to create a bubble within it. He rolled it, shaping it, stretching it out. Time and again he returned the glass to the furnace as it cooled, restoring it to radiance.

His thoughts drifted, his body going through the familiar process almost on its own. The past week played out behind his eyes, with his words rising to the surface.

Sure, why not. What you say goes, right Dusty?

I don't want a bunch of dying flowers all over my apartment!

I'd be a lot better off without a friend like you!

He didn't notice how his turning of the piece slowed as he focused on his memories. The glass bent down off the tube until, with a sharp snap, it fell to the floor and shattered. Cobalt's attention returned to the moment and he sighed. Quickly sweeping up, he returned the pieces to the furnace.

He focused his thoughts on the image of his design, oblivious to the glances of the other glassworkers. Every step played out until the image of the raw glass matched the finished piece. Only then did he begin again.

Slowly, deliberately, he worked the glass, following the steps in his mind. He flattened, bent, and snipped away pieces, setting them aside, before starting on a larger piece.

Despite his focus, his memories began to intrude once again. He pushed them away, paying attention to his technique, but some still leaked through.

You can't seriously believe I would tell anypony your business like that!

I said some hurtful things and she left and I don't think she's coming back.

I was selfish and didn't see what was right in front of me.

Damnit, Cobalt, you really messed up.

He was just joining one of the pieces he'd prepared, using a blowtorch to heat them to match the base. A loud crackling sound made his heart sink. Turning the piece, he watched a long network of cracks forming along its length.

Cobalt pressed a hoof to his forehead, eyes closed. Using the torch he removed the pieces he could before re-melting the rest in the furnace once again. He sat back on a stool, staring at the furnace door.

Soda Lime stepped out of her office, looking down at him from the catwalk. The looks from his coworkers grew longer and more frequent. Through it all he ran through what had happened, both with the glass and with his life. The image of Dusty's face appeared in his mind, followed by different words from the week.

I'm not anypony, I'm your best friend who's worried about you, you dope

Cobalt, that was the day we met. That's the moment I choose to see up there.

All I want is to help her as much as she helped me.

He stood up, opening the furnace and starting again. Instead of slow and methodical, his motions were smooth and confident as he worked the glass.

I don't have to be your mother to care about you, you dope

The parts came together quickly, being rolled, shaped, and twisted under his tools. He teased out every detail with sharp, deft motions.

I'm here to help my friend.

Dusty, you're just too good to me.

He added more color, fixing it in place with a fast dip into the furnace. Eventually he finished the piece in the kiln, stabilizing the temperature before carefully removing it from the pipe.

Nothing like a nice rose to cheer a pony up.

He set the finished glass aside to cool, only then letting himself notice the rest of the shop. Every one of his coworkers stood watching him work, expressions ranging from impressed to respect.

Soda Lime approached with a wooden box, opening it to reveal soft foam padding. "That's got to be the best work I've seen you do, Cobalt."

He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling. "Thanks, Soda. It had to be. It's for somepony important."

"Clearly," she said. "When it's cool you can have this to keep it safe."

Cobalt nodded, taking the box. "I appreciate it. What do I owe you for the glass?"

Soda held up a hoof, shaking her head. "Don't worry about it. Honestly, watching you make it was payment enough." A grin touched her lips. "Just, ah, clean up your station before you leave."

He chuckled. "Sure thing, boss." After a quick hoofshake, he set the box aside and set about putting away his tools. Before long the station was cleared and the furnace shut down. With the finished piece cool enough, he gingerly placed it in the box, arranging the foam padding before closing it up.

As his coworkers returned to their own tasks, he stowed the box in this saddlebag and turned to his employer. "Thanks again, Soda. I really appreciate this. I'll let you know when I can get back to work again."

She nodded. "Take your time. We can get by without you for a little while longer. I hope all goes well with your friend." She turned away, raising her voice. "Alright the rest of you, break's over! We've got orders to fill."

Cobalt smiled, carefully strapping on his saddlebags and double checking the box within before trotting out the door. "Now I just have to find Dusty."


Friday Evening

Tricky Pickle Diner (Exterior), Baltimare

The back door of the diner opened in an orange glow and Honey Shine stepped into the alley. "Good night, Mel," she called back into the kitchen. "Don't forget to unlock the walk-in." She giggled as a voice called back, "That's not funny!" through the closing door. Smiling, she turned away from the diner and strolled towards the closest street, humming softly.

"Honey, wait!" she heard from behind her, along with the sound of galloping hooves on the pavement. With a yelp she spun around, horn glowing, and grabbed the approaching pony in her magic.

Cobalt's legs waved helplessly as he lifted off the ground. "Ahh! Honey, it's me. It's me!"

Honey Shine let out a relieved breath, reaching a hoof to her chest over her racing heart. "Cobalt, what's wrong with you? Don't you know not to run up behind a mare in a dark alley like that? You're lucky I didn't just zap you."

He nodded sheepishly. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to catch you before you left. It's important."

"It'd better be. You scared me half to death." As her heartbeat slowed back to normal, she shook her head. "What's so important you had to jump out at me?"

"Um, Honey?" He raised a brow, pointing at the ground below. "Do you think you could put me down first?"

Honey glanced down and blushed slightly. "Oh, right." She lowered him to the ground and powering down her horn. "There. Now tell me what's going on."

Cobalt reached back, checking his saddlebag, and sighed. "Well, first, I'm sorry I snapped at you yesterday. I overreacted."

"Well, thanks, I appreciate that, but I just assumed you had a bad day." She raised a brow. "I hope that wasn't the whole reason for this."

He shook his head. "No, it wasn't. I'm looking for Dusty. We had a fight and I said some stupid, awful things, so I have to apologize and make it up to her."

She looked him over. "I can't believe you two had a fight. You've been friends for what, eight years or so? You two always got along so well."

"I know, I know," he said, wincing. "It was all my fault. I got wrapped up in my problems and lost my temper. That's why I need to clear the air. Have you seen her?"

Honey gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, sweetie. You missed her by a few hours. She was in for a late lunch, then said she was heading to the train station."

"What? The train station?" He paced around in front of her, brows furrowed. "Did she say where she was going? Or when she'll be back?"

Honey reached out, touching his shoulder. "Dusty said she was going to stay with her mother. She didn't say for how long."

He sighed, head, ears, and shoulders drooping. "Why didn't I think of that? Of course she'd go back to…" He trailed off, searching his memories. With a blush coloring his cheeks, he turned back to Honey Shine. "Umm, where was that again?"

She stared at him incredulously. "Really, Cobalt? You've known her this long and don't know where she's from?"

Cobalt pressed a hoof to his forehead as if he could draw the memory from his brain. "I know she told me, a long time ago. It's just not coming back to me."

She sighed. "Cob Run, sweetie."

"Right! Cob Run. I knew that." He smiled gratefully. "Thanks, Honey. You're the best. Do you, ah, want me to walk you home?"

Honey Shine smiled sweetly, shaking her head. "That's alright, Cobalt. I'll be fine. Besides, I don't want to keep you. I suspect you have some packing to do."

Cobalt smiled back at her. "Thanks, Honey. I'll see you soon." With that he turned and hurried back the way he came.

She watched him go, then chuckled and shook her head. "That stallion would forget his tail if it wasn't attached." She turned and continued home.


Cobalt's Apartment, Baltimare

Cobalt opened the door in a clatter of keys, hurrying inside. Cloak and saddlebags were carefully hung by the door and he wiped sweat from his forehead. "Okay, what do I need for the trip?" he muttered, walking back toward his bedroom. "Dusty's present, bits… I don't usually wear anything, so that lightens up the load." He paused. "Maybe I should, so she knows I'm serious… Nah, it would just be weird. Better to just go to Cob Run and…" He stopped in his tracks. "Where is Cob Run?"

A rapid knocking at the door snapped him out of his thoughts. "I'm busy. Go away." he called, looking around again before opening a closet.

The knocking continued. Pulling on a suitcase, he yelled over his shoulder, "I said go away!" The suitcase came out suddenly and he fell back, it and the dozen other things stacked on it falling over him.

Another urgent knock sounded as he pushed everything off, rubbing his forehead. "Nngh, what is so important?" He grumbled and stood up, heading to the entry. "Alright, I'm coming!" He pulled open the door. "Yes, what do you—?" He stopped when he saw his visitors: a purple alicorn and a small green and purple dragon.

"Oh, thank goodness!" she said with a relieved sigh. She smiled. "Are you Cobalt? We've been looking all over for you."

"Ahh, yes, that's me," he said cautiously. His eyes narrowed as he looked at her. "Have we met? I mean, you look really familiar, just not as… sparkly as I thought."

The dragon raised a brow. "Dude, you mean you don't recognize the Princess of Friendship?" he asked with a note of disbelief.

She nudged him with her hoof and shot him a disapproving look. Turning her attention back to Cobalt, she smiled warmly. "Yes, I'm Twilight Sparkle. And this is Spike." She nodded toward his flank. "We received Comet Tail's letter about your flashing cutie mark, so we got here as fast as we could. May we come in?"

He looked between them for a moment, processing the situation, before flicking his tail over his flank and stepping back to let them in. "Oh, um, yeah, Comet Tail said she would write you. Sorry, got a lot on my mind. Come in."

As they stepped past him Cobalt kept his tail over his cutie mark, although it didn't do much to hide the flashing. Twilight and Spike glanced around the small, simple living room. "Well this is cozy," Spike quipped, earning him another nudge from Twilight.

"Yeah, it's just me, and space costs a lot," Cobalt said, following them in. If he took any offense, it didn't show. "I'd show you around, but apart from the bedroom and bathroom, this is it." He stopped, a thought crossing his mind. "Oh, sorry, am I supposed to bow? I've never met royalty before." He started lowering his head.

Twilight held up a hoof. "No, please don't. I really don't care for it. Besides, I'm the guest in your home." She smiled comfortingly. She glanced around, searching for something remarkable. "Oh, those flowers are pretty… if a little broken. Do you always get roses?"

He stepped over in front of the opening to the kitchen, between her and the flowers. "I don't want to sound rude, but Comet Tail thought you might be able to help with my problem. Will the cure take long? There's really somewhere I need to be."

Twilight's eyes widened and she exchanged a glance with Spike. "Ahh, that's not why we're here. This isn't something you cure."

"So my flanks will do this forever?" Cobalt's ears drooped and he lowered his head. "Just my luck, I'm going to be a billboard after all."

She shook her head and stepped closer, stretching out a wing to gently touch his shoulder. "No, that's not what I meant. There's not a cure because this isn't a disease. You've been summoned for a mission, that's all."

You have been summoned. You must answer the call. The words of his dream echoed in his mind. "Right, that's what sparkly you said after you changed into sparkly Dusty," he said, sounding distant.

Both of his visitors furrowed their brows in confusion. "Umm, come again?" Spike asked.

Cobalt snapped back to the moment. "So, why would you summon me? I'm not any kind of hero or anything. I'm a glassblower. Did you need an emergency set of stemware or something? Because we do rush orders. There's a checkbox on the order form and everything."

Twilight shook her head, interrupting. "No, no it's nothing like that. And I didn't summon you. You were called for a friendship mission." She ended on a bright and positive tone, smiling warmly.

He stared back at her, waiting for more. When no further explanation came, he said, "Umm, but aren't you the Princess of Friendship? Who else would call a pony for something about friendship?"

"Let me explain," she said, then paused. She cocked her head, considering. "Eh, actually, there's a lot. Let me summarize. Somewhere in Equestria there's a friendship problem that you are the best pony to fix. To do that, you need to come to my castle in Ponyville to answer the summons and learn where it is, then go find and fix it. Understand?"

Cobalt started nodding, then stopped and shook his head. "Ah, no, that doesn't make any sense to me. I don't even know where to start asking questions."

Twilight nodded. "I understand. If you can gather what you need for a short overnight trip, I can answer all your questions on the way to Ponyville."

"No, I… I can't go to Ponyville right now." He paced in front of the couch. "I'm busy. I have something important to do. Maybe I can go in a few days."

She glanced at Spike, then back to him. "Ah, are you sure about that? It's the only way to stop your cutie mark from flashing. Nopony's ever taken this long to answer before."

"Never?" He stopped pacing, looking at her wide-eyed. "What will it do to me if I don't?"

"Admittedly, most of the ponies called live in Ponyville." She rubbed the back of her neck. "Honestly, I don't know what would happen. Probably your mark would just keep flashing, but it's hard to be sure."

Cobalt took a deep breath, looking back at his glowing flanks but thinking about Dusty. "I don't know… I really want this to stop, but I need to do something else."

Spike stepped forward. "What is it you need to do? Maybe we can help."

He shook his head, looking over at the roses. "You can't help. I messed it up, I have to fix it."

Twilight followed his gaze, her expression softening. "It's about the pony who gave you the flowers, isn't it?" she asked gently. "I don't want to pry, but if you're having a problem with a friend, I may be able to help."

"I just don't know," he said. "I don't want to go telling anypony about her problems."

Spike flew up next to him, resting a claw on his shoulder. "I get not wanting to tell a friend's secrets, but you literally have the Princess of Friendship asking to help you. Can you pass that up?"

Cobalt sighed and sat down on the couch, rubbing his forehead. "Alright. It's my best friend, Dusty Rose." Once he started, the words kept flowing. "She's the one I went to when my cutie mark started flashing, and she's the reason I ended up talking to Comet Tail about it, so I guess she's the one that brought you here. She saw how I was losing sleep and getting depressed and she took time off work to help me."

She sat down as he spoke, listening closely. "She sounds like a great friend."

He gritted his teeth, trying to keep back the tears threatening to flow. "She is. But I think I ruined it. I got so stressed and annoyed at what she did to help, and last night I started a fight with her." He closed his eyes, lowering his head. "I yelled at her and said… I said I'd be better off without her as a friend. She left behind her key to my apartment and left town to stay with her mother." He raised his head, looking between them. "That's why I have to go. I have to make sure she's okay, even if we're never friends again. She didn't deserve any of it."

Twilight reached out, resting a hoof on his shoulder. "I'm sorry that happened. It's clear you feel bad about it and want to make it right. If it helps, my friends and I have said lots of hurtful things to each other that we regretted over the years. If you're honest with her, I know you can work it out."

Cobalt stood up, nodding. "Exactly! That's why I need to find her, so we can work it out. I don't want her to feel this way any longer than I can help it."

She rose to her hooves as well. "I know you do. It's normal to want to rush into an apology. It's just not always the wisest thing to do."

Spike hovered next to her, nodding slowly. "I've seen that. Sometimes when a pony is still hurting they aren't ready to hear an apology. Trying to force one on them can just drive them further away."

He frowned, looking back at the flowers. "But how can I know when she's ready? What if I wait too long?" He looked back into Twilight's eyes. "I'm really scared of losing her."

Twilight nodded slowly, stepping closer. "I understand. The only way to find out is to do it, and that's where all the risk lies. You said she's with her mother, so she's safe and cared for, and working through it in her own way." She reached out with a wing and a sympathetic smile. "I know you've had a rough time with the summons, and that led to the problem with Dusty Rose. All I can promise you is that, whatever it is, this mission is important and you are the pony who can complete it. But the choice is yours."

He frowned, thinking it over, looking from Twilight and Spike to the flowers on his table. After a minute he sighed. "I guess I could give Dusty a day or two. It might even be better. Ok, I'll go."

She nodded, smiling. "You made a good choice. Can we help you pack what you need?"

Spike flew up to hover at eye level. "That's my specialty. Just point me to what you want."

Cobalt shook his head, walking back to the entryway and carefully putting on his saddlebags. "This is all I need. I'd really like to go quickly, so I can finish up and get back. Please?"

Twilight smiled. "Of course," she said, trotting to the door with Spike flying behind her. He let them out first, holding the door open. With a last look at the flowers, he stepped out and locked up.

Comments ( 18 )

"Dusty" cocked her head to one side. "You have been summoned," she repeated and nodded to his side. He felt a familiar twingle, and looked back to see his cutie mark flashing again. "You must answer the call." She stomped a hoof on the ground with a resounding noise like a thunderclap.

You, are kriffing useless.

And late, for that matter.

A rapid knocking at the door snapped him out of his thoughts. "I'm busy. Go away." he called, looking around again before opening a closet.

Aw, I was hoping he'd dodge them, Twilight clearly needs more excitement in her life.

He frowned, thinking it over, looking from Twilight and Spike to the flowers on his table. After a minute he sighed. "I guess I could give Dusty a day or two. It might even be better. Ok, I'll go."

She nodded, smiling. "You made a good choice..."

Narrator: "It was not, in fact, a good choice."

Close. For a moment I thought Twilight was going to show up the moment before he apologised to her, and teleported him back to Ponyville. :facehoof::pinkiehappy:

Plot twist, crap hits the fan and it's 10x worse! (Jk. Good going on this masterpiece)

I must say, for a story tagged with Comedy, this hasn’t been comedic in the slightest.

I'm wondering if this is a self-fulfilling mission.

BTW, you wrote: "ugliest color palate" Wrong word. It should be palette.

11536311
I never seem to get clear of typos. Thanks. Fixed.

A) Twilight's reasoning is clearly self-serving, here.

B) It was established in chapter 1 that they know where the mission is. They don't need him to go there to find out. Unless going there provides more detailed instructions?

It seems like the obvious hypothesis that these two problems are related should seem obvious. There should BE no dilemma, or if there is, it seems like it would be, 'Do I go to Ponyville hoping that it's her and it'll give me more detailed directions to her place? But that would put me at risk of delay if it ISN'T her…'

11536376
the writer might have confused that thing as from what i remember they have to go to the map to get their marks to stop flashing before the mission

Darn it, Twilight! And you too Spike! (Actually, Spike's stupidity here makes more sense cause he was stupid in the Thorax and Ember episode). But seriously, how can they not see what the obvious Friendship Problem is? He literally told it to them!

11536401

Solving the problem without visiting the table will probably make the marks stop flashing.

11536646
"hey random pony dont mind my flashing flank and let me ask you about what freindship probelem you might be having"
Probs better to get the flashing to stop before that

I hope he'll apologize to her and hopefully things will turn out fine. This is very good. I'm giving you six stars for doing a good job. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

11536663

A) Speedrunning makes things strange.

B) If the pony is Dusty…

How much you wanna bet his cutie mark is gonna be hovering over Cob Run?

Looking back, I realize that our protagonist is kind of an anti-social self absorbed jerk. Maybe the Cutie Map messing with him and now yanking him around and forcing him to interact and travel is for the best. He has seemed to have gotten considerably better thus far.
That being said, I have no idea where the story could possibly go from here. The map just sending him to Dusty seems anticlimactic abd makes Twilight finding him utterly pointless if hes just gonna go straight to her anyway. The Map must have some twist here, but what is it? Will he and Dusty reunite somewhere else? Where? Why?

Sigh

Okay. So. There is a lot to unpack here, but I'll try to be short. Ish.
First, while I have sympathies to Dusty, she brought it upon herself. Yes, what Cobalt did was uncalled for, but there is one factor that everyone seems to ignore.

Stress.
Trust me, I know how it feels when you get overwhelmed with stress, ane the people who are trying to 'help' you only piss you off because you want to be left alone. You do not help stressed out person by stressing them even more. Sometimes 'buzz off' is 'buzz off, I need some time for myself', not 'come here and help me'. And if Dusty didn't pick up Cobalt's social clues over the years that they were friends... well, yeah, not sure if she's that good of a friend.

Then there is a fact that she dragged him out despite him not wanting to. Like, get a clue, mare. Get a zogging clue!

Oh, and he did tell her that he did not like noodles from the place next door. And lo and behold, what did she get for their dinner? The exact thing he told her he did not like. What. The. Hell. Dusty.

So, yes. Dusty had it coming.

And also, in this specific situation, Cobalt comes off as more of 'I'll do what you want, just so you could bugger off and leave me alone' than caring for his friends feelings.

Next, Twilight. Twi. Twi. Hey Twiiiii. You know, since that lump of sapient quartz pinged someone NOT from your clique of friends before, how about you maybe set up some billboards across Equestria, 'If your CM is glowing, come to Friendship Castle in Ponyville'. The thought that her lump of quartz might call someone from other cities didn't cross your mind? Genius.

Next... Harmony. Harmony, harmony, harmony. More like harmonica. Could you be any more vague? Or even later? Maybe call him after he resolved whatever the problem is? Sheesh.

Yeah, Cobalt is owed one huge apology from that lump of quartz and Twilight.

Cobalt nodded, taking a deep breath. "I really loved Mr. Fluffy. She was a great hamster. This is worse."

Ben Stiller nor Mel Brooks could write dialogue this hilarious.

Login or register to comment