• Published 25th Aug 2020
  • 3,856 Views, 566 Comments

Convention Hotel - Admiral Biscuit



Pony tourists invade Baltimore Inner Harbor Hyatt Regency for a convention.

  • ...
5
 566
 3,856

Shower

Convention Hotel
Admiral Biscuit
Chapter 6: Shower

Sundew held her wings out for balance as she transitioned from the carpeting to the smooth, slippery tiles of the bathroom floor. Kukui, her roommate, didn’t seem to have as much a problem with the changing floor treatments, even though she wore shoes. Everypony said shoes didn’t get as much traction on hard floors, but then farmers wore them to tend their fields and she knew that some shoes had spikes on them—she still had some scars on her barrel from one, in fact.

Never pick a fight with a farmpony, that was a valuable lesson she’d learned.

Maybe it was just experience. Sundew didn’t care much for being on the ground and didn’t get much practice at it. Sadly, Earth did not offer cloud-based hotels, which was really odd, given how much other fantastic technology they had.

Humans seemed to like open spaces in the sky; the hotel had a big open atrium she was allowed to fly in the day of her arrival but then the hotel staff decided to ban ponies from flying inside. They really didn’t care that much if she flew down the hallways or took a spiral course down the stairs to the pool deck—that was the best way in and out, especially since that door didn’t require her to fumble with the hotel’s door cards, unlike the elevators.

It was a shame that the big windows in their room didn’t open. Kukui had studied them to see if they might, but as far as she could tell any mechanism was well-hidden.

Sundew had reached the same conclusion from a flight around the hotel. None of the windows were open, and she didn’t see how an opening mechanism could fit in the thin strips of metal that framed each window.

Still, everything else in the hotel was clever and even Kukui didn’t understand how it all worked. Their room had a movie screen that showed pictures even without a projector, and she’d discovered that they’d put them in the elevators and even some of the bathrooms, too, down on the upper lobby level.

Their room had a little machine that took water and a little pod and made coffee with no need to light a fire or put it out in the sun to brew, and it was good coffee. She was too clumsy to make it work right, but Kukui was willing to make her a cup in the morning. And the hotel staff had given them straws so they could drink it more easily, since the cups they offered were too flimsy to hoof-hold.

She’d woken up well before dawn, and pressed her muzzle against the glass and watched over the city, the unimaginably big city with all its electric candles making a false starscape, with its rubber-tired trackless locomotives moving all night long, and then she’d looked over at the coffee maker and a cup would be the perfect thing to wake her up, but Kukui was still asleep and it would be rude to wake her up for something so simple.

Downstairs was a coffee shop and maybe it was open. She’d have to have her plastic door-card so she could get back into the room, or find something to prop the door open with, and had decided that wasn’t worth the trouble, she could wait for her morning coffee.

For all her life, showers had been rainclouds and rinsing off in the lake during dry spells. This was something new, something she’d been embarrassed to admit to Kukui, and now was a good time to figure it out. There was a chrome lever which was obviously what made it work, and a drain in the floor. Over her head, a broad faucet which was surely where the water came from. If they’d been more clever, they could have shaped it like a cloud.

Human controls were sized for their fingers, and both she and Kukui had been using the pens that the hotel provided to actuate some of those buttons. The black button-stick that made the movies play was the trickiest; the back was curved and it slid away at the slightest provocation.

On another hoof, the handle on the toilet was easy enough to work and had a reasonable, strong feel to it. Admittedly, the first time she’d used it, she’d jumped away, afraid she’d broken it because of the loud whooshing noise it made.

The lever in the shower was not unlike the lever on the toilet or the levers for the sink faucet. Humans used symbols and colors to represent things, which she’d been figuring out. O meant off, I meant on; triangle-person meant it was for mares and rectangle-person meant it was for stallions and somebody in a suit had gotten all shouty when she’d used the rectangle toilets.

This lever had an O, where it was set, and then an arc which went from blue to red, presumably water intensity. When she used the sink levers, the more she turned it, the more water came out.

She gave it a push, and a moment later water started dribbling out of the showerhead in big, fat droplets, much like a proper raincloud. Another nudge, and it started to flow like meltwater, a near-steady stream. And she’d hardly moved the handle.

The hotel provided bottles of soap and shampoo and conditioner, and they’d amassed quite the collection of them. A maid had stopped by just after they’d checked in and given them a whole box of them. She didn’t care much for the soap; it smelled and tasted weird. She was willing to give the shampoo a try, though; it had a good smell to it.

Sundew pushed the lever further and more water came out. Now it was a steady stream, spraying down with enough force that it would probably rinse her clean even if she didn’t use any soap at all. A driving rain in intensity, but continuous. She stuck a hoof in it, feeling the water beat through her fur and against her skin, splashing back into her muzzle. It had the same weird smell as the sink water and toilet water, and the same feel as the sink water. More slippery than water should be, and completely sulphur and salt free.

Still, plenty good for showering. And the shower had a clever glass surround that would keep her from getting anything wet when she was done and shook off.

Sometimes back home they’d leave a cloud out in the sun for a while to warm it up, but that wasn’t always convenient. As she stepped into the chilly water, Sundew considered the advantages of waiting until sunrise to take a shower; she could sun herself on the pool deck and warm back up. She didn’t want to miss the convention, though, and she’d never experienced anything other than cold or tepid showers.

Twenty little bottles of shampoo and six bottles of conditioner later—she only conditioned her mane and tail—she was both clean and cold. The room had a box on the wall that made heat, and she could dry herself in front of it. Those buttons could be pushed by a pen, and she’d learned that bigger numbers were hotter air, that you could push the red arrow to make it hot and the blue arrow to make it cold.

Of course, there was the risk of overheating the room and making Kukui uncomfortable, so maybe that wasn’t the best idea.

She reached a hoof for the shower lever and was about to push it off when a realization occurred. The dial was also labeled in a blue to red scale. What if instead of volume, it was heat?

The sink could make hot water, so why not the shower?

Sundew considered this. She’d had hot water in teas and soups and coffee, she’d showered in sun-warmed water and she’d heard of fancy spas where they had a tub that was hot.

There was a spot where she could stand in the shower and not have the water hit her, and that was the safest place to be if she was wrong. The water volume coming out of the showerhead was like an intense rainstorm and she’d flown in worse but preferred not to.

Sure enough, turning the dial further didn’t increase the water intensity, and after the shower had run for nearly a minute she stuck her hoof in to be sure. It was the same volume, and it did feel warmer.

Hot water could burn, so she cautiously turned the dial up, and the water temperature followed. Comfortable, then luxurious, then decadent. It was like liquid sunshine on her back, and she sat down on the floor and let the water wash over her, warming and easing tension she didn’t even know she had.

Steam clouds rapidly filled the bathroom, quickly condensing on all the chilly, hard surfaces, and for a few minutes she played with it, making little clouds that were destroyed the instant they hit the relentless spray, and then she started to wonder if the hot water might run out, if she was being rude to other ponies by hogging it.

And then she stopped caring, and just sat down and let the hot water wash over her.

Author's Note:


Source

Comments ( 94 )

Oh my word such precious wet floof!

Hey an update

D'awww, shower pone

Aww, that's so cute

Nice update! Such a cute pony!

Happy to see this back! Now that conventions are finally coming back, this whole story is an adorable breath of nostalgia!

This was a great "stranger in a strange land" perspective of what a likely rural pegasus would think about their hotel room.

That is such a cute picture.

*happy birb-horse noises*

Too cute! 😘
Admittedly we also took a probably-embarrassing amount of time to evaluate the full operation modes of hotel showers. Mostly because we tend to conserve where possible, and it's apparently impossible to have warm water while reducing water usage.

So, is Kukui pronounced Kuu-qwee?

Those buttons could be pushed by a pen, and she’s learned

she learned

More slippery than water should be

"At the Hyatt Regency our water is wetter than wet!"

That hotel must have a good water softening system, or Baltimore's water supply is low in minerals to begin with.

In Boston, you get hard water a lot of the time, as the water from the Quabbin Reservoir is rather high in minerals.

I too notice water hardness and smell wherever I go. And wish I could shower in bottled water.

Sometimes hotel showers are amazing, sometimes they're terrible. Even at high-end hotels sometimes, except the ones where the bathroom is a freakin' spa on its own.
But yeah, shower pone is adorable.

"And the shower had a clever glass surround that would keep her from getting anything wet when she was done and shook off." Did you mean "glass surrounding it"?

11114294
Depends on how good their water pressure is, I guess. More people showering at once = less hot water, or lower water pressure.

I was expecting this to be a story about a pony clogging a drain up with fur.

So which came first? Picture or story?

And then she stopped caring, and just sat down and let the hot water wash over her.

Sundew later said that it wasn't her fault that a unicorn had overheard her talking about the wonderful hot water to the pegasi at the convention; sure, the next morning the hotel hot water ran dry early and most of the unicorns missed out, but that was their fault for being a unicorn and being lazy and not getting up before dawn.

Said unicorns missed out on the hot water from the hotels showers, and were grumpy. Said unicorns gathered downstairs in the coffee shop and grumbled at each other about their greedy feathered brethern who had stolen the hot water, and how typical it was. Then almost as one, said unicorns had pivoted and looked at the pool, looked at each other, and figured that while that was alot of water right there, there were alot of unicorns right *here* as well.

From then on, ponies were permanently banned from the pool.

Never have though I'd see an update, with image no less. Please keep them coming.

Bird Pony finds novelty thing among humanity, enjoys it immensely, more at seven.

But then the hotel Drain Monster oozed out and devoured her!

This is legit danger! B-movies wouldn't sell me wrong! :derpytongue2:

Everypony said shoes didn’t get as much traction on hard floors, but then farmers wore them to tend their fields and she knew that some shoes had spikes on them—she still had some scars on her barrel from one, in fact.

Any chance the floor tiles would survive contact with an earth pony equipped with spiked horse shoes?
Also, what were they fighting about? Life threatening things like which fruit tastes better?


Good chapter!
I enjoyed reading it.

I was already worried this story had entered hiatus and went forgotten.
Good to be proven wrong.


11114387

From then on, ponies were permanently banned from the pool.

And the unicorns and pegasi started - of course - blaming each other again.
While the earth ponies just grumbled while silently plotting how to "properly thank those feather brains and horn heads for messing up as always", as one of them put it.

11113752
Adorable comfy happy wet floof

11113786

D'awww, shower pone

Happy shower pone is best pone

11113850

Nice update!

Thank you!

Such a cute pony!

She is! Not actually Sundew, I’m afraid; it’s an OC called Crimm Harmony

11113927

Happy to see this back!

:heart:

Now that conventions are finally coming back, this whole story is an adorable breath of nostalgia!

Indeed! Conventions are still kind of sketchy and weird, given the situation (the three I went to this year all were mask-required, and two of them required proof of vaccination to get a badge . . . understandable, given the circumstances. Hopefully soon we’ll be past that.

I wouldn’t expect super regular updates on this one, it’s more for themed stories as I think of them, but I’ve still got some ideas for chapters and most importantly cute ponies having fun in a hotel and maybe even the convention center.

11113937

This was a great "stranger in a strange land" perspective of what a likely rural pegasus would think about their hotel room.

Thank you!

One of the mental exercises I often do is seeing a thing and asking myself what a pony would think of it, how a pony would interact with it, etc. That’s actually always fun for a short writing exercise, too; look at something you’ve got around the house and figure out how a pony might use it, what a pony might think it was for, etc.

11113972
It really is. I was looking for something that was thematic, and boy did that picture knock it out of the park. It’s so adorable, that pony is very, very happy.

11114025
Honestly, right now I’d be very happy to be in a hot shower that would keep on being hot for as long as I wanted it to be.

I suppose I could rent a hotel room. . .

11114027

Admittedly we also took a probably-embarrassing amount of time to evaluate the full operation modes of hotel showers. Mostly because we tend to conserve where possible, and it's apparently impossible to have warm water while reducing water usage.

My general experience is you get ‘on’ and ‘off,’ and can set the temperature and maybe if it’s a nicer hotel you’ve got a twistable shower head that gives you varying types of spray. They’re not typically set up for turning the water on and off as needed while maintaining a specific temperature, although I have seen some lever-style where you turn the lever to the temperature you want and then pull it out for volume (or off).

I would imagine that a hotel would want faucets where the operation is easy to understand and that are cheap and reliable, since you normally wouldn’t expect your guests to have to figure out some new type of plumbing. Internet’s full of people who misuse bidets, for example.

11114098

So, is Kukui pronounced Kuu-qwee?

I had to do more interneting than I thought I would to give you an answer. It’s ‘koo-koo-ee’, according to Google, and YouTube results are similar.

Back when I wrote Through the Ice, most of the characters were named after USCG Cactus, Mesquite, Iris, or Juniper class buoy tenders, since those had pony-sounding names. I went back to that for this; Sundew is/was an Iris-class [WLB-404] and Kukui [WLB-203] is a juniper-class ship.

Sundew (the ship) famously rescued the only survivors from the Carl D. Bradly shipwreck, and you need only ask and I’ll go on about that particular mission. :heart:

Those buttons could be pushed by a pen, and she’s learned

she learned

Fixed to ‘she’d learned’

"At the Hyatt Regency our water is wetter than wet!"

As someone who has hard, iron- and sulphur-laden water, the not-smelly softened stuff smells and feels weird.

11114201

That hotel must have a good water softening system, or Baltimore's water supply is low in minerals to begin with.
In Boston, you get hard water a lot of the time, as the water from the Quabbin Reservoir is rather high in minerals.

My house (and many other rural homes) have well water that’s loaded with sulphur and iron, so any kind of water that doesn’t smell like eggs and is vaguely magnetic is weird water . . .

I don’t specifically recall how softened the Hyatt’s water is, but it’s certainly more treated than raw groundwater.

11114203

I too notice water hardness and smell wherever I go. And wish I could shower in bottled water.

Not me; if the water isn’t magnetic, is it really water?

11114294

Sometimes hotel showers are amazing, sometimes they're terrible. Even at high-end hotels sometimes, except the ones where the bathroom is a freakin' spa on its own.

I’ve had both kinds, but I will say that I’ve never run out of hot water in a hotel.

But yeah, shower pone is adorable.

Shower pone is adorable :heart:

11114326

Did you mean "glass surrounding it"?

Nope, I did mean ‘a glass surround.’ Admittedly, that’s probably a term Sundew wouldn’t actually know.

Depends on how good their water pressure is, I guess. More people showering at once = less hot water, or lower water pressure.

That’s a problem I’ve never run into at a hotel or college dorm room, but of course it’s possible to reach the limit of what the system can handle if enough people are all showering at the same time.

11114370

I was expecting this to be a story about a pony clogging a drain up with fur.

Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn’t. Worth considering is that ponies don’t shed a lot (actual fact), and Sundew is having a good time (also actual fact).

11114372

So which came first? Picture or story?

The story, and then I figured If I could find a thematic picture, and boy did I hit a home run with that.

11115146
Same here. I broke quarantine and went to three furry cons I went to this year only because they all required masks and proof of vaccine. Every single non-furry con I usually go to didn't care. I have no idea how Brony cons are doing this year (The only one I've been to is High Roller in 2019) but I certainly hope they are also putting safety first.

The great part is that this is the first time I've gone to cons without getting sick within 6 hours of getting home! I love it!

11114387
There has been some speculation on how things got how they were at the beginning of G5 . . . this is a plausible theory. Everypony enjoys hot showers in the morning, and if the pegasi are hogging them. . . .

11114452

Never have though I'd see an update, with image no less. Please keep them coming.

Which, chapters or cute images? Or both? :rainbowlaugh:

11114573

Bird Pony finds novelty thing among humanity, enjoys it immensely, more at seven.

It’s the little things in life that we find the most enjoyable, and that ponies find the most enjoyable.

11114704

But then the hotel Drain Monster oozed out and devoured her!

That’s why showers have those drain covers, you know. It’s not to keep stuff from going down the drain, it’s to keep the monsters in the pipes from getting out.

11114854

Any chance the floor tiles would survive contact with an earth pony equipped with spiked horse shoes?

Honestly, probably not. A polite pony wears shoes with removable spikes (caulks) and doesn’t wear them except when she needs them. But in more rural farming communities, floors are probably built with the idea in mind that working ponies will be using the buildings.

Also, what were they fighting about? Life threatening things like which fruit tastes better?

Probably, yeah, she was a filly when it happened, so the usual schoolyard stuff.

Good chapter!
I enjoyed reading it.

:heart:

I was already worried this story had entered hiatus and went forgotten.
Good to be proven wrong.

I wouldn’t be expecting regular updates, but the story hasn’t been forgotten :heart:

And the unicorns and pegasi started - of course - blaming each other again.
While the earth ponies just grumbled while silently plotting how to "properly thank those feather brains and horn heads for messing up as always", as one of them put it.

This is how the situation got to what we see at the beginning of G5 :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment