• Published 25th Aug 2020
  • 3,834 Views, 566 Comments

Convention Hotel - Admiral Biscuit



Pony tourists invade Baltimore Inner Harbor Hyatt Regency for a convention.

  • ...
5
 566
 3,834

Arrival

Convention Hotel
Admiral Biscuit
Chapter 1: Arrival

They came to Baltimore from all over, arriving by various means. Some of them flew, some took airplanes, and many arrived by train. A few took buses—chartered, if enough were clustered geographically, or Greyhound otherwise.

A few arrived by car, and one arrived by boat, sailing into the Inner Harbor and mooring at the docks just below Federal Hill.

The first group gave the hotel staff pause. They'd known about the convention, of course, but they hadn't really been prepared for the first pony who bumped her muzzle on the revolving door, paused long enough for it to hit her in the rump, and then darted forward and out, casting a wary glance backwards at the contraption.

She looked around the lobby, taking in the little alcove with computers that anybody could use. The long open fireplace on the opposite wall, currently not lit in deference to the humid July day.

One of the clerks motioned for her to come over, worried perhaps that she might set hoof on the escalator. It wasn't proper to think she wouldn't expect the stairs to move, but it was clearly obvious she hadn't expected the door to feed her into the hotel.

A few other patrons, the clerk noticed, were also studying the pony, while trying not to be obvious about it. That was understandable, and if their staff meeting was any indication, soon they would have plenty of ponies to goggle.

The mare made her decision, and with a flick of her tail, she clacked over to the desk.

When she'd arrived, she hooked her forehooves on the desk and pulled herself up, just enough that her head stuck over the top. “Hi! I'm Bottlecap.”

“I'm Kaia.” She hesitated for a moment; normally her script would have her asking if the pony—if Bottlecap—had a reservation, but she probably did. “Is your room reserved under 'Bottlecap?'

“I hope so.”

Kaia's fingers danced on the keyboard, and found no reservation. Frowning, she tried again, this time just entering 'Cap' in the field for the last name. Still no result. Comma 'Bottle' did provide a result: Pony, Bottlecap. Gender tagged 'prefer not to say.' Already, she had an inkling how the day might wind up going.

“Do you have any form of identification, Miss?” She wasn't entirely sure if Bottlecap was all one name or two and didn't want to risk offending her guest. “And a form of payment.”

“Certainly.” She ducked her head down and came back up with a passport, visa, and credit card all held between her lips.

It only took a moment to enter the relevant information into the computer. The visa, she noted, had her name listed as Bottle Cap, while the passport simply said Bottlecap.

She passed the cards back. “Do you have a floor preference? You're booked for harbor view; we have rooms available on the sixth through fourteenth floors.”

“Might as well get a good view, I guess.” Her ears turned for a moment, then focused back at Kaia. “Maybe not all the way at the top, that might be something a pegasus would prefer. How about nine? I like nine.”

“Of course. I can put you in room 918.” While she finished up with the reservation and the programming of the keys, Kaia briefly explained the amenities of the hotel—the exercise room, the rooftop bar and pool, the restaurant on the third floor and the twenty-four hour convenience store on the second. Without even the slightest condescending tone, she also explained how the room key needed to be used to move the elevators to guest floors. A pony might not know.

“Do you have any luggage? I can have a porter bring it up.”

“Just my saddlebags,” she said. “That's all I need.”

“I—it says here that your room is reserved for two. Is the other guest here?” Unlikely; there weren't any other ponies in the lobby yet.

“No, she had to take a late train.” Bottlecap glanced over at the elevator bank. “If they don't work without a card, how's she going to get in?”

“I can put a note in the computer, and when she arrives, I can call your room, or have a porter escort her up, whichever you prefer. Or if she wants, since you're already checked in, she can just call you and you can come down to meet her in the lobby. That's what a lot of people do at conventions.”

“Can you make a key for her and set it aside, so when she comes she can just let herself in the room? I might be napping.”

“Of course.” A few more keyclicks. The key wouldn't be created until she actually arrived, of course. “Let me make sure, the reservation says Melba—“

“Yeah, Peach Melba.”

Whoever had been entering in pony names hadn't understood which fields first and last names should go in, Kaia noted. That was something to mention to the rest of the staff; besides the hassle of looking up reservations, ponies might be insulted by people getting their name wrong.

“It's all taken care of, Bottlecap. Enjoy your stay at the Hyatt Regency hotel. If there's anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please let us know.”

“Thanks!”

She turned and made her way to the bank of elevators. There was already a car parked at the ground floor, and from her post, Kaia could see her enter, and after a moment, the elevator began its ascent.

Meanwhile, the revolving door disgorged another pony, this one a unicorn.

•••

They came from all over, arriving by various means. Some of them flew, some took airplanes, and many arrived by train. A few took buses—chartered, if enough were clustered geographically, or Greyhound otherwise.

Some of them had bags and bags of luggage, others only had saddlebags on their backs. Some struggled with the revolving doors, although the porters and valets out front quickly realized and directed them through the doors beside the revolving door.

Most of them passed through the lobby the normal way, the exception being the fliers.

Kaia saw him when he glided down the escalator; he was a light yellow with a spiked grey mane and she was certain if he'd checked in, she would have noticed him. The fact that he came up to her desk and asked for a key was a good indication he hadn't, and she wondered if he'd come in the back way. That was where buses stopped, and maybe he'd gotten on the elevator and ridden up a couple floors before realizing that that wouldn't get him where he needed to go.

It didn't occur to her until much later that many of the pegasi were landing on top of the parking garage and making their way down from there, nor did she realize until much later that they weren't riding the elevator down from the sixth floor; they were jumping off the balcony over the 300 club and gliding down from there.

Admittedly, it was the most direct route to the lobby.

•••

As the afternoon went on, the reception area overcame its initial struggles. The three desk clerks on staff used their downtime to check through all the various reservations and made notes on what possible variant of the pony’s name might have been entered. Everyone had gotten over the shock of seeing unicorns levitate things, and the entire staff had been treated to a pony family, complete with two adorable foals and an only slightly less adorable teenage daughter. They didn’t know for a fact that she was a teenager, but the way she rolled her eyes when her younger brother and sister excitedly rode the escalator up and then back down again implied it.

Things had almost fallen into a routine, then a zebra arrived with an entourage and a regal bearing. Said entourage had a suite and technically there were more ponies than the room was supposed to have.

Ponies were small, and more of them could fit in a suite. She found one that was next to an unoccupied room, just in case, and put a note in the computer to not sell it right away. Just in case they decided the suite wasn’t big enough to fit them all.

As soon as they tromped off to an elevator and crammed themselves inside the cab, she turned to Miriro and whispered “Do you think she’s royalty, rich, or some kind of celebrity?”

“She didn’t have enough stuff to be rich,” Miriro said. “I heard ponies had princesses and queens and stuff, so I’d bet she’s royal. Plus, she had one of her entourage do the transaction for her. That’s how you know. A rich person wants to be seen tossing around the wealth; royalty can’t be bothered.”

•••

Every time they thought they’d seen it all, a new guest arrived. A pair of bird-lions soared down majestically from the sixth floor, and after they’d checked in, Miriro and Kaia debated what they were. It was incredibly rude to ask a guest what their race was, and both of them assumed that that extended to species. Miriro thought they were griffons, while Kaia vaguely remembered her boyfriend mentioning a Shirdal which kind of fit their description. It was something to ask him about tonight.

There were ponies with cloven hooves, jagged horns, and leonine manes and tails; there were bipedal lizards, bird-horse hybrids—hippogriffs, which they both knew from Harry Potter—and even a strange bipedal cat who reminded Miriro of Fonzie. Kaia had no idea who Fonzie was.

By the end of their shifts they had concluded that there was simply no logic to Equestrian names; some of the guests only had a single name, some had two—likely first and last, but that couldn’t be assumed—and a few had more, such as Jonquilla Redder van de Narcissen.

The usual routine for guests was to check in, wash the dust off in their rooms, and then leave their rooms again and do things. Said things varied from group to group and individual to individual; none of them knew quite what to expect from the Equestrians. Would they be demanding guests? Entitled guests? Would they come down to the lobby and mingle, or would they prefer to stay up in their rooms? Were they partiers or not? Complainers? Kaia could read most of her guests by the time the check-in was complete, but she had little luck with the ponies. Most of them were friendly and patient, which was a good sign. Some of them needed specific instructions on how the keycards worked and how the elevators worked, which was not as good a sign. And any number of them came into the lobby from the most convenient entry-point, which was also worrisome. The sixth-floor patio’s door wasn’t locked from the outside, because why would it be? A large number of winged guests arriving via the patio was a valid reason to re-think security on that door.

Ponies had come back down from their rooms, mostly grouping on the second floor, but a few clusters had established themselves on the first. One group was trying to figure out the computer, which luckily for her was outside her area of responsibility. A lizard was rummaging through the plastic jewels that surrounded the potted plants, but not causing any harm. And every now and then a pony entering the hotel would get caught in the revolving door despite the best efforts of the valets and porters.

There was no rule that said she had to leave the hotel premises at the end of her shift. Usually, she did; it was un-American to hang about at one’s workplace when the shift was over. But ponies had also discovered the bar, and some of them were taking advantage of it, and she was genuinely curious to learn more about the hotel guests, so she took off her name tag and joined them.