• Published 25th Aug 2020
  • 3,854 Views, 566 Comments

Convention Hotel - Admiral Biscuit



Pony tourists invade Baltimore Inner Harbor Hyatt Regency for a convention.

  • ...
5
 566
 3,854

Ice

Ice
Admiral Biscuit

The hotel was huge. Peach Melba had never been in any building so big. Sure, there were palaces in Equestria which were probably as large, but she’d never been in any of them.

She couldn’t help but explore. In the lower levels, there were rooms everywhere, some which she could enter and some which she couldn’t. She knew that there were even more rooms hidden, service rooms beyond nondescript service doors, kitchens near the restaurants, and closets for every purpose. She had read every sign and tried to figure out what rooms were meant for, the ones she couldn’t get in. Things like ‘Janitor's Closet’ were easy to understand, while rooms with names like ‘Pratt’ and ‘Lombard’ were less understandable.

Peach had figured out that there were more elevators than she could find, too. There were four main elevators, and two more in the parking garage—which were numbered seven and eight, suggesting that there were at least two which weren’t meant for guests.

Above level six, there was less to explore. She’d figured out that all the floors with guest rooms had a similar arrangement, although confusingly none of them featured a thirteenth or fourteenth room: they just skipped right ahead.

One of her exploratory trips led her to a small room near the elevators. Just an alcove, really.

On one side of the room were two humming machines with big advertisement pictures on them. She knew what those were; they were machines you could put money in and get drinks out of. You had to push a button with the drink you wanted on it, and it would drop down into the littler cabinet at the bottom, which was really too small to get a muzzle into, and the bottles were slippery and hard to get out without a unicorn to help.

There were similar machines she’d seen that offered all sorts of snacks, visible through a glass front, and most of them had a door which unintentionally served as a hoof-trap.

The machine on the opposite wall didn’t have any advertisement on it, nor did it have a slot to put money in. It just had a button that said ‘push for ice,’ so she did.

The machine grumbled and rattled, and then ice cubes dropped out of it and into a waiting bin below.

Peach stuck her nose in the bin. The bottom was too far down for her to reach any of the ice that it had dropped, even if it hadn’t slid out of view into the guts of the machine.

She stepped back and pondered it, trying to wrap her head around what its purpose was. Back in Equestria, she got ice four times a moon for her icebox, although it arrived in a big block rather than in little chunks.

They had a glass-faced icebox in their hotel room, although she couldn’t figure how ice was supposed to get in it. It was built into a cabinet, and there weren’t any access doors she could find, although it stayed cold all the time. Maybe the maids kept it full when they came by and replaced towels and bedding; maybe there was something that only they could access. There was a locked door in that wall which might lead into some sort of narrow access space, although it seemed unnecessarily large for such a purpose.

If she had some sort of bucket, she could catch the ice in it. She had her suitcase, and her saddlebags, but she decided that neither of them would be a good choice for transporting ice.

Then she remembered that there was a silver bucket in her room. Bottlecap had told her that it was supposed to be used for champagne, which she thought was silly. All the champagne she’d seen so far had been served in slender glasses called flutes which weren’t hoof-friendly at all.

Regardless of what the bucket was supposed to be used for, she went back to her room and got it. It fit into the maw of the machine and when she pushed the button, the machine happily filled her little bucket with ice.

It was clear that somewhere in the hotel, probably down in the basement where guests weren’t supposed to go, they had an ample ice supply. They might chip it down and carry it up in the hidden elevators, and the maids could get it to refill the glass-faced iceboxes as needed.

That thought gave her pause. Maybe she wasn’t supposed to be in here; maybe this room was for the maids only. But if that were the case, why didn’t it have a door? Surely it was meant for the guests.

Peach put the bucket on her back and walked down the hall to her room, deep in thought. Sometimes in the late summer and early fall, ice got expensive. If ponies hadn’t cut enough off the ponds in the winter, supplies got low and it had to be imported from cloud cities—pegasi could make as much as they wanted up in the clouds. She probably didn’t need ice, not here in a hotel that catered to every whim, but the thrifty part of her insisted that since it was available right now, she ought to stock up in case she needed it later. In case they ran out.

The glass-faced icebox couldn’t keep much ice. The lid should have been on top, and she could have piled it full. However, she knew that ice would keep for a long time if there was a lot of it, especially if there was something insulating to put overtop.

🧊 🧊 🧊

By the time the machine had finally run out of ice, the bathtub was nearly full. Peach dragged the blankets off one of the beds and into the bathroom, tucking in the ice to protect it. The other bed was plenty big enough to share with Bottlecap.

They’d have to figure out what to do for showers, but that was okay. She was sure one of the other ponies in the hotel would be happy to share for a few buckets of her ice.

Author's Note:

A great way to keep food fresh for longer is to keep it cold. That’s easy if you live in the Arctic (or Antarctic); just put it outside.

Springs and in some cases wells were used historically, which was great if you had a spring or a well. If not . . . winter was cold, winter had ice, and the idea of harvesting the ice and keeping through the summer actually turned into an industry for decades. It would be cut from lakes (usually) in the winter, stored in an icehouse which in simplest form was a room dug in the ground and heavily insulated, and distributed year-round by an iceman.

Fun fact, 7-11 started out in 1927 as an icehouse storefront (if you didn’t want to pay for delivery, you could go to the ice store).

Houses had iceboxes, which were sort of like fridges except that they had a refrigerator section, a frozen section, and an ice section. And while it might seem inconvenient to have to put a new block in your icebox every week or so, unlike modern refrigerators, ice boxes kept working during a power outage. Physics!


Source

Even after mechanical refrigeration became common, lots of industry had been built around standard-sized blocks of ice, and railroad cars in the US continued to be kept cold with blocks of ice well into the 1950s and possibly the 1960s.