• Published 25th Aug 2020
  • 3,873 Views, 566 Comments

Convention Hotel - Admiral Biscuit



Pony tourists invade Baltimore Inner Harbor Hyatt Regency for a convention.

  • ...
5
 566
 3,873

Slalom

Slalom
Admiral Biscuit

The Hyatt had a large atrium, stretching from the second floor all the way to the sixth. It provided plenty of natural light, and an open, airy feeling that the other hotels nearby lacked. Balconies on the third through sixth floors opened onto the atrium, providing passers-by with a good view of the Baltimore inner harbor.

The only thing interrupting the view were the occasional concrete pillars, which were a structural necessity. Most people didn't really notice them, nor the delicate steel webbing tying them into the roof structure. If they spoiled the view, people just moved a few feet along the balcony.

•••

People in general don't tend to look up, so nobody noticed right away that there was a pony perched precariously on a steel truss six floors up, despite his yellow coat and maroon hoodie.

He took a few tentative steps towards the junction of beams atop the cement column, moving cautiously in order to keep his balance.

A moment later, still unnoticed by the few people far below on the second floor, a second pony joined the first on the slender steel support. She was virtually his twin, and had anybody below been looking up, they would have been unlikely to tell them apart.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Sure, it's good practice.” The colt took another step forward, edging ever so slightly towards the top of the column, the place where all the steel beams came together.

Had they billed themselves as a highwire act, they would have garnered a huge audience far below, but for now they continued doggedly forward, completely unobserved.

He reached the relative safety of the top of the column and scrunched himself into the beams, watching his sister's wavering progress until she, too, joined him.

“Good practice.” She snorted. “So now what?”

“Now, we can—“ He paused to consider.

“We can't go any higher, Pickle.”

“I know that.” That wasn't entirely true; the ceiling was still above. “But down and around.”

The two of them looked over the edge of their perch. The column they were sitting on wasn't the only one holding the roof up.

“They are like stone trees.”

“Without branches, though. That'll make it easier.” Pickle pointed towards the bank of elevators, and the sixth-floor hallway that crossed beyond. “What do you think, Bar, over there and under and back?”

Barley counted the columns, and nodded. “Backside of the first, then around twice.”

“One floor at a time, or it doesn't count.”

“Okay.” She studied the steel, how some places it went up at angles and other places it was flat, connecting one pillar to the next. How there were places where one could pass and places where one could not. “We gotta have an ending point. You can't have a race without an end.”

“Yeah.” He pointed to the open structure above the coffee stand. “What about there?”

“And we don't have sompeony to tell us when to start. It's not gonna be fair if you say it.”

“The elevators.” He pointed over to one of the cars as it rose. “The first one, we can go when it stops on the third floor.”

“Okay.” That was fair.

The duo spread apart to give each other a bit of room. Both were planning the route in their heads, considering where they might have an advantage over their sibling. Pickle was stronger, but Barley was more flexible, and either could win the race.

•••

The second elevator car stopped unexpectedly at the sixth floor. Neither of them had been paying it much attention; neither of them had noticed the worried security officer riding up—but he'd noticed them. It wasn't the first time that somebody had done something dumb in the atrium. By the grace of God he hadn't been there the last time, but he'd heard all about it and he couldn't help but wonder what he might do were he presented with that situation.

One part of his mind insisted that he'd do what needed to be done, that he'd shinny out on the beam and be a big goddam hero and maybe he would, but he'd already called the fire department and the paramedics and as he rode up, a worried eye on the two ponies atop the pillar, he'd been constantly repeating the mantra of first-responders the world over: please, not on my shift.

The elevator wouldn't go any faster, but his key at least guaranteed it wouldn't stop for anyone else on its way up. It was by pure instinct he grabbed it out of the slot before squeezing through the partially open doors, and then he was sprinting down the hallway, too late.

•••

Both pairs of pony eyes were focused on the first elevator car, slowly rising from the second floor to the third—and then it stopped.

“Now!”

Barley's ears perked, and she lept forward, off the column to the thin tracework of steel. Her hooves skidded on the smooth surface—she should have known that there was practically no traction from her journey to the column. Already her brother was ahead of her, edging to the left, but she had her balance and even if it was awkward she estimated that gains here would pay dividends later. She was on the most direct route, as long as she could keep her footing.

•••

The guard skidded to a stop. He was too late. There was no way he could head them off, there was nothing he could do but watch and pray. Off in the distance he could hear approaching sirens. If the two were just clinging to a beam or support, waiting for rescue, he could assure them that it was on its way, but they were racing, darting across the trusses from one column to the next.

His heart skipped a beat as a hoof slipped on the steel, throwing the pony off-balance, and he grabbed the railing as she recovered. That had been too close. . . .

•••

The third column was close, with its own tangle of steelwork, and there were no more beams in her favor. Her brother was above and ahead of her, but she was gaining already.

She twisted as she approached it, her hind hooves shoving off the beam as she snapped her wings open and gave one last kick for speed, then rolled back to level flight, her eyes already on the next column. Nobody was on the balcony, so she pulled her hooves up and rocketed across just above the railing, dropping back down as soon as her hind legs were clear.

Slaloming around the columns was easy, routine—they did it all the time in Hope Hollow, although usually with trees. She couldn’t get close to a tree trunk, on account of the branches, but she could get close to a support column, brushing her primaries against the concrete as she passed.

End columns were a different challenge. Instead of skimming by as close as possible, she would have to turn around, and Barley was already calculating the best way to do that without losing too much speed. A high bank, or cut wide and lose less speed?

Pickle opted for a high bank, rolling almost perpendicular to the column and fighting his momentum all the way around. He took the lead, but her wider path left her better set up for the fifth-floor slalom.

Gotta bleed off speed for the corners and get it back again, she thought. There wasn’t a rule about going up, just only going down one floor at a time. If she did a tight spiral climb, she’d finish the turn in a more stable configuration and have some altitude she could drop for more speed.

•••

By the time the twins crossed above the coffee shop—neck and neck—the first members of the fire brigade were rushing into the hotel.

Up on the sixth floor, the security guard slumped against the wall as the pair landed safely. What he ought to do was march down and tear a strip off their hides, but he just couldn’t. In fact, he wasn’t sure that he could move just yet. While the immediate terror of them plummeting to their deaths had been avoided, their race had left them with plenty of opportunities to smash into a column and then fall to their deaths, or take out some poor bastard who was walking along a balcony or even wipe out a waiter at the 300 club—they’d come out of the restaurant at not much more than table-height.

He did muster the energy to radio down to the front desk that the situation had been handled and the fire department could be dismissed.

•••

Pickle and Barley made quick friends with the fire fighters, and managed to get a tour of the fire trucks. One of them was a Pierce Dash CF that was very similar to a Matchbox fire truck Barley owned.

The winner of the race was never determined.