• Published 6th Jan 2020
  • 2,986 Views, 145 Comments

The Mirror - SoloBrony



Cozy Glow awakens from her stone prison to find herself in the care of a strange, taciturn stallion. She soon discovers that the world has changed significantly from what she remembered, and not for the better.

  • ...
9
 145
 2,986

Mirror

I couldn't cry forever, even if it felt like I should. I was numb and exhausted by the time I was done, pressed against the caretaker, who practically radiated sincere concern. I hadn't expected that, but I didn't have the heart to really care or press into it right then.

Eventually, he carried me to bed and tucked me in. He sat on the edge and stayed with me until I fell asleep.

Part of me wanted to tell him to go away, but I liked having him there, and I figured that was okay as long as I didn't have to admit it. If he left, I might stop feeling so humiliated by my outburst.

And then it might start again.

Instead, he just sat with me, rubbing my head occasionally, until I passed into sleep.

When I woke up, I could still feel the pain, even through the numb layer of sensation going through me. One thought kept recurring to me, that nothing had changed, but I kept trying to push it down.

There was still nothing for me in this world, but I was trying to hold it together for just a little while. The worst of it had passed for now, so I just looked forward and kept moving, wondering when it would catch up again. Couldn't be long.

I made my way to the dining room. The caretaker was there, of course, and we ate together in silence. I kept wanting to speak, but then I just went back to eating, each time. What could I say at this point? I'd already said it all.

The caretaker cleared his throat when we were done, looking at me intently.

"Cozy, I need to speak with you about something important."

I shrugged the same way he always did. That's when I understood what that was; it was something to fill the space when you were too dead to come up with a real answer. "Sure."

"Let me show you something."

He led me back to the study. I followed him, vaguely curious, but still plagued by the thought that it wouldn't matter, whatever it was. He opened a closet and pulled out something with a brown tarp over it; when he dragged it off, I could see it was an ornate, room-height mirror with an elaborate purple frame. I shrugged again and bit back a mean-spirited reply.

"Fancy mirror."

He cleared his throat, and I realized he was uncomfortable.

Wait, is he coming clean about something...? Oh well. I guess it doesn't matter if somepony else did something wrong at this point.

"This isn't just a mirror, Cozy. It's a mirror-portal. It leads to another world."

My eyes widened slightly. I remembered Twilight had something like that.

Wait, could it be...?

"You took that from Twilight's castle before it was destroyed?"

He hesitated, and then nodded. "Well, yes. It leads to—"

"The 'human' world, is that right? Some kind of school?"

He cleared his throat again. "Well, it used to, but it's been modified. This leads to... well, it leads home, Cozy. The home you knew."

I stared at him. I saw him wince slightly, probably expecting some kind of outburst, but...

I just shrugged. "Okay...? So you're saying that leads back in time, or something?"

"Well... more like sideways in time, but yes."

Sideways...?

"Wait, I'm in the wrong timeline? How did that happen?"

"I brought you here. It... took a lot of effort to find this timeline, this specific possibility out of thousands, but I did. A world where Equestria is intact, but never recovered."

I felt a flicker of suspicion and anger, but I stomped down on it. I couldn't feel that without... well, without the rest of it.

"Okay."

He recoiled slightly in surprise. "Okay...?"

"Yeah, like... go on, if you had more to say. Seems like you've got more to say."

He sputtered slightly, but collected himself. I snickered at that; he wasn't used to dealing with deadpan, I guess.

"W-well... In this world, Cozy Glow succeeded. She had a backup plan in case she, Tirek, and Chrysalis were defeated; she wiped out all magic from Equestria, except for a scepter she had hidden away, and she used it to take over."

I laughed at that, shaking my head and staring down at the floor. "I guess 'she' got pretty depressed with the result, huh?"

"Well... yes. After a few years. She stopped caring, started keeping to the palace, and eventually..."

"Angry ponies stormed in, took the scepter, and this place has been terrible ever since. I can figure out the rest."

The caretaker scraped a hoof against the ground, frowning and looking away.

Clearly not going the way you had planned, is it? Oh well.

"... I thought you would be mad."

"I'm too tired to be mad right now. And I'm more mad at myself, honestly, for... well, everything. If you're saying this was some kind of weird punishment, fine, whatever; not the first time I've been punished for misbehaving. At least it wasn't Tartarus."

Tartarus was so much easier to deal with than this...

He sighed, leaning his head against the mirror frame. "Cozy, I didn't mean to punish you. I just wanted to help you."

I watched magic flicker over him. His cloak billowed off, and I spotted a tornado cutie mark on his flank before he slowly began to change form, growing longer, changing color, each of his hooves taking a different form, his horn splitting in two...

I groaned and facehoofed.

"Discord?! Seriously?! You fooled me again?"

Discord had the good grace to look sheepish. And his eyes were more tired-looking than I'd ever seen him.

"I'm... sorry, Cozy—"

I held up a hoof. "No. No, whatever, I get it. It's what I'd have done. It was the only way to manipulate me to get what you wanted. Fine. So... what do you want? If this wasn't a punishment, what was it?"

Discord studied the floor, contemplative. "It was a... second chance. I wanted you to have a... a space, an environment, where you could just slow down, stop, and think."

I sat down on the floor and sighed miserably. "Well, congratulations. I did."

He slithered up to me – probably so he wouldn't seem too imposing by walking over at his full height, I realized – and laid his paw on me. "I know. I didn't realize what it would put you through."

I snorted. "Nopony did, not even me. That was the whole point. So... now what? You think I can just go back to the real Equestria, and be all happy? I told you... even if the world was fine, I'm just not. I don't even know what I want any more. No, I do; I don't want anything, except to just stop hurting. I can't..."

My breath hitched and I growled, trying to force the feelings back down.

"... I can't do this anymore. I can't look back on all of that and just handle it all."

Discord scratched my head slightly, and I leaned into it. I may have been furious with him, on several levels, but right now I just didn't care about any of that.

Any source of warmth was better than what I felt coming from inside of me.

"What if I told you... you don't have to? Here, come look at this."

He waved at the mirror with his talons, and it slid closer to us. I looked up at it, and I saw myself – but not quite. The filly I saw had brushed her mane straight, her coat color was different, but she had my cutie mark. She still had her horn, I saw, and the bigger wings I had when I'd taken Grogar's magic.

She was soaring through the sky, practicing some kind of magic. Most of all, though, what stood out to me was that she was smiling. Not the horrible I-have-a-devious-scheme-and-it's-working smile – I do love that one – but just a simple, genuine smile of enjoyment.

"Who, or what, am I looking at?"

Discord hummed. "It's another future we came across in our search. You thought everypony forgot about you, but we didn't. Twilight, Starlight, Fluttershy... everypony still wanted to find some way to help you, or at least give you a chance. It was agonizing, watching them beat themselves up over it all. Tirek they could accept, I think. Chrysalis was hard; Starlight still wanted to save her so, so badly. But you, you were their friend, their student; they couldn't accept giving up on you, despite everything. They refused, but they couldn't find a way... so I volunteered."

I was stunned by the idea of it. Everypony still cared about me? They'd all seen what I really was! I didn't make any sense – I didn't care about real me, how could they? Discord cleared his throat and continued.

"I didn't tell them the specifics of my plan. But I needed help; my magic is ideal for making change, for causing chaos and tearing down barriers... but this required precision. Twilight, Starlight and Starswirl worked for months to make it possible, and as we did so, we stumbled across the future you see in the mirror while looking for this one."

I gently laid a hoof on the mirror frame. "So... then why did you pick this future to send me to, instead of the good one?"

Discord frowned. "I'm afraid that one required... different circumstances, different choices, to have already been made. It isn't... real. It was just a lost possibility, like this future was – is – and if I'd sent you there, you wouldn't have made the choices that made this future a possibility."

I looked at the happy filly in the mirror. "Because I already made the choices that got me turned to stone."

Discord grimaced and nodded. "Yeah... that's basically right. But I think you're ready, and... I don't see another way. Twilight will be furious, of course, but she always is when I do something reckless. But this filly... she doesn't remember. You won't remember, not at first. Not anything."

I looked up to him, and I felt pathetic for how whiny I sounded. "Nothing? You promise?"

He crossed his heart and a stick with a cupcake on it appeared. I held up a hoof in alarm. "Okay, okay, I believe you!"

I really didn't need to see him 'stick' a cupcake in his eye right now.

The stick vanished with a wave of his paw. "I promise you. It... won't last forever. You'll have to go back to reality eventually; that timeline is lost to us, so we only have a few months of it 'captured', so to speak. But..."

"I'll take it. What have I got to lose...?"

I hitched and looked back up to him. "What about the queen? When we leave... you said this timeline was lost, does that mean it will disappear when we go?"

Discord grimaced and glanced away. "I... maaay have left out a little detail. While this timeline will disappear when we leave, the queen isn't exactly... well, it's complicated."

My mind raced with possibilities, and I realized what those meddling ponies must have fixated on. It actually made me laugh.

"Are you trying to say the queen is Chrysalis, somehow?"

"... More or less. She has her own timeline, where you're just as much of an outlier as she was, here."

He waved a paw at the mirror, and I saw Queen Chrysalis shaping some kind of changeling armor with a nymph. It took me a second...

"Is that supposed to be me?"

"More or less. These timelines are connected; mirrors of one another. What happens in one world impacts the other."

I sighed, and... smiled, just a little.

"I get it, I think. So I was a friend to her, and she was a friend to me, and neither of us even realized it. I... will I be able to visit her? After?"

He nodded. "I can take you into her timeline whenever you want. At least, until she's... well, until she's ready to face Equestria again."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "I can't believe you're trying to reform us. And you sure go about it a weird way."

Discord stared at Chrysalis in the mirror, thinking for a time. All of the spontaneity I associated with him had been missing ever since we arrived, I realized; then again, he sure did an awfully good impression of Grogar when the time came, too...

" 'Reforming', as you put it, was the greatest gift I ever could have asked for, Cozy. I might have had fun before, but real happiness... it's like a warmth that radiates from your bones. When you open your door to others in that blizzard, you can embrace them and chase away the cold. It connects you to the world around you just as much as depression and hatred pull you away from it; things that never made sense start to come clear to you, like you're just waking up for the first time. Without it, you look on the antics others get up to, and they seem..."

"... Stupid," I finished for him, realization dawning. Real happiness, a sense of purpose and belonging... that was the warmth I needed, but how...?

I looked at the mirror, and Discord waved it back over to the image of that smiling filly, probably anticipating my next question. I watched her for a time, and I realized I was crying again.

"She's... really happy, isn't she?"

"She's had her hardships, but yes. Frankly, I couldn't have imagined a more absurd way for you to turn things around, but this was a possibility, deep down. And sure, we may have missed our chance on living in that better timeline this time around, but..." He chuckled. "I'm Discord, who says I have to play by the rules?"

I had practically tuned him out, focusing on the image.

"Can I really feel that? Can I really have that, even for just a little while?"

He leaned down, setting his paw on my head. "Yes, Cozy. For a little while. And we'll keep trying to help you, even after."

I sniffed and bit my lip for a moment before responding. "Why?"

He just chuckled, which I glared daggers at him for, and he held up his talon placatingly. "Cozy... you know why. That's the whole reason I brought you here, to show you."

I felt my eyes go wide, letting tears fall freely as I put it together.

"This isn't what a world without magic looks like, it's what a world without friendship, without love looks like... isn't it?"

He nodded. "And that has to start somewhere. That's why you reached out to the queen, isn't it? To ignite that spark that could fix this world."

I looked back at the mirror, and I managed to screw up a smile as I started to think, just maybe, there might be something worth running towards.

"... Thank you."

Author's Note:

Where can I get a script for a new soul? Mine's defective.


To whomever is unfamiliar, the alternate timeline Cozy is seeing is detailed in https://www.fimfiction.net/story/457279/the-hero-cozy-glow, which serves as a sequel to this story.

Yes, this was planned from the start of that fic, albeit in the background.

Merry Christmas.

Comments ( 51 )

...

You son of a bitch.

You son of a bitch.

You - argh! Argh!

It was wonderful, the conclusion was touching but I still can't believe you.

Take my fave and go home you ratfuck bastard.

10025825
Merry motherfucking Christmas.

After the first chapter I had a feeling the caretaker was this guy, but I quickly dismissed it, funny how that works. This is also a very interesting way to help Cozy with her problems. Great story all around.

10025851
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It took a lot out of me.

Nice.
I suspected something with an alternate or simulated world as part of a reformation attempt was up, but I didn't correctly guess what. :)

re the author's note:
Oh, huh; neat. :D


edit:
...Hm. One thing:
"you said this timeline was lost"
Didn't he actually say that the hero timeline was lost?

edit2:
10025857
Ah, sorry it was difficult to write.

"W-well... In this world, Cozy Glow succeeded. She had a backup plan in case she, Tirek, and Chrysalis were defeated; she wiped out all magic from Equestria, except for a scepter she had hidden away, and she used it to take over."

God damn it! I thought the grim future was because of Friendship. Why does everyone want Friendship to be only good? There is evil in friendship, I mean look at Tirek, Chrysalis & Cozy.

10025912
That's actually a really complex topic. There is inherent good in friendship and harmony, or justice, but you aren't wrong that friendship doesn't just magically wave away all evil, nor is there some prohibition on malicious folks feeling sincere affection for each other and forming opposing groups.

There's a reason it doesn't come up often, though. For that matter, there's a reason villainous people tend to be irrational in real life. I'm not sure you really want the full philosophical rundown of all that, though. In any case, while friendship as a concept plays an important role in this story, it's not the focus or theme, here. This was more about loneliness, self-hatred, and a sense of hopelessness and lack of purpose. You brought some of your own ideas in that just weren't part of the theme. I hope it didn't ruin your enjoyment of the story.

10025883
Both timelines are lost; possibilities that never came to pass. The 'canon' timeline is the one in the show.

Yeah, this story dug into a lot of nastiness for me. That's part of why I never tagged it mystery; while I don't rush to explain why things are the way they are in the story, the mysterious elements aren't the real point of the story. The way Cozy feels about and talks about things is the real point, here.

10025913
No, I was interested in it and thought of probabilities of my own. I wanted some that don’t sugarcoat the possibility that friendship can be responsible for a dark future, a future where it cost them their magic because of peace. I mean what if endless peace makes anyone lose their reason to live their life when they have nothing to fight for or their dreams are now worthless? That’s my P.O.V., I want to inspire more possibilities. I could type them but don’t want to write about the Mane 6 or the other cast. I want my OC to be the star.

10025921
People in countries at peace find new things to strive for. Once survival is no longer the immediate concern, people are free to put their entire effort into self-actualization; research, invention, theory crafting, gaming, poetry, painting, music, dancing, even literature ;)

The fight for survival is not what gives us meaning in life. Everyone has to find their own purpose. That being said, if you really want a story that digs deep into the idea that complacency breeds corruption, I suggest the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, which really deep-dives that concept.

10025927
I don’t know who that is but you gave a great explanation. I mean that’s good. But... sorry for making a counter argument, The Sirens feed off of negativity and what if some species need negativity to live? What if the endless peace causes some species to go extinct? Again sorry for making it counter argument for that good explanation.

10025940
Well, a species-specific problem requires a species-specific solution. See: Changeling reformation. You could write a story where there is no solution, but I'm not sure what it would demonstrate, exactly. In any case, glad I could help shed some light on things for you :twilightblush:

so about the queen, what about them?

10025971
They were a reflection of Chrysalis. Cozy can still go visit her (though in her own timeline) in the future. I'll probably wrangle that in a sequel.

10026024
Tirek wasn't brought up. I was going to explain here, but it just didn't really flow naturally, so I figure I'll cover it in the sequel. This type of therapy didn't work out in regards to Tirek, so they're still not sure what to do with him.

Hmmmm. I feel kind of right? Glad the tornado tattoo wasn't visible earlier, that would have been way too obvious. The Queen being a reflection of Chrysalis is one of those good twists that you never see coming but seem obvious after the fact. Tirek's dimension is conspicuously not mentioned, I feel like maybe Discord and friends find it a little harder to motivate themselves to rescue him.

In any case, a really solid story of redemption and personal growth, as all the best stories on this site are.

10025915
Ahh, thanks; I guess she picked that up from the information given.

Aye.


10025940
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov
You can also find a dramatization of the Foundation Trilogy here; it changes some things and of course leaves others out, but it might be more accessible than the book.

10026592
>Checks with the judges
They say it counts! You win!

Heh, but yeah, you were close-enough. It being an alternative timeline rather than a dream does have a few important implications (Cozy could get hurt or die For Realz here, time is actually passing, and this has inherent meaning as something that could actually have happened), but the general idea wasn't too different.

I am glad you enjoyed it. With this story I didn't want any shenanigans or cop-outs when it came to dealing with Cozy's psychology; I wanted to take as raw a look at it as possible. This setup provides very little outside plot intrusion; it's all driven by Cozy herself (right down to the world setup itself), so I could dig as deep as possible into that topic. I feel like that's a lot more satisfying than stories where a character drifts on from their problems because new things keep happening, but they never fully understand what was wrong with them. As for Tirek, he isn't mentioned because this kind of therapy doesn't work for him; I considered it at great length, but there's just no realistic possible timeline where he has succeeded and regrets it, because Tirek's goal really was just acquiring power, with no caveats or strings attached. He was too nihilistic for there to be a foothold for a new ideology to grasp. I'll clarify that in the sequel.

I hope you also enjoyed the Hero stories, and didn't feel too trolled by how this reinterpreted them.

10026989 Thanks! I thought I'd lose points from the Russian Judge. I always love stories where the villain gets their way and realizes how unsatisfying it is.
And yeah, I like the idea that Cozy is finally stuck and has to deal with something, when she does always feel like she's trying to outrun her escalating mistakes.

You're probably right about Tirek, though I would certainly like to hear about them trying. Also Chrysalis mothering that little grub they saw in the mirror!

Oh, and I think this fits just fine with Dashing Savior.

10027125
I'm glad someone else picked up on how Cozy basically seems to dodge facing the consequences of her actions rather than think them through. It does seem like there's a lot of interest in hearing more about Tirek and Chrysalis, so I'll definitely put some emphasis on them in the sequel.

Enjoyed reading this.

If Hasbro had employed writers like you for MLP:FiM, maybe the finale wouldn't have been so bad.

10031273
I actually liked the finale. Just felt like some things needed more development.

Magnificent stuff. I knew something was off as more came to light. Pieces didn't fit, inconsistencies stuck out... I didn't suspect the full story, but it all comes together in a way that makes perfect sense in hindsight. As does the wave of hatred Cozy's been trying to outpace all this time. She's a pegasus, after all. Stillness is death.

Thank you for this. Sorry it took me some time to get to it.

10032418
I'm really glad you liked it. No hard feelings on it taking you a while; I put out a ton of writing all at once, so it was only natural folks fell behind on some of it, anyway. If you've already read my other two Cozy stories, then the Isekai chapter will be the next piece for you!

i.makeagif.com/media/3-22-2015/PADxui.gif

I knew there was some jiggery-pokery going on! The world was simply too perfectly set against her, too perfectly set up to show what her actions would result in! The whole environment rigged for horrendous introspection! Ah!

And it all links!

You sly fox, you.

10038534
Indeed, heh. I mean, I never tagged it Mystery because that wasn't really the point of the story, but yeah. I am glad you enjoyed it.

10025927
I swear this sounds like something I've heard in Star Trek.

10041365
Glad to see you made it through. Harrowing little journey, at least for me...

What did you think?

Had to double check my comment in the Breakfast chapter before I said anything, but it seems like I was sorta close in grasping what was happening; as in both pieces of the same puzzle were found but didn't realize that they fit together, if that makes sense. Even though this was the future, it also wasn't quite real, as it was a future in the wrong timeline for Cozy. I could see how having to defeat Cozy would hit the princesses, the Mane Six, and Discord the hardest of the three they ultimately had to seal away in stone.

And speaking of which, should have figured that was Discord the whole time. I thought of him for like a split second and then dismissed the possibility (well more like I stopped trying to figure out the 'who' of this character as other aspects of the story seemed more important to follow and grasp). Also, when I saw this story was being written, I figured it was an unconnected one-shot story; never saw it coming that this would essentially be a prequel to The Hero: Cozy Glow. It was touching to see Cozy so touched by the fact that in some future, she truly was happy and didn't have to run from her past by barreling through to a future she believed she desired.

The stick vanished with a wave of his paw. "I promise you. It... won't last forever. You'll have to go back to reality eventually; that timeline is lost to us, so we only have a few months of it 'captured', so to speak. But..."

So does this imply that Discord will be sending Cozy to this timeline, where she will remain for a brief while before returning to her own timeline? And if so, would the timeline from the sequel to this story cease to exist or is it something that was always there and Cozy is a "visitor" of sorts?

I enjoyed reading this story and trying to piece together what exactly this place was.

10041387
She has to go back to the main timeline eventually. I am currently writing the sequel story to this one that deals with that. There is a chapter of Sunset's Isekai coming, which bridges the gap between The Mirror and Never Alone (the sequel)

The sequel is... quite big. Over 70,000 words so far. It and the Isekai chapter will go live on the 22nd.

10041396
Oh right. I recall you mentioning that in a blog. I'll make a note to look out for that chapter and the sequel this Wednesday. The sequel does seem quite big, especially in comparison to the prior stories focusing on Cozy Glow. Do you plan on uploading the entire fic on that day or doing a daily/weekly installment type thing? Either way, looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

10041410
I'm going to upload everything I have. I am trying as hard as possible to finish it before the 22nd; I don't want folks to have to wait for updates on it if I can avoid it.

Just once, I'd like to write a fic that means as much to everyone on here as a lot of the stories here have meant to me. The sort of thing where it's late, and you're really tired, but you just need to finish the story. And it leaves you changed once you're done.

So, in the end she give up and decide to leave instead of trying to solve anything?

10043107
No. She goes through the events of The Hero and Cozy Hearth's Warming, and a sequel will be around shortly tying it all together. Now at 71k words, coming out on the 22nd.

"W-well... In this world, Cozy Glow succeeded. She had a backup plan in case she, Tirek, and Chrysalis were defeated; she wiped out all magic from Equestria, except for a scepter she had hidden away, and she used it to take over."

I’m trying to decide if I like this or if I think this is a cop-out.

"Discord?! Seriously?! You fooled me again?"

On one hand, there’s the vindication that I was right.
On the other, I’m too emotionally exhausted at this point to care, much like Cozy.

Tirek they could accept, I think. Chrysalis was hard; Starlight still wanted to save her so, so badly. But you, you were their friend, their student; they couldn't accept giving up on you, despite everything. They refused, but they couldn't find a way... so I volunteered."

I’m just here to say it makes sense. This all makes sense.

" 'Reforming', as you put it, was the greatest gift I ever could have asked for, Cozy. I might have had fun before, but real happiness... it's like a warmth that radiates from your bones. When you open your door to others in that blizzard, you can embrace them and chase away the cold. It connects you to the world around you just as much as depression and hatred pull you away from it; things that never made sense start to come clear to you, like you're just waking up for the first time. Without it, you look on the antics others get up to, and they seem..."

On one hand, Discord speaks truth.
On the other, even when he’s being serious he tends to use more colorful words.

I couldn't have imagined a more absurd way for you to turn things around,

The adventures of Cozy Glow, superhero, were decidedly absurd, yes.



So, what do we have here?

We have a story that's better in almost every way than The Hero. More impact, more emotion, more FEEL to it. It's all deep down. Very, very deep down. The story cuts to the heart even in the moments it isn't quite as sharp as it could be (but then again, that's a tall order). This ending, from the context of this story alone, seems a little flat, even if it makes sense regarding everything that meshes with the other story and all the guesses.

And another thing I didn't comment on earlier that i will now: the philosophy. The debates. I love them, absolutely, the Queen, Discord, all of it. Readers of mine will know that I absolutely love to insert ideological debates between two imperfect individuals everywhere and then toss them into a blender - often with unpleasant or nonexistent answers. I think, reading this, it reminded me what it feels like to be in the reader's seat during these: fascination, rooting, excitement, and disgust at the depths to which human minds will plumb.

I think this story is excellent. But I have a big question I"m not sure I know the answer to.

Does this undermine The Hero?

The Hero is, at its core, a silly, silly story with a lot of heart to it. It's meant to make you laugh and feel warm and fuzzy inside. Or, if you really had planned this, you didn't give any indication of the sort within the silly nonsense. The Hero was there to entertain and give us hope in the world, and to see that evil events can turn out for the better.

This story does not. In The Mirror, there are few laughs. There is only raw emotion and deep thought. It's very likely this story could bring about depressive spells and drag people down. And... I don't think it brings about hope either. Cozy is ready to throw it all in, go to death's door, and the solution...? There isn't one. It's the "jump to another universe", effectively. This world is doomed, even if it doesn't really exist (and that's an unsettling implication all on its own) and if there was no way out of it, there truly was nothing Cozy could have done. This doesn't teach us to Hope - it teaches us to run away. To find a world or reality where things are different. Not make a reality - not strive and triumph to change the darkness in spite of itself - but to find one. To move, to go seclude ourselves behind gates, to hide in a world that matches what we like and what we want to see.

When all is said and done, I can accept the tonal differences. Sometimes quirky things need to get dark, and vice versa, just to have fun and mix it up a bit and bring about new ideas. However, I think, in the end, this story undermines the hope prevalent in The Hero. Cozy changes in both, yes. But how does she do it? By tying these events to The Hero, the happy little Cozy we see running around is tainted by a tragedy. A timeline she remembers that couldn't be saved, a hopeless world.

I enjoy both stories immensely - this one more so than the first. But, really, they are separate entities, and the morals and themes undermining both fundamentally clash with one another.

This likely seems overly critical. But remember, you affected me enough to get me to write an essay. You did something GREAT here. Something amazing. Don't forget that.

-GM, master of re-reading the Isekai chapter.

Holy shit my mind was blown. So... this is a prequel to The Hero, with a AU Cozy Glow taking the place of the 'canon' Cozy Glow.

Excuse me. I have to get a broom and dustpan. My mind's just been blown.

Sooo... Cozy Glow The Hero was literally an AU? Wowza.

10055425
I don't know about the "undermining" part... Both stories seem to be "what could have been", in a way that the canon Cozy can learn from. One shows what happens if no one went for the friendship route, and the other what happened if she HAD. A "complimentary contrast", if you will.

10160389
In a sense, undermining it was deliberate - it's the presence of doubt while writing something positive. Never Alone (the sequel to both stories) is meant to reconcile that difference. But I don't think it invalidates The Hero. I hoped to expand on it.

Either way, The Hero was my writing for fun, whereas this was my writing a reflection of my own thoughts. I'm just glad people got something from it.

This was a really, really good story. Cozy Glow's breakdown in the second to last chapter was written wonderfully, and more importantly it was well-earned. The story takes its time setting up the pieces, deconstructing Cozy bit by bit, so when the dominos finally do fall, it's a really painful kind of catharsis.

Thank you for sharing this story.

10218391
Aww, thanks. I put a lot of effort into this one, but it hit differently for different folks.

Man, this was so moving.

I like the idea of Discord being the one to give Cozy Glow a brutal lesson, because he himself was given the same one.

Like with Sunset helping Midnight, it is one ex-villain helping another to reform.

10943975
Have no fear my friend, the complement was genuine. You are an excellent writer, the dialogue in particular was engaging and emotional. Very well done.

10944761
I decided to finish Never Alone (the sequel to this fic) in large part due to this comment. Thanks.

10949460
That's gratifying to hear. It's always a privilege to read someone else's work and I'm happy to know that my words helped inspire you to continue writing. Best of luck.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this story wrap back around to Hero. Epic.

Well this gets 8 stubbed toes out of 10 from me. Ouch.

Login or register to comment