• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,416 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,416

PreviousChapters
Chapter 41: It's Okay to Fail

Chapter 41: It’s okay to fail.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Spike’s body lay outside the Empire, still powered by greed. He was covered in oozing gashes and piercings. Inside one piercing, a bit of the crystal survived the heart’s magic. The area around the wound was flush as the body worked to expel the foreign material, but it resisted.

Spike’s rational mind was far away, locked behind the barriers of his greed. It had served its purpose, but now he was having trouble coming back from the brink.

‘It over. Friends safe. Time go back. He thought, and yet…

’Strong now, why change back. Hurt bad, might not be okay.’ He thought, the desires of strength and comfort powerful ones, easy for him to give into.

’Why give up strength. Why serve ponies.’ A stray thought passed through his mind.

’Yeah why serve... Wait! Spike though, was that stray thought really his. He didn’t serve ponies, they were friends. HIS friends.

’But what friends would abandon me to be beaten by Razor Claw.’

’Yeah, why they leave me…? Wait! Not right.’

’Because they aren’t friends. They are using me.’

’No!’

’Yes, it’s true. Think of how they act together. How I was forgotten and left behind. Think of how they ignore me. I should stay strong. I should take the crystals for myself. The Empire could be mine if I want.’

’No. They friends. Friends don’t do everything together. Friends give space. Do not want crystal. Don’t want empire. Want friends. Want Rarity.’

And so the argument in Spike’s mind continued as he fought against the dark thoughts that grew more and more insistent. Still he resisted them, but could not push back against them. He knew his greed was a powerful thing, filled with desire, but this felt wrong, though he couldn’t tell why.

* * * * * * * * *

Across the Crystal Empire ponies celebrated their victory. With their crystalline coats, they danced and cheered in the streets. Fatigue and fear were washed away. The Fair was expanded as ponies brought food, instruments, and toys out from storage to party till dawn. As the party was beginning, one pony realized someone was missing.

Rarity looked around, after she finished admiring her crystalline form. She was filled with joy, but something gnawed at her. Something was missing. Someone was missing. Where was Spike? She looked around, from the balcony she could see the whole city. She saw ponies running, hugging, crying, kissing, and- she looked away quickly, but nowhere did she see Spike.

’If Spike isn’t here, where is he?’ Rarity wondered, looking further afield. Beyond the plaza, beyond the crystal neighborhoods, into the surrounding countryside, she looked for any sign of Spike.

Rainbow saw Rarity wasn’t following the rest of them to join the growing party, but was pacing at the edge of the balcony.

“Rarity, what are you doing? Aren’t you going to join in?” Rainbow asked from the doorway. Rarity didn’t turn, but squinted as she thought she saw a dark shape at the edges of the Empire.

“I am trying to find Spike. I don’t see him down there, and he was hurt during the fighting. I want to make sure he is okay before we enjoy the festivities.” She said.

“Wait, I thought he was right there? Huh?” Rainbow said pointing to where Spike had fallen before noticing he was gone.

“If he’s not there, then shouldn’t he be on his way here now that everything is over? Come on, we will find him down there. Let’s go.”

“Um, do you see that?” Fluttershy said pointing as disturbed ground near where Spike fell. The other two followed her hoof. “It looks like he was pushed away by something, but what?”

“He was rather large when he was fighting Sombra, so he must have been using that greed ability.” Rarity said, thinking hard about what Spike had told her about it. “An ability that comes from a curse Discord put on dragons. You don’t think that the heart pushed him away rather than filling him with magic because of that, do you?”

“I don’t know. Applejack went to get Twilight in case she needs any help getting down, we could ask her once they get back.”

“But if Spike is hurt do we really want to wait that long? He could need our help!” The three mares fell silent and thought about it for a moment. If Spike needed their help could they really afford to wait?

“Okay let’s go.” Rainbow said at last. “Where do we start?”

“I thought I saw something at the edge of the area that was protected by the shield, but I’m not sure...” Rarity said.

“Why not start where he was? Then we can follow the marks in the ground. They should lead us to him.” Fluttershy suggested.

“Makes sense. Okay, you grab that side and I’ll grab this side.” Rainbow said, grabbing Rarity around her left shoulder.

“Huh?” Fluttershy and Rarity said simultaneously.

“Grab Rarity from the other side so we can fly her there. It will be quicker than if we walk.”

“Oh, that makes sense I guess. Rarity, try not to move too much.” Fluttershy said taking position on her right side.

“Girls, maybe we should just waaAAAAALK!?!” Rarity screamed as the pegasi took off. They zipped over the city, quickly making for the last place Spike had been seen.

A few minutes later they touched down in the grass outside the city. There were great furrows carved into it, with rich black soil spilled around where Sombra’s crystals had grown.

“Wow, I know Spike’s greed made him larger, but look at these claw marks!” Rainbow said as she hovered over the field. “He must’ve been huge!”

Rarity and Fluttershy said nothing, merely nodding as they took it in. They quickly set to work, looking across the ground for signs of where Spike had gone. Fluttershy found them first, and the group quickly set out, following her lead.

They moved away from the city quickly, in the direction Rarity thought she saw something from the balcony. As they got closer, the shape began to take form and their speed increased. When they reached Spike, they found him sprawled on the ground, blood dripping from his wounds as they started to scab over, the worst were where he had been pierced by crystals, especially the one with crystal still in it.

The area around it was inflamed, with power glowed dimly in the crystal. “That can’t be good can it?” Rainbow asked, doing a pass over Spike to check for any other injuries invisible from the ground.

“I doubt it. We should get that horrid thing out of him.” Rarity said. As she prepared to pull the crystal from Spike Fluttershy spoke up.

“Wait. If we pull them out without any bandages handy we might start him bleeding and be unable to stop it.” She said.

“So we should just leave him here?” Rainbow asked.

* * * * * * * * *

“So we should just leave him here?”

’See? They just want to abandon me. Some friends they are.[i/]’

“No, we need to get him into the city, or bring supplies from the city out here.” Fluttershy said.

’Wrong. They want help.’ Spike thought back as this dark side that was manifesting itself in his thoughts.

“Well there is no way we are moving him. He is way too big right now.” Rarity said.

“It would be better not to wake him. We don’t know what state his mind is in.” Fluttershy said.

’They fear me. My strength.’

“The last thing we want is for him to start thrashing around and hurt himself worse.”

’Fear for me. Want make better.’ Spike counter back. He was tried, but his friends were there. He forced an eye open. The ponies jumped back as his green iris revealed itself. He pushed for control. Control over himself for those that cared for him and he cared for in turn.

Something was resisting. Something was fighting to keep him filled with greed, and it wasn’t like his normal greed. This was something else.

“Help Spike.” He grunted before pain, fatigue and the battle in his mind overtook him and he fell unconscious.

* * * * * * * * *

“SPIKE!” The mare called out as he passed out.

“That settles it! Rainbow, go back to the city. Find Twilight, Applejack, and get any first aid supplies you can find.” Rarity said. Rainbow nodded and zipped away. “Fluttershy, is there anything we can do right now to help him?”

“For now all we can do is find all his wounds and determine which ones need to be taken care of first.”

“Alright, lead on.”

Together the two of them worked from nose to tail, finding all Spike wounds. Rarity was at once impressed and horrified by what she saw. Horrified by the deep gashed and numerous stab wounds, but impressed that Spike had suffered so much and still fought until that final blow. It also scared her that he would suffer so much for their sake. How far would he go to keep them safe? So often they now found themselves in danger, the fate of Equestria on the line. They were battling foes that Princess Celestia had fought great battles against. Which one would be their last?

Rarity was broken from her thoughts by the telltale pop of a teleport and a gasp.

“Spike.” Twilight said, rushing to his side. Applejack and Rainbow shook their heads, the unexpected teleport disorienting for them. “What happened to you?” She asked collapsing as she saw the extent of his injuries.

“He will be okay Twilight. We just need to get the crystal out then bind all his wounds.” Fluttershy said, laying a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. Applejack dropped a heavy set of saddlebags next to them and started passing out long rolls of clean cloth.

“Okay Fluttershy, what do you need us to do to help Spike?” She asked. Fluttershy thought for a moment, then set them to work.

Soon after they began, more ponies started trickling in. “Pinkie sent us.” They all said when asked and quickly started helping. With all the help, they soon had Spike patched up, his blood coloring the bandages a deep red. Once Cadence and Shining arrived, they directed everypony in moving Spike from the edges of the Empire to the castle, where he could rest safely among friends.

* * * * * * * * *

Spike woke late in the morning. He grumbled awake, and would’ve tried to stay asleep had he not heard surprised gasps. He twisted towards them and his eyes went wide at the sight of the Crystal Empire. They went wider a moment later as the pain hit him.

He dropped to the ground. After a moment to recover, he slowly raised up, and looked himself over. He was covered in bandages, and still supersized from greed. He took a moment, composed himself, and fought the greed down, it was much easier this morning than it had been the day before.

The bandages fell from his as he shrunk, revealing scabs across his body. He stared out them wide eyed until the voice of a foal pulled him out of his reverie, reminding him of what woke him in the first place.
“Mister dragon, are you gonna okay?” The crystal foal asked, coming as close as his parents dared to let him to the incredible shrinking dragon.

“Um, yeah I think so. Why?” Spike said as a crowd started to build.

“Cuz you were really hurt yesterday after… well you know.” The foal said, letting the end of his sentence die.

“After you fought Sombra!” Somepony in the crowd called out.

“You stalled him so they could find the heart!”

“A true hero!”

The crowd started calling out, recounting their own story of the day all at once. Spike was quickly overwhelmed as the ponies started crowding him, any fear they felt broken by the joy of their victory. Just as Spike though he was going to drown in a crowd, a voice cut through it all.

“SPIKE! You're awake!” Twilight called out from castle door. She teleported to him and pulled him into a crushing hug.

“OW! OW! OW!” Spike groaned as the hug pulled at his wounds.

“Oops! Sorry, I’m sorry!” Twilight said as she broke the hug. “I’m just… I’m so happy to see you up. Do you have any idea how much you put me through?! Don’t ever do that again!”

“Do what? Make sure everyone gets through the shield and keep the villain busy so you can find the one way to defeat them once and for all?” Spike asked, a dopey grin settling on his face.

“One, not everyone made it through the shield, you were still on the outside.” Twilight said sternly. Then as tears welled in her eyes, she pulled him into another, gentler hug. “You could have died Spike. Really died. Do you have any idea what that was like, knowing you were out there all on your own? Did you even think about what would happen if I didn’t have my number one assistant?”

Spike returned the hug, ignoring the sniffles and ‘awws’ coming from the crowd around them. “I will always be right where you need me most Twilight, even if you don’t know it.” He whispered in her ear.

The rest of the day passed quickly. Fluttershy doted over him. Rainbow and Pinkie pestered him for the story of what happened outside the shield. The others never said anything but they listened closely to every word he chose to share. Rarity was always in the same room as Spike throughout the day, while Applejack took over the kitchens surfacing to distribute her goods and take small breaks as her cooking allowed.

* * * * * * * * *

Shortly before they left to catch the train home, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor made a speech thanking the girls and Spike for their aid and pledging a brighter tomorrow for the Crystal Ponies.

The trip home began uneventfully enough, everyone relaxing, dosing, some idle chatting as the train speed into the evening light. Eventually everyone made their way to the sleeping cars, Spike in one and the girls in another for a good night’s rest before they reached Canterlot.

Under the moon’s pale light, the door the Spike’s car opened and closed quickly. A shadowy figure moving through the edges of the light spilling through the cracks of the shade. Spike was snoring lightly as the figure approached, pushing him lightly with a hoof. Spike stirred quietly, moving over carefully to create room next to him in the bed.

“Thank you.” The figure whispered sliding in next to him and resting her head on his shoulder as he looked back at her. He had changed so much since he left them during the migration. Gone was the chubby, clumsy, but ever so helpful foal size dragon. In his place had returned a massive drake that drove monsters from before it to defend her and his other friends. That had only been a temporary skin though, and after that horrifying day…

After that he had proven to be the same helpful, loyal, honest, gentlecolt, er, gentledrake that he had always been, but packaged in a much matured body. In place of body fat, powerful muscle rippled under his scales. His soft features had sharpened to a fine point. He was very much a predator, scary in a way, but a good way. He was exciting to be around in a way he lacked before.

She wasn’t sure how to feel about it at first. When she had sung that ridiculous song at Drake’s bequest she had expected it to be nothing, but a thank you. A way to humor Drake before leaving the whole thing behind. Yet the end had stung her. She found she was expecting a kiss from Spike, but he had run away.

Several days later Spike had came and explained himself, laying himself out before her. Telling her everything she already knew, and some new things that quite surprised her to hear. If Rainbow had been a little earlier who knows what she would have heard. Instead she arrived after they had talked it over and settled on which course seemed best at the time.

While nothing official between them yet, just a guarantee of a date on Thursdays, provided neither of them was too busy, and she made sure her Thursdays were always clear, a relationships was blooming. A real relationship.

“How are you feeling?” She whispered softly, producing a gentle light with her blue magic and shining it over his wounds.

“Hurts, but not badly. I’ll heal pretty quickly. This isn’t close to as bad as when a golem dislocated my shoulder.” Spike said stretching a wing over her when she pulled on it lightly with her magic. She wiggled closer to him, enjoying the heat rising from his body.

“Not that I am complaining, but why… what… I mean…”

“Just spit it out Spike.”

“Rarity, why are you here tonight? I love that you are, don’t get me wrong, but we agreed to take it slow, see if something would develop between us now that I’ve matured, in a lot of ways. Yet, here you are in my bed, snuggled against me.” Spike said softly, looking her in the eye.

“Is there something wrong about snuggling against you. I can leave if it makes you uncomfortable.” Rarity teased, giggling to herself at the look on Spike’s face. “I’m only teasing.”

Rarity looked off in the distance for a minute, collecting her thoughts. “Spike, when you were trapped outside the shield, Twilight wanted to go back for you. Everyone else argued that we had to press forward, to find a way to defeat Sombra. I wanted to follow her. Watching you fight from the castle I was terrified. Not by you, but by what was happening to you.”

“When you fell I was terrified. When you didn’t immediately come flying into the city after the battle that feeling grew worse. You have become the most important dragon in my life.” Rarity said fixing her eyes on Spike.

“Well I hope so. I wasn’t aware there were many others dragons in your life.” Spike said.

“Seriously though, we have been dating for over a month now. A year ago I would have thought it impossible, but now. Now the last thing I want is to lose you. I think I might be falling in love with you.” She said wiggling closer to him. She circled his arm with her forelegs and hugged tightly.

Spike sat stunned for a moment, trying to think of a reply. His jaw moved by no sound came out. He realized that the moment wasn’t right for words, leaned over, and pulled her into a kiss. A real kiss. A kiss like he had always dreamed. That night, dreams came true.

* * * * * * * * *

Twilight sighed one last time and she prepared to enter the Hall of the Elements. The past few days had been terrifying, hectic, and busy, but despite all that one thing stood out. She had failed. For the first time in her life, Twilight Sparkle, unicorn, princess protégé, and Element of Magic, failed a test. She really wasn’t looking forward to what was coming next.

Her friends were gathered outside, there to provide support, but also aware that this was her burden to bear. She steeled herself and push forward. The door swung open easily, completely ignoring the weight of the moment. She walked through the foyer and down the hall to where Princess Celestia was waiting. One more set of doors and there she was.

The stained glass windows showed the her and her friends triumphs. Princess Celestia was standing in front of one and called her over.

“Twilight, come here and tell me what you see?” Princess Celestia said without turning. Twilight trudged over with her head hung low. She peeked up at the glass and saw a window she hadn’t seen before.

In the foreground Pinkie Pie stood out, the heart in the grasp as a small Cadence and Sombra both flew towards her. Behind them on one side was the castle shining brightly against the darkness that dominated Sombra’s smaller side of the image. At the very back was Spike, huge, with wings spread, facing towards Sombra with an angry snarl. At the base of the image the Crystal ponies were caught between the two sides, watching raptly to see the end.

“What do you think?” Princess Celestia asked.

“It is very different from the others.” Twilight replied. Princess Celestia said nothing, letting the silence drag. Twilight decided to keep speaking. “Princess, I have no excuse. I failed your test. I wasn’t able to save the Empire myself. From the moment we got there I had others helping me. In the end I was trapped and someone else had to reclaim the Crystal Heart while all I did was watch helplessly.”

Twilight looked up, ready by fearing the Princess’s response. Instead of a disappointed frown or disapproving scowl she was greeted with a warm smile.

“Indeed you failed. What did you learn from that failure?” Princess Celestia asked. Twilight thought silently. She started to speak a few times, rising a hoof, only to stop and go back to thinking. Finally, she formed and answer.

“I learned there are some things I can’t do on my own, and that even when I fail others might succeed?” Twilight ventured, uncertainly.

“That is quite right. While you may have failed, you also succeeded. The Empire is freed from Sombra’s grasp and the magic of the heart now spreads across Equestria and beyond. I am proud of you Twilight.” Princess Celestia said drawing her student into a hug. “Now I am afraid the duties of my position demand my attention. Go and enjoy the day with your friends. Somepony will meet you at the gates with your tickets for the evening train to Ponyville.”

Twilight returned the hug in a happy release of her worries and fear. A feeling of safety and certainty filled her in Princess Celestia embrace. “Thank you Princess.” She said ending the hug. Moments later she was out the door and off to join her friends. Princess Celestia was certain she heard singing starting as Twilight left.

Author's Note:

Next chapter we return to Drake and Forum.

Thanks to Alphamaxis my editor. And thanks to everyone that comments, likes, and/or favorites the story.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 20 )

Cant wait for the rest! 👍

"Another chapter NO WAY!"
-Full Moon Tonight

8480490
The fallen are members of the race that betrayed the others and thus have been banished and there existence rather secret similar to the fallen from the dark angels lore in a multitude of ways

8485424
~Kinda. More like they steadily displayed the races they are twisted versions of until a way was found to stop it. Now they rule the lands their predecessors ruled.

That night, dreams came true.

Hmmmm

Just got caught up great show sir

Just caught up, it was amazing! can't wait for more!!

8994201
Don’t ask me either, I forgot why I posted that a long time ago.

Hey look i caught up wow

Now i can get back to what i was reading before i got distraced with this
dam u adhd

I had the opportunity to re-listen to this story, and I have to say that it still has great reread value. I like that Drake isn't dumb as a box of rocks, like many HIE stories tend to make their protagonists. This fact was really driven home to me this weekend when I tried listening to three or four different new finds from this site. I spent the majority of my time banging my head on my desk muttering; "You dense, DENSE, motherfucker." under my breath as the stupidity in those stories unfolded. Lets just say, I didn't get far through most of them before "Shit shooting" them into my Macs trash can.

Its nice to find someone who can write characters of reasonable intelligence. While this isn't on par with ,Dans Comments Pen Stroke, or Reykan, this is still really well done and i think it deserves to be continued. I have to agree with Wlam about the early and quite pointless murder, but every story has its stumbles. Especially early on before the writer has a firm grasp on where he wants to take the story.

So is there any chance of seeing this continue, or should I just label its Audio Book as complete?


The Monk

9191163

So, right now I am kinda stuck on how to move forward and letting the story sit. Currently, I am working on a Harry Potter Project while I try to become a better writer. https://www.fanfiction.net/story/story_edit_property.php?storyid=12855468 if you are interested. It updates roughly every two weeks, though the next chapter is going to be a bit delayed because it is going to be a long one.

I intend to continue this, but don't know when that will happen. Maybe I will take another look this weekend...

That said, what is this about an audio book?

9191364

I rather like Potter, Ill give it a listen during the next "lull in updates". Ive been following two good Potter/fim cross overs that you might find interesting. I know yours isn't a cross over, but I thought I would share, if your interested.

If Wishes were Ponies . . . .by tkepner

Magic School Days by Dogger807

Both are well worth the time.

The Monk

9345402
That is an author's note. Entry one is covered by the previous chapters and I didn't want to rehash it all.

Loved reading this can't wait for more
Ps based on the way everyone reacts to dragons I can only assume Drake's interaction with the juvenile dragons was a life/death situation seems dragon social rules are brutal.
Love to find out how Dragons become part of his kingdom since their even a part of his guard how did he take such a unruly group

2017 is last update.
Another legendary story has started to fade into obscurity....

This on hiatus, forgot to check the update times and now I’m realizing I just started a story that may never finish, darn

9828738
Well the writer is still on but he stopped his story

10822756
yeah i couldn't get past chapter 4 myself

Does this story involve ruling a nation?

11208852
Yes. After a fashion.

*sighs* another story for the RIP shelf...it was an awesome story too...

Login or register to comment