• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,341 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,341

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21: Bastion's Night

Chapter 21: Bastion’s Night

“The longest way must have its close - the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning.”
― Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin

Flam awoke in a windowless room lit by the soft glow of a single magic lamp that hung on the wall. He sat up with a groan, feeling sore all over, particularly his hindquarters and rear hooves. Slowly taking stock of himself and his surroundings, Flam found that his horn had a fresh dressing, and red stained wrapping covered his back legs. Flam saw only one door, a strong looking metal construction with no knobs or handles. Forcing himself to his hooves, Flam limped over to the door confirming he had no way to open it. The cold claws of fear began to creep up on Flam, until he remembered the ponies that had come to his rescue. They probably just wanted to make sure he couldn’t run away before they talked to him.

“Hello, is there anyone there?” Flam called out knocking on the door. After he knocked Flam pressed his ear to the door, hoping to hear some kind of response.

“ Tell the Princess and the General that one of the unicorns is awake..” A commanding male voice said just barely audible through the door. Without warning a small slit in the door opened allowing the guard to speak to Flam.

“Unicorn, back away from the door and wait on the bed. Some ponies that wish to speak with you will be here soon.” The guard said before slamming the slit shut. Deciding he didn’t have much choice in the matter, Flam limped back to the bed and waited for those ponies to come for him. He pondered as to who it would be that came for him. The guard had mentioned a general and princess, but based on what Drake had told him the princess was in Canterlot. So that just left the general. What would she be like?

The sound of a key in the lock and metal scraping lightly across stone brought Flam out of his thoughts. Composing himself, Flam stood so the bed was between him and the door. The pony standing in the door was the last one he expected to see.

“Greeting stallion, wouldst thou tell us thy name and purpose? Lest I be forced to extract it from thee forcefully.” Princess Luna said in a tone as cold as the dark side of the moon. Her magic casting a dark halo about her, adding to her already powerful presences.

“Prin- Princess Luna.” Flam stammered as he took a step back. He had completely forgotten that she existed, something he was sure she wouldn’t appreciate. He continued to stammer and mumble, the poor hamster in his mind had suffered a heart attack and died.

“That is my name. Now reveal thy own identity!” Luna commanded, preparing to rip into his mind if he did not speak. Being besieged by avian rapists will put anyone on edge, especially when something unexpected adds another variable into the mix.

“I- I’m- I’m Flam.” He stuttered, backing himself into the corner as Luna rounded the bed and starting lowering her horn towards his head. The swirling vortex of energy causing him to cower even more.

“And thou purpose in the Wildlands? Or thy reason for returning now when we are under siege?” Luna asked as the aura she was projecting softened slightly, and her magic dissipated harmlessly.

“Me and my brother were traveling with a dragon, we are going back to pick up some new supplies.” Flam answered becoming completely calm, his fear having gone and acceptance washing over him.

Luna took a step back giving Flam space as he spoke. She was genuinely surprised. Ponies traveling into the Wildlands was rare. Ponies traveling with dragons was rarer. Ponies traveling with dragons in the Wildlands was completely unheard of. It caught her off guard.

“Why wouldst a pair of unicorns travel the Wildlands with a dragon, when the dragons have migrated out of this part of the Wildlands?” Luna asked giving Flam more room. As Luna stepped back Flam notices a unicorn mare with a cross spears cutie mark wearing Night Guard armor in the doorway.

“Yes, I find it very interesting that anypony would leave Equestria for the Wildland on their own, much less following a dragon.” The mare said. Flam glanced at the mare for a moment, long enough to see the fatigue etched on her features, before turning his focus back to Princess Luna.

“For reasons that are our own. Sufficient to say, he saved our lives and has done more for us than most ponies. Now, can I see my brother?” Flam answered doing his best to keep his voice calm, the fear returning now that he wasn’t about to be probed.

“No. He is still in the medical ward. He has not awoken since we brought you in.” The mare answered.

“Figures,” Flam muttered. “He was awake for five days straight powering our vehicle since I couldn’t.” Flam said tapping his bandaged horn.

“Five days without sleep, constantly burning magic, and with no training. Well, color me impressed.” The mare said earning a sharp glance from Luna.

“While such a feat is impressive General Hoplite, I hardly think tis proper to admire rogues.” Princess Luna said.

“Whoa! We aren’t rogues.” Flam protested they were inventors, entrepreneurs! Certainly not rogues.

“Really, and how wouldst thou define a shaggy scarred pair of stallions that travel the Wildlands in a strange contraption, keep company with dragons, and avoid saying what activities they are engaged in?” Luna asked raising an eyebrow and staring at Flam.

“Er- Um- Ah-“ Flam stammered.

“That’s what I thought. General, unless there was anything specific thou wanted to ask our guest, I suggest having someone take him to the mess hall.”

“Just one. How was your horn injured? And would you like us to heal it?” General Hoplite asked pointing at the extremity in question.

“It was injured attempting to scry something I am looking for, and why would you offer to heal it?” Flam said answering the question with a question.

“Not much of an answer, but as to why; well if you hadn’t noticed, we are under siege and need every pony we can get to help fight the harpies that are attacking. Princess Luna can maintain the Night Shield indefinitely, but keeping the fortress light and warm is wearing out my casters. Casters I would rather use to fight the harpies directly when next they attempt to assault us. If you have half the stamina you claim you brother has then we can throw you in the rotation.” General Hoplite explained.

“Very well. Who am I to turn down such an offer? My life is on the line as much as the next pony’s.” Flam said earning a nod from General Hoplite.

“Then thou shall eat whilst the medics prepare the reagents needs for a horn healing spell. Know, that should thou seek to betray us, a horrible fate shall await thee.” Princess Luna said turning and walking out of the room with General Hoplite following closely.

“Sergeant Buckler, take this unicorn to the mess, then over to the operation room.” General Hoplite said to the guard at the door as she disappeared from view.

“Come on then, let’s get you something to eat.” Sergeant Buckler said as he glanced into the room and motioned for Flam to follow him. Flam left the room, noting that Sergeant Buckler was a pegasus, and followed him down the hallway. As they were turned down another hallway, Flam noticed some familiar characters etched into the wall.

“Hold on a second.” Flam said taking a closer look at the characters. “Sergeant, who built this fortress?”

“No clue, you would have to ask the General or Princess. I have heard that it’s been here for a very long time. No one knows what the characters are and honestly no one really cares. Now, let’s get you to the mess hall already.” Sergeant Buckler said, rolling his eyes.

“That’s just it, I do understand these characters.” Flam said.

“What? How?”

“Where I have been staying while in the Wildlands, it had these, I learned how to read them. They are typically used in enchantments. I wonder…” Flam replied before whirling around to face Sergeant Buckler.

“I need to check my vehicle, there may be something in there that I need.”

“No. You eat, you get your magic back, then, if you can talk somepony else into it, you can go to your vehicle. Until then, you will do what I say.” Sergeant Buckler said angrily, flaring his wings to block the hallway.

“Fine. Lead the way” Flam conceded, the growl from his stomach reminding him that it had been a while since he last ate.

“Good, now come on.” Sergeant Buckler said, directing Flam down the hallway towards the mess hall.

Flam and Sergeant Buckler reached the mess hall and each grabbed a plate of hay, oats, and half an apple. Although some of the guards looked up at them, none said anything. Flam noted that overall they seemed tired and worn down, evenly mixed between Night and Day Guards. They ate quickly, Flam because he wanted to get out of the mess hall, and Buckler because he wanted to be done guarding Flam. Placing their dirty plates in a bin to be cleaned, they headed for the fortress’ medical ward where they met Captain Hacksaw.

Once there Captain Hacksaw was busy looking over a unicorn guard. Flam waited silently as Sergeant Buckler tapped Captain Hacksaw on the shoulder, getting his attention.

“Excellent, you must be Flam.” Captain Hacksaw said, as he turned away from the exhausted unicorn on the bed in front of him. “Sergeant, General Hoplite asked that you remain here and bring Flam to her once the procedure is over”

“Yes sir.” Sergeant Buckler said, suppressing a groan and taking a seat near the door. Never stand when you can sit as the old adage goes. Captain Hacksaw lead Flam deeper into the medical ward, asking questions about his medical history, typical magic usage and power, and innumerable other questions relating to the surgery. Once Flam had answered all the questions, they entered a large circular room with an operating table in the center.

“Umm Doc, just how complex is this procedure going to be?” Flam asked when he saw the layout of the operation room. Next to the bed were several metal stands filled with bubbling fluids and strange tools.

“Fairly simple, but because of the general’s the desire to have you able to cast ASAP we are doing it in the operating room. For some unexplained reason it seems to amplify healing magic, and even non-magical procedures seem to go better when performed in this room” Captain Hacksaw explained as he checked over the equipment and passed a clipboard with Flam’s information to the nurse.

“It amplifies magic?” Flam asked, taking a closer look at the room.

“Only healing magic but yes. Now if you would please get on the table we will begin.” Captain Hacksaw said before directing the nurses to prepare for the procedure. Flam walked to the table noting that the camber was eerily similar to the one he broke his horn in, with many rune carved into the wall or ceiling that matched or were similar to those found in the Library. Once Flam as laying on the table, a nurse cast a sleep spell allowing him to sleep through the otherwise painful, if simple, procedure.

* * * * * * * * * * *

An hour later Flam awoke to find Sergeant Buckler standing at the foot of his bed.

“Once... Just once, I would like to wake up in my own bed, after falling asleep on my own terms.” Flam said getting out of the bed.

“Quit your bellyachin’.” Sergeant Buckler said angrily.

“What crawled up your-“

“The harpies launched another attack, despite the losses they take every time they try. Only this time we are almost out of unicorns strong enough to maintain the spells needed to keep this fortress warm and lit. That means we have far fewer that can fight them leaving us shorthooved on the defenses.” Sergeant Buckler said cutting Flam off. Flam as about to respond to the irate sergeant when the sound some a pony waking caught them both off guard.

“Sweet Sunspots! I am hungry” Flim groaned rising from his slumber in the bed next to Flam’s. “Oh hey Flam, what’s up?”

“Oh not much, met a princess, met the general, we got saved by the guards at Fort Bastion, from what I’ve seen it’s was built by the you know what, and now the guard general wants to put me to work maintaining some spells while harpies attack.” Flam said matter-of-factly. Flim looked at Flam for a moment then facehooved when he noticed the shit eating grin Flam was wearing.

“Well in that case, see you when this is all over. Have fun with your new friend.” Flim said walking off. The advantage of knowing somepony as well as the two brothers knew one another as that you can understand what they are thinking even when they don’t say it out loud. Flam had told him a lot, some of it more important than the rest. If everything worked right they would make an important discovery and maybe more.

“He can’t walk around unescorted.” Sergeant Buckler said moving to stop Flim.

“Well then I guess you won’t be escorting me to the command center or wherever General Hoplite is.” Flam said going in the other direction. Sergeant Buckler looked between the twins for a moment before groaning and heading after Flam.

“Fine, but if he cause trouble or gets in the way his fate will be his own.” Sergeant Buckler said leading Flam to where the General was waiting.

Flim chuckled as he heard Buckler’s frustrations. Following his nose, and driven by his rumbling stomach, Flim soon found the mess hall. The hall was deserted the guardsponies having left to defend against the most recent attack. Scrounging around he put together a decent meal and chowed down. Once he was full he headed to the SST 9000. Back in Forum, while Flam was asleep and he was checking over the SST 9000, Epistaties had come by and given him a small case. The old minotaur suspected they might encounter ruins during their travel. If they did that kit would let them reactivate the ruin awakening the enchantments placed onto the stonework of the Empire’s cities and outposts.

Epistaties hoped that something in the ruins might be able to provide information about what happened after his own encounter with Discord and also restore some of the Empire. Flim had scoffed at the restoration hopes but did see the advantage of any knowledge and potential new resources that might come from reactivating a ruin. In this case, if the fortress truly was a ruin as his brother suspected then it might have a way to help fight the harpies. There was just one problem staring him in the face at the moment. The SST 9000 was sitting a courtyard and all in the sky swooping about were harpies.

Hmm. Flim thought staring out into the yard. All around him, Flim could see guards on the walls, in towers and elsewhere about the fortress wielding spears and singling spells. In the air pegasi clashed with the harpies as they swooped. Now how am I going to get from here to there?

Rather than try to puzzle a probable solution Flim shrugged and ran for the SST 9000. He made it unimpeded to the SST 9000 and closed the hatch behind himself as he slid in. After a few moments searching, through the various piles of previously arranged cargo that was now stattered all about, Flim found the small case he had been looking for. He opened it breathing a sigh of relief when he confirmed its contents were unbroken. The vial of dragon’s blood, pen, and instructions seemed the same as when he received it. Flim pocketed the case in a pair of saddle backs he had grabbed buckling them shut.

Now just to get back. Flim thought watching the battle through the windshield. On the battlements a unicorn was grabbed by a pair of harpies. As it was being carried away pair of pegasi attacked the harpy saving the unicorn. The harpy, unhappy about losing its prize, slashed at the pegasi landing its claws on one tearing out flesh and feathers. The wounded pegasus fell to the ground near the SST 9000. Flim watched as she tried to stand, but the harpies had slashed the wing to the bone breaking it in several places. Addled by pain and shock, the pegasus stumbled to her feet for a moment before collapsing.

Flim rushed out to save the mare driven by instincts more powerful than his common sense. He lifted her quickly, yet gently, onto his back and started running to the safety of a doorway. Suddenly, he was tumbling across the ground, the mare flying from his back when something slammed into him from his blind side. Turning to face his attacked, Flim came face to face with a vicious grinning harpy about to bring its claws down on him. Flim reacted on instinct and cast the same spell he had cast endless for the last five days on end. The harpy clutched its chest as its heart began beating at impossible speed. As Flim continued casting the monsters heart began tearing itself apart. As the harpy’s corpse collapsed to the ground Flim threw the unconscious mare back over his back and made for the safety of the fortress’ buildings.

Leaving the mare against the doorway Flim walked down the hallways. Here and there he saw the minotaur runes marking the walls some he ignored, but others he followed deeper and deeper into the fortress. Here and there another pony rushed past ignoring him. At last he began the hear voices.

“Tower 3 was overwhelmed, the guards were abducted or knocked out of the tower.”

“Send medics for the injured and get new guards in that tower already.”

“The pegasi are suffering heavy losses, none dead yet, but almost the entire wing has been injured.”

“Dammit, I hate to give up the air but we might need them later. Pull them in!”

“Ma’am Captain Pole-arm says his ponies can’t stay on the walls any longer and is pulling back inside.”

“What!”

“He says he won’t let another of his troops become rape toys for those voracious harlots and that if you don’t like that you need to come and lead from the front.”

“I’ll court martial him.”

“Now is not the time general”

“Princess if we give the walls then the harpies will be able to start tearing this fortress apart without worry. “

“For the moment it seems we are outmatched. Now is the time to regroup and rethink. Besides there is somepony standing at the door.”

Flim gulped as all eyes turned to him. Inside the room he had been heading towards was Princess Luna, a unicorn stallion with a strange device on his head, and an armored mare with a clear air of command about her. “What are you doing here, I thought I just put you on light duty.” The mare barked slamming a hoof down.

“That was probably my brother.” Flim said entering the room. Since they had seen him he decided to set about his self-appointed task. He set the kit down on the table in the center of the room doing his best to appear nonchalant. “By the way there is a mare with a broken wing sitting near a doorway.”

General Hoplite was about to blow a gasket when she felt Luna’s hoof on her shoulder. When Hoplite looked up Luna said, “General have your troops seal off all entrances and turtle down until we are ready to strike back. I will deal with our friend here.”

Flim winced when he here Luna say friend, her voice cold as the air outside the fortress. Rather than look up he read through the instruction and opened the vial of blood. The runes had lead him to this room, and while standing outside he had seen why.

While the guard had moved in some furniture and equipment of their own a number of consoles like those Epistaties had used were set into the walls. Likewise there was a raised stone table in the middle of the room that looked reminiscent of the desk Epistaties had been found out.

“Tell me what exactly are you doing here my little pony.” Luna commanded looming over Flim.

“A favor for a friend that might help us all your majesty.” Flim replied the pen in his magic shaking as he tried to dip in in the vial of blood.

“Is this friend the dragon thee and thy brother are working with?”

“Yes and no. It is someone we, us and the dragon, met, and not my place to say. What I will say is, as I am sure you are aware, this fort wasn’t built by ponies. We met someone that is connected to those that did build the fort. In some ways their enchanting was very advanced and their magical energy storage was the stuff of fiction.” Flim said as he began to write on the stone floor the blood working its way into the stone.

“And just what does blood and strange… wait those are the same runes that cover this fortress.” Luna said resisting the urge to gasp.

“Indeed.” Flim said as he finished the last letter. Suddenly the blood began to glow followed by the runes. Rippling out from where Flim had writing the words, as Epistaties’ instructions outlined, every rune in the fortress began to glow. Suddenly, the consoles sprang to life, and in the center of the circle of stone tables a new console rose from the ground runes glowing in the air before it.

They read, “Fortress Bastion online. Enemies Detected. Would the commander of the garrison please provide a blood sample to activate avatar.”

“What the buck?” General Hoplite asked panting as she ran back into the room.

“Yes, what hast happened and what dost the runes say?” Princess Luna asked her tone caught between angry and curious.

“I suppose I can say this, but if you do meet Drake act like it’s all new information if he does tell you about it. If he doesn’t then please don’t bring it up. Anyway, this fortress was part of an empire that rules most of the continent, Equestria included. During a war with Discord it collapsed, this fortress was disconnected from the web of enchantments that helped hold the empire together. I just reconnected it.” Flim said walking toward the console. On it he saw a pair of indentations that looked large enough for the front limbs of any creature shy of a dragon to fit in them. With a shrug and before anypony could stop him Flim placed his hoofs in them, and screamed as a pair of needle came up and pieced his hooves. A moment later they returned to the stone and the rune color changed from sickly red to a bright white.

“Welcome commander. Empire Race confirmed. Recalling avatar.”

The console slid back into the ground as a rounded crystal rolled out from the ceiling. It began to glow before the light resolved itself into the form of the scarred form of zebra stallion. “I am Bastion, former commander of the Desert Lightning and now the avatar of this fortress. How may I serve you?” The floating head asked.

All the ponies in the room stood shocked. Luna was the first to recover, her time spent fighting Discord helping her handle the unexpected better than most. “This fortress is under attack by harpies, is there anything you can do drive them off, or at this least protect my soldiers.”

“I asked the pony in command, the one stands before me,” Bastion said with a nod to Flim, “who are you to presume to speak over him?”

“She is a Princess of Equestria, the Maiden of the Moon, Princess Luna.” General Hoplite said venomously glaring at the head and at Flim.

“Then why was your blood not used to awaken me?”

“Look, Bastion an incredibly long time has passed since you were last awake. Easily over 1000 years. I would be happy to explain everything to you but for now is there a way to repel the harpies?” Flim said noticing rage building on General Hoplite’s face.

“Hmm…” Bastion said filtering through the various enchantments carved into the fortress. After a moment he smiled. “Yes. Yes there is.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

Flam was not a happy pony. As soon as Sergeant Buckler had brought him to the command center he had been taught the spell and shoved into the enclosed tower at the center of the fortress. From his vantage point Flam was able to see everything that happened as the harpies attacked included Flim’s short fight. Regardless of what he saw Flam stayed in the tower and kept the spell alive. It had been made crystal clear to him what would happen if he were to stop casting.
While Flam continued casting and being an unhappy pony, his magical energy draining slowly, the fortress flashed brightly blinding him. Once his sight cleared, he noticed that the dirt, grass, and shrubs growing in the unused parts of the fortress were starting to fall away revealing parts of the fortress lost to time.

As Flam watched the changes in awe, a large crystals rose out of the towers dotting the fortress wall. Once the crystals were fully deployed, lances of magic shot out of them targeting the harpies. The struck harpies fell to the ground unmoving. Flam’s awe slowly turned to horror as lance after lance of magic streaked through the sky swatting harpies from the sky.

Rather than withdraw the harpies continued to attack throwing wave after wave at the towers and entryways the guardponies had sealed. Bile rose in his throat as the dead started to pile up around the towers. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, it ceased. The skies cleared, nothing remaining but the oppressive darkness surrounding the fortress. On the ground lay the unmoving corpses of hundreds of harpies. Flam jumped when the door in the floor banged open.

“Flam, return to the command center. The general says you can stop casting the light spell.” A unicorn stallion said poking his head up into the tower.

“I- I’ll be right down,” Flam said tearing his eyes away from the carnage. He climbed down the tower shakily and went to the command room where he saw Princess Luna, General Hoplite, and Flim talking with a floating zebra head.

“Anyone care to explain what I just saw out there!” Flam demanded drawing everypony’s attention.

“The harpies were repelled and I have taken over the defensive measures you were casting.” Bastion said warmly a smile on his face. “It is unlikely the fortress will be able to perform such operations again anytime soon though. The energy storage is now nearly drained. Without sunlight or an exceptionally strong breeze the fortress’ batteries will be completely drained in two days.”

“You are to blame for the piles of dead harpies littering the yard, for the lances of energy that swatted them from the sky?” Flam asked angrily the horror of what he witnessed affecting his emotions.

“Piles!?” Everypony yelled in shocked horror.

“I defended the fortresses against the fallen in accordance with my orders as is my duty as the avatar of this fortress. Even more so since I have retained my identity.” Bastion said without remorse under the angry eyes of those in the room.
Flim spoke choosing his words with care realizing that whatever was asked next would either calm things down or throw fuel on the angry and fear building in the room. “Bastion, since the harpies have been driven off why don’t you tell us how you came to be here in your current state?”

“Yes, perhaps that would be for the best. Get comfortable this is going to take some time. I was born…

* * * * * * * * * * *

Eight days later in the city of Manehatten.

Novelty Calendar was… Well to say she was is fairly accurate. She wasn’t’ happy. She wasn’t sad. She wasn’t content, but there were no great ambitions driving her. She was single but dated often. Her life was about as standard as could be. Her job was perhaps the strangest bit about her and even that was fairly ordinary. She was a secretary, it was her employer that made it strange. The pale yellow earth pony mare with the calendar cutie mark, worked for the top motivational speakers in Equestria. He was loud, commanding, strong willed, and constantly changing his schedule with seemingly no rhyme or reason based on which was his fancy flew. Today however the strangeness was to come from a matched set that wasn’t matched which was going to throw her world into Discords batting cage.

Novelty did not travel with her employer. Rather she remained in his Manehattan headquarters coordinating the travel plans and setting up meetings for those interested in having him come to their town, investing in the production, or who simply wanted to meet with him. That morning was slow for Novelty. She sat at her desk reading about the battle of Canterlot and the dragons that helped saved. Though she had read the stories many times she found herself fascinated by them, in particular the strange untamed lands the dragons spoke of. As she read Novelty heard a pair of voice drifting down to hallway towards her.

“Are you sure this is the right place brother?” One voice asked tiredly

“I sure Flam, the building directory had this floor marked as his. The elevator operator confirmed that this was his office when he wasn’t out on the road. Still hard to believe he is the heir we are looking for.” The unnamed brother answered.

Don’t start that again Flim, look we both know he’s full of hot air, but he’s the heir so we have to find him.” Flam rebuked.

As the brother came through the doorway Novelty got her first look at them. Their manes drew her attention first a mix of red and white that looked wild and unkempt. Next she noticed they were unicorns, but their horns dirty and one healing from a recent injury. When she reached their faces she nearly fell out of her chair. Flim who had opened the door had three long scars running down the right side of his face with one going across his eye which had lost its color and looked to be blinded. Flam on the other hoof had a large mustache connected to the start of a goatie as wild as his mane. She continued to take them in taking note of their worn and tattered travel cloaks, and her nose picked up a strong scent of sweat coming off them.

“Good day to you madam.” Flam said breaking Novelty from her trance. “We have traveled a long way to meet with Mr. Iron Will to discuss some very important business. Do you know where we might find him?”

Novelty gaped for a moment before shaking herself back to reality. “Um... What kind of business do you have with him?” She asked as Flim began to look around the office.

“I am afraid that it is a personal matter that he is possibly not aware of himself,” Flam responded smoothly placing his leg on the desk trying to appear disarming.

Instead Novelty noticed scars in the shape of a jaw where fur should have been. Scared as to just what this strange wild ponies wanted with her boss she decided to try and stall for time. “Well you see he is on tour right now and-”

“Hey Flam look at this,” Flim interrupted having finished looking at the wall and moved to the desk. “It’s about Drake and Spike. Looks like the press got some interviews out of them.” Novelty shivered involuntarily. If these two knew those dragons then they weren’t normal ponies. Normal ponies didn’t interact with dragons that could take on whole armies of invading monsters. Sure the dragons had helped ponies instead of attacking them, and yes one of the dragons had apparently been raise under the guidance of the Princess and her student but that still didn’t make them safe.

“You two know those dragons?” Novelty asked warily.

“Yeah. Drake, the blue one, saved us from a hydra. Then he asked us to follow him out into the Wildlands. You can read most the rest of the story here it seems like.” Flam said tapping the column with the interview. Novelty squinted at the unicorns in front of her, not sure she believed them. Sure the interview mentioned he had met some Equestrians and brought them with him, but anyone could have read that interview.

“So can you tell us where Iron Will is?” Flim asked

“Maybe, what proof do you have of what you say?” Novelty asked. Her life may not have been exceedingly interesting but she wasn’t about to lose her job because a pair of rugged roguish- wait where were those thoughts coming from. They looked like a pair of vagabonds not like the heroes in that one romances she read before bed. Not at all like the daring swashbuckling Swimbad. Their scars didn’t add an air of mystery to them in any way whatsoever, and that smell, that musty smell of stallion- Wait were they saying something?

“Madam?” Flam asked waving his foot in front of her face.

“Huh, wa-“

“Flim said that whether or not you believe us doesn’t changes the facts. We have been tasked to find Iron Will and take him to Drake. We came here hoping he would be at his office. Since you have told us he is on tour we will have to find him on the road. While you telling us where he is now will make so doing far easier if you won’t then we will have to find him on our own.” Flam explained giving Flim a signal to head for the door.

When Novelty said nothing Flam bid her a good day and went towards the door himself. Novelty sat there for a moment then glanced at the paper again. Before they had come in she had read in wondering what could be out there. What is would be like to live an interesting life. Then when somepony that had lived it came through the door she froze and met them with fear, suspicion and was that drool. Her life was in a rut, had been for years, now, she reluctantly admitted to herself. Here and now the universe had dropped a pair of handsome chances offering a way out into her lap.

Without another thought Novelty grabbed her planner book out of the desk which held everything about Iron Will’s schedule and travel plans. She ran after the brothers with a smile on her face. She wasn’t sure what would come of this. Usually she thought big decisions out and carefully weighed the pros and cons, but she’d rather be bucked to the moon than let this chance pass through her hooves. Who knows, it could even be fun.

Author's Note:

Well that is it for Flim and Flam for now. Thank you as always for everyone who has read, and is still reading Drake's Empire. A Special Thank you to Alfa and Ineffective for being my editors.

Bit of triva: I made you suffer the last two chapters just for that final scene that was written a long time ago.

Rewritten Chapter now have a * mark on them. I highly encourage you to read the rewritten Chapter 2 if you have not already.

As always feedback is greatly appriecated. Internet cookies to whoever can guess who has a mental breakdown in the next chapter.

PreviousChapters Next