• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,396 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,396

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Air Strike

Chapter 26: Air Strike

“If I didn’t have air supremacy, I wouldn’t be here.”
-General Dwight D. Eisenhower, June 1944

Rainbow had to admit, Drake moved pretty fast through the air. Not as fast as her, but still respectable for anypony that wasn’t Wonderbolt material. She’d been trailing him since he started his mad flight. At first she’d trailed him directly, but the turbulence caused by his wingbeats forced her to climb higher and slightly to one side.

At first it had been no problem to follow him, but after about fifteen minutes Rainbow began to pant. Between her workouts earlier that day and the late hour, Rainbow was feeling tired and sore. Something told her the coming morning was going to be a total drag. Still she pushed on, as it was quickly becoming a matter of pride.

After forty-five minutes, Drake paused for a moment looking around. Rainbow took a breather as he looked, glancing about herself. Off in the distance rose a trail of smoke from a dim light source. As Rainbow wondered if she should grab a raincloud, Drake took off towards the smoke. She scrambled to catch up, noting that he was going faster than before. He also looked a bit bigger than when this chase had started. Ten minutes later, Rainbow realized she should have brought the rain cloud. Fire licked at the forest around remains of a building.

She saw Drake unleash lightning on the ground. Taking a closer look, she saw Diamond Dogs surrounding a large vehicle with a trio of familiar looking unicorns. The vehicle itself seemed to be sinking into the ground. Rainbow watched in a mixture of fascination and horror, debating what she should do as the ponies fought the Diamond Dogs, sending magic down the different holes dotting the ground.

Drake roared after his first strafing run on the mutts, landing on his hind legs in the midst of the battlefield; his roar challenged any and all to test their metal against him. A moment later, the ground under him collapsed. The tunnels, having been dug with a reckless abandon, had left the ground incapable of supporting the weight of a raging dragon. The collapse left Drake buried up to his chest.

The dogs quickly swarmed out and over Drake. Rainbow watched as he fought with lightning, claw, tooth and tail. Her birds eye view lending a surreal feel to the entire battle, like something out of a book.

The vehicle sank deeper and deeper; its defenders calling out to Drake. One of them jumped down and ran to his aid. Before the brave pony could make it halfway, a Diamond Dog appeared underneath him snatching him. Despite his best struggles, he was pulled underground kicking and screaming.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Drake fought against the dogs. His bare arm taking the brunt of the damage, blood raining down where their spears bit at the unscaled flesh. He heard Flim and Flam calling out to him. Then out of the corner of his eye he saw Flam start running towards him. Without warning, a dog jumped up behind him.

Before Drake’s eyes, Flam was dragged down. With a renewed sense of anger and despair Drake loosed himself on the dogs. Unending lightning flew from his maw, striking dog after dog.

Once they began to retreat, he fired blast after blast down the tunnels hey could reach. Anything to strike one more mutt, anything to make they pay. After an unknown time his lightning gave out and the dogs were gone.

Drake’s greed receded and he slowly shrank down to this normal size. In place of his greed a deep despair assailed him. Pulling himself out of the pit, he limped over to the SST 9000, the pain of his wounds new and old adding to his torment.

“Flim, are you okay?” Drake asked as he approached.

“Flam, where is Flam? Did you get him back?” Flim said with a sob standing at the edge of the vehicle not trusting the ground. Drake looked at him a frown on his face. He nodding from side to side slowly.

“Dammit dragon! WHERE IS MY BROTHER!” Flim said, fierce anger lending a fire to his eyes.

“He’s gone Flim, the dogs got him.” Drake said. Flim grabbed at the debris laying around telekinetically flinging it at Drake.

“He’s not gone! We have to go after him!” Flim said, tears streaming down his face. Each throw grew weaker. “We have to,” he whispered collapsing into a heap on the top of the SST 9000. The night was silent except for the slow crackle of the fire and Flim’s sobs. The silence was broken when rain began to pour down on the fire extinguishing it and a blue Pegasus landed next to Drake.

“Woah! um… well, I want to say that was amazing but something tell me that would be a really uncool thing to say right now,” Rainbow said as she saw the scene she had stumbled into. Before Drake of Flim could speak up a third voice answered.

“You, what are you doing here! Trixie wants to know right now.”

“Trixie!” Drake and Rainbow said together. Before anyone else could speak up Novelty opened the hatch and came out to a series of very surprised looks.

“Um… Hello?”

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Thirty minutes and several introductions later Trixie, Rainbow, Novelty, and Drake had managed to sort everything out. With that hassle of the out of the way, Drake turned his attention to Flim.

“Flim, listen. We are going to get Flam back. If I have to hunt down every Diamond Dog to save him I will, but right now I need you to finish your mission,” Drake said sympathetically.

“You promise?” Flim asked speaking for the first time since he started crying.

“I promise. Hell I’ll Pinkie Promise,” Drake said, eliciting a questioning look from Rainbow Dash.

“Do it,” Flim said a bit of life returning to his eyes.

“I promise we will get Flam back, cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye,” Drake said. At that time, in an apartment above Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie felt the strangest premonition come on: someone had made a very important promise.

“How do you know that? Have you been spying on us?” Rainbow asked hovering in front of Drake.

“Yes, I have been spying on you. Watching every major event in Ponyville since Twilight moved there. It has nothing to do with spending several months with Spike. I mean, that would be crazy!” Drake said, smiling at Rainbows cowed expression.

“Point taken,” she said falling silent.

“Flim, can you still complete the mission?”

“Yeah, it will be tough, especial with only one unicorn to power the SST 9000,” Flim said.

“Well then, Ms Trixie would you like a job?”

“What kind of job are you offering Trixie?” she asked, she may have had her pride, but when an injured dragon comes in and saves your hide, the one of the same dragons that crashed the changeling invasion, well even she knew to show some respect.

“Help Flim on his mission. You will be compensated in a manner of your choosing once it is complete, and the package he is retrieving is deliver,” Drake said.

“Okay, but you should know Trixie doesn’t come cheap. Still, it’s better than a rock farm, way things are going that is where Trixie was heading next anyway,” she said, glaring at Rainbow when she snickered.

“Excellent. Novelty it has been a pleasure meeting you, do take care of these two, and if ever you desire to visit Forum you are more than welcome,” Drake said finding the star struck mare quite humorous. “Now I have to get back to Ponyville. To take care of some final business, let me know when you have the package. We will meet at Bastion and head home from there.”

As the last of the fire died, Rainbow having done an outstanding job of setting up the rainclouds before she landed, Drake and Rainbow took to the air as the SST 9000 set off down the road.

“So tell me Rainbow Dash, what did you think of what you just witnessed,” Drake asked as they soared back to Ponyville.

“Well the battle was kinda awesome all the lightning and the way you didn’t let any of the dogs get close to you. I actually like the Flim Flam brothers, because of them I managed to get cider this past season, so I mean it when I say I’m sorry you lost Flam. Rarity may have lucked out when she got kidnapped, but there are tales of others that go missing then turn up years later with horror stories of their time with the Diamond Dogs,” Rainbow said with a shiver. “I will say this though, I don’t like you, something about you seems off, but I can respect you. What you did tonight, injured like you are, to save your friends. I can respect that.”

“Well thank you. Though I am assuming you stayed high above the battle rather than getting a good look,” Drake said.

“Yeah, why?

“Because war is hell, and no one prays for peace more than a soldier,” Drake muttered before speaking up when Rainbow looked at him oddly. “I said because it was not very awesome from where I was standing. I have one question for you though.”

“Shoot.”

“Could you have saved him? I know you’re fast. The Fastest Pegasus Alive. Are you fas enough you could have saved Flam? Did you even think to try?” On that note, their conversation ended. Rainbow guided them back to Ponyville without another word, each lost in their own thoughts.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Here is the Febuary Chapter. Hope ya'll Enjoy. Warning it is not fully editted as one of my editors is out with a busted hand and cannot type.

That said thank you as always to Ineffective One and Alfamaxis for the work they put into this story and you dear reader for your Favorites, Likes and Comments.

Next chapter see what happens when a tired injured idiot says things that bring the universe down on him, the usage of a character with permission of his incredible creator, and more horrible attempts at writing dialogue for Zecora. :facehoof:

No seriously if anyone has advice, a link with a guide or wants a sneak peak at that bit and to help feel free to message me/comment/send a snail with mail. :twilightblush:

PreviousChapters Next