• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,414 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,414

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: It's Good to be the King

Chapter 32: It’s Good to be the King

"I am, indeed, a king, because I know how to rule myself."
-Pietro Aretino


“That’s it for our Wednesday class. Friday we’ll be meeting in the Grand Auditorium. Please make sure to plan accordingly. I will be present near the stage. When you arrive check in then find a seat. We will be having a very special guest lecturer. Before Friday, and I cannot stress how important this is, everyone needs to read both the next report and Blueblood’s next journal. In that order,” Bias said, ending the lecture on the benefits of restarting the universities as part of the 2nd Treaty of Ponyville, following a reading from one of those first students to cross the Wildlands with Prince Blueblood.

The students filed out of the room. Bias went up to his office to write a letter informing his guest that all was prepared as requested and to add a small request of his own.

* * * * * * * * *

Official Report to Princess Celestia
Prince Blueblood, Official Liaison
16, Flower’s Bloom 2 ARL

Subject: Changeling Friction

1) The purpose of this report is to pass on information regarding friction in the relationship between the surviving changelings and Drake.

2) This evening, we made for camp what should be the last time, sentries taking an extra careful watch. I went to speak with Drake, wanting to check on what to expect when we arrived at Forum. When I found him he was having a heated discussion with the changelings. I ducked behind a tent and listened closely. I have transcribed what I heard for your evaluation.

“I understand your concerns Brutus I really do, but she is the queen, regardless of her appearance, right? Doing all the things a newborn queen can or should be doing,” Drake said.

“Yes, the hive-link is centering on her and we can feel emotions from her being passed along it. So yes, she is our queen, at least until the end of this discussion,” Brutus said.
I believe the survivors are suggesting they are willing to kill the new queen because of her appearance and replace her with a different one.

“What do you want? I don’t know what happened or how,” Drake said, his lips drawing back to reveal his fangs.

“We want to know what you did to change our queen. You killed one, and now you twist the other!” I believe it was Mission that said this.

“I’ve told ya’ll my best guess. Until she develops more and starts speaking I don’t know what to tell you. She may, as the memories of previous queens come to her, be able to answer the question. Be patient. I know the loss of the eggs and Sybian has been rough, but just be patient a little longer.” Drake said softly.

The changelings were silent for a moment either whispering among themselves or thinking it over, I do not know which. Eventually, Scissor broke the silence.

“Okay, here’s how I see it. Having spent the most time around the conniving dragon before us, I say we trust him. You all know how he looked after he beat Chrysalis. You know how are he fought to get us. You should also know he fought just as hard to keep us out of Equestrian control.” Scissor said.

“Thank you Scissor.” Drake said. “I truly do want to make ya’ll a proud race capable of standing side by side with the others. The Diamond Dogs, maybe. The Harpies, never. Ya’ll for certain, if you work with me.”

At that point the Changelings seemed to accept the current state of their queen, but it was a slow acceptance, perhaps even a grudging one.

3) It is my belief that it will serve the Equestrian crown well to make friends with the Changelings. Therefore, we should seek to befriend them at any opportunity and offer them our aid and kindness. It may be possible to, through diplomacy, bring them willingly to our control. I know it shall be a difficult task so long as they remain with Drake, but I am here and shall begin. Please advise any future diplomats to be aware of this should you chose to pursue this policy.

Prince Vladimir Blueblood
Prince Vladimir Blueblood
Royal Equestrian Liaison

* * * * * * * * *

Blueblood’s Journal Day 9 in the Wildlands

We are camped at the walls of the ruin of Forum. One last night Drake says so that preparations can be made to safety enter. Apparently, there are ancient constructs roaming the ruin that will attack us on sight if these steps are not taken. Flim confirmed this when I asked, after Drake seemed to just be sitting around mumbling.

As it was explained to me, Drake’s in contact with those in the city using a system Flim and his brother developed. It is based on placing a spell upon one of the dragon’s scales. They hadn’t been in contact until today because communication has to be started from the scale holder’s side. It lets them communicate with Drake and track his azimuth and a general sense of range from the scale.

The issue for those in the city is powering the spell. Since there were no unicorns in the city they were currently forced to use dragon blood as the power source. He mentioned something about trying to interface it with Forums magic grid. Unfortunately, I had no clue what he was talking about at that point.

The two mares were there as I talked with Flim. Novelty Calendar, who I was surprised to learn is related to Luna’s aide Business Calendar, seemed quite fascinated by what he was saying. The other, Trixie, was acting uninterested. Years of experience in crowds of nobles taught me how to pick up all the signs that it was but an act, and not even a good one. She was hooked on what Flim was saying as tightly as Novelty, if for the same reason.

Iron Will is still standing beside Drake, his eye not having left the ruin once since we arrived. I will admit the ruins are grand, but they are still just ruins. The only standing structures are the ones at the very top of the gentle slope. I suppose I would respond similarly if I were to see ruins of Canterlot or Manehatten after having never seen them in their glory.

Emerald has yet to speak, but she always stays close to Drake. She is growing slowly according to Brutus. He says, given the amount of emotion in the link, she should have grown twice as much as she has and started talking already. She is such a strange looking creature. A hybrid of draconic and pony features with a hard chitinous shell.

The griffin awoke this evening. His name is Kestrel, and he seems…. I can’t put my hoof on it, but something is off about him. He is constantly looking over his shoulder and at the sky. He is always moving around, careful to never sit anywhere too long. I wonder if he was always like this or if it is because of his recent experience. I know that some of the ponies with me have started showing similar attitudes, always alert, always ready to move.

The students, though not little fillies and colts, definitely young stallions and mares, just starting their adult lives, are the worst. Perhaps it is because they have never considered danger as anything other than some fun and at worst a broken bone. The traders have had to deal with bandits and monsters in the past. The guard exist to go into deadly danger. Both groups are taking it better, but are not unscathed.

What of myself though? If I am honest, I am jumpy, skittish, and more careful now than ever before. It is not easy to admit. This is not the life for a liaison, I hope once we are within the city we might learn to relax once again and enjoy whatever amenities it has to offer.

* * * * * * * * *

Bias stood at the front of the auditorium as the students filed in. Bias spoke to them for a short time once they’d settled, taking advantage of the different seating zones for different races. To call it an auditorium is perhaps not accurate. Stadium would be more appropriate given the size. A massive bowl dug in the ground outside the city, large enough for full grown dragons to move about it or roost around the top. Built by Drakes’ order, and partially dug out with his own claws, it was meant to serve any possible meeting needs of the republic for the far future.

Bias’s class was barely even noticeable within the seats. Many wondered why they were there instead of the normal class or one of the Library’s large auditoriums. Then people began to file in. The students wondered what was happening, seeing the crowds fill the seats. Most were older citizens of the city. Some were even independent golems. Proud and honored souls that willfully became constructs. Then came ponies, griffins, and others, clad in government uniforms, all highly ranked within the different branches and bureaucracies. They were then followed by even more citizens of all walks of life.

Bias looked at the crowds flowing in with confusion etched on his face. When he saw another retired member of the Dragon Guard in the crowd he went to speak with him. “Felix Faustum , it’s been a long time. Care to fill me in on what the hell is happening?”

“Bias, you old stick in the mud! How is the teaching life treating you? Drake made an announcement about fifteen or twenty minutes ago. Said anyone who wanted to hear about the beginnings of the Republic from the maw of the dragon was welcome to come to the Grand Auditorium in thirty. The city pretty much shut down and started coming this way.” Felix said, waving his claw in a circle as he spoke before stiffening quickly.

“Wait, why are you asking? Are you trying to tell me you didn’t hear the announcement but are here anyway?” The griffin said incredulously.

“Yes, every year I hold a class here at about this time in the semester and Drake comes by to talk to the students. At least he tries to. I’ve had Queen Emerald come a few times when he couldn’t, and even once with Chancellor Epistaties. I find it helpful for the students to talk to those that were there for the events that helped to define the world today.” Bias said matter-of-factly.

“You’re serious. Damn Bias. I know he told us to feel free to ask for favors when we retired from the guard but I didn’t think it was a repeat deal.” Felix said.

“I only expected it to work out once. I had an excellent class that asked for it. Turns out Drake is a big supporter of education and as you already knew, he loves to talk. He asked that I invite him anytime a class seems worthwhile. Guess he decided to change it up without telling me this year.” Bias said

“Well he always did love to create trouble. Remember that time at High Wind Eerie?” Felix said a facsimile of a smile working its way onto his beak.

“Are you talking about the time the High King was trying to set his daughter up with-”

“Hey, we agreed to never speak of that again, but yeah.”

“Alright, I see your point Felix. Looks like things are starting to reach that point. My class is mostly near the front, and I need to get back to them. Take care of yourself, Felix.”

“I was never the one that wound up in trouble. That was all you, Bias.” Felix said, taking off for his seat with his family while Bias walked back to his class.

A hush fell over the stadium as a shadow passed overhead. There was a loud thump as something landed outside, followed by two voices, a male and female, bickering. “Dammit dad, there’s no need to make a crater every time you land.”

“Emerald, surely you understand the importance of making a grand entrance!”

The bickering continued as a dragon guard filled into the auditorium, lining the main walkway. All eyes in turned to the door as the Drake walked in. He lumbered down the main avenue. Standing 25 feet tall at the shoulder, scars showed across his body, where scales grew in weird patterns. The tip of his tail was ragged where a foe had taken a piece of him. The trailing edge of his wings was ragged, the lost velvety flesh having never grown back. He wilted under the criticism from his daughter.

Beside him walked Emerald, Queen of the Changelings. Her strange blend of dragon and pony features marked her as alluring and dangerous. She walked with confidence, all the while badgering her father.

Behind the pair followed the latest Equestrian Ambassador and the Queen's latest lover, a mint green unicorn stallion with a knack for the harp. Harpo Heartstrings had filled the role for many years now. He’d become a respected member of the community, and a much appreciated member of the orchestra.

Together, the three of them approached the stage, with the guard falling in step behind them as they passed. Emerald and Harpo took seats in the front row, a pair of guards for each sitting around them. Drake hopped onto the stage, earning a disappointed head shake from Emerald. His guard filled the area around the stage and all the entrances and exits. A pair of actual dragons in the guard roamed overhead, keeping an eye out for aerial threats with their pegasi partners who rode on their backs.

“Good afternoon everyone!” Drake said, looking out over the audience. “I’m sure ya’ll are wondering why I called this little get together.”

The crowd chuckled politely and gave a soft whisper of confirmation. Many simply sat in awe. Few had ever seen Drake this close before, fewer still heard him talk.

“First off, I want to thank Recognized Bias. Every year I come and speak to his class, provided I am available, and every year I am amazed by the sophonts I meet. At the same time, I have noticed myself placed higher and higher upon a pedestal. That may be fine for a prim pony princess, but last I checked I don’t have hooves...” Drake said glancing down at this claws.

The crowd shifted uneasily, unsure if they should take his words as praise, admonishment, or something else. A few chuckled politely at his joke, mostly the older members of the crowd that had met him before.

“See!? This right here is why I opened it up to everyone. I hope you don’t mind Bias.” Drake said, pointing to the old professor.

Bias stood up, so others could see him. “A little warning might have been nice. You don’t mind if I give everyone a test at the end of this, do you?” he said, quickly understanding what has happening. Drake had mentioned his frustrations in the past few years when it came to getting honest feedback from his people.

“That’s fine. Everyone heard that? Bias is giving you a test at the end of this so be sure to pay attention.” Drake said with a chuckle before settling down on the stage. “I know I have been busy as of late, traveling about and seeing the world. Honestly, it has been a nice vacation the past decade or so. I wanted to give ya’ll a chance to grow without someone hovering over you.

“I’m proud of most of what you’ve accomplished since I went hands off, but that doesn’t mean I’m uninterested. Since I came back, half of ya’ll have been scared as rabbits around a wolf, and the other half has noses so brown you can’t tell their original color.”

That got to the crowd, those in it quickly knowing which camp they fell in. Once everyone was looking properly ashamed, Drake started speaking again.

“Because of this I am going to share with you a story, to remind everyone that I did not rebuilt Forum on my own. To give credit where it is due, and help ya’ll understand I don’t think of myself as some overlord to be appeased or feared. Now, who’s ready for a story?”

The crowd muttered, unsure of what to make of Drake’s words. The voice of a small child, a griffin chick, called out over the them.

“I am, Mr. Drake, sir.”

“Excellent. Anyone else?” Drake asked only to be greeted by silence.

“Very well then. Child come up here, I’ll tell you the story,” Drake said, waiting for the child to start her way to him, before addressing the crowd again. “I’ll ask one more time who want to hear a story. You can leave if you want to. It won’t hurt my feelings any. There is nothing requiring you to be here.

“It does me no good to speak to people that are only here because they think they have to be. I want to tell this story to those that’ll listen and get something out of it. Not those who will fall asleep in the beginning and leave unchanged.” Drake said softly, a gentle smile on his face. “So, who want to hear a story?”

Slowly a roar built up in the crowd. A steady chant of “I do” then “We do” rose up from the crowd as it sunk into their skull what Drake was looking for. Not a monologue, but a dialogue.

“Excellent. Then let us start with the day I returned to Forum after interrupting the Wedding Invasion with my friend Spike, taking the changelings under my wing, and finding the last heir to the old empire.”

* * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Happy New Year Everyone

Thanks to my editor for helping with the chapter.

If you didn't hear, I went through and cleaned up many of the older chapters.

Chapter 33 is in the works and looking to be a fairly long one.

Thanks for the Favorites and Likes, comments much appreciated. I read them all even if I don't respond and consider them when writing.

PreviousChapters Next