• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,396 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,396

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 2 - Realization

Chapter 2 - Realization
“Destiny grants us our wishes, but in its own way, in order to give us something beyond our wishes.”-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It was early morning, the sun just beginning to rise above the horizon casting its rays on a glade in the depth of a forest, when Drake rejoined the world of the living. Drake groaned as each movement sent pain screaming across his nervous system. He’d just woken up from having his wish granted and wasn’t sure what to think.

‘Oh gawd, the fuck happened last night,’ Drake thought through the fog of pain. ‘Last I remember, I was on the beach relaxing, and then… I passed out and had that strange dream with the talking wish granting star that debated about immortality and price. Dream not important right now. Getting up and finding my friends takes precedent over understanding my messed up subconscious.’

Drake’s attempt to stand was somewhat less than successful. When he was about halfway up he quickly returned to the ground when a wave of excruciating pain raced it way through his body. “SON OF A BISCUIT WHORE!” he yelled to provide a mild outlet for his frustration, but doing nothing to reduce the pain. ‘On second thought I think I will just lay here in agony until one of my friends comes along to help me. It’s a beautiful, bright morning and they will probably come around to laugh at me for passing out last night any minute now.’

An hour later…

‘Apparently my friends aren’t coming to get me. Guess I have to go and find them. In that case it’s time for take two on standing then.’

Drake stood up slowly, pausing often to let the pain subside after each motion caused a new series of aches and stabs. Once he was fully upright Drake stretched gingerly attempting to work the pain out of his muscles. His arms up above the head, knees squatted up and down, back arched, mouth open wide, tail flexed and wings splayed.

‘Okay arms = normal, legs = normal, back = normal. Mouth usually doesn’t open wide enough to fill my vision. Tail is new. Wings are new. Does not compute.’ Faced with such unexpected new extremities Drake’s mind shut down, causing an undignified return to the ground.

“Time for a full body checklist,” Drake said shakily as he regained the ability to think. He began by moving his arms, legs, hands, toes, flexing every muscle in turn to make sure they all worked. Much to his surprise Drake discovered he could control his new body parts. Standing up once again he took a moment to look himself over slowly, the pain nearly gone.

“Okay final observation: I now have midnight blue scales with lighter ones along my stomach, claws with four digits including a thumb, two large leathery wings, my face as I knew it is gone as my nose and mouth have turned into a snout lined with razor sharp fangs. Additionally I have black spines down my back and a tail ending in an arrow shape, edged with serrated razor-like bone.” Speaking all of this aloud helped Drake calm down from the panic attack begun building as he slowly realized he was no longer human.

After a moment’s thought and recollection of what he believed to be a dream, understanding bit Drake right on the buttocks. “I think my wish got granted, because I do believe I am a dragon- Holy shit! I am a dragon, and all that shooting star stuff was real! I wanted immortality and power; it said I would have to go to a different reality. Wham! I wake up a dragon.” At this point Drake broke down in laughter, not ‘funny haha’ laughter, more like ‘I have gone insane creepy’ laughter, which lasted for a good five minutes or more.

Recovering from his episode, Drake set out to master his new body. His first steps ended with many repeat meeting with the ground. Slowly Drake learned how to control his arms and legs. By the evening he had learned how to walk on all fours without tripping over his own legs, but still had trouble walking due to balance issues with the wings and tail. Every time he stood the wings would fall open and he would either over or under correct for it, forgetting to include the tail in his reaction. The glade, once filled with grasses had had its flora crushed, underfoot and underbody by Drake, turning it from a picturesque setting to an ugly dirty hole in the forest.

As Drake fell asleep that night, he determined, thanks to a growling from his gut, that the next morning he’d have to start looking around and trying to figure out what world he was in. When he awoke, Drake suffered a momentary lapse of memory. He freaked out before remembering the previous day and his new life, such as it was. Calming down, Drake walked out of the glade, towards smoke he saw rising in the distance. He figured where there’s smoke there’s fire, and where there’s fire there’s probably something smart.

Around noon that day Drake, grown hungrier and hungrier as time wore on, stopped at a stream, and was drinking his fill when he saw fish swimming in the currents.

‘Never much liked fish, but fishes are better than wishes,’ Drake thought, his stomach growling again, louder than any previous time. Drake set about attempting to catch some fish to eat. At first he tried to snag them with his claws, but was too clumsy to get close. The one time he did get one with his claws, it wiggled free. Next he tried to breathe fire on them, but discovered, much to his disappointment, that he couldn’t. Drake made a note to ponder that deficiency more once his hunger was sated. When roasting them didn’t work, Drake waded into the stream which came out to his chest, and started trying to snap them up with his jaws. After several unsuccessful attempts and one unwanted kiss with a couple of rocks, Drake managed to nab a fish. Throwing it onto the shore he followed it out of the water and flopped down. Recalling what he could about preparing fish Drake clumsily gutted it using one claw then stopped when he realized a serious problem in his plan to cook his hard earn meal.

I don’t have any fire to cook this on.’ Drake pondered this dilemma along with his lack of fire breathing. ‘Maybe I have to find someone to teach me how to breathe fire. That makes finding someone my first priority.’ Drake looked down at the fish again before shrugging and eating it raw. Discovering that it wasn’t terrible but actually somewhat enjoyable he waded back into the stream and caught several more. It was late afternoon by the time Drake finished his fishing. Since the stream seemed to be following down from the same general direction as the smoke, Drake continued along it till he found a place to sleep for the night.

The next day Drake came upon a large field. As the sun warmed his scales his wings extended naturally reminding him of their existence. Deciding that the field offered a chance to practice, he began attempting to fly. By evening, he had a collection of new bruises but also very basic control of his wing muscles. While he couldn’t get very far airborne he was able to hover for an instant or two.

On his fourth day in this new world, Drake awoke to the sound of roars and the flapping of massive wings. Looking up he saw an incomprehensible procession of dragons clouding the sky, all heading for towards the smoke he had been travelling towards for several days now. Deciding that this was exactly what he had been looking for, Drake took off running after them. He tried to get airborne whenever there was enough room for him to spread his wings.

The entire day, Drake raced after the dragons, even as the head of the procession flew past the horizon more came. By evening, Drake reached the base of a volcano, which was the origin for the smoke he’d been heading towards his arrival. Drake collapsed at the base of the volcano exhausted by a day spent running stopping only to drink and eat some fruits he had seen growing along the way, calories are calories after all.

“I’ll go up the volcano in the morning. For now rest,” He panted as he got comfortable, letting the sweet embrace of sleep claim him. When he woke the next morning dragons were still coming in, but now in small groups of two or three rather than the unending tide he had followed the day before.

Shaking the sleep from his mind Drake tried once again to fly. Much to his surprise, each attempt made that morning came closer and closer to success. On a wild hunch, Drake climbed up the volcano a short way to find a place to jump from. Counting down Drake jumped and flapped for all he was worth. The fall turned into a hover. The hover became full on flight. Drake roared in triumph, laughing at the joy of having slipped the surly bonds of earth.

Drake circled around getting the feel for flight as best he could before landing on the mouth of the crater. Before him was an expansive, mostly dormant, volcano crater filled with dragons of all shapes and sizes.

‘Well damn,’ Drake thought as he scanned his surroundings, analyzing the other dragons. Drake made himself comfortable where he’d landed, taking in the sights and trying to understand everything he could about the dragons. How they interacted. What they ate. How to breathe fire. One stunning realization he had as he did observed the dragons was how well he could see everything in the crater, and how the longer he surveyed the scene the degree to which details emerged, almost as if his eyesight was slowly improving just in the short hour or two that he spent watching. Then again maybe he was tapping into skills he didn’t know dragons had. During this time, he could not shake the feeling that all these dragons looked familiar, like he had seen them before.


By comparing his size to that of the other dragons and their surroundings, Drake came to the conclusion, based on how big he estimated himself to be, roughly fifteen feet from tip to tail, four feet tall from ground to shoulder while standing on all fours, and roughly twelve feet tall standing on his hind legs, he was not a very large dragon.

‘Let’s see, since it seems I’m comparatively small, I’m forced to conclude that I possess the body of a juvenile by dragon standards,’ Drake though looking for someone closer to his own size. That way if thing went wrong he would have a better chance of getting away.

As the sun reached its zenith, Drake’s stomach rumbled, sending a not so gentle reminder he hadn’t eaten much since his arrival. ‘Well there is a group of dragons around my size, if a bit smaller, by that stack of gems, so I guess I will see if they can assist me.’

‘Wait…’ he thought as a feeling of deva vu crept over him. ‘Juvenile dragons around a pile of gems… I could swear I have seen this before.’ As he was racking his brain trying to figure it out, his stomach let out another rumble, urging him to find food. Rather than waste more time overthinking on an empty stomach, Drake jumped off the edge and glided down into the crater. Unfortunately for him, a gust of air caused by the difference in temperate between the lava pools and the atmosphere sent Drake crashing down in an ungraceful flop, landing right in one of said pools.

‘Note to self: crashing hurts. Avoid doing so in the future. Also remember lava doesn’t kill dragons.’ Getting out of the pool, Drake found himself at the foot of the gem pile. The six dragons he’d seen earlier quickly surrounded him, giving him a good look at them. There was a fat brown one with blue horns (Blue), a purple one with yellow hair (Hairy), a white one (Albino), a skinny grey one (Skinny), a chubby light purple one (Chubs), and then lastly a fairly buff red and orange one (Red) that seemed to be the leader.

“Hey guys check out the newcomer,” Albino said as he saw Drake drag himself out of the lava pool.

“Looks a little shrimpy to me,” Hairy said to the group with a chuckle as Drake stood unsteadily trying to recover from his crash.

“How come we ain’t never seen you before, huh?” Blue asked hostilely once Drake reached to group.

“What’s your name newbie?” Red asked, getting right up in Drake’s face for the question.

“Nice crash by the way, who taught you to fly, a chicken?” Chubs taunted while Skinny made chicken noises.

Drake took stock the dragons surrounding him: their attitude, apparent intelligence, or possible lack thereof, and possible advantages their strange plethora of body type might offer them, before quickly realizing something about them.

“Dammit, now I know exactly where I am. Figures these would be the first examples of intelligent life I meet. A bunch of shitty ass punks without an enough sense between them to form a fully functioning individual.

“What did you just call us newbie?” Red asked as the rest fell silent and glared at Drake.

“I think he insulted us.” Hairy said, lifting his hair up to get a better look at Drake

“Are you sure?” Blue asked looking around for confirmation from his friends

“I said that aloud, didn’t I?” Drake asked noticing the angry looks the dragons surrounding his were sporting. Wondering if they had noticed he was bigger than they were. Well taller anyway.

“Yeah,” Red said, cracking his knuckles, “Any last words before we teach you some manners?”

Drake, right then and there, realized these punks planned to beat him to within an inch of his life, or maybe beyond. Never one to back down, Drake he did the only thing he could, he taunted.

“Indeed. Do you know the average flight velocity of a swallow” Drake smiled, slipping into a crouch. Drake question caught the whelps surrounding him off guard letting him place the gem pile at his back so they couldn’t flank him.

“What’s the flight velocity of a swallow got to do with anything?” Chubs, now the closest to Drake asked scratching his head.

“Given your girth, I figured you’d know everything there was to know about swallowing.”

“Huh?”

“I’m calling you fat. Now quite, the grown-up is talking,” Drake said flatly, turning his attention to Red who was marching up to him. “I came here to get some questions answered; not to discipline the problem children. If you aren’t able to answer my questions, I’ll be on may way.”

“No, I think not.” Red replied with his claws out and ready to strike.

Drake understood the situation he’d found himself in and chose to act pre-emptively. He lashed out at Red attempting to claw him in the face, but having misjudged his balance and footing fell down and instead landed the blow on Red’s crouch. Red collapsed curling into a ball and crying from the pain. While Drake was on the ground, Chubs and Skinny dived towards him. Before they could land on him, Drake rolled out of the way and started to get up. Chubs and Skinny crashed in midair and landed on top of Red.

Blue, Hairy and Albino began circling around their friends who were attempting to untangle themselves. Drake turned to face them wondering how Chubs and Skinny wound up on the ground. When Blue jumped at him, Drake caught his arms and they began to grapple. As they grappled Hairy and Albino tried to get behind Drake only to be smacked in the gut by his tail as it flailed around uncontrolled. As Hairy and Albino recovered from the unintentional gut shots, Blue managed to push Drake over to the lava pit he’d climbed out of. Suddenly, Drake tripped on some lava that had pooled when he got out of the pit, losing his grip. Blue chose that exact moment to throw all his weight into pushing Drake into the pit. Instead, Blue flew over him into the lava pit.

Drake stood, shaking stars from his head after hitting it on the ground. Skinny rushed Drake, but missed him when Drake stumbled to the side at the last instant. Skinny sped past and crashed into Blue as he was getting out of the pool. Drake, once his head cleared, faced back towards the gem pile and the dragons waiting on him. Red was still curled up on the ground with Chubs standing over him attempting to help him. Albino and Harry were up and ready to rumble.

Albino came first, and Drake stood ready to meet him. As they clashed, Albino got his arms around Drake’s waist. Before he could take advantage of his position Drake slammed an elbow down into Albino’s neck causing him to lose his grip. When Albino’s grip slacked Drake brought his knee up into Albino’s chest. There as a sickening crush and Albino dropped to the ground wheezing and making no effort to get up.

Hairy stood back after seeing Albino’s fate and instead went for a ranged attack. He inhaled deeply and prepared to release a fire blast. Over where Red as slowly standing, with the help of Chubs, red lines leaked blood from his crotch. He turned to Chubs, pain and angry clouding his vision.

“Where is he?” Red hissed through the pain

“Right there,” Chubs said, pointing and using his free hand to turn Red’s head.

“I’m going kill him,” Red grunted launching himself off with his wings. As Red launched himself Hairy exhaled sending fire to immolate Drake. Unfortunately as he exhaled Red passed directly between him and Drake and was hit in the back by the fire. While dragon scales have many wonderful resistance properties, dragon wings generally lack these advantages.

Hairy and Chubs watched in horror as Red rolled on the ground trying to extinguish the magical dragon fire that consumed the thin
membranes of his wings. Drake breathed a sigh of relief he hadn’t been hit by the fire blast. Albino wheezed on the ground, unable to see anything but still hearing Red’s pained screams. Skinny and Blue watched from the edge of the lava pit cringing.

“Shh, shh it’s all over now,” Drake said softly as he crouched down near the prone and writhing Red’s head. Red tried to roll over to see Drake only to be stopped by a claw grasping the base of his skull. Red froze as he felt Drake’s breath on the back of his neck. He starting crying, fear working its icy grip into his heart, as fire died slowly consuming the last of his wings.

“No need to cry. The pain will be gone soon,” Drake whispered softly. Red felt jaws clamp down on his neck and sever his spine. Everything ceased to have feeling. Straining his eyes, he could see Drake’s razor sharp fangs piercing his neck. Though he couldn’t feel it he watched as the jaws moved biting deeper. Something liquid tickled past his jaw. Looking down, he saw his blood pooling before him. Then everything started to lose focus, the world became blurry and indistinct before simply ceasing to be.

Drake stood up, wiping the blood from his jaws. Reds corpse lay on the ground its neck broken and jugular severed. The Hairy and Chubs tensed, as if preparing to fight, then fell to their knees limply, Albino continued to wheeze, his breath growing softer with each passing moment, and Skinny and Blue slowly pulled themselves out of the pool.

Drake surveyed the beasts before him and knew that they were beat. Seeing that the threats were eliminated he started giving orders

“You help those to get out of the pool, you help wheezy here. If you don’t do something soon I think he’ll die too,” Drake said to Hairy and Chubs in turn. They jumped up and did as he asked. After Albino was rolled onto his back to remove the pressure from his broken ribs, Chubs flew away seeking an elder that could help him. The others sat in a semi-circle near the lava pit, cringing when Drake approached them.
“Now you are going to share some information with me, and you’re not going to hold anything back, right?” Drake said doing his best to project an air of intimidation. The dragons before him all nodded energetically. Drake smiled as he asked his first question.

Author's Note:

Author's Note: Here is chapter two the names for the dragons are based on Drake's perception of the scene, will Drake realize where he is, what are his questions, when will ponies show up. All this and more to come next time in Chapter Three- Seized of Drake's Empire.

Now freshly rewritten. For your enjoyment.

PreviousChapters Next