• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,395 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,395

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 19: Underground Lightning

Chapter 19: Underground Lightning
“And when I breathed, my breath was lightning” –Black Elk

The darkness slowly receded, replaced by a soft eerie green glow coming from the changeling horns to reveal Drake in a combat stance.

“Come with us.” The changeling standing directly in front of Drake said, before turning and, leading the way deeper into the cave towards a wide, tall tunnel. Drake relaxed and slowly fell in step behind them. The steady drip of water provided only sound in the dark passage aside from the clopping hoof steps of his guides. Drake remained silent, studying his surrounding as they walked.

The tunnel turned, hiding the entrance from view, and began to slope downwards, taking them into the bowels of the mountain. The walls became lined with lanterns, giving off the same eerie green light as the changelings. The path continued its descent into the earth for some time, leading Drake to wonder just how deep it could possibly go, before opening into a vast cavern with a small settlement sitting in the middle, illuminated by a glowing white crystal formation on the ceiling. The buildings of the settlement where covered with green changeling goop, but underneath they seemed to be solid stone constructions.

“Whoa.” Drake gasped as he took it all in. “Did ya’ll build this?”

“No, our queen led us here before the attack. The buildings where here long before. Now keep moving, Her Majesty is not to be kept waiting.” One of the guards replied as they descended into the chamber. As Drake followed them, he took every opportunity to look around, noting that while changelings were moving and flying about the settlement, there were very few compared to the army that attacked Canterlot.

“Where’s everyone?” Drake asked hoping to glean some information from his guards.

“None of your business Dragon. Keep quiet and get moving.” The leader of the detail barked, ending Drake’s feeble attempt at intrigue. As they moved through the town, Drake was impressed by its scale and the ease with which he was able to walk through it without feeling cramped or about to crush something. Rather than stopping at what looked like the town hall in the center of the settlement, they continued on, coming to a stop in front of a large building at the far edge.

“Go in Dragon.” The leader ordered as the changelings moved to put themselves between Drake and any route of escape.

“But this looks like some kind of warehouse.” Drake said turning to face them and tensing up.

“And this is the only building big enough to fit you. Now get in here, you’ve kept me waiting long enough, do not test my patience further.” A new voice called from inside the warehouse. Drake recognized it as Chrysalis, but was struck by how weary it sounded; like an exhausted mother that had spent the entire day dealing with misbehaving kindergarteners. Easing out his stance Drake pulled the large warehouse door to the side and glanced inside.

Inside Chrysalis sat upon a large elegant seat, though not quite a throne, at the head of a stone table that was laid out with various different foods and gems. Chrysalis herself looked haggard. Her mane was a disordered mess and bags hung under her eyes. The building was lit by the same lamps that had illuminated the tunnel leading to the cavern. Drake entered the building slowly, feeling a bit cramped despite its size.

“Come sit by me and partake of the feast, one that you alone can enjoy.” Chrysalis said tiredly motioning for Drake to sit upon the cushions set out for him to her right. Drake sat down carefully avoiding the columns at the edge of the light and the table itself. Drake eyed the food cautiously wondering what Chrysalis meant.

“What’d you mean?” Drake asked, reaching out, spearing what looked to be a chicken with one of his claws, and looking at it carefully.

“Surely you know that changelings feed off emotion, even you can’t be that ignorant.” Chrysalis responded, irked the person that had come looking for her by name and helped ruined her day of triumph was so ignorant.

“Sure, but is that all ya’ll need to sustain yourselves? The emotions of another? I figured you’d still need to eat something, feelings don’t seem very calorie dense.” Drake said sniffing the chicken, still unsure if it was safe to eat.

“Dragon, do not test my patience. I have upheld my end of the agreement. I have left you alone while you slept. Now you will submit to me.” Chrysalis ordered angrily, some of the weariness leaving her voice, only to slump down in her chair.

“What’s wrong Chrissy? You seem a little tired. Maybe you should rest some before you finish your part of the bargain.” Drake purred, holding back a chuckle at how weak Chrysalis had become in her defeat. Chrysalis glared at Drake, her hatred for the rude, stubborn beast growing. As she inhaled to yell at him, Drake stopped her with a shush.

“Now, now, you have only upheld part of the deal. As I recall the agreement we reached is a bit more complex than that.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

Drake was exhausted as he flopped down into the garden after his first meeting with Luna, her willingness to help him was a surprise but he wasn’t going to complain; except that he wished her help didn’t hurt so much. He’d been up all night and though the sun was starting to peek above the horizon he didn’t care, sleep was singing a sweet siren song to him, one he had no intention of resisting. Drake drifted quickly into a peaceful sleep, until an unwanted presence broke the serenity of the dreamscape.

“Dragon. I have come for you again. Cease your resistance and I will reward you greatly.” Chrysalis offered Drake through the connection she had implanted.

“Dammit! Cain’t get one night’s rest without having to deal with you, can I?” Drake grumbled having forgotten she would be waiting for him.

“It is morning you foal, not that it makes a difference.” Chrysalis laughed, pacing around Drake, their forms meeting on a field in the dreamscape created by Chrysalis’ magic.

“So you’ve been waiting for me all night long? Seriously?” Drake asked surprised she would wait so long to try and ensnare him in her plots.

“No… well perhaps… maybe… yes.” Chrysalis finally admitted in defeat, hanging her head tiredly. Her whole body slumped and the entire dreamscape faded slightly.

“You’re dying aren’t ya? Not just you but all the changelings. That’s why you’re so persistent in getting me to submit to your power isn’t it?” Drake guessed, realization dawning on him. Chrysalis locked eyes with Drake for a moment, before finally breaking contact.

“Yes.” Chrysalis answered in a whisper, looking at the ground. Drake said nothing as he tried to process this new information.
“We have been dying for some time. There is no love… No strong emotions left in this world outside of Equestria, at least not, which can sustain us. We numbered 10,000 when I made the decision to attack, 10,000 left of a race that once numbered into the millions. Discord promised Equestria would fall; else, I would not have come. Now, with the disaster caused by your meddling and that damnable pink alicorn, there are only 2000 of us left.” Chrysalis said angrily, pain and heartbreak causing her voice to break and tears to fall from her eyes.

“Now I’m not even able to control a dragon, a creature that should be driven by its mindless base desires, desires I can fulfill,” Chrysalis continued, changing into what Drake guess was a female dragon for a moment before the form failed and she returned to her normal form. Drake was intrigued by what she was revealing, Discord’s plots, Changeling history and extinction. Perhaps, in this time of despair, he could forge an alliance rather than pursue extermination. Then again, he may still have to effect a regime change to bring the changelings under his wing and to his side.

“It seems you’re way behind and in a bind, so I’ll offer you a deal. Give me a few days to set things in order here then I will come as you’ve been asking. Once I get there, you’ll share with me all you know about the history, biology, and magic of the changelings. If you agree, we might be able to work together. This is based on you telling me where to find you and leaving me alone until I come looking. Can you accept that?” Drake asked hoping desperation would leave Chrysalis no other option. Chrysalis took a moment to consider Drake’s offer. While she felt that she shouldn’t have to be making deals with someone she had beaten and placed an enchantment on, an enchantment that should have made him her thrall in the first place, she didn’t see any loss in sharing what she knew with him. If anything, it would give her an opportunity to strengthen her hold on him.

“Very well Dragon, I accept your deal. Meet me at this mountain, you’ll reach it by following these directions.” Chrysalis said raising the mountain with her magic, writing the directions into the air and imprinting them upon Drake’s memory with her magic as best as she could, noting to herself that it took more effort than it should, not much but still more, not unlike everything else that night.

“See you in a few days. Now can I please get some sleep?” Drake said, settling into a sleeping position not bothering to wonder if he would begin dreaming inside his dreams.

“Do not betray me.” Chrysalis said as her parting statement, severing the link and waking up in her throne room.

* * * * * * * * * * *

“You can’t be serious Dragon. We’re dying and you want a history lesson!” Chrysalis roared, drawing herself up. She used a bit of her magic to amplify her voice and cast a dark shadow over the room, making it seems as if she was the only source of light. Drake remained unmoved by the display as Chrysalis attempted to stare him down. The illusion soon broke and Chrysalis slumped down into her chair panting with her head hung low, unwilling to make eye contract.

“A deal is a deal Chrysalis, either start talking or do me a favor and go out with a whimper.” Drake said callously as he threw a handful of food into his mouth. Chrysalis sighed dejectedly, less than a month ago she’d been the most powerful being in the world, now she was being bossed around by a beast she had beaten, one she should have enthralled.

“Where should I start?” Chrysalis asked, still looking down.

“How about with the history of your title, you aren’t the first Spirit of Lust and Queen of the Changelings are you?” Drake asked, if there was some kind of reincarnation system for Discord’s lieutenants he wanted to know about it.

“No I am the fifth. I alone among the avatars of vice am capable of being reborn upon death, an advantage of being tied to sex I suppose. Upon death everything I know, everything I am, my spirit if you will, gets passed to the nearest changeling egg, just as it passed to me and my predecessors before me. Chrysalis answered preparing herself to recount her past lives.

“Interesting, please continue.” Drake said, hoping Chrysalis would provide information without him having to coerce it out of her.

“The first was the Black Queen, most powerful of the changeling queens and Discord’s lover on occasion. She repeatedly impersonated the enemy’s officers and exposed their plans allowing Discord to wreak even greater havoc against them. She fell in battle against the Hades, caught in a blast of fire.” Chrysalis recounted shivering as she recalled the experience of being burned alive.

“Do you remember this as if it happened to you directly or is it like watching someone else’s life?” Drake asked when Chrysalis was silent instead of continuing on. If he was going to kill her, he wanted the next queen to be more open to him.

“It is like watching a play. I have no emotions towards what happened other than what you have towards a character, but I remember it as they saw it. There is something terrifying about immolation.” Chrysalis said softly, before shaking herself out of it and continuing her recounting.

“The second, known as Tainted Love, died to friendly forces in the first invasion of what is today Equestria. She was in the fortress to open the gates. She failed to open them and was killed by a harpy that grabbed her head, piercing the brain while she was still in disguise.” Chrysalis said more focused on her memories that Drake. Drake for his part was wondering if the fort she was speaking of was Fort Bastion.
“The third, Empress of Shadows, was killed shortly before Discord’s defeat by the general of the resistance force, a unicorn known as Sombra. He caught her when she was trying to leave to warn Discord that the alicorn sisters had found the Elements of Harmony.”

“The fourth, Fleeting Heart, was born after Discord was defeated by Celestia and Luna.” Chrysalis said with disgust, though whether for her predecessor or the princesses Drake wasn’t sure.

“Once Discord was sealed his armies began to fight amongst one another. This allowed the Resistance, with the help of the Crystal Empire to force them from Equestria. They had to stop only once when the Empire fell under the control of Razor Claw who was controlling Sombra. Fleeting Heart was beaten at every turn and a failure in every way. She died to a hydra, of all things, as she was trying to enslave it. Though I suppose that isn’t all bad, it did lead to me.” She said with a hint of pride in her voice.

“So there you have it Dragon, the history of the changeling throne.” Chrysalis finished looking up a Drake, who was too busy trying to process the newest revelations to give a reply right away.

“Back up a moment, who was Razor Claw and what was the Crystal Empire?” Drake asked once his gears started turning once again, earning himself an amused look from Chrysalis.

“I could tell you, but our deal related to changelings only, I am afraid you will have to give me something in return if you want that information.” Chrysalis said with a smirk.

“What?” Drake asked, having a good idea of what she would want.

“Just a wittle bit of wove.” Chrysalis answered as she transformed herself into a snowy unicorn filly with a rosy red mane and tail and giving Drake biggest puppy-dog eyes she could manage. Drake gave her the most contemptuous look he could manage, but on the inside he was waging a losing battle. He knew that any love he fed her risked making her stronger, but damn if she wasn’t adorable.

“Fine, but ya better start talking.” Drake relented allowing himself to feel for the little filly Chrysalis had assumed the form of.

“Very well, I suppose I should start with Razor Claw and his sister since they were dragons themselves.” Chrysalis said, using her normal voice but remaining as a filly, relishing in the emotion she felt coming from Drake

“They betrayed their own kind you see; they came to Discord because they were jealous. Razor Claw was said to have the sharpest claws of any dragon, there was nothing he couldn’t cut, while his sister Shimmer Scale had the brightest, most magnificent scales of any dragon. Before Discord attacked, they were the most powerful and influential dragons in the world; that changed when Hades awoke.” Chrysalis recounted doing her best to pull up the memories from her past lives.

“Hades drew everyone to him and around him. He was the only one that would fight Discord and hope to achieve victory. Razor Claw and Shimmer Scale came to resent this as their own influence and power waned. As Razor’s envy grew and Shimmer’s pride remained injured, they came to hate Hades. In their hate, they turned to Discord.” Chrysalis paused to enjoy the look of amazement on Drake’s face.

“That’s how he was able to curse the dragons wasn’t it?” Drake asked surprising Chrysalis.

“Yes, it was. He turned the traitors into incorporeal being of pure pride and envy with incredible power, but he betrayed them. They only had access to those powers then they possessed another, and could only do so with permission from their target. When Razor Claw and Shimmer Scale where transformed Discord was able to put his curse on the race of dragons. A curse you seem oddly able to resist.” Chrysalis said realizing, not for the first time, Drake didn’t show many of the characteristics she had come to associate with dragons.

“Interesting, so I guess that rounds out the vices, you and your lot as lust, the diamond dogs as greed, ogres as sloth, harpies as rage, parasprites as gluttony, Razor Claw as envy, and Shimmer Scale as Pride.” Drake said hoping there really was just the seven.

“How do you know that?!”!!?” Chrysalis blurted in surprise. Up to this point she thought Drake was a strange anomalous idiot, but perhaps she was underestimating him.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out. Now tell me ‘bout the- What’d ya call it? Mineral Kingdom?” Drake said grinning deviously; glad to be back in a position of control.

“Crystal Empire, and not until you tell me where you learned so much, and how you can resist Discord’s curse.” Chrysalis said, standing angrily and giving Drake the fiercest look possible given her current form. The effect was far less than she hoped for as Drake began chuckling. Then Chrysalis felt the small stream of energy coming from his end. The loss of his love hit her hard. The hunger struck her quicker then she expect, causing her to collapse. She couldn’t believe it. Was she really so weak that she couldn’t go a moment without something’s love before having to fight back the pain of starvation?

“Dragon, what are you doing.” Chrysalis growled as she adjusted to the pain.

“Simple, you keep talking or I stop my lovin’. Orange?” Drake said holding one out for the filly size tyrant.

“Fine, just start loving me again.” Chrysalis said through clenched teeth. Drake nodded then sighed in relief as he was able to stop holding back. It was damn near impossible not to love Chrysalis when she looked like a defenseless filly.

“Okay, the Crystal Empire was an area in Northern Equestria that was comprised of naturally growing crystals. Aside from having a temperate climate, where it should have been snow and ice, all the plant and animal life was crystal. In time the ponies that settled there also began to take on a crystal appearance. It was able to resist Discord because of two factors. Firstly Discord’s Magic was somehow counteracted by the crystals making him vulnerable any time he was near it, and the second was the ruling families’ proficiencies with shield spells.” Chrysalis said enjoying the steady flow of love coming off Drake as it pushed back her hunger.

“There were more than one ruling family?” Drake asked curious about Chrysalis wording.

“Yes there were five ruling families that formed a council. They rotated out who was in charge and maintained a shield over the entirety of what the other races started calling the Crystal Empire. That was until Sombra, once he was possessed by Razor Claw, overthrew and slaughtered the families. Of course, Sombra and Razor were sealed in ice by Celestia and Luna, so it was a short lived victory.” Chrysalis said, hoping that would be enough to satisfy Drake.

Drake took a moment to try and process all the information he was given, while still trying to maintain an air of confidence and control. Weaving what Chrysalis had told him together with what he already knew, a tapestry of history came together and he felt that he finally had a grasp on Discords rein and why, if he had been so powerful, he had fallen. Deciding it was too much, and that Chrysalis wasn’t the most reliable source, Drake sighed.

“I suppose that is enough history for now, why don’t you tell me a bit ‘bout changeling physiology and biology?” Drake said deciding to move the conversation along.

“Well the changeling erogenous zones are…”

“Stop, that ain’t what I meant. How do you feed? What is your skeletal structure like, what happens when you shape change? You said changelings come from eggs. Who lays those, you or some kind of brood mothers?” Drake said, waving vigorously to stop Chrysalis. Chrysalis grinned enjoying Drake’s discomfort.

“Come now your being no fun.” Chrysalis pouted as she changed from a filly to a full grown mare. “Surely you’re least a little interested, it is what changelings do best after all.” Chrysalis said in a sultry a voice, only to be met with a deadpan stare from Drake.

“Fine, I’ll tell you what makes us tick.” She huffed taking a moment to gather her thoughts as Drake continued to glare at her.

“I suppose I’ll answer in the order you asked then. Changelings are able to feed on emotions or rather a creatures natural magic through their emotions. The stronger and more positive the emotion towards the changeling attempting to feed, the more magic we can extract from our target. Love is the most effective emotion for us because it is the strongest emotion anything can feel.” Chrysalis said relieved that Drake’s glare was softening into, what she had come to know as, his default expression.

“Interesting. Please, continue.” Drake said absentmindedly, chewing his most recent choice of morsel.

“Our skeletal system is a two-fold system. We have an outer layer of chitin and a skeleton of bone similar to that of a pony. Additionally we have very few internal organs, where most other species have a digestive system changelings instead have magic storage and wax producing organs.” Chrysalis continued, becoming irritated as Drake continued to clean the table, saying nothing, but waving for her to continue anyways.

“Enjoying my hospitality?”

“Umm... Very much so, I didn’t realize how hungry I was until I started eating.” Drake said, swallowing his latest mouthful before looking up and meeting Chrysalis’ angry gaze.

“Then perhaps you could find it in you to alleviate my hunger rather than just taunting me with a taste.”

“Answer the last question and I will offer all the emotional support ya’ll need.” Drake said shifting so that he had all four limbs under himself tensing slightly.

“You want to know where changelings come from, fine. I can lay the eggs, or a pregnant mare can become a hive mother, able to lay enough eggs to supply an entire army. There are none now, and what few eggs remain will die if you don’t stop being so stingy!” Chrysalis explained, yelling in the end.

Drake stood up slowly, looking down at Chrysalis as she dropped her disguise in her anger. He growled in warning as Chrysalis tried to stand and sneer back at him.

“I gave you what you wanted Dragon; now give me what I need!” Chrysalis hissed. Even now she could feel her people fading ever closer to extinction. A feeling made worse by the grin on Drake’s snout, a smug self-assured smile one might call it shit-eating grin. Then Drake started laughing, a deep hearty laugh, straying toward evil as it wound down.

“What’s so funny?” Chrysalis asked snarling. If he dared to mock her even now, she would make sure his life was torture. Even if it would cost her life.

“You’re so weak, and you think I’ll submit to you? I came here for two reasons. First, I wanted information, something you have provided in spades. The second is an offer for you. One I suggest you take.” Drake said, the humor leaving his voice, turning it to ice on the last statement.

“You made a deal with me DRAGON! Is your word worthless?! I bring you here, feed you, and you repay me with betrayal!? ” Chrysalis screamed, alerting her guards. Drake ignored her rage and continued.

“Here is my offer, Pledge your allegiance to me and my cause. Serve me as my spies and, when necessary, assassins. In return, you’ll have my gratitude, protection, and that of any who follow me. Refuse at your own peril; I will not make this offer again.” Drake said projecting his voice so that the entire warehouse shook as Chrysalis’ guards rushed in ready for battle.

“Dragon, you have tried my patience for the last. You come here, make demands of me, torture information from me, and now you attempt to make yourself lord of me and my people. I have but one master. Until he is free of his stone prison I will serve no one. If you will not submit willingly, I will force you to serve me!” Chrysalis yelled angrily, charging a spell alongside her guards.

Seeing that Chrysalis wasn’t going to listen to reason, and he didn’t have room to maneuver in the warehouse, Drake plowed through the columns to his right and out the wall as the spells started flying. Shaking off the pain after going through a stonewall, Drake took to the air. Chrysalis and the other changelings stumbled out after him.

“Bring him down.” Chrysalis called out, magically projecting her voice to carry across the entire cavern. What changelings could took to the air angling towards Drake, firing a mix of spells and their wax.

Drake dodged, firing back with his lightning, which jumped among groups of twos and threes sending their corpses back to the ground, but still they came. As the changelings got closer, their aim improved and they started scoring hits. While Drake didn’t feel the spells beyond a slight tickle, the wax was proving to be a problem. It stuck to his wings, reducing his maneuverability and making it harder to stay aloft.
Twisting and twirling in the air, he continued to rain lightning down upon the changelings. He kept climbing higher, trying to move out of their range, only to find himself hemmed in by stalactites. The changelings that avoided his blasts used the stalactites as cover, weaving between them to close in on Drake. Drake was beginning to tire as the wax on his wings built up. He landed on one of the stalactites to rest. While hanging from the stone, he continued to blast at the changelings trying to close on him, sending rock raining down when he hit the stalactites instead of changelings.

From the ground, Chrysalis continued to direct her forces, feeling the loss as each changeling struck by Drake’s lightning fell to the ground, many splattering and those few that survived suffered terrible pain. Worse yet, those too tired to take flight died of hunger and exhaustion without even leaving the ground. Still, she sent them after him, her hope raising as those that survived drew closer. For all her hope, Chrysalis also saw that her forces, weak as they were, may fail. As a precautionary measure she sent a small team to prepare the few eggs that remained, should the worst happen.

’I should’ve seen this coming,’ Drake thought as changeling drones swarmed around him. His wings were stuck in the folded position and his back left leg was stuck to the stalactite thanks to the wax they continue to spit at him. Nonetheless, he did his best to swat them out of the sky with his free claws or tail, but, most of the time, the changelings managed to dodge.

’I need to end this, and the longer it goes on the harder that’s going to be. I need to kill Chrysalis, but first I need to find the eggs.’ Drake thought as a round of wax landed on his right eye. As he tried to shake it off when he saw five changelings run into what he’d assumed was the town hall when he’d been escorted through the village.

’Of course, where else would they will be.’ With a target now in sight, Drake turned to his stuck leg. Rather than try to remove the changeling wax, he elected to take the easy route and blasted the rock he was stuck to. As the rock cracked Drake pushed off, the changelings, seeing he was trying to move, started spitting even more wax at him. With a resounding crack, the stalactite divorced itself from the ceiling, sending Drake rushing towards the ground. When he realized his wing weren’t opening he got worried. Seeing the ground rushing towards him, he had time for one thought.

’ This is going to hurt, a lot.’

Chrysalis watched in horror as the stalactite fell towards the village, and visibly cringed when it crashed into the ground, sending a cloud of dust and debris into the air.

“Find him! I want him immobilized now!” She yelled stumbling towards the impact site.

Obeying her orders, the survivors flew and ran towards the dust cloud expecting that Drake would be in no shape to fight back.

Drake grunted in pain as he rolled onto his feet, only to go down again when he put weight on his right front claw. “Damn, need to get moving.” He mumbled stumbling on in spite of the pain. He limped down the street towards the town hall, when he heard the sound of hooves on the road and the buzz of wings in the air closing in on him from all sides. A second later Chrysalis came out of an alleyway to block his path. The rest of the changelings taking positions around him, blocking all hope of escape.

“It’s over Dragon, give up and in 100 years or so I might let you see the sun again. Continue this foalish resistance however, and all you’ll
ever be is a meal, a large one, but nothing more than a food supply for my people. We both know you have more potential than that.” Chrysalis threatened, staring at Drake’s one open eye feeling assured of her victory.

“Chryssy, I’m going to kill you. Mark my words, but first I need to choose your successor.” Drake replied launching himself at her and swiping down with his good foreclaw. Chrysalis reacted instantly and fired a purely kinetic beam of magic at Drake, to push him back. When he continued through it, she began to panic. Pouring all her remaining magic into the spell, she took energy from the nearest changeling to feed the spell. This managed to slow him, but as his back legs landed on the ground the rest of him pivoted towards her, the claw growing closed as Drake pushed through the force of her magic.

Growing increasingly desperate, Chrysalis pulled more and more magic to herself. The changelings that encircled Drake began to drop from the sky or fall over and faint before dying as what little energy they had left was taken. Still the claw came down even as the beam sheared scales from Drakes claw, arm and face. When the last of the magic was exhausted, her spell died and Drake’s claw made contact. Fortunately for Chrysalis the spell redirected far enough it wouldn’t kill her. Unfortunately, it did hit her twisted horn, snapping it from her skull with a sickening crunch. Chrysalis cried out in pain as her whole world went black. Drake landed on the ground and fell over clutching his claw close to himself whimpering beside her.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Time is a funny thing, when there is no sun passing through the sky, no swaying of a pendulum, no bonging of bells to mark the hours, no tick from a wristwatch or steady change of a digital readout who can say how much time has passed. When you are in pain time moves very slowly.

Drake stopped whimpering sometime after defeating Chrysalis and stood slowly. The pain in his front claws forcing him to stand upright unsteadily without his wings to balance himself. After stumbling for a moment, Drake took a look around. The ground was littered with the bodies of dead changelings and before him lay Chrysalis, at first Drake thought she too was dead then he saw the steady rise and fall of breathing.

“Good, she is still alive, that will make this easier.” Drake sighed flexing his left claw and holding his right arm, which Drake guessed was broken, close to his body. Deciding to wake Chrysalis, Drake reached down, picked up one of the changeling bodies, bit its head off, and poured its blood onto the wounded queen. Chrysalis woke with a start, spitting the blood from her mouth and looking up to see Drake toss the body away.

“What do you want Dragon? Go ahead do your worst. My race is dead and it’s all your fault!” Chrysalis spat angrily, finding she had no strength left to move. Drake reached down and plucked her off the ground, walking slowly towards where he suspected the eggs resided.

“That is your own fault, you rejected my offer. Make no mistake, you’re dead, but your race may yet live.” Drake said as he limped the changeling wax on his leg slowing him down. Chrysalis looked at him, trying to organize her thoughts through the pain as she realizing where he was heading.

“What are you doing?” Chrysalis forced out.

“Choosing your successor, I’ll even let you name her. I am going to raise her. Your people will serve me as spies and even assassins when the situation calls for it. In return, they will be accepted and welcome in the nation I am creating; they will know no hunger or persecution.“ Drake said. The pair sank into silence for the rest of the walk, Chrysalis still trying to understand what he said, and Drake fighting the growing sensations of pain, the dull throbs and sharp stabs that told him the fall hurt him more that he had thought.

“Is this were the eggs are stored?” Drake asked as he stopped in front of the town hall, holding Chrysalis out in front of him as he asked. She tried her best to look defiant but bowed her head in defeat. Taking that as a yes, Drake put her down and tore the roof away to reveal the five changeling Chrysalis had sent to evacuate the eggs trying to stand and defend them.

“Stand down. Fight me and you’ll share your fellow’s fate. Wait a moment and perhaps you can avoid that.” Drake said as he reached in and picked up the largest egg he could see. The Changelings glared at him, charging their spells, but did nothing.

Outside the building Drake set down the egg beside Chrysalis. “What will the name be? Do you have any last words?” Drake asked Chrysalis, crouching down to hear her. Chrysalis inhaled, a peace coming over her as she stared death in the face.

“Emerald. May she lead better than I and see the Changeling race reborn.” Chrysalis proclaimed as loudly as she could, though coming out as little more than a whisper.

“Well said.” Drake acknowledged, picking Chrysalis and the egg up carefully in separate hands. He brought her to his jaws, biting her in half and dropped the body to the ground. As life left Chrysalis’ body, the egg in Drakes left claw began to glow a bright pink.

Drake returned turned his attention to the changelings in the building. “Your queen is dead, I hold the new queen. Follow me and you’ll live, or you can remain here and die.” He said watching their faces go from angry, to confused, and finally to scared.

“Explain; you have killed our queen and the rest of our race. Why spare us?” The bravest of them asked standing before the others.

“You’re creatures of lust, created by Discord to wage a war. Your queen’s spirit cannot be destroyed, so I will raise her as my own, to work with and serve me. Join me and you’ll never be hungry again.” Drake explained, allowing himself to feel pity and compassion for the changelings cowering on the ground.

Slowly they began to feel new energy tickle into them. The changeling glanced at each other unsure of what was happening. Again the one that spoke before took charge. “I’m Brutus, we are yours to command.”

“Good. Gather what eggs you can and wait near Fort Bastion. Stay safe and stay out of the way. Once you are there, send someone to Ponyville to find me.” Drake said turning to leave, before stopping suddenly and glancing back at them.

“Umm. Before I go, is there a chance you could get this crap of me?” Drake asked, while pointing his claw towards the changeling wax still stuck on his wings, eye and leg. Without a word, the changelings flew over to Drake and used their magic to slowly melt the wax, allowing it to flow off Drake. Once the wax was melted from his wings, Drake took the opportunity to finally open them fully and stretch them out. He was pleasantly surprised to find that they had survived the battle undamaged.

With the changelings help, he fashioned a pouch and strap to carry the egg. As the changelings helped him, Drake fed them as best he could, hoping it would help him gain their trust, and give them enough energy to survive. Due to the fog of pain he was in, Drake wasn’t entirely sure how well it worked. With the egg secure, he took off flying up the tunnel that he had been brought in through, having to be careful to avoid the walls and ceiling. He flew out the entrance and took to the sky in the direction of Ponyville, at least where he thought it was.

Once Drake was a safe distance away from the cave, he landed hard and promptly passed out. The pain from his injuries and fatigue from the battle finally catching up to him. As he fell into unconsciousness, Drake hoped that he had made the right choices. His last thought was directed toward his ‘friends’…

’I wonder what Flim and Flam has been doing?’

* * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Thank you to Alfamaxis and Ineffective One for being my editors and helping with the story.

Next Chapter should be what Flim and Flam have been doing so I hope you have prepared your bodies for that.

Reviewed 30 Dec 15- same as the past couple

PreviousChapters Next