• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,415 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,415

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Eclipse

Chapter 28: Eclipse
"It's best not to stare at the sun during an eclipse."
-Jeff Goldblum



When the dawn came, Fluttershy woke up, feeling well rested despite how late she got to bed, the heart stopping terror she survived, and having to once again take care of Drake. It upset her that he seemed determined to injure himself with whatever he did. When she mentioned it, Zecora suggested Drake might be a masochist. Fluttershy just blushed and said she doubted it, pointing out that even for all the bravado he had displayed he was shaking as they bandaged him.

Fluttershy pondered the perpetual fate of her admittedly terrifying guest as she fed the few animals that remained, those too scared to leave or brave enough to stay with a dragon camped on her doorstep. She noted that Angel wasn’t waiting on his breakfast. She found him standing sentry by the window, a bowl overturned on his head with a butter knife held at port arms.

As she approached, he turned, saluted, gave a thumbs up, and returned to his watch. Fluttershy wanted to chuckle at her first animal friends antics, but looking past him she shivered instead. Drake was still out there in all his dragonness, and for all that she had done to help him the past couple of days he still made her uncomfortable. Oh sure he was civil enough, had done nothing to harm her or her friends, at least intentionally, but he was still a large dragon. Perhaps not as big as most, but still larger than anything else in Ponyville.

She was glad for the guards that were standing around him. Something about them made her feel comfortable. Their confident stances, fit muscular physique, graceful deliberate movements, their- Fluttershy blushed as she realized what she was thinking.

As she continued to watch, partly to reassure herself of her own safety and the safety of her animal friend, and partly for the simple amusement it gave her, she saw somepony land near Drake. Though she couldn’t hear what they said she saw their lips move and felt the rumble of Drake’s voice as he replied.

The guard then headed towards her cottage. Fluttershy lost sight as of him as he neared her front door. Even though she was expecting it, the knock on her door surprised her.

“Good morning Ma’am. Our majesties have asked that you attend the meeting this morning. They want all the Element Bearers there as you have each interacted with the dragon Drake and may be asked to give your opinions,” the guard droned in a well practiced official tone when Fluttershy opened the door after a few moments to prepare herself.

“But between you and me, I think it is to prevent Twilight Sparkle from having an untimely aneurism. Princess Luna prevented her from cleaning last night with a sleep spell,” The guard said more candidly, adding a small smile when he saw Fluttershy shaking with fear.

“You probably want to head over there quickly,” he said when Fluttershy just stood there staring at him.

“Oh. Oh, I- I need to get going then. That is if that’s all you needed to say,” Fluttershy said, looking at the ground and tracing circles with her hoof.

“Yeah that’s all,” the guard said surprised by just how accurate the briefing had been on her. 'Well, two down four more to go,' he thought as he took off to finish delivering messages.

* * * * * * * * * *

Twilight was a wreck, a terrible one at that, which was what greeted Spike as he returned home. She’d already tried enchanting the broom and mop to clean the library, with disastrous consequences. Though he wondered where the giant mouse in a stage magician’s hat had came from, which he just filed away as another one of those things that would never be brought up again. Thankfully Princess Luna knocked her out and placed Twilight in her bed before anything else could happen.

Spike cleaned the mess caused by the crazed and cursed cleaning implements, before going to bed himself. The very next morning, he woke before the sun, as was typical for him. Even out in Forum, he had often been the first one up. He took those dark hours before the sunrise to talk to the griffins on the deadpony watch, or as they called it the snatching watch. The name coming from the high likelihood of being attacked by Diamond Dogs or kidnapped by Harpies in the darkest part of the night.

Making his way to the kitchen from the basement, where they set up a mattress for him, Spike brewed a pot of coffee for himself and Twilight. He’d then prepared some tea, remembering that Princess Celestia was supposed join them. Princess Luna came in, drawn by the scent of fresh coffee, taking a cup to fortify herself for the morning.

As if on cue, as soon as the first rays of the sun peeked into the library, Princess Celestia appeared in the main room with a flash of teleportation. Finding herself suspiciously alone, she was quickly drawn to the kitchen by the smell of fresh tea. Without a word she joined Spike and her sister at the kitchen table, enjoying the moment in the accompanying blissful silence.

A short time later Twilight wandered down, oblivious to the world around her. Pouring herself a cup of coffee, she muttered her appreciation as she sat down across from Spike.

“Oh, this is just what I needed after last night,” She said taking her first sip. “So, Spike what’s for breakfast?”

“Breakfast would be very nice, do you still make those wonderful banana pancakes?” Princess Celestia asked, having missed breakfast at the castle to teleport to Ponyville. For all her skills, teleporting on a full stomach still upset her.

“Um, some fresh pancakes would make for a wonderful dinner. Though chocolate chip would be preferable to bananas,” Princess Luna said sticking her tongue out at her sister.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Spike said turning around to get started when a stream of coffee slammed into the back of his head. A glance back showed him the source, a very distraught Twilight how was on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Thankfully Princess Celestia calmed her down and Spike was able to prepare a breakfast fit for royalty. As they ate, one of the bat ponies came by with an update for Princess Luna.

“Your majesty, the messages have been delivered. All the element bearers are on their way here. There is one slight problem however,” the guard said, shifting uncomfortably.

“Oh, and what might that be Lt. Enigma?” Princess Celestia asked light-heartedly, confident that with both herself, her sister, and the Element Bearers on hand there really wasn’t anything to be worried about.

“Drake has said that he will not be coming for the meeting and instead requests that you come to him,” Enigma said looking away from the princesses.

“Lieutenant, I somehow believe that isn’t what he told you. Please look me in the eyes and tell us what he really said.” Princess Luna ordered. Enigma cleared his throat looking between the Princesses, Spike, and Twilight trying to find a way out, none presented itself.

“Very well you majesty. I however must stress that what I am about to say comes straight from the wyrm’s mouth,” he said waiting for a nod to confirm they understood.

“Very well, his exact words were: I am beat to hell, stripped of my scales, and dealing with the loss of one of my followers and friends because the overpowered princess ponies couldn’t keep their own borders secure. So have Luna drag the oversized, cake fueled Sunbutt out to me if they want to discuss this, but understand this! I am NOT moving from this spot just so we can talk about how I’m not giving them this egg.”

The library kitchen was silent for a moment before Princess Luna burst out laughing. Twilight watched with horror, Enigma with concern for his life, as Luna continued laughing and Princess Celestia sat dumbstruck her jaw hanging open. For his part Spike just buried his head in his claws, muttering to himself.

“T-tis true sister, you have grown since 1000 years ago, and not in a good way,” Princess Luna said as her laughing abated. “But if he is as badly hurt as he says he is perhaps it is best we meet where he is rather than here.”

Princess Celestia for her part just sat there a polite smile on her face sipping her tea before speaking, “Well you know the stress of ruling a country, can you really blame me for enjoying something as delicious as the occasional piece of cake.”

“You’re okay with what he said, and you're just going to shrug it off like that?” Twilight asked exacerbated.

“Twilight, think about this from his perspective for a moment. He was just defeated, suffered greatly for his victory over Chrysalis, and was awoken to be told about a meeting where I seek to deprive him of the one trophy he has gained as of late.” Princess Celestia said, trying to help her student see the larger picture. “For now let us finish our meal, then once your friends arrive we shall go out and deal with him. If needed we can use his poorly planned words against him. But to show anger, to rise to the bait he has dangled before us would be foolish and play into his hands.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

Her hooves hurt, she had been walking along the road for days, before that she’d flown through forests and fields until her wings failed her, but now her destination was in sight. Hunger pains strained her movements and fatigue blurred her vision, but there had been no food on the road, not ones she could safely take. Now though, in this little town where she had been compelled to go, by the order and by a deeper calling, she would be able to find something to sate her hunger.

She inhaled deeply, taking in the smells most others would miss. The pheromones, hormones, the little bits of emotion in sweat. To a pony they were almost imperceptible. To her they were a delicious buffet, alerting her to possible feeding grounds. Her disguise in place, Scissor made her way into Ponyville, looking for someone to feed from. As she came into Ponyville she began to see the auras of the different emotions, a light show unlike any other. Colors danced as she passed ponies and place emotions from the now and those from before that faded with time depending on their strength.

She headed to the strongest source she could sense, and found herself before a strange building that seemed to be made of gingerbread. Looking at the sign above she realized it was a restaurant of some kind and the construction likely a marketing gimmick. Opening the door, she took one look inside and jumped into the bushes. The building was filled with royal guards. They were eating, drinking, talking, and laughing as the primary sources she had identified served them a wide array of food.

Scissor shook her head as she extradited herself from the bushes. Somewhere else would be better. Somewhere like that next source she sensed. It seemed much more her preferred flavor anyway.

Working her way through town, she came upon a small, but very nice home. Slipping up close she saw a grey Pegasus mare humming to herself as she prepared breakfast. Dropping her disguise and becoming her normal, and much smaller self, Scissor flitted up to the roof and wormed her ways through the thatching above where she sensed another pony still resting.

'What luck', she thought as she spied the resting filly. 'This is too good to be true.' Not one to look a rebounding stallion in the mouth, Scissor leaned in close and with a quick spell placed the filly in stasis and sifted through her memories. Most were quickly assimilated, useful to get the mannerisms right, but when Scissor reached the most recent memories she paused.

'Well that certainly explains the guards. Though I can still feel the queen nearby. Did he leave her here, or has he already returned. I’ll need to be extra careful if there is a princess here though.' The memory scan complete Scissor stole the fillies form and, closing the door behind her, trotted off for some breakfast. After all who would begrudge her a meal before getting to work?

Walking into the kitchen Scissor grabbed ‘her’ normal spot at the table. “Good morning Mommy. Breakfast smells awesome! What are you making?”

“Good Morning Muffin, did you sleep well after that scare we had last night?” Derpy asked turning around from the counter with two plates balanced on her wings. Setting them on the table she took a moment to ruffle her daughter’s mane playfully.

Scissor looked at the plates. Omelets stuffed with vegetables, banana nut muffins, and a small bowl of applesauce on each plate. A meal made with love for sure, and a meal that would get her more if she played her words right.

“Of course mommy, thanks for the delicious looking breakfast,” Scissor said drinking in the motherly love pouring off of Derpy. In her opinion it was the best meal imaginable, a parent’s love for their child. As she ate the meal, smiling happily and talking with Derpy the hunger that had been a constant companion slipped away and Scissor felt fuller and stronger than she had in years.

Though she wished she could stay, she knew the stasis effect would wear off soon and that she had to leave before that happened. Finishing the plate before her Scissor decided it was time to implement her exit plan and find the dragon she was looking for.

“Okay mommy, I’m done with breakfast can I go play with my friends?”

“Clean your plate then you are free to go,” Derpy said exactly like Scissor expected. With all the quickness and efficiency a filly can show and not arouse suspicion. Scissor went to work. Then she was out the door, maintaining her disguise, but putting as much distance between herself and the meal as she could.

* * * * * * * * * *

Drake woke to pain shooting through his limbs. He smacked his lips groggily as he tried to piece together everything that had happened since the battle with the diamond dogs. As his mind and body awakened he began to recall what had happened.

“Oh fuck,” He muttered when he remembered that he had spoken to Princess Luna and that she knew about the changeling egg. He repeatedly cursed when he remembered that this wasn’t the first time he had woke that morning and the reply he gave the guard. A third time the curse passed his lips as the saw the Princesses, the Elements and Spike walking towards him, though thankfully still some ways off.

The guards were stifling a laugh at Drake’s discomfort, both physical and psychological, until he expelled some lightning in their direction. “Sorry, must of lost control of myself there for a second. Pain does funny things to the mind after all,” Drake forced out, smiling as the guards moved back.

Drake breathed deeply as he tried to think through the pain. ‘Okay I need to stay calm. The egg, changeling existence, independence, trade, keeping Forum’s knowledge for myself. That is how I will have to order my priorities for this. Of course, Spike did make that message they have for me seem bad.’

The approaching party arranged themselves around the scheming serpent. Drake remained silent letting the initiative rest with the Princesses, or rather he was doing his best to keep from grunting or hissing in pain.

“Good Morning Drake, I offer my sincerest condolences about what happened last night. I hope you can trust me when I say those responsible will be dealt with and your friend recovered,” Princess Celestia said a faint smile on her face, but still managing to project a sense of martial strength behind it.

Drake remained quiet. Princess Luna took this as her invitation to start. “Last night, I made you promise to share your doing since your meeting with Spike, in full, in return for a message. Do you still agree, or do you wish to test our metal and magic against your scales this morning?”

“Take a look at me Princess, I can barely move. I would like to start by apologizing for the message I sent this morning, I was not fully aware of myself and my mind was clouded by pain and grief. I’ll spin a yarn about my doings, but first the message. I’ve a feeling it’s not good news,” Drake said, shifting into a sitting position to take pressure off his arms.

“Very well. This was the message delivered to me last night by a harpy claiming to serve their foul leader,” Princess Luna said to prepare Drake for what was to come.

* * * * * * * * * *

Twilight watched as Drake listened to Princess Luna’s message. She was holding her tongue for now. What Princess Celestia said was enough for her to try seeing things from his perspective. She would still make him pay for what he did to her yesterday, but that could wait. When she saw him that morning, his face falling, all the tells of sorrow and sadness in dragons she had learned from growing up with Spike, she felt something for him. Not pity or sympathy, he wasn’t deserving of those, but perhaps he did deserve a chance to justify himself.

When he learned what had befell more of those that supposedly followed him, though she didn’t understand why anypony would, he began to weep. No roar, nor rage, nor demanding answers, or accusations of lies, but to weeping. Then he spoke, his voice breaking.

“Tell me, did you allow the messenger to return to her mistress?” Drake asked, tears still in his eye as Luna told him Cynthia’s fate.

“Good, in time the dogs and harpies will pay. I’ll snuff out every last one until there is naught left of them but bones and stories. The fate of the changelings is forever denied to them this day,” Drake said with as much gravitas as he could muster through his tears.

“And what is the fate of the changelings,” Princess Celestia asked, pushing on the door Drake had unlocked in their conversation.

“Ya’ll upheld your end of the agreement, so I’ll do likewise. However, I’d be remiss if I did not ensure that all present here truly wished to hear this tale, it is not a happy one for the most part,” Drake said trying to buy time for him to compose himself.

“I believe it is fair that they learn of it as well. They defeated Nightmare Moon and Discord. They wield the most powerful artifacts known to Equestria. If Discord’s commanders are on the move they will likely have a role to play in stopping them,” Princess Luna said but she still looked at those assembled to be sure.

“Yes, what won’t you let Spike tell me about. Why do you have a changeling egg? What are you hiding? WHY DID YOU KISS ME?!” Twilight said no longer willing or able to keep quiet. The time for answers had come, in order of importance of course.

“You really want to know Twilight Sparkle. In all the macabre details it’ll involve? All the ugly truth and conjectures of possibility. To learn you are but a small piece in a larger universe? To discover how long it will take Goku to power up. To learn the answer to life, the universe, and everything?”

“YES!” Twilight said tired of his stalling and games. The rest of the Mane Six winced at the tone and volume of her voice.

“While not necessarily as eager for the detail as Twilight, we would like to learn just what is going on,” Rarity said tilting the parasol she had brought with her back so she could look Drake in the eye.

“Go ahead and give us the details. I bet they’re just made up to scare us anyway. I’ll tell you right now, nothing you can come up with will scare me,” Rainbow said after pulling down a cloud to rest on.

“If’n my family is going to make that deal you desire then I want the truth,” Applejack said, figuratively throwing her hat in.

“What deal?” Twilight asked only to be reassured it would be revealed in due time.

“I’ll grab seats and popcorn,” Pinkie said vanishing for an instant only to reappear with a pair of picnic tables and a popcorn cart.

“Fluttershy?” Princess Celestia asked when she noticed the final member of the sextet not speaking up.

“Can we skip the macabre details?” she asked softly, hiding behind her mane.

“No,” Drake said.

“Fluttershy,” Spike interjected, speaking shakily, for the first time. “This, if he tells in full, both what he has asked me not to share and what I have kept to myself, will be involve conflict and devastation more than peace and harmony.”

“True,” Drake said.

Fluttershy quietly thought it over. “I’ll stay,” She said at last, joining Rainbow on the cloud.

“Good, if everyone is ready I’m only going to tell this once, so if you’ve got questions, ask them. I have a feeling some rather long discussions are going to occur at the end of this so let’s get started.”

Twilight grinned. Finally she was going to learn what was going on. What had really happened to Spike, where they had really gone, why he’d done that thing with his tongue, and why she was starting to feel sympathy for the secretive serpent before her.

* * * * * * * * * *

Scissor had finally found him, and could sense the growing queen hidden somewhere nearby. For some reason he was on the very outskirts of town, next to the Everfree forest. When she saw the Princesses, she was glad she had chosen to stay in disguise.

'At least that explains all the guards,' she thought as she hid in a nearby bush listening to Drake talk. It was hard to hear him at points but she caught most of it. She had made it just after he had started and listen closely, eager to learn more about the creature that had struck her queen low and taken the new one, and what remained of the changelings under his control.

It struck her as odd just how accepting the dragon holding her race hostage was. He saved a pair of ponies, made friends with griffins, and was willing to give her race a chance, and at the same time how hateful he was towards Rage and Greed. The maliciousness was clear in his voice, in his apparent joy at having carved through the dogs, and reluctant admittance at having to rely on others to beat those of Rage.

She also noted the emotions wafting off the ponies. The princesses seemed to share a sense of empathy combined with grudging approval. Though, it was much stronger from Princess Luna than Princess Celestia.

The emotions coming of the lesser ponies were far more interesting. From the guards there was awe flavored with distrust. From the pegasi on the clouds came two different extremes. They fluctuated through the story, always at odds with each other. Terror, and thrill, boredom and intrigue, compassion and unease.

From the unicorns there was a desire, lust, not for carnal pleasures but for knowledge, an eagerness, with a sprinkling of revulsion, and apprehension, oddly at least in the case of the white unicorn these emotions seemed more focused on the other dragon, the purple dragon who was covered in her scent, than on Drake.

From the earth ponies, well that was an odd set. From the orange mare there was a skepticism, but from the pink one came a wave, a river, a trickle, a drop of everything and anything. The primary one was happiness, but it seemed a thin veil, colorful distracting icing on a large, complex cake. Underneath that icing a different fear was present from her than from anyone else. While there was a steady bit of primal fear of a predator from all except the princesses, from the pink mare it was a fear of rejection, loneliness, and something else. There was love, strong and broad for all there and many more it seemed, but also a sad loneliness simmering alongside.

She became so distracted sampling the ambient emotions, smelling their unique bouquets, reveling in the unique tapestry of colors they created. Most were of no nourishment, but after so long on the road, to be able to taste such vibrant array was divine. Perhaps this was why she stumbled out of the bushes unannounced and was spotted by Drake without realizing what happened.

“Um, does anyone know what that filly is doing here?” Drake asked, pointing at her. Scissor jumped in surprise before remembering she was in disguise.

“How did she get here? Corporal check the bushes,” one of the guards called. The guards moved quickly one grabbing her, and another poking through the bushes.

“Our apologies majesty, we’ll take her back to town right away,” the guard holding her said.

“Let’s not be so hasty. After all, this little filly came all the way out here for something,” Princess Celestia said curiosity pouring off of her. “Bring her over here.”

“Yes Your Majesty.” Scissor trembled as she was brought towards the Princess.

“Hey Dinky what are you-“ Pinkie started, before stopping abruptly and studying her closely.

“Pinkie what are you doing?” Twilight asked as Pinkie broke out a stethoscope and placed it on Scissors muzzle.

Scissor fidgeted under Pinkie’s gaze, stuck in the guard’s hooves.

“Do you know who this is?” Princess Luna asked directed primarily at Pinkie, but open to anyone.

“That’s Dinky Hooves, her mother is a mailmare, and a substitute weatherpony, or was, until the incident,” Rainbow said looking down from the cloud. “Don’t know what’s up with Pinkie though.”

Everypony looked at Rainbow for a moment in a bit of surprise. “What, they go almost everywhere together. Has no one else seen them together?”

“Fair ‘nough,” Applejack said, tying up that thread of the conversation.

“I have an important announcement,” Pinkie finally said, stashing the stethoscope nopony had noticed before it was gone. “That’s not Dinky!”

Scissor struggled as everyone pony gasped in surprise, the reveal aided by an unexpected clap of thunder coming out of Ponyville. Drake took a closer look.

“Are you sure,” He asked before anyone could get a word in edgewise.

“Absolutely!” Pinkie replied pulling a report out and donning a pharmacist's coat and reading glasses. “You see-“

“No need,” Drake said interrupting her and reaching out with his better arm while Pinkie gave him the stink eye. “Hand the imposter over to me please.” The guard hesitated, an imposter most likely meant one thing and he wasn’t comfortable about holding that likelihood, but at the same time didn’t want to give it up.

A slight nod from Princess Luna and he handed Scissor off.

“Alright, who are you really?” Drake ask lifting Scissor up to his face.

“You don’t recognize me? That really hurts. After all there are so few of us left,” Scissor said dropping her disguise a bit of life sustaining emotion already being directed her way by Drake. “How about now?”

Scissor shied as the full force of the pony emotions hit her, particular those of a positively pissed purple unicorn. The anger was expected. The raw hatred was surprising. “What is that thing doing here?” Twilight growled

“I’ll get to that in due time. By everyone else’s leave. I need just a moment with- What was your name?” Drake asked her.

“Scissor, my name is Scissor, Regent, or is there another title you would prefer?” Scissor said watching Drake’s face drop for a moment.

“Okay, a moment with Scissor,” Drake said in a deadpan before shifting away from the ponies with a grunt and speaking more softly to her. “While your reveal was a bit early, can I assume you’re here ‘cause the others are in place?”

“Yes Regent. We are hidden in the pass, near the fort, in a place only we know. When you leave this place I will guide you there,” Scissor said taking pleasure in the approval Drake was feeling towards here. This encouraged her to take a risk she would have avoided under Queen Chrysalis. “If I might ask a question?”

“What’s on your mind?”

“What is going to happen to us? There are few, yet you have spared us, you hold our queen, but my connection to her tells me that she is growing in a rich environment.”

“That is what this meeting is going to decide,” Drake told her softly. “Given the opportunity, the ponies will take you from me and use you for their own purposes. I don’t plan to let that happen. So if there comes an opportunity for you to help me, take it.

Scissor thought it over for a moment then purred with satisfaction. She hopped onto Drake’s head, landing softly with the help of her wings, and settled in near his ear. “I will let you know how they are feeling, whenever it seems appropriate, but I expect to be allowed to eat after this.”

“We’ll discuss food later,” Drake whispered to Scissor before turning back to the ponies that had waited patiently. Well, more they were still debating the ethics of using an eavesdropping spell.

* * * * * * * * * *

Spike waited for Drake to finish speaking with Scissor. He did so by trying to calm Twilight. She had been furious when the changeling appeared, even more so when it proved to be working for Drake, though she had come at the opportune moment for him. Drake was recounting the assault on the griffin camp, the first time he had willing killed another thinking creature.

He had never shared this with the others, and now he feared its revelation. Particularly their response to it, Rarity’s most of all. If Rainbow had arrived earlier she would likely have found a far more interesting conversation to interrupt, but when Rarity learned what he had done, the mistakes that took place in their training, how he had been the one to make to battle plan for the Battle of Canterlot. Would she still feel the same about him?

* * * * * * * * * *

The story had been long in telling, and many time after Scissors arrival Drake was made to stop and explain. The reveal of Forum had been as surprising and shocking as Drake expected. It had then been much more tedious than anyone had expected. He had elected to skip over the origin story from Epistaties, earning an understanding look from Spike, though he did have to cover in brief the history of the Empire. That was almost a mess until the Princesses had stepped in and offered it credence.

All told, Rarity was glad to learn the truth of the matter, it made Drake request much more understandable. The death of Chrysalis and his kidnapping, if it could be called that, of the new changeling queen definitely made things for more interesting.
The details about the changes Spike had gone through had been disturbing at times. A monster just under the skin. A killer hidden behind those loving green eyes. Yet, he was still the Spike she had known, a stronger, more mature model perhaps, but the core was still the same.

Then she thought about the Battle of Canterlot, the shield had been bathed in fire and lightning. That fire had come from Spike, he had confirmed it. In fact everything the pair of dragons had done that day had been planned by Spike. The same Spike that had flown in to protect them, thrown himself into an army to buy them time. The same Spike she had learned that ridiculous song because of, the same Spike she was disappointed hadn’t kissed her.

‘Perhaps these would be thoughts best figured out at a later time,’ Rarity thought with a flush as the conversation grew more and more heated regarding the fate of the changelings.

* * * * * * * * * *

Drake held back a growl, doing so would only hurt his case at this point and reiterated his stance. “Understand this now Princesses, the changelings stay with me, the only means by which you will get them is if you kill me. Try that and I will destroy the current one so you will have to hunt them down on your own. I have plans, plans that might let them flourish without the need for genocide against them.”

“We do not wish to exterminate them, as I have said before, but we cannot allow them to run free. Likewise we cannot allow you to take them as you have proven to be of unreliable character. Now accept that you must hand them over so we can discuss what it is you plan to do in the Wildlands,” Princess Celestia said with a nod from Luna. The rest of the ponies there had taken to watching from the sidelines as the discussion continued.

Scissor whispered in his ear. “She is not as unmovable as she seem, but they do intend to make you pay for something. They do not trust you, and feel uneasy about you.

“The real matter at hand is that you don’t trust me to keep them under control or not to use them against you at some point in the future?” Drake said hoping he had guessed right.

“Aye, we do not trust you, or rather my sister is uneasy about what you may do. Then again she hasn’t spent as much time around you and yours as I have,” Princess Luna said causing Princess Celestia to frown and look at her. “Come now sister, he is a dragon, you know how stubborn they can be. He isn’t going to give up his new toys. I trained him to fight Chrysalis and if not for Flim and Flam, who follow him, Bastion may well have fallen.”

“She’s right, I am quite the stubborn serpent” Drake said unwisely, earning him a harsh glare from Princess Celestia.

“No, so long as you intend to remain an independent force out there- Don’t deny it- then I can’t allow you to have the changelings,” said Princess Celestia with a tone of finality.

“What if he didn’t remain completely independent,” Twilight said, interjecting herself into the conversation. All eyes turned on her, causing Twilight to blush.

“What if there was an Equestrian advisor or liaison that could provide guidance and report back to you what was going on out in Forum. It would need to be somepony learned. After all they will be out there with a massive, unread, historic library,” Twilight said, beginning to stare off into space.

“I would be willing to accept such an arrangement,” Drake said thinking it over for a moment. “But I would want to have some input on who it is. They will need to work with a diverse crowd and be diplomatic about it. By the way Twilight, you’re drooling.”
Everyone stifled a laugh as Twilight wiped away the drool.

Princess Luna was the first to speak. “I am amiable to such an arrangement, provided you bear the burden of proving the individual we select is unfit before you can disqualify them. Sister?”

“I suppose it is acceptable, though I will expect weekly reports from whoever is sent. Now I have heard that you are in need of food and construction materials for your city, a steady stream of trade through the Wildlands, yes?” Princess Celestia said willing to move forward now that she was guaranteed to have eyes on the situation. In fact she had just the pony to send that would force Drake back to the negotiating table.

“Indeed,” Drake said channeling his inner Teal’c, “Forum is a grand ruin, but even with the small group we have there it is difficult to feed us all, though it should get easier once we reset the enchantments.”

“As it stand now, travel through the Wildlands would be dangerous for any trader, even more so now given that the children of chaos seem to be targeting you,” Princess Luna said.

“Convoy system should be able to deal with that. All trade moves together, you escort them to Bastion and I will take them from there,” Drake said, working over the logistics in his head

“And what will that cost us. Guard aren’t free, and if they are attacked it will only get more costly in terms of lives and bits. If we are to allow and sanction trade then we need something from you,” Princess Celestia said calmly.

“What, I don’t intend to share the knowledge of the library for free, I am going to let those following me make use of it to produce their own goods for sale. It is the only thing we have and I can’t give it away even if I wanted to. Epistaties would probably kill me if I let you take any book out of it,” Drake said getting ready for the hammer to fall.

“Fair enough, but right now Bastion only recognized one of those followers of yours as its rightful commander. Transfer control of the fortress to us, and allow students in that library, take them on as a rebirth of the universities it once serviced, and we will support convoys up to Bastion. You may also not charge the traders for your protection,” Princess Celestia said ignoring a whine from Twilight.

Drake thought it over for a moment, doing his best to seem like he was weighing it heavily when in fact it was better than he had expected. “I can accept that. Should we send for some bureaucrats to get this all formalized?”

“Yes, Island Limbo will probably be the best choice for author. He is a great bureaucrat despite having a cutie mark for limbo dancing,” Princess Celestia said, ending the negotiations.

A pair of guards were dispatched to Canterlot to fetch the bureaucrats to draft a treaty. Everyone else broke up to handle other matters. The Princesses took Twilight back to the Ponyville Library to look over the histories and Twilights notes intending to discuss what Drake had told them and compare it with what they knew. Rarity and Applejack stayed for a bit to discuss the matters Drake had previously spoke to them about. Rainbow left to go practice, something about the story having gotten a fire into her. Fluttershy looked over Drake’s injuries then went into her cottage. Spike dallied for a bit showing interest in and offering inputs on the business deals before leaving with Rarity.

After all but the guards had left Scissor came back out. “So you keep us for a while longer Regent, unbounded and unflinching. Feeling proud and content. Really not my cup of tea. Can I go into town to eat now?”

“What is your cup of tea and where will you go for it?” Drake asked.

“Motherly love, directed at a daughter given the chance, a sister works well too. Something about it is such a sweet flavor, so pure and untainted by any emotion other than love. Sisters have some envy but that is why I eat from the elder ones never the younger, they always care more than fearing a shadow cast over them,” Scissor said drifting into the air and hugging herself.

“I thought you worked in the nursery, how is it you can infiltrate and have a flavor of preference?” Drake asked doing his best to settle back down to rest. There was nothing else for him to do now, nothing else he could do.

“That was a rotary job, everyling does a shift at everything. It builds skills to use in the outworld, and prevents anyling from going rogue without it being noticed quickly. Now can I go? All I had today was breakfast and the pittance I got from you, Regent.” Scissor said having become much more forward since her arrival.

“Go, just don’t get caught. I would recommend you avoid anyone that was here today by the way, most of them were in Canterlot when you attacked,” Drake said seeing no point in holding her back. She would probably go anyway if he told her no.

With a bow, Scissor headed into town adopting a disguise along the way. A guard started to go after her before Drake growled stopping him. “Let her go, she will be leaving with me soon enough, and if she has any sense she’ll check in everyday.” Drake said, nearly yelling the last bit to make sure Scissor could hear him.

* * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

As Always thanks to my wonderful editors Ineffective One and Alfamaxis.

Comments are appreciated and help the next chapter in its developement.

Also if anyone is wondering Drake would later explain the entire storyline of Dragonball and Dragonball Z to the guards while he waited for Flim to arrive with Iron Will.

PreviousChapters Next