• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,390 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,390

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 15: Invites and Plans

Chapter 15: Invites and Plans
Plans are nothing; planning is everything.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

When Spike exited the library, he saw clear skies with the sun just passing its zenith. Forum was fully visible. For the first time, Spike took a good hard look at it. Even as a ruin he could see its former splendor amongst the ruins, and felt a sense of sorrow at its current state.
Spike found Drake standing on the edge of the plaza stretching. “Hey what are you doing?” Spike called out walking towards him.

“Getting ready and you should be too” Drake replied as he continued stretching

“Ready for what?”

“This is going to be our home base for the foreseeable future. That means that training is about to be stepped up. The way I see it, we can start right now by fighting with these golems. If we start to get overwhelmed or there are too many, we’ll move back onto the plaza.” Drake answered as he finished stretching.

Spike joined in Drake’s stretching. Thus began their training that would last until they received a certain invitation. They learned and practiced everything Drake had hoped and more. The library provided a myriad of opportunities, not only for Drake, but also the Cider Twins and the griffins.

While Drake and Spike trained the Cider Twins read. They read books on magic, books on mechanics, books on diplomacy, and many more. They sampled everything and fell in love. The knowledge in this library opened their mines to wild new creations they had never before considered. They knew now following Drake had been the best decision of their lives.

The griffins learned as well. After discussing it amongst themselves and Epistaties, they decided to make Forum their home, at least until the next gathering of the Great Houses. They trained, they learned, and twice a week they left the city to find food. It was a dangerous assignment as no two patches controlled the golems for the same amount of time. All the time they trained, the world continued turning. Events happened beyond their little corner on it.

* * * * * * * * * * *

As Drake and Spike began their training, a pair of pony princesses met to discuss a cryptic message they received some time ago and another that had just come.

“What do you make of this new message Tia? It seems different from the other one,” Princess Luna asked, referencing the messages lying on the desk between them.

“It suggests the threat is real, and this one seems different from the first.” Princess Celestia replied picking it up. “Regardless, we should increase the security here in Canterlot. The upcoming wedding is the most likely time to attack. We must be prepared,” Celestia said as she put the letter down and picked up the other one. “And what of this Drake, have you discovered anything about him?”

“No sister, nowhere in the dreamscape can I find him. Though, after receiving his letter, there were reports of animals going missing north of here. A hydra that was found dead with a hole in its stomach,” Princess Luna replied, grimacing slightly as she recalled the scene she’d visited personally.

“Do you think this Drake has anything to do with these happenings?” Princess Celestia asked, concerned about what could kill a hydra but leave its corps behind.

“It is possible, or it may have been whatever or whoever now threatens us. I am concerned as to why he asked about the stars. We both know the power they hold.” Princess Luna replied.

“Indeed those stars can grant any wish, but there is a limit to their powers. For now we will have to wait for someone to show themselves before we can act.” Princess Celestia said with a sigh. “But these preparation can wait until after the National Dessert Completion we are judging today.” She continued while heading for the door. Seeing that Princess Luna wasn’t following her and was instead looking at the letters Princess Celestia turned back.

“Is something wrong sister?”

“Go. Enjoy your desserts without me. I will go ahead and meet with the Captain of the Guard to discuss heightening our defenses.” Princess Luna replied, holding up a hoof to stave off Princess Celestia’s objections. “It is fine; I would not feel comfortable judging the competition when there is work to be done ensuring the safety of the kingdom. Go and enjoy yourself. I understand that one of the entries is from Ponyville. Perhaps your student will be there.”

Celestia sighed in resignation. “Luna you really do need to get out more.” Holding up a hoof to stop her protests, “And no going to Ponyville on Nightmare Night is not enough public interaction for one year.”

“I promise I will get out more, but this needs to be taken care of now.” Luna said as she grabbed the letters.

“Alright, but I expect you to attend Cadence’s wedding.”

“Very well Tia, I will attend the wedding if I can.” With that the sisters left the room. One to attend a dessert contest and the other the meet with Shining Armor, Captain of the Guard. Outside the meeting room there were two guards. Both guards looked and acted like normal royal guards, but only one of them was.

“Everything is going according to plan,” thought Queen Chrysalis, disguised as the other guard. “They‘ll be so focused expecting an attack; I’ll be able to replace Cadence and incapacitate their captain of the guard without anypony realizing it. In just over a month Equestria will be mine!” Then she recalled the other message they had mentioned, “Though I wonder who this Drake might be, and what role he intends to play in these coming events.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

It was a week until the wedding and Princess Cadence was in her castle apartment when there came a knocking at her door. Wondering who it could be, she dropped what she was doing and went to open it. Upon doing so she was met by a lone guard bowing down before.

“Rise and state your business,” Cadence commanded wondering what the guard could be there for given the late hour.

“Your highness are you alone? I bring an urgent message from Princess Luna that is for your ears only.” The guard said his eyes roaming everywhere searching for signs they were being watched.

“I am. Come in and shut the door, but be quick this is most unusual. Given the state of things, I assume it’s not something to be delayed.” Cadence replied with concern, something was very wrong about this. She knew thing in Canterlot were tense. Her fiancé Shining Armor was busy maintaining his shield while her aunts watched for danger.

“At once your Highness.” The guard stood and followed Cadence into her apartment sealing the door with magic behind himself.

“Now what is this urgent message?”

“You are in the way, and shall be imprisoned until it is time to watch Equestria fall.” The guard said as he was enveloped by green fire to reveal Queen Chrysalis. “But don’t worry, I promise to take good care of Shining Armor while you’re gone.”

Before Cadence could react, she was silenced by Chrysalis’s magic and consumed in a ring of fire, transporting her to the Crystal Mines beneath the castle. Chrysalis smiled as she watched Cadence disappear.

’My plan is almost complete, soon all of Equestria will be mine,’ She though as she assumed Cadence’s form. ’Now I just have to gain control of Shining Armor; shouldn’t be too hard. After all, what groom can resist his bride.’ Chysalis laughed to herself as she began exploring Cadence’s apartment, memorizing where everything was.

* * * * * * * * * * *

That morning, Shining Armor had met with the Diarchal Sisters about the security of Canterlot and found himself discussing his wedding plans. During this discussion, a topic came up which would throw a wrench in all Chrysalis’ plans. When Princess Celestia asked how Twilight had taken the news, the entire room fell silent. Shining Armor’s face went from horrified to embarrassment.

“You did tell your sister you’re getting married didn’t you?” Celestia asked, fearing she already knew the answer.

“Ah….hehe. It must have slipped my mind.” Shining Armor responded. “I don’t suppose I could get you to send her an invite. We already sent them out.”

The room was silent as Celestia rubbed her temples and Luna just shook her head. Then an idea came to her. “Why don’t we invite all the bearers of the elements to come to the wedding?”

“What? Why?” Shining Armor asked.

“We are currently in a siege mentality, and the past two major threats to peace and harmoy, myself as Nightmare Moon and Discord, have been beaten by those six. Let’s invite them to the wedding. That way, they are here, near the elements, should our mysterious enemy decided to show themselves.

“That’s a ter-”

“Wonderful idea sister,” Celestia said, cutting off Shining Armor. “In fact I think we should have them take over all the jobs for the wedding. Catering, dress making, entertainment and music. That way, they will have reasons to be here, and take some of the worry off your plate.”

“I don’t know…”

“It’s that or I tell Twilight you forgot to invite her to your wedding.” Celestia said with an air of finality.

“Ok, I don’t like it but I suppose it can’t hurt anything. I’ll leave this to you then.”

“Very well. If we don’t have anything else to discuss, this should be taken care of quickly.” Luna said to close the meeting. Celestia and Shining nodded in agreement and together they left the meeting room and went about their business.

As he walked away Shining thoughts were consumed by one worry. “How in Tartarus am I going to explain this to Cadence? “

* * * * * * * * * * *

A month is a short time, a mere thirty or so day, but a month can also be a long time when each and every day is spent improving yourself. For Drake and Spike, it had been a very long month indeed, and both showed the signs of their training. Their training had not been just physical sharpening their reflexes and strengthening their bodies, but also mental, to improve their self-control and intelligence. Sparring, exercising, taking trips beyond Forum to practice their greed control, flight and fire breathing, classes from Epistaties, and free time spent reading in the library had changed Spike from the pudgy little hatchling he once was to a graceful, strong, drake coming into his own with a vast intellect and razor sharp wit.

He now stood shoulder to shoulder with the Cider Twins and had an impressive set of wings fit for his new physique. Drake too had improved becoming stronger and smarter than before, more knowledgeable of his new body and world than he ever thought possible in such a short time. In his studies he had found spells and technologies he believed would allow him to rebuild much of the Empire. Perhaps even above its height in due time.

During this month, more happened in Forum than just the training of a pair of dragons. The griffin decided to make Forum their permanent home and working with Epistaties began to clean and restore the Library.

Flim and Flam spent most of their time studying in the Arcane and Mundane wings of the Library and began work on several new projects to either help in the reconstruction or as new products to sell in Equestria when next they returned.

Epistaties had spent the month working with the people he shared the Library with. He taught those that couldn’t how to read, write, and do math among other things, such as working with Drake and the griffin leaders to find a way to neutralize the golems once and for all.

After this long month of training, Spike was resting on the plaza when he felt a familiar feeling tickling in his gut. A moment later, he belched and a letter appeared before him.

‘What are these for,’ Spike though as he opened them noticing one carried Princess Celestia’s seal. “Let’s see here. Princess Celestia Cordial invites you…”

Spike bolted upright as he finished reading the letter. “Shining Armor is getting married,” he cried out causing the griffins outside to look at him curiously. “Sorry ‘bout that.” Spike called out as he went to find Drake, knowing he would want to see the letter. As Spike searched he could help wondering if this hadn’t been what Drake had spoken so long ago.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Drake was reading about the history of the Empire of Order. He was trying to learn all he could about the society that’d been destroyed. Most importantly how it’d been destroyed. Suddenly, Spike rounded the corner crashed into him.

“There you are,” Spike said recovering from the crash, “I got a wedding invite from the Princess Celestia. Thought you might like to see it.”

“No, need. Let me know when you get the second message. Then we’ll get ready to leave.” Drake replied a smile forming.

Before Spike could ask what Drake meant, he belched up royal mail for the second time that day. “I guess this is the second message.”

“That it is. Read them so you know what is up, and send ‘em to Twilight. Once that is done, meet me at Flim and Flam’s workshop.” Drake replied putting away the book he was reading.

’So it is time for a wedding,’ Drake thought, walking towards the workshop. ’Let’s hope all this training and studying pays off.’ As he walked, Drake saw Epistaties and called him over. “Hey, I remember you saying every city in the Empire was bound to the Emperor or something to that effect?”

“Yes, the Emperor’s blood was mixed with dragon blood and a very complex enchantment was used to give him control of the defenses of all the cities and many other functions as well. Others could be added to this enchantment but once they died it was not passed on to their descendants.” Epistaties replied.

“So if we had the Emperor here would could change the enchantments on Forum such that I was recognized as the Emperor?”

“I suppose but the Emperor died when Labyrinthine was destroyed and the lineage has been lost.” Epistaties replied morosely. “Why are you bringing this up now?”

“You mentioned once that a heir to the throne may have survived, and a group of minotaurs, enough to maintain a small but healthy population, had fled for the Equestrian Province, what is today Equestria.”

“Yes.”

“I think it may be possible an heir is alive in Equestria. If we can find him or her, we can reactivate the Imperial enchantment network and transfer ownership of this city to the people living here. So the only piece of the puzzle is finding out who it is that is currently the rightly Emperor.”

Epistaties thought it over for a moment. “That might work. If you could reactivate the old enchantments with a corination ceremony it should reset everything in Forum. Maybe even the whole empire. There is a problem though. We are once again left with the issue of discovering this heir.”

“What if we, using the existing enchantment in Forum, have the Cider Twins use their magic to scry the heir?” Epistaties pondered Drake’s question for a moment before coming to the conclusion that it couldn’t hurt to try.

“I suppose we can give it a try. I can’t say if it will work or not.”

“Good enough; Come with me. I’m meeting with them now to plan for a trip back to Equestria. We’ll be embarking in the next day or two.” Drake said as he began walking off making Epistaties work for a moment to catch up.

“What?! Why didn’t you mention this sooner?” Epistaties asked with annoyance once he was abreast Drake.

“I only learned the date of the wedding today.” Drake replied offhandedly.

“Do I even want to know the story behind this?” Epistaties asked, a hand rubbing his temples.

“I doubt it; Spike can give you some detail if you really want them. I’ll tell you the whole story once we get back.” Drake answered then noticed Epistaties looking skeptical. “Seriously, scouts honor.” Drake defended, holding up a claw in the best scout salute he could manage when missing a finger.

A short time later Drake, Spike, Flim, Flam, and Epistaties were gathered in the workshop. Spike explained whose wedding it was. Drake provided no reason for the trip other than he felt it was time for Spike to return home. They set about planning the trip to Canterlot, discussed the feasibility of the scrying spell, and made provision for what would happen at the library once they left.

“I suppose we need to get Eagle-eye and Swiftwing in here before we set anything in stone,” Drake said, realizing he had forgotten about them in the excitement of the wedding news.

“Yes, seeing as they are going to be the ones in charge once you leave.”” Epistaties replied, making in clear he had no interest in being in charge when there were others that could do the job.

“Alright,” Drake replied, ducking out the workshop and catching a griffin just as she entered the hallway. “Hey Preen, can you do me a favor?”

Preen jumped when she first heard Drake calling her name, having been daydreaming as she wandered the Library, but recovered quickly and replied, “Of course, what do you need, sir?”

“Please find Eagle-eye and Swiftwing, and ask them to come here. I need to talk to them ‘bout something that’s come up.”

“Certainly, sir. Any reason I should give them.” Preen asked as she took off to find her clan’s leaders.

“Tell them I’m making some vacation plans,” Drake replied, slipping back into the workshop. Preen scratched her head for a moment then flew off.

Back in the workshop, Drake decided to steer the conversion to finding the rightful heir of the Empire’s throne. “While we are waiting on those two, Flim, Flam do you think ya’ll two could cast a spell to scry the rightful heir to the throne of the Empire, provided one lives?”


The brothers put their heads together and whispered between one another for a moment before looking up, nodding, and saying, “We might if we have something that belongs to the heir, but scrying spells require more power the further away the item you are scrying is to resolve an image.”

Flam pulled out a chalkboard and Flim began writing. “If our estimate is accurate we can find the heir if he is at Bastion and even then we will only be able to sense him for an instant.”

“Is there a way we could boost your power?” Drake asked hoping there would be some way to pull this off.

“So far as we know-”

“Yes.” Epistaties interrupted. “Yes there might be a way. I believe I had mentioned that the Empire’s cities gather solar, wind, ambient magical and any other energy they had access to. “ Drake, Spike and the brother nodded on confirmation. “Well we also had a means to store any energy that wasn’t used.”

“And this city has been storing energy since the Empire’s fall!” Spike exclaimed beginning to grasp the magnitude of energy that might be stored.

“This city has been storing energy from the confluence of magical energy it was built to study alongside all those sources.”

Drake whistled and the Cider Twins gaped like fish.

“So where is all that energy stored?” Flim asked.

“And how can we tap into it?” Flam followed up.

“As far as where it is stored, I would like to keep that a secret a little bit longer.” Epistaties answered leaving no room for argument. “Tapping into it, on the other hand, shouldn’t be too difficult. There was, and should still be, a chamber beneath the Arcane wing that was used to research high level magic. Inside is a terminal that allows whoever is using the room to tap into a portion of the stored energy. The amount is regulated by an interface outside the room. I can work the interface for you.”

“Ok, so we have a way to find the heir. Now to talk about the vacation.” Drake said as Eagle-eye and Swiftwing came into the workshop.

“Preen mentioned something about a vacation when she found us; just what is going on?” Eagle-eye asked.

“Good you’re here. Me and Spike are going to a wedding,” Drake replied getting some enjoyment out of everyone reactions.

“What!” Everyone but Spike yelled in surprise.

“Spike, you want to explain this?” Drake said trying to stifle a laugh.

“Well, um you see, I was raised by the sister of the groom, and the groom is like a brother to me. I’ve planned to return to Equestria all along. Now that Drake and I have developed our mastery of our Greed, and I have grown up from looking like a baby to what I do now, I figure now is a good time for me to go home, right Drake?”

“Basically. In short, I brought Spike with me for a mutually exchange of information and promised him that he would be going home for a wedding; the upcoming wedding he just got the invite for.” Drake explain glad Spike was able to give a decent and true explanation of why they were going back.

As everyone calmed down, they began to discuss what would happen until Drake returned. It was decided that the dragons would leave the next morning heading for Canterlot at full speed. While that was happening, the Cider Twins would scry the location of the heir and head out to find him or her. A team of griffins would escort them to the gap near Fort Bastion. Then, while the twins continued on to find the heir, the griffins would go to find other Families and invite them to come to Forum to help in its rebuilding. Once the twins found the heir, they would contact Drake. Together the three of them would return with the heir.

Once everyone was in agreement, the meeting had ended and they went about preparing to carry out the plan. Later that evening, a party was held for farwell and good luck. It lasted into the night, but in due time everyone was sleeping soundly. When the sun rose in the morning Drake and Spike left heading east. One preparing to enjoy a homecoming, the other for battle.

* * * * * * * * * * *

As the meeting in Forum was happening, a group of friends in Ponyville held a picnic. It was in the middle of this, a wisp of smoke swirled before one of them. It materializing into a pair of scrolls with broken seals. Everything stopped as the recipient sat there and stared at the scrolls while her friends stared at her.

Finally one of the spoke out. “Twilight, darling, are those from who I think they are?”

“I think so Rarity.” She replied without taking her eyes of them.

“Then don’t you think you should, I don’t know, read them.” Rainbow said

“Oh right,” Twilight replied, now moving to read them. A moment later she yelled out in anger and disbelief before passing them off. “WHAT!”

* * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Editted by: Wise Idiot

Thank you for reading everyone and putting up with the exposition and world building. Next chapter will hopefully bring you a little bit of action.

Reviewed 29 Dec 15- Added a few lines, clean-up work otherwise.

PreviousChapters Next