• ...
27
 547
 3,427

PreviousChapters
Epilogue - Once More Unto The Breach

{And we’ll just pick right up at the end of a scrap.}

“Steelix, use Thunder Fang!”

“We got ‘im, buddy! Hydro Cannon, now!”

Bruno stood in his room at the Indigo Plateau, with his Mega-Evolved Steelix. Across from him was Devontae, wearing his usual style, today in dark blue and corn yellow. Before Devontae was Feraligatr, who opened his mouth into a tremendous torrent of high-pressure water. Bruno’s Mega Steelix slid back a couple of metres before toppling over and fading back into its Pokéball.

{At long last, Bruno is taken down.}

Dropping to his knees, Feraligatr sighed a great, long sigh of relief, turning his nose upward as he closed his eyes. He held up both fists in triumph, as though a weight had finally been lifted from him as a lone tear ran down his cheek. Bruno’s shoulders slumped as he hung his head, while Devontae cheered, pointing to the ceiling, “Yeah!! Aengus, that one’s for you, my n—” using a word that earned a confused stare and blurt from Bruno, “That one’s for you!”

“And there was still one you didn’t even bring out...wow. You’ve grown into quite the trainer,” Bruno commented, looking down. “Just...two questions.”

“Yeah?” Devontae answered, raising an eyebrow.

“First, I thought he was white?” Bruno asked, looking at Devontae with a slight frown and his face turned slightly away.

Devontae grinned and shrugged, shaking his head. With a snort he said, “Well, brah, that don’t matter. Just don’t use that word, and we Gucci.”

Bruno just blinked at Devontae for a moment while Feraligatr returned to his ball.

{One opponent left....}

“...right...and two...,” Bruno began, looking upward, “...what are they doing back here?”

In the spectator seats were Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Starlight Glimmer, and Trixie. Rarity had a gold ring around the base of her horn, and Trixie wore her trademark hat and cape. Looking up with a smile, Devontae tipped his head toward Bruno for a brief moment. Twilight stepped forward and said, “Funny, you’re the first of these ‘Elite Four’ to ask. Suffice it to say, I learned we had...shall we say...one last loose end to tie up here. One that cannot be avoided, else we would not have come again.”

Raising an eyebrow, Bruno asked, “It took you five months to notice?”

“It would have been sooner,” Twilight said with an annoyed tone and annoyed expression, slowly turning toward Trixie, “if somepony had spoken up sooner!”

“Sorry I forgot,” Trixie said defensively. “After struggling to survive, and raising a classroom’s worth of little ones, Trixie’s mind has been many other places.”

“So you say,” Bruno sighed.

He gave a proper bow to Devontae, who returned the gesture. Untangling his two chains, Devontae asked, “Is it true you’re leaving?”

“Yes,” answered Bruno. “I’m ready for something else, even if it’s just traveling.”

Devontae nodded. “Really changing up who’s here, huh?”

“Yeah. No doubt you’ve seen the trouble of leaving Paddy in charge, the state of the roads and so on,” Bruno grouched. “None of us like it; none of us want to be a party to it.”

“Yeah, brah, it’s...what could he be thinking? Cinnabar’s too damn dangerous for kids, with the active lava flows and everythin’!” Devontae said sadly, slowly nodding.

Bruno gestured toward the door with a nod. “Go. Dethrone him.”

Taking a moment to apply healing items to the Pokéballs, Devontae advanced confidently through the doors into the Champion’s chamber. The room met him with a checkerboard tile floor of polished white marble and black basalt squares, each about fifteen centimetres on a side. A series of small statues lined the front of the platform on which Paddy waited. Each statue was the shape of each Pokémon type symbol as seen on their corresponding Z-crystal, with matching colour. Paddy was dressed mainly in white with red accents, and his school’s insignia over the left side of his chest and his ball cap. As Devontae strode up the stairs, Paddy shook his head with a knowing grin. Amused, he said, “Knew it would be a matter of when, not if, you’d come. Welcome! I’ll skip my introduction.”

“Yeah, we been through too much,” Devontae answered, foregoing proper grammar yet again. “But you’s doin’ the region wrong, brah!”

“Hey, my goal was to ensure the Indigo League’s trainers, even the newbies, are the strongest anywhere,” Paddy said self-satisfied.

“Nobody likes needing multiple HMs to get through any given route except the first few!” Devontae protested. “Hell, no one likes HMs at all! At least Alola was smart and did away with them!”

“Okay...,” Paddy said questioningly.

“And that going back and forth, and back and forth between Johto and Kanto, just to get the right badges to use the HMs and make one’s way around!?” Devontae continued. “And then all the centring efforts around Saffron and Goldenrod! Then there’s your perilous challenge at the remains of Cinnabar, and—”

“I got it!” Paddy grouched. “New trainers these days lack the patience and perseverance to truly be great!”

Devontae shot him an irritated glare. “Brah, it sounds like you don’t get it one bit.”

“No, that’s not what I’m lost on,” said Paddy, looking up. “What the hell are they doing here!?”

Twilight stepped forward. “Padraíg Meagher, we are here to claim a lost artifact that you and your brother used to enter Equestria. A golden statuette in the shape of a pony’s head, with a trio of large blue zircons in its mane which blacken one by one with each use.”

“Do you mean the idol? Sorry, it stays with me. I’ll not risk anyone repeating the whole incident,” Paddy said firmly.

“Which is exactly why it should come with us; we’ll burn out its last use on our way home,” Twilight answered with equal resolve.

Paddy stood with his head down for a moment, thumb and index finger upon his chin. Looking up, he nodded and said, “Can’t argue with that logic. But, as Champion, I am obligated to defend my title first. This whole mess between our worlds happening again is not acceptable.”

Trixie’s horn had been flickering. After she nodded once with eye contact, Twilight said, “Very well. We will wait.”

Paddy also nodded, then turned to Devontae and said, “Been awhile since you and I had a match. Are you still the consummate Fire-type specialist, even after Aengus entrusted his Pokémon to you?”

“Why don’t I show you instead?” Devontae responded with a grin.

{Who knows how many times these two have battled before? This time around, though, it really, really means something.}

Paddy smiled. “Exactly what I wanted to hear! Been awhile since I’ve use an Indigo-only team; should be fun! Gyarados!”

“Arcanine!”

A blue Chinese dragon and a dog-tiger cross with a happy smile materialised across from each other. Trixie sighed, “Trixie never understood what Pokémon loved so much about beating up and being beaten up.”

Rarity grumbled, “Just be thankful you weren’t forced to do it.”

“I still find it amazing how you learned so much evocation magic in such a short time!” Twilight beamed, to which Starlight suppressed a giggle.

“Gyarados, use Aqua Tail!”

Frowning, Devontae ordered, “Roar, Arcanine!”

Rarity scoffed, “Umph! ‘Roar!?’ With its priority penalty, now!?”

“Damn, forgot,” muttered Devontae as Paddy rolled back the sleeve on his right arm, squeezing the keystone on his wristwatch.

As the rotating beams of light surrounded both Paddy and his Gyarados, Twilight asked, “What’s going on there?”

“They call it ‘Mega Evolution,’” Rarity said. She began to explain how that worked as the ball burst from around the Gyarados, revealing it longer with red patches along its sides, and a black belly. Rarity sighed when she looked at its new form, commenting, “Ugh. How garish.”

“Countershading need not apply, I see,” Twilight muttered.

“More about this ‘Mega Evolution,’ please,” said Starlight.

As Rarity spoke quietly, Mega Gyarados whooshed in and slammed its drenched tail at Arcanine. Crouching, Arcanine braced for the attack, and flinched toward the left. Gyarados redirected the strike at the last moment, duped by the fake dodge, and missed. Arcanine then roared terribly loud, knocking Mega Gyarados back, and into its ball. Replacing it was a Porygon-Z.

Paddy grumbled, then shouted, “Conversion Z, Porygon-Z!”

“Switch out, Arcanine!” Devontae shouted, holding up his Pokéball. As Arcanine vanished, Devontae threw another ball, shouting, “Go, Mamoswine!”

A large brown pig with a blue face and huge tusks emerged from the ball. Paddy blinked for a moment, then said, “Inherited from my brother?”

“Actually, no,” Devontae answered with a grin. “Caught her momma in the Icy Path years ago, but traded with a multi-regional traveler and expert for her daddy a couple of days after returning from Equestria.”

Paddy gave a disbelieving stare. “You’d have to be on the ship back from Sinnoh then, ‘cuz even you aren’t daredevil enough to try crossing open ocean on an uncharted route twice.”

“You’re right,” answered Devontae with a smirk. “That’s where it happened.”

“I was on that ship, too.”

“Yes, you were.”

Putting his hands on his hips and shifting his weight, Paddy demanded, “With whom?”

“Red,” answered Devontae, trying not to laugh.

“Bollocks,” muttered Paddy, rolling his eyes. When Devontae looked him in the eye and shook his head with a smile. Paddy’s head jolted back as he blurted, “Seriously??”

“Mmmhmm,” hummed Devontae, nodding slowly and on the edge of laughing.

“Whatever,” grouched Paddy as he and his Porygon-Z danced in unison. Multicoloured light flashed, along with a few white squares over Porygon-Z. Then Paddy yelled, “Porygon-Z, use Shadow Ball!”

“Stealth Rock, Mamoswine!” Devontae answered.

The same old deathly purple sphere coalesced in front of Porygon-Z, jetting into Mamoswine, who winced and was driven back a step. Then Mamoswine acted like it meant to roar, but instead a few sharp chunks of rock appeared through the floor and floated there before disappearing. Twilight asked, “What was the point of that?”

“Entry hazard,” Rarity explained. “Those stones will come back the next time Paddy sends in another Pokémon.”

Starlight asked, “You mean, those rocks will hurt Paddy’s Pokémon, just for coming out to fight?”

“Exactly.”

“Strange ambush, being jabbed by rocks just for answering the call,” muttered Starlight, shaking her head.

Rarity shook her head too. “Around here they like to say ‘all’s fair in love and Pokémon battles.’”

Paddy pointed and yelled, “Again, Porygon-Z!”

Devontae instead held up a ball. “That’s good there, Mamoswine! Come back!”

As swap of Pokéballs, and before Devontae appeared a large yellow fox with nine tails. The light in the room turned harsh. Rarity said, “The aptly named ‘Ninetails.’ Another Fire-type.”

Twilight shook her head in discontent. “You really learned about this world in a short time, and remember so much of it despite not being here for months.” Then her eyes lit up. “Hey! Maybe we could write a book on the subject! You tell me what all you know and I can analyse it, and keep it all for posterity!”

The other three laughed. Starlight snickered, “There’s no stopping Twilight from being Twilight!”

“What’s that supposed to mean!?” Twilight protested.

“It’s just you, darling, being the way you are. We love you for it,” Rarity said with a smile, shaking her head. “But sure, I’ll keep the book idea in mind.”

“Ninetails, use Confuse Ray!” Devontae ordered.

Frowning, Paddy said, “Discharge!”

A wiggling ball of light wandered a serpentine path from Ninetails to Porygon-Z. As it struck, Porygon-Z’s eyes lost focus. Sparks gathered around Porygon-Z, drawing together into a combine burst, but instead of flying at Ninetails, it blew up there, knocking Porygon-Z to the ground. Trixie muttered, “Trixie is very happy she was never subjected to this.”

“No, you just had ‘something great and powerful’ give you a scandalously wonderful time!” Rarity spat.

Trixie openly laughed while Ninetails facepawed. “That, coming from you? Really now?! After how you kept all of Ponyville up at night for the first two weeks of your marriage?! Did you see how many foals had to have ‘the birds and the bees’ talk before they were truly old enough? Trixie lost count!”

Porygon-Z emitted some electronic noise, one that strongly suggested dismay and disgust. Rarity growled, “I thought we agreed never to speak of that again!”

You brought up the subject!” Trixie countered.

“Well, you are hardly in a position to criticise noise levels, aren’t you!? And while we’re all breaking promises,” Rarity snarked, “why don’t I go talk to your dad about what really went on in that Daycare, or how often your coltfriend stays with you overnight, hmm?!”

Trixie suddenly looked horrified. “You wouldn’t!!

“Oversharing...,” Devontae muttered, to much nodding from Paddy.

“What? It’s hardly a secret that Rarity and Trixie are both screamers. I could swear there are some nights they’re competing with each other,” Starlight grouched, rolling her eyes.

It’s goddamn oversharing!!” Devontae bellowed incredulously as Paddy angrily yanked his hat off his head as he spun away, dropping one arm to his side and the other hand upon its corresponding hip with an annoyed stomp.

Rarity fumed, turning red in the cheeks with the sort of face that might cause Rainbow Dash to scream if she looked angry. Trixie, however, could not shrink and hide enough, red in the cheeks from a different emotion. Horn glowing, Twilight put a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder and soothingly said, “Easy there. You know you can’t let your blood pressure get up like that right now. Just let the whole thing go.”

Rarity’s face lost its redness as she took some deep breaths. Twilight turned to Trixie. Intrigued, she lead in, “Neither you nor Starlight mentioned you have a coltfriend.”

Trixie nickered while still sloughing off the crimson from her cheeks. “Well, I do, but you don’t need to know all of Trixie’s business, do you? Is it a problem if Trixie would like some privacy with her private life?

Twilight backed off. Devontae dismissively waved off the ponies as he sighed and shook his head. Paddy nodded sympathetically, then wiped across his forehead before putting his hat back on. He sighed as well, then ordered, “Okay, Porygon-Z, try that again.”

“Ninetails, Flamethrower!” Devontae commanded.

Ninetails flicked her tails, hurling a stream of fire at Porygon-Z. As the blaze ended, Porygon-Z fell straight down, all its detached chunks falling away. It vanished in a flash of yellow sparks. Paddy frowned, then threw another ball, yelling “Go, Espeon!”

Rarity gasped and shrunk back. The fork-tailed malignant cat appeared, staring up at the stands, barely acknowledging the rocks that poked her upon appearing. Echoing in Rarity’s mind was the purring, yet livid voice, “Oh God, it’s that high-class hooker again! Well, no, not a hooker. Prostitutes receive a fee for services rendered, while you just shag whoever, wherever, whenever, all for free, just because...isn’t that right, you overweight, ugly, ignorant, c—” and used a single-syllable crass term that made Rarity look a little sick, “-dumpster!”

A moment later, Twilight, Starlight, and Trixie all gasped in unison, then Twilight gritted her teeth in anger, Starlight flushed and covered her mouth, and Trixie nickered, “Same Espeon....”

Rarity sighed and shook her head. “She telepathically insulted you too, I see. She has quite the potty-mouth.”

“Yeah...yeah she does. Geez...,” Twilight muttered, shaking her head.

Paddy facepalmed, muttering under his breath, “I can’t take you anywhere....”

“Whose fault is that? You trained her,” Devontae said flatly. “Use Confuse Ray!”

Paddy smirked, “True, I did. She may be mean, but so is her strike! Psychic!”

The red jewel on Espeon’s brow flashed. Reality distorted around Ninetails; she then suddenly sailed across the room and slammed into the far wall. There she broke into a swarm of pink sparks, going back to her Pokéball. Rarity shook her head while the other three stood agape. Looking at her three companions, Rarity explained, “She loves to best her opponents in that fashion.”

“Is Ninetails gonna be okay!?” gasped Starlight.

“Yeah,” Rarity said underwhelmed. “They go through this all the time.”

Trixie grouched, “Really, really glad he didn’t put me through all that.”

Rarity sighed. “That was the problem: Equestrian magic and Pokémon power most certainly are not the same. Pokémon moves can’t kill other Pokémon with extremely rare exceptions. They bash each other over and over, but never really hurt each other. But my magic injured them badly, and...and...well, you know about that fight with Koga’s team. If I had only known….”

“From what your husband said, it wasn’t just one. Something like ‘Star Rapper,’ or some such,” said Starlight.

Rarity huffed, “That’s ‘Staraptor,’ and life-and-death situations are a little different, don’t you think!?”

Scribbling madly in a small notebook, Twilight gleefully exclaimed, “Why didn’t I think to write about this sooner?”

“Arcanine!” Devontae cried out, throwing a ball. The loyal-faced striped tiger-dog returned. “Use Extreme Speed!”

“Do it again, Espeon!” order Paddy.

Arcanine rushed Espeon, striking three times. Espeon rolled over once and slid past Paddy a good four metres, before pushing herself back to her feet. She shook her head once, then yowled as she distorted reality again. Arcanine flew back even faster than Ninetails did, disappearing after cracking the wall. A few chunks of drywall fell to the floor. Espeon sneered as Devontae raised an eyebrow. Grumbling under his breath, he threw another ball, yelling, “Charizard!”

An orange winged lizard halfway between a dragon and a dinosaur in appearance materialised, immediately taking off. Paddy shook his head. “Since it’s still working, keep it going, Espeon.”

“Charizard, Flamethrower!” yelled Devontae, whipping out a money clip with a keystone attached. As he pressed it, the rotating light enveloped him and Charizard. The ball burst. Charizard looked similar, but with more pointed features, spines much more pronounced in places along his spinal ridge, and blade-like flaps on his arms.

Paddy shrugged as Espeon attacked, saying, “Huh. Didn’t think you’d take the less-popular path with him.”

Mega Charizard Y held, then spat fire back. Devontae said, “Are you kiddin’? A known Fire-type specialist, maintaining harsh sunlight?”

Espeon winced, toppled over, and faded back into her ball. Paddy shook his head in aggravation, and said, “I see your point. Then, Gyarados! Let’s try this again!”

Mega Gyarados returned, looking annoyed at the rocks that appeared just as he did. Mega Charizard Y sneered, then snarled. Devontae yelled, “Solar Beam!”

“Stone Edge, Gyarados!” Paddy countered.

As the light gathered around Mega Charizard Y, Rarity explained, “This move takes a turn to charge and fire.”

“Unless it’s in harsh sunlight!” Devontae cheered. A yellow beam rained out of the sky, hammering Mega Gyarados until it faded back to its ball.

“Fine. Nidoking!” Paddy yelled.

A semi-anthropomorphic horned lizard of a deep purple manifested, barely affected by the rocks that appeared. Devontae frowned, bobbing his head. “Damn, damn, damn...too many possible move sets...oh well, return Charizard!”

“Nidoking, Swagger, no matter what comes!” Paddy yelled.

Devontae sent out his Mamoswine again. As it became confused, Paddy snorted, “Ground against its Poison-type, or Ice against its Ground-type?”

“Makes sense,” said Rarity to herself.

“Whichever!” Devontae said. “Let’s go with Ground! Earthquake!”

“Assuming she doesn’t hurt herself...and...Nidoking, Sucker Punch!” Paddy answered.

“Uh-oh,” grumbles Devontae as a purple whoosh swung by Mamoswine twice, striking on the second pass. Mamoswine shook her head, reared up, and caused a tremor under herself. Mamoswine fell down, and faded back into her ball.

Devontae frowned. Then he chucked a ball, saying, “Remember this guy?”

Feraligatr came out, roaring. Paddy snarled, “You’d send my brother’s STARTER against me!?”

“Aengus received a near-perfect Totodile to begin his journey, and the guy fits in well,” Devontae said with a smile. Pointing, he ordered, “Hydro Vortex, buddy!”

“Nidoking, Poison Jab!”

Nidoking started punching away, fist coated in purple. Feraligatr shivered at the end of it, bearing a slight violet tinge. Then he and Devontae danced in unison a moment. Feraligatr gained a strange yellow glow. Rarity muttered, “Never did a Z-Move with Aengus...well, he didn’t have the things for it, either, I suppose. Still strange, watching it from him.”

The battlefield seemed to flood like a suddenly-filled swimming pool. Then Feraligatr surged forward like a jet-propelled torpedo, ramming Nidoking. There, an all-water tornado formed around Nidoking, buffeting him every which-way. As it ended, Nidoking was already back in his ball.

“You want to do starters, do you?” Paddy growled, rotating a Pokéball in his right hand. “Then go, Typhlosion!”

“What’s wrong?” Twilight asked Rarity, who was shaking his head.

Rarity sighed as the flaming badger appeared, clearly bothered by the rocks that came to harangue him. Then she said, “I’ve seen Paddy battle enough times. He likes to keep a move with each of his Pokémon that targets at least one of its weaknesses. And I’ve seen his Typhlosion out before. Since Water-type has an advantage over Fire-type, Paddy taught him Wild Charge, an Electric-type attack.”

Twilight discerned, “So...this Typhlosion has an advantage over Feraligatr?”

“He’s faster, and that same attack will pop his Charizard just as effectively!” Rarity griped.

Exactly,” said Paddy with a smile. “Do it, Typhlosion!”

Grimacing, Devontae called, “Hold fast, buddy, and use Hydro Cannon!”

Indeed Typhlosion did move first, coating himself in lightning. Rarity held her breath as Typhlosion closed ground, and recklessly slammed into Feraligatr. Feraligatr tumbled and rolled several times. He struggled to get up, but in failing, he gave Devontae a thumb's up before breaking into sparks. Rarity quietly squawked a sob as a few tears rolled down her face.

“Charizard, take two!” Devontae yelled, bringing Mega Charizard Y back out. “Use Focus Blast!”

“That’s too inaccurate...,” grouched Rarity, facehoofing.

Paddy sneered, “Again, Typhlosion!”

Focus Blast’s accuracy was a moot point as Typhlosion struck first again, using the same move to the same effect. Devontae grunted as Mega Charizard Y fell to the floor, and vanished into his Pokéball. Starlight whispered, “Guess we now get to see what’s in his final ball.”

Paddy smirked. “Typhlosion vs. Typhlosion now, isn’t it?”

“No,” Devontae countered. “My starter didn’t have very good potential.”

Rubbing at his forehead, Paddy said, “I know exactly what that feels like.”

“Red said this one’s his species’ paragon, stronger than any of his brethren,” Devontae said as he tossed the ball up much higher than usual. “The very guy you and your brother both overlooked.”

{Now it’s time for this one. Couldn’t leave it out, of course.}

The ball cracked open, and an unmistakable body shape came out: those curly ears, that short body with its very long tail...as it growled, “Rai....”

This one had no trace of a potbelly, but defined abs instead. Were he shaved of fur, he may very well have had a washboard belly. He was lean and toned all over, with musculature and definition visible even through his fur, at least to a point. His arms were more than stiff cylindrical attached knobs; his biceps, triceps, and forearms were obviously strong and ready. Yet despite the confident and determined look, his face remained just as adorable as the rest of his kind.

Paddy raised an eyebrow. “A physical Raichu?”

Raichu’s eyes flicked around; he eventually looked up to the spectator seats. Then he broke into a wide, kawaii smile, waving emphatically, as he cheerfully called out, “Rarity! Hii-i-i!! Good to see you outside of the box!”

Rarity immediately was a pile of tears. “Rai-i-ichu-u-u!! He’s finally go-o-ot his cha-a-ance!!” And she wailed.

Paddy raised both eyebrows this time. “What’s with her?”

Twilight stepped forward with an uneasy grimace. “See...she’s near the end of her first trimester, and her hormones—”

“Got it!” Paddy and Devontae hastily said in unison. Raichu turned back to face his opponent, all the determination returning. He put up his dukes, standing poised and set like a professional boxer.

You can do it, Raichu!!” Rarity called out between sobbing sessions.

“Raichu, Iron Tail!” Devontae yelled, pointing.

Paddy sighed, “Just...just end it, Typhlosion. Earthquake.”

Paddy had just finished that last syllable when Raichu was already on his Typhlosion, somersaulting through the air with his tail extended, grey like iron. Typhlosion had barely turned in time to see it coming before the blow landed on top of his head. He slammed against the ground, bounced once, and returned to the ball on the stunned Paddy’s belt. Raichu zipped back to his spot in front of Devontae, leaving no image of himself between, but only sparks.

Devontae smiled broadly. “Even Red said his Pikachu, holding a Light Ball, doesn’t have the Attack stat this little guy has!”

Paddy bared his teeth as his temple bulged. He roared, “Lulamoon!!

Green-eyed Trixie emerged from the ball, yelping quietly as the rocks dug into her. She looked different, enough so that she could not be mistaken for Trixie anymore. No longer did she have the large, Equestrian eyes, but hers were markedly smaller, much closer to an anatomically correct mundane horse. The entirety of her eyes, however, were green. She still wore a rendition of her mother’s hat and cape. Trixie turned away, sadly saying, “I can’t bear to look at her like that.”

“Lulamoon, use Tricks Up My Sleeve!” Paddy ordered.

Devontae roared, “Raichu, Thunder Wave!”

Lulamoon’s voice still sounded like Trixie as she sang, “You’d better believe I’ve got tricks up my sleeve....”

Confetti, lights, and smoke burst all around Raichu. Before they faded, a yellow pulse shot forth from the affected area, coating Lulamoon in a jagged wave of yellow light that formed half a sphere. As it ended, arcing electricity bounced across Lulamoon’s body. The smoke cleared. There, Raichu motioned toward himself to Lulamoon using one finger, as if to goad her to attack, before resuming his boxer’s stance.

“That didn’t drop him!?” Paddy ejaculated in a rage.

“Brah, what part of ‘he’s stronger than his brethren’ didn’t you understand?” laughed Devontae. “Raichu, use Swagger!”

“No mistakes this time! Earth Power, Lulamoon!” Paddy shouted.

Raichu strutted, flaunting his physique. Lulamoon grumbled about it while confusion set in. She charged her horn, blasting the ground. Three bursts shot soil upward, but nowhere near Raichu. Instead one of the bursts caught her in the chin, knocking her teeth together.

“Snap out of it, girl! Use this!” barked Paddy, reaching into his bag.

Devontae called out, “Iron Tail, Raichu! Give that Fairy-type what-for!”

As Paddy sprayed down Lulamoon, Starlight asked, “What’s he doing?”

“A spray-on medicine,” Rarity said, wiping up her tears. “That’s a ‘Full Restore.’ Basically puts Raichu back at square one.”

Trixie grumbled under her breath. However, once Paddy had used the item, Raichu landed the blow forcefully, knocking Lulamoon down and sending her tumbling. Raichu breathed a little easier as a bell on his collar, shaped like a bivavle’s shell, jingled a little. Lulamoon got up, grouching inaudibly. Paddy roared, “Enough’s enough! Earth Power!”

With a whoop, Devontae gleefully shouted, “Take her out, buddy! Volt Tackle!

Raaiiii...,” began Raichu as the electricity gathered around him. But Lulamoon’s horn was charged. She fired the pulse, causing the ground to burst...to no avail; Raichu had already moved. He was surrounded in blue electricity, zipping forward as said ground bursts happened behind him, screaming at the top of him lungs, “...CHHUUUUU!!!

Raichu and his orb of cyan lightning rammed into Lulamoon, taking her five metres into the air before slamming back to the floor. Raichu tumbled off haphazardly, slow to get up, and holding his left shoulder with his right paw. Lulamoon flailed once, tried to get back on her feet, then simply passed out, returning to her ball.

{Victorious!!}

Whooping, Devontae pumped both fists into the air, face up, eyes closed. He looked to Raichu, and opened his arms. Raichu ran and leapt into the awaiting hug, both laughing and crying in unison. Rarity herself was in hysteria, all mascara gone. Paddy looked disappointed, and that he could not believe what just happened, but not much more than that. He sighed, then walked over to Devontae, offering a handshake. “Congrats, you’re the new Indigo League Champion!”

Twilight had lowered herself and the other three ponies with her to the combat floor. Rarity was still crying her head off. Raichu jumped over to her, giving her a big hug next. While she was occupied there, Devontae wiped the tears from his eyes, and asked Twilight, “How’s little Spike holding on?”

Rarity interjected, “Oh, my little Spikey-Wikey has been ever so helpful, darling! He’s made sure my husband and I are never late for a checkup, that we have plenty of tea, and that we have no undue stress! His help has simply been divine!

“Ah,” said Devontae with a forced grin. He then lowered his voice and asked, “So, he’s not taken it well at all?”

Twilight sighed, “No. His depression’s been pretty bad.”

“You gotta be there for him, brah. He needs you, now more than ever,” Devontae said with a sympathetic shake of his head.

Meanwhile, Starlight and Trixie guardedly approached Paddy. He asked in suspicion, “Are you two gonna be peaceful this time?”

“Like the last two times, it depends on you,” Starlight growled. She held up a hoof as if to receive something, and demanded, “The statuette.”

“Yes, of course,” said Paddy in defeat. He opened his trainer’s bag, and withdrew the idol. The two scorched gems seemed to smolder in the presence of the ponies as he put it on her awaiting hoof. “Hate to let it go, and hate to admit it, but she’s right.”

As they turned to go, Trixie said irritably, “That’s the most annoying thing about her: she almost always is.”

Starlight lofted the idol with her magic, saying to Twilight, “We got it!”

“Okay!” Twilight said satisfied. “Well, Mr. Champion, we should be off. We meant this to be a one-day excursion, if possible.”

“I understand,” Devontae answered. Offering a handshake/hoofshake, he said, “Take care of yourselves. I’ll never forget you.”

Accepting the offered gesture, Twilight answered, “Definitely. May peace and friendship be with you all of your days.”

“You too.”

“Girls,” Twilight called. Rarity set down Raichu and came over. Twilight opened her saddlebag. Starlight placed the idol in it as Twilight charged her horn to a high degree. In a flash they were gone.

Paddy gestured toward the door while Raichu returned to his ball. Still sounding disappointed, and even in disbelief, he asked, “With all of the Elite Four stepping out, have you given any thought to whom you’ll tap?”

“I’ve heard there are several interested parties,” Devontae said. “Misty, Brock, Sabrina, Falkner, and Clair have all said as much. And, I’ve also heard Lorelei has returned to the region.”

And the doors to The Hall of Fame closed behind them.


{Things are on the mend.}

Twilight and her companions rematerialised in The Great Marsh, or what had been repaired of it. Roger Davidson was measuring moisture depth of the soil, which had not regained its old colour and scent. Davidson barked, “I thought we’d seen the last of you!”

Twilight started, “Sorry, Mr. Davidson, but we had to return—”

“For what!?” yelled Davidson.

When Twilight stared in timid shock, Starlight said, “To retrieve the artifact the Meagher brothers used to open the portal, so that no one can accidentally open it again.”

Good. Just don’t let the portal hit you on the way out,” Davidson snidely answered.

{Let him have a proper adieu.}

“Princess Twilight! I thought that was you I felt!”

All four ponies and Mr. Davidson turned to the west. Slowly walking up to them was Keldeo. Twilight cordially nodded and said, “Ah, Keldeo! Have you been well?”

“You look like you feel much better,” Rarity said.

Keldeo stopped within a hoof’s reach. Calmly he said in plain human speech, “Yes...yes, I do. You were right, Your Highness. I had lost myself. And meeting up with my uncles helped me turn it around.”

“How did you ‘turn it around?’ What have you been doing?” asked Twilight.

Davidson had set down his tools and walked over to them. Keldeo gestured lightly as he said, “I still have a serious problem with humans that abuse their Pokémon, so that’s what I’ve been working on.”

“Hunting them down, and laying them waste?” Rarity asked with some bile.

Shaking his head, Keldeo gently said, “In honesty I’ve been tempted to do just that. But no. I’ve tipped off legal authorities where I could, usually anonymously. Other times I’ve lead a cop on the beat to where it was happening, and had a number caught in the act. A few times, especially near the beginning, I simply kicked in a door, so that the humans outside could see what was happening inside. I’d rather not go that route, but if it comes to it, I will. All of this has been much easier to pursue after Wally dethroned Blue for the World Championship. That was about a month after you guys left.”

“Wally, huh?” asked Trixie with a skeptical eyebrow.

Davidson said, “Kid from Hoenn. His heart’s in the right place, and it shows with his policies.”

“About Aengus’s age, maybe a year or two older,” said Keldeo. “But he’s right. Wally’s off to a great start.”

Rarity smiled, and asked, “No more blanket accusations, against all humans?”

“No. Not anymore,” Keldeo said.

Rarity walked up to Keldeo and pulled him into a hug. He blinked in confusion a few times, then asked, “Um...what?”

“I’m so happy you’re moving on in the right way,” Rarity said at ease. “And I forgot to thank you, for your help in getting me home.”

Keldeo then returned the hug. “I’m sorry about how I acted. I wasn’t in the right space then.”

“All is forgiven,” Rarity said earnestly. “We’ve let it go.”

“So Rapidash left with you, huh?” Keldeo said with a smile as they released each other.

“Yes, though after becoming fully pony, my husband took the legal name ‘Rapid Dash,’ to both fit in and to not discard his origins,” Rarity answered.

“Speaking of, Mrs. Dash, we need to get home,” Twilight said jokingly.

Rarity hugged Keldeo again before joining her companions as Twilight opened the saddlebag. Rarity said, “Still can’t believe even you can teleport all of us that distance!”

“This place has been burned into my mind, just as the Indigo League Building is with you. I might not have needed the return rods,” Twilight answered as she tapped the last bright blue gem. It broke, smoldering into a black mass as the portal popped open in front of them. All four stepped through, and a second later, it slammed shut.

{A heart has finally started to mend.}

Davidson and Keldeo caught each other staring. An awkward silence resulted. Half a minute went on by before Davidson said, “So, uh, you’re into helping other Pokémon, them that’s been abused?”

“Yeah,” said Keldeo cautiously. “That’s right.”

More awkward silence. Then Davidson said, “Well...what about them that’s had their home wrecked by two titans brawlin’?”

“You mean Omega Mewtwo and Princess Luna?” Keldeo said with a poker face.

Davidson gestured at all the craters and smashed trees around them. “Yeah, those would be they. Just look at this place!”

Keldeo took a step toward Davidson and gently, yet firmly, said, “The way Zekrom and Reshiram described it to me, Omega Mewtwo would have killed us all if Princess Luna had not been victorious. I don’t like how she did it, but still, she saved us all.”

“Suppose I’ll have to give you that,” Davidson grumbled, shaking his head.

Keldeo shrugged, doing what he could to mask his suspicion and distrust. With the start of a smile, asked, “Do you need some help?”

“Wouldn’t object, if I can find use for you,” Davidson answered, scratching his chin. “What type are you?”

“Water/Fighting.”

“Oh!” said Davidson in sudden delight. “That’s about perfect!

Keldeo smiled genuinely, casting away his wariness piece by piece, albeit slowly. Nodding, he stood beside Davidson, and said, “Lead the way.”

{We shall leave it here.}

Author's Note:

So...who else sang along at the one suggested track? :raritywink::pinkiehappy:

I figure this is where I should leave it at. Things are starting to get better in the Pokémon world. Not sure what Blue is doing these days, nor do I think it much matters in this context. I think the same can be said about Trixie’s (Very) Special Somepony; I never decided on whom the unlucky guy should be.

And there we have it! :twilightsmile: It’s been fun, you guys. Thanks so much for reading.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 12 )

So much change is happening. And most of it is for the good at least. There are still some lows, like Spike... I hope he can recover man. Pining aren't healthy. And of course Davidson is still a bit of a jerk. A better one than before but still one.

Trixie's reaction to Lulamoon's change was a nice touch though. It's easy to overlook those little details, about how decisions can affect those close to you. I'm also impressed with the fact that Trixie respects Lulamoon's choice. She doesn't like it, but she respects it. I really want to know who her colt friend is. Maybe Big Mac or Trouble Shoes...

And Damn Raichu, do you even lift? :rainbowlaugh: Him Iron Tailing Typhlosion is an hilarious mental image though.

Back on Spike... their might be hope for him with Ember though... I just don't wanna him to stay broken hearted...

Congratulation for completing your story, here is your diploma [insert story diploma here]

(example of diploma just change Player to Author and Pokedex to Story.)
img0.etsystatic.com/024/0/7786186/il_570xN.510217078_1hhq.jpg

But really congrats for completing your story and finishing loose ends. I forgot all about that Riachu and now Riachu is a champion Pokemon. :pinkiehappy:

Nice clean up in Aisle Padraig, but really, after teh first night, which couldve been explained away as Ursa Major going crazy after a nest of Manticores thretented her Ursa Minor, Twilight would have cast either extreme sound deadening spells or even a dshift shield to let everyone else sleep?

Go Raichu. Im terrible at moves so for a high physical I wouldve gone with Brick Break, what with effective against Ground types and shielding etc. If it was possible. Then again theres lots of really strange match up appeared over teh years.

Wonder how long before tehy find out that having the Great Marsh get Meteor strike, greatly expands the number of sub enviroments and even more expands the mix and combinations of enviroments also, leading to even more types of Pokemon finding ideal places and elading to new and unsusual blends, colours and move combos.

If the idols gems were used to make a return portal, how did Twilight get it to make only a one way portal that last trip?

8287988
the only thing that ever countered discord magic was whatever chrysalis's throne was made of(we never learn what 's called}) other the that, nothing stopped his magic, tirek probably could've been taken down easy if he hadn't tricked discord, then theres also the rainbow power, and the elements are still technically still around, so elements+rainbow power, yeah, that and if things get despite the princesses can send all their magic to twilight again and she'd go dbz on everyone

So the old guard is gone with Patty's defeat. Good maybe Dovontea will do better.

Roger Davidson may your efforts to fix the Great Marsh succeed. As for his attitude related to the ponies this is the best they could expect from him after all the stupidity that masqueraded diplomacy was done. The removal of Blue was also a must he was a poor leader.

On to the story over all the fact so many of us could stay engaged and felt drawn in to pick sides is proof of how good this was. Will thumb up.

8291989
Maybe Spike will get with Ember? Who’s to say? Still don’t know who’s Trixie’s boy...maybe there’s a male zebra somewhere nearby, ‘cuz as she said at the Daycare, “Once you’ve had stripes....”

Gotta love that Raichu. Species paragon and all that jazz. That’d be an interesting mechanic to work into Gen-VIII, that occasionally you’ll find one with unusually high stats, apart from Legendaries, Psuedo-Legendaries, and Mythicals.

8292654
Erm...Brick Break’s a Fighting-type attack, which are super effective vs. Rock-type, not Ground-type. Raichu can learn Grass Knot, but that’s special damage, not physical.
And Twilight didn’t make the portal one-way. She just cast the portal-closing spell once all four of them were through.
The marsh would eventually return to normal, since that’s how erosion works, depositing stuff downstream and all that rot. Davidson’s trying to get it back sooner rather than years (possibly hundreds or thousands) later. Change is constant; people tend to forget that, and that species will come and go depending on current circumstances.

8296720
I expect Wally will do better as World Champ, given the difference between his and Blue’s attitudes.
Brock would just be nuts as an Elite Four member, with all the weaknesses Rock-type comes with. They aren’t in the Elite Four anywhere else in the world, are they? Given what Rock-types are native to the Indigo League’s domain (Kanto and Johto) at top evolutions, I could see his team as, Golem, Kabutops, Omastar, Rhyperior, Aerodactyl, and Tyranitar as his six-member team.

Although Paddy deserved far worse and I was disapointed to see he didnt get his cummupence this story was still fantastic and deserves far more praise then its received.
Truly wonderful my freind. I look forward to reading what else you have to offer.

Nice end. Though I know this is the game world, I can't help thinking of what would happen if they meet Ash and his Pikachu. What's the judgement on that? "I declare this Pikachu BROKE AS HELL!"

9005100

I don't think its worth going back. Most of them still work anyway

9005752
No, most of them don't.

8107688
(I know that this comment and story very old but i need to get this off my chest. If you wanna reply feel free.)

Agreed. Every character in this story is a goddamn idiot. It's frustrating. At first i was getting sucked into it but the further i went into it, the more i was pushed out. The only characters with any redeeming qualities here were rarity, trixie, twilight, the guy in charge of the saffari zone and red. Everyone else was too caught up in their own egos and bullshit to function. The legendaries didn't do jackshit till mewtwo showed up (you'd think at least one of them would have something to say about the bulllshit shut luna pulled with the moon). And it felt like no one who was supposed to knew dick about deplomacy, ESPECIALLY LUNA! (Still not over that shit with the moon) It also felt like a "ponies rule, humans drool" type story, yet it fails because there are only a few people from either side in this story who aren't assholes! And let's not forget about how celestia and cynthia, characters both know for being cool and calm under pressure were made into paranoid wusses, especially cynthia.

Another gripe was the whole ponies > pokemon thing this story had going on. I'll admit this next part is more of an opinion than anything, but i think it would have made more sense for power scaling to have gone like this: ponies > regular pokemon, ponies = legendary pokemon, ponies < Arceus and Creation trio (Dialga, Palkia and Giratina) with big daddy A and the trio not even caring enough to show up.

I also think the story leans way to much into the video game aspect of pokemon without going into even its surface level lore.

The vision Luna showed Trixie's kid feels like some bullshit she made up to get her way.

And finally, Paddy practically got away pretty much scottfree and that's just unsatisfying.

Aengus deserved better his death was pointless and only happened for shock value and then you replaced him with devonte last minute. I liked this story at first but by the end of it I was just really pissed off with hiwnyou nerfed the Pokemon. I have to say this is the worst fuc I read( where Trixie is an important character which isn't much). I think this needs a remake. This story reminds me of shouldn't have enslaved humanity with the flaws of the story.

Login or register to comment