• ...
27
 547
 3,428

PreviousChapters Next
13 - Identity Crisis Over Tequila

{Somepony’s not coping well with an uncomfortable reveal}

Rarity leaned on the starboard railing near the stern of the SS Sakura next to one of the poolside tables, with its associated chair tipped over and shunted aside several metres. She stared out into the deep dark of the night over the ocean with a square-bodied bottle in her telekinetic grip. Her mane was a flattened, frizzy, tangled mess, and her tail wasn’t much better. On the northern horizon was the glow, shape, and shadow of Hotel Grand Lake. A ways left of that were some dancing lights against the sky in the shape of Twilight’s cutie mark. Rarity pressed the bottle to her lips and took its last few gulps of the amber liquid. After sucking on air, she set the emptied bottle on the table next to another empty bottle, and opened a third. She briefly looked over the yellow label with its red seal, shrugged, and took another gulp. As her eyes looked back at Twilight’s projection of her cutie mark, Rarity slurred her words with marked gaps between her sentences. “Daahling, I see it. I see you thairre. I’m over here, Twilight! I’m over here.”

She smacked her lips together a few times, and lazily blinked. A passing elderly couple gave her the stink eye, but walked along. She continued staring northward, oblivious to their passing and derision. Rarity continued in the same tone, “Do you wanna come play? I’m sure we’ll have a fun battle! I doubt we’ll hold long, but maybe you can join our team! What kind of ball would you like to be in? I heard there’s a ‘Luxury Ball.’ Why couldn’t I get in one of those?”

“I thought I heard you,” said a girlish voice. Rarity turned and saw Doyel standing there with her hands on her hips and shaking her head. She had a small purse over her left shoulder that was a near-perfect match to her sari.

“Heya,” Rarity began as Doyel walked up to her, still with lapses in her grammar. “How you doing, daahling? Come to see thisss Pokémon get ‘ossified,’ as my trainer likes to say?”

Doyel frowned at the change in identity. She said, “Please not this again, Rarity...you’re not a Pokémon.”

“But I ammm,” Rarity said, taking another sip. “I am a Pokémon. You heard Paddy; you were right thairre! How can I argue against that?”

“Because you’re not one! You know too many moves to be a Pokémon! You yourself said earlier you’re an ‘Equestrian pony;’ that’s no Pokémon anyone’s ever heard of,” Doyel protested. She began walking up to Rarity, but stopped as her eyes drifted toward the empties on the table. “How many have you...whoa. Dang...you’re totally hammered, aren’t you?”

Rarity had a small burp. She looked out over the water again, and said, “Still doesn’t...doesn’t...what’s the damn word...counter! It doesn’t counter his point.”

“So he bred the original Trixie with his Zebstrika, and got a number of eggs from them! So what?!” Doyel grouched, throwing her hands in the air.

“Viable offspring!” Rarity yelled as she stumbled. Righting her balance, she unevenly continued, “You can’t get offspring that can breed again if you cross species, except with us Pokémon!”

Doyel scoffed, “I still maintain my point from earlier: Pokémon cross-species breed all the time; who’s to say they can’t mix with an Equestrian pony?”

Rarity toddled again. “The eggs, Doyel. The eggs. She would have been knocked up if we weren’t Pokémon; she instead laid eggs. You saw his photos of all those...those...blank flanks! Dammit, how the hell did that bitch get laid before me?”

“Yeah, his little ‘Twixies.’ Pokémon eggs always hatch as the mother species’ bottom-most stage of evolution,” Doyel muttered, with her fingers in air quotes where expected. “Even though he got a ‘Twixie’ to evolve into a so-called ‘Trixie,’ it still doesn’t refute my point.”

“There’s no doubt the father is a Pokémon, but the whore, I mean, mother? If we weren’t Pokémon, she’d be pregnant...that is, if we could cross-breed at all. She would not lay eggs. That’s what I can’t get around,” Rarity sighed, taking another gulp.

Doyel scoffed and marched up to Rarity. She barked, “Holy cow, girl, you’re driving me nuts! Give me that!”

Rarity irritably beatboxed as Doyel snatched the bottle, “Tch-mm-puh-kaa! What do you think you’re doing? You can’t have that!”

“International waters; there are no drinking age laws here. And I hear it takes the edge off,” Doyel said flatly as she raised the bottle. She took two swallows before reeling and almost throwing up. With her tongue out and her face revolted, she exclaimed, “Eeeuuggh!! Baap re baap, that’s nasty! What is this??”

“The barman called it ‘tequila,’” Rarity said, resuming telekinetic hold of the bottle.

Doyel spat over the railing and into the ocean. She reached into her purse, pulled out some gum, and popped it in her mouth as she said, “I don’t know how you stand the taste.”

Rarity took another gulp and said, “It’s...I don’t know. It is pretty bad. But I stopped caring halfway through the first bottle.”

“Ach! You’re all-but legless, I see,” said Aengus as he walked up. “You’ll be in bits in the morning, you will.”

“So what? Everything, everything I thought I knew was a lie. Just coming to grips that I’m a Pokémon,” Rarity grumbled as she raised the bottle again, but Aengus grabbed it before it reached her lips.

“No. You’ve already had too much,” he ordered firmly. Rarity looked up at him with tears welling up in her eyes. He continued, “And no, you’re not a Pokémon. You’re...well, something completely different. I may be reaching, but it looks to me that your magic is close enough to a Pokémon’s energy that the balls can’t tell the difference.”

Rarity began, “But—”

“Stop,” Aengus said. “I’ve heard enough of this argument for one day, or even for the whole year. Right now, to bed with ye.”

“Okay...just...just put me back in the ball,” Rarity sighed.

“No,” said Aengus. “You’ll just use the replicator you talked about in there to hit more bottles. Back to the suite, and go to bed.”

“But Paddy will be there,” Rarity began.

“Not there. He’s with Rajni right now,” Doyel said, rolling her eyes. “Asked me to put the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door on my way out.”

Rarity dismissively waved a hoof. Aengus rolled his eyes too. “I was wondering what you were doing out this late; it’ll be dawn in a few hours.”

Rarity said, “I guess he—”

“Bed!” Aengus cut her off. Rarity’s head drooped as she staggered away in a not-at-all straight line. As the pony stumbled through the doorway, Doyel and Aengus looked at each other. Aengus turned toward the ship’s aft, watching the churning water below. He grumbled, “He really got to her, put it in her head she’s something she isn’t. I didn’t think she actually believed him, until now.”

{What do you do with a drunken pony early in the morning?}

Doyel said, “If you don’t mind me saying so, your brother’s an asshole.”

Aengus sighed and nodded. He turned to her with a saddened smirk and said, “Coming from the lass that pushed for them to get together?”

“That was before I got to know him at all,” Doyel retorted.

“Ah,” Aengus said. “And I can’t disagree with you, sad to say. He’s been a right foul git since he was accepted at university, and he’s steadily gotten worse.”

“I believe you. Then he and my sister thought on the day they met they should go and...can’t believe her. At least he bought her dinner first,” she quipped.

“Well then, will miracles never cease,” Aengus said sardonically.

“By the way, I’ve been wondering,” Doyel began, “where is the original Trixie?”

“Released,” said Aengus. “Paddy dumped her off before even setting foot out of the Sinnoh Daycare.”

Doyel’s face shone a glimmer of hope. “Does that mean she’s home in Equestria?”

Aengus shook his head in aggravation. Doyel scowled at the water below in response as he lamented, “Were it that simple, lass. Were it that simple. I’ve had no hand in any of the PokéComputer networks, and have no idea where they release unwanted Pokémon back into the wild, just that it’s not that close to where the release order came from. She’s somewhere in Sinnoh, but I can’t guess where.”

“Why haven’t you told Rarity that!?” scoffed Doyel.

“Paddy needs to own up to what he’s done; I shouldn’t have to rat him out. I keep expecting he’s man enough, because he’s done so before with his peers,” Aengus grumbled. “But today made it clear he never respected Rarity, and never will. He just sees her as another Pokémon, admittedly smarter than most, maybe even sentient, but nonetheless just a Pokémon in his eyes. He barely considers Pokémon above common animals, let alone on the same level as people.”

“But he’s going to university, to study Pokémon, with that attitude? Really?” Doyel grouched with a snort, eyes demanding explanation.

Aengus nodded in concession. “You’re right. Really says where he stands, doesn’t it? Guess it looks like he’s not man enough. Guess it falls to me after all. I’ll have to talk to her about it later, once Paddy has left for his studies. Mom might call him ‘a bleeding thick’ for how he’s behaved, but that bleedin’ thick is our flesh-and-blood. I can’t let Rarity beat the ever-lovin’ shite out of m’ own brother over this, or possibly kill him. That’s my job.”

Doyel snorted and shook her head. “He doesn’t really love any of his Pokémon, does he?”

Aengus said, “Indeed, but he sure gets angry, and quickly, if they screw up.”

Doyel also watched the water below. “Seems you’ve been angry yourself.”

“Perceptive, aren’t you?” Aengus said. He sighed as he watched the ocean’s horizon. “I’ve been mad, all right. I was mad the day they took my dad away, mad the land of my birth is still ruled by a foreign king, mad at all the times me and mine got the short end of the stick, mad that it seems every time I try to help my family somebody else throws it back in my face how hard up we’ve been, and lately, mad at how Paddy’s carrying himself. Getting tired of being angry all the time. I know I can be a better person than I’ve been, and it’s been eating at me as of late.”

“Rarity, right?”

“Aye. That little pony has a way with people. You wouldn’t think it of somebody as prissy and snooty as she can get, especially when it comes to finery, but she’s selfless. She’s designing outfits for some of my Pokémon, just because. And she took my measurements this morning so she can make a ‘dapper suit’ for me once she has the material. Gave up what she wanted to try at lunch to a stranger because it was the last one and he wanted it too. Did it with a smile on her face, a genuine smile,” Aengus said.

“Wow,” breathed Doyel.

“Helped a mother who had three little rascals who wouldn’t listen. Hugged the one that just wanted to be held while she brushed the older boy’s hair, so that their mum could redress the youngest,” Aengus said, shaking his head.

“Redress?”

“Haven’t been around many toddlers, have you?” Aengus asked with a knowing grin.

Doyel facepalmed. “Oh. That phase.”

Aengus said, “And Rarity refused compensation for it.”

“Huh. She really is something,” Doyel said.

Aengus said, “That she is. Makes me feel terrible that I caught her and trained her to do something completely against her nature.”

Doyel said, “Sounds to me like you should apologise to her once she’s sober, and tell her the truth. All of it, both your part, and Paddy’s. If just seeing what she does and how she behaves is enough to make you want to be a better man, she ought to know, and deserves to know. And then be that better person. If you feel yourself getting angry or doing something you ought not, ask yourself what would she do instead, and do it.”

“Yeah,” said Aengus. He turned for the door. “I should check on her, and make sure she actually went to bed and not back to the pub. I’ll try to do what you said.”

Doyel huffed and crossed her arms. “You’ll only ‘try’ to be a better person?”

“I meant, try to apologise,” said Aengus as he looked back for a brief moment. “It’s a bit harder for men.”


{This is what you do with a drunken pony, sailor, or anybody/anypony else early in the morning}

The LED in the door turned green as Aengus removed his card key. The suite was dark as he opened the door. Aengus turned left and went into his room. He flipped on a single lamp and left the other four dark. Rarity had passed out on the closer of the two queen-sized beds. In her hooves was another bottle of tequila with a quarter of it already consumed. Aengus blinked at the scene and blurted, “Damn, you really can hold your liquor.”

Aengus took the tequila and locked it in the cabinet. He picked up his satchel from between the beds and opened the main pouch. After a moment of digging, he pulled out a peachy-coloured spray bottle with a white nozzle and trigger. He pointed it at her and pulled the trigger, covering her in a clear mist. She seemed to glow green for a moment, and the clear mist faded away. He shook his head at Rarity. Aengus sat down on the edge of the bed. Gently petting her along her neck before settling on scratching her behind the ears, he whispered, “That should prevent any real harm from drinking that much, but waking up will still be unkind. I’ll try to be quiet and keep the blinds shut, and maybe find something to dull the coming headache.”

Aengus looked over at the closet. Getting up, he opened it and pulled out two spare blankets. He unfolded them both and laid them over Rarity. Gently he lifted her head and slid one of the pillows underneath. He sat down next to her as before, tucking the blankets under her nose. Aengus cracked a fatherly smile as he stroked her across the top of her head. He said, “I still can’t believe he convinced you that you’re a Pokémon. We’ll just have to get that out of your head, and make you right as rain again, lass. Whether by stroke of luck, stroke of genius, or good old-fashioned perseverance, we’ll get you out of this funk. I promise.”

Author's Note:

Paddy's a real charmer, ain't he? :trixieshiftright: Thought approaching a clearing of the air at a different angle was a better way to do it. Not to mention, there are times that writing Paddy can be infuriating, because I keep finding him becoming a worse and worse human being on me. I wasn't intending for him to be well-liked, yet his descent into becoming a right-royal scumbag happened quicker than expected.

Thus the air has been cleared somewhat. Most of that had sufficient hints dropped prior to now that this is what had happened, especially in regards to Trixie. I could only ever guess where released Pokémon end up. The thought's crossed m' mind that it may be something far darker that happens to them, that the data on the PC is simply erased and go poof into the Ether, gone, naught but a memory. :twilightoops: I suppose we really can't go erasing Trixie....

I suppose many would turn to the bottle if thrown into that kind of mental shock which Rarity's currently facing. Poor girl. Got to see much more bluntly what she actually thinks. Some have commented to me that "alcohol brings out the truth." Perhaps it does to a certain point, because parts of the brain disengage, including the filter, and Aengus using an Antidote won’t stop that. Don't drink before giving a toast at a wedding reception, especially if you're the Best Man or Maid/Matron of Honour. By the same token, don't let your Best Man or Maid/Matron of Honour knock a few back before the reception gets underway; grandma may learn more about you than she's comfortable hearing in public. :pinkiegasp: Not a problem I had when m' wife and I tied the knot. :pinkiehappy:

Secondary classic rock reference...do I even need to say it?

I suppose Aengus's lines gave folks something else to consider. Landfall in Johto next time. Hope everybody has a happy holiday, whichever one you're celebrating. :twilightsmile: As always, thanks for reading.

PreviousChapters Next