• ...
27
 547
 3,428

PreviousChapters Next
32 - Bad News

{Not a talk I would enjoy giving.}

Devontae dismounted outside the Goldenrod Pokémon Centre, staring downward. He choked back on tears as he started north, turning east some minutes later at the next major thoroughfare. Following a path etched forever in his mind from countless repetitions, he entered one particular apartment building, and up he went to the eighth floor. On the elevator, he called out Feraligatr, who still had a tear-streaked face. The Pokémon looked up at him. Devontae said, “I thought you’d want to be out for this talk.”

Feraligatr nodded sadly and looked down as his eyes’ leaking picked up. The elevator dinged. Out they stepped, trudging past five doors before stopping. Devontae reached out, but broke down before he could start knocking. Feraligatr, too, sobbed, as Devontae managed to rap on the door twice. A moment later, Mrs. Meagher opened it up. She raised an eyebrow as she asked, “Devontae?? What’s the matter, laddie?”

Wiping his eyes, Devontae solemnly began, “I...you might want to sit down, ma’am...I’ve got some bad news....”


{The chase is on.}

Keldeo dashed up a small rise with Rapidash right behind him. Both were moving at rates unsafe for such uneven terrain. Rarity clung to Rapidash’s back while her mascara ran down her face from her tears. Rapidash, too, was misty-eyed. Behind them zipped five Crobats, not slowed whatsoever by the terrain as they flew over branches and brush, around trees and rocks, and under the forest canopy. The trio continued down the other side of the hill with their pursuers gaining ground. Keldeo yelled back, “Rarity! Get yourself together, will you!? This is hardly the time to bawl your eyes out!”

“But Aengus—” Rarity began.

“It’ll be us next!” Keldeo hollered, interrupting. “You two can have a moment for your grief if we can get them off our tail for a few minutes! But it cannot happen if your sobs give away our position!”

Rarity charged up her horn. Amid the crying she discharged ice blasts, over and over. Several times she struck one or more of Crobats, but it did little but delay them a few seconds; her gemstone swarm amounted to a rinse and repeat. Rarity’s sobs stopped as she blinked. She turned and shouted to Keldeo, “They are much stronger this time, than the Crobat we faced at the League!”

“Isn’t that just friggin’ spectacular!” Keldeo grumped as sarcastically as he could. “Just like his great-grandfather, kept his true A-team hidden!”

Rapidash’s ears perked up. “How would you know that?”

“Not the time! The Ruins of Alph are coming up! We can lose them there!” Keldeo answered.

Rapidash muttered, “Hope you like Unown, babe.”

They burst through an east-west line of trees into a rectangular clearing, full of decrepit adobe buildings with south-facing doors; some were sealed. As Keldeo started for the closest one, leaping over a small ledge, Rarity asked, “What kind of Pokémon is that?”

“Weirdly shaped, like some foreign alphabet,” Rapidash said. “Pathetically weak on their own, but get a large group of them together, and some pretty strange powers emerge.”

“We might see one, but that should be it!” Keldeo answered as they rushed inside. Keldeo pulled Rapidash toward the right-side corner as soon as they both were inside. He harshly whispered, “On my signal.”

Three Crobats swooped in. One had turned toward the trio, but could not halt its movements anywhere near enough to keep from crashing. As it tumbled down in a daze, a fourth hovered at the entrance. Keldeo yelled, “Now!

Keldeo and Rapidash charged through the door, knocking the fourth Crobat’s left wings into the doorjamb, who as such could not remain airborne. As it tumbled down, Keldeo turned back, firing two hard blasts of water into each close corner of the adobe building. The mud bricks gave way, knocking the building over. The Crobat at the entrance struggled at the bricks on its wings, edging millimetre by millimetre towards freedom. Muffled profanity grumbled under the debris as slow upheaval started among the bricks. Keldeo turned around to see Rapidash had come to a dead stop: the fifth Crobat blocked forward progress. Keldeo walked up beside him. Crobat sneered, “You want through? Come get some!”

Keldeo turned to Rarity and said, “You give the orders. Rapidash is used to that, and I struggle against flyers. Especially these guys. Just don’t ask for my Secret Sword; it’s not worth much against a Crobat.”

Rarity laughed nervously. She spurted, “I’m the trainer now!? What am I supposed to do?!”

“Deal with a Poison/Flying-type, three-on-one, where the one is much stronger than any of the three alone,” Keldeo said flatly. “I know Hydro Pump, Secret Sword, Work Up, and Stone Edge.”

Rarity dismounted, muttering to herself, “Keep calm, don’t swoon, keep calm, don’t swoon.”

“Orders?” Rapidash asked. The Crobat’s eyes kept darting between them.

Rarity heaved an overwhelmed sigh. Then with a huff her expression hardened, as did her voice. “Keldeo, Work Up! Rapidash, Wild Charge! I have something for him, too....”

Crobat zipped in at Rapidash, slashing with both wings in a downward x-pattern with purple bubbles trailing behind. Rapidash slammed against the ground and bounced once. With effort he pushed himself back to standing, though his eyes were out of focus for a moment. Keldeo twitched and glowed yellow as a red haze briefly appeared over his back. Rapidash shook his head, then cantered at Crobat with sparks surrounding him. Crobat crouched in the air as he hovered, and dodged to the left. Rapidash had jumped straight at where he was, missing his mark. Rarity, however had an overcharged horn ready to go, and cast the frigid attack she used against green-eyed Trixie, similarly leaving a near-halfpipe of ice tendrils and shards. Crobat shook it off and eyed them again.

“Keldeo, Stone Edge! Rapidash, try it again!” Rarity ordered.

She had barely finished speaking when Crobat launched himself at her. In the nick of time she erected a shield before he hit with the same attack, leaving her magical barrier gashed and bent inward, driving her back a couple of metres, but still holding. Keldeo stomped, and a spike monolith came up from the ground, jabbing Crobat from below. He grunted, and again as Rapidash’s attack struck true.

Rarity clenched her teeth. Her eyes flicked to Keldeo briefly, and firmly said, “You owe me a few answers once we’re away from these things!”

A brick rolled down the debris pile, and part of a purple wing stuck out. Keldeo hastily answered, “Better make sure we’re away first! Those others are starting to get out!”

Rarity grumbled to herself, “Never dreamed I’d learn so much evocation magic. Desperate times, and all that jazz.”

Crobat sneered, “My associates are nearly free! Give up now, and we shall ease your passing painlessly! If not, well...we’ll have some nifty little games to try!”

I’ll destroy you!” Rarity cried suddenly. “Again, you two!”

“Uh-huh,” Crobat said dismissively as he flew up high. Rarity’s horn grew a secondary aura, spitting sparks.

Keldeo’s rock spike was nowhere near high enough to hit the Crobat. Rapidash made a valiant leap, but could not jump above the lower branches, while Crobat hovered above the canopy. Rarity fired a ray into the ground, which cracked and shook slightly. Her horn retained its charge. Crobat grunted in disappointment. Another several bricks rolled from the pile as Crobat tucked into a dive.

Keldeo pressed, “Uh, Rarity?! Orders??”

“Stand back!” she answered.

Crobat screamed toward Keldeo, who backed up, looking upward. Less than a second before impact, a quartz javelin as large as a freight cart erupted from the soil in front of Keldeo, slamming into and shattering against Crobat while Rarity hollered in effort. Crobat’s forward momentum had reduced to zero. He hung in the air briefly before gravity took over, and he collapsed to the dirt. Crobat disintegrated into a string of pink sparks that rocketed away to the east-by-northeast and out of sight.

Keldeo started for the trees, yelling, “Hurry!”

Rarity and Rapidash were right behind. More bricks tumbled away as the Crobat at the door’s remains wiggled loose and popped back into the air. A moment later a landslide of broken adobe rolling down the pile as one, two, three more Crobats pulled themselves free. The trio ducked into the woodland as the four Crobats left resumed their pursuit. Barely any distance into the forest, they hopped off a cut bank from a small run. Keldeo ducked beneath a fallen tree and some tall undergrowth along the point bar. Rapidash slid in behind him. Rarity cringed, and with eyes forcibly close tight and clenched frown, she joined them. All three sank some in the soft, wet sediment, dampening their bellies. She muttered, “Ugh! So filthy...!”

“Shut it...!” Keldeo harshly whispered. The four Crobat zoomed overhead almost in unison with him. Rarity started to move a moment later, but Keldeo motioned for her to stop. They remained there a minute longer. As Rarity let out a little whimper, Keldeo scoffed, “Fine! We’ll get out! For the love of Mew!”

{At least Rarity’s feeling this empty.}

They saw no trace of the Crobats. Rarity nearly shrieked as she looked down. Much was brown, or greyish, or somewhere in-between. Sobbing, she lamented, “My beautiful, perfect white coat! Ruined!!

Keldeo facehoofed. Rapidash soothingly consoling, “Dear, it’ll wash out! Look, there’s a stream right here, and—”

Just look at it!! It’s no cleaner!!” Rarity blubbered.

“Rarity, please! They’re gonna hear you!” Rapidash urged.

Keldeo rolled his eyes. “It’s what you signed up for, buddy boy! You want the gorgeous girl with an immaculate coif, and perfect look, you’d best be ready for high maintenance. I don’t envy you at all. Now let’s get outta here. We have to go east. Hopefully we can cross Route 32 unnoticed. If you could carry her again?”

Rarity scoffed several times as Keldeo spoke, but offered no counter. She growled to herself as she climbed back onto Rapidash’s back. He said, “Sweetheart, please calm down. It’s not worth all this.”

Rarity sighed. Giving him a kiss on the forehead, she answered, “It’s not you I’m upset with, darling. It’s...the situation really, and my coat. And some of his...choice comments.”

Keldeo scoffed, “Buck up, buttercup! There’ll be more dirt, filth, and grime before we’re done! You’re not a resident of Kalos; this isn’t gonna kill you.”

Keldeo led them over a rise. Once down the hill, he stopped at the tree line. Peering carefully both ways, he motioned forward, and Rapidash rushed behind him and to another line of trees. Ten minutes later of up and down hills, over fallen trees, briers, streams, and around a stone outcropping, Keldeo came to a stop in a small meadow. There were a few broken Pokéballs here. There he said, “Okay, I believe we’ve lost them. You said you had questions?”

“I said you owed me some answers,” Rarity corrected him as she climbed off of Rapidash and started toward some clear water. “You said you’re much older than us. You also mentioned how Koga kept his best hidden like his great-grandfather, nor were you much fazed by his actions at the Daycare. And you know a strong Rock-type attack, despite being a Water/Fighting-type; it’s incongruous. I’m no simpleton, Keldeo. Koga’s great-grandfather was your trainer, wasn’t he?”

Keldeo looked down, but said nothing. Rapidash’s eyes widened. Rarity frowned as she scrubbed with her magic, and continued, “I think I can safely surmise your trainer also died, and something shortly afterwards shattered your trust of humans.”

Keldeo snorted. He looked over at her and said, “Aren’t you surprisingly quick?”

“Have to be, in my profession,” Rarity began, checking herself over. “Predict market trends based on observations while out on the town, enough to take a cold reading of a customer just coming in the door, so that one or two vague adjectives later I can pull the exact, perfect dress she wanted off the rack?”

“Still had to be lucky, to get such the necessary breaks to hit the big time,” Keldeo quipped with a small grin.

“One must be good, before any such luck can come,” Rarity said self-satisfied. She stepped out from the water, wet, but with all the muddy discolouration gone. She sighed with relief as she looked over her legs. Her eyes then shifted to less-than-amused as she caught Keldeo's gaze. “But that hardly is an answer that you owe me.”

Sighing, Keldeo began, “You surmised correctly. Over a century ago I met Koga’s great-grandfather, back while his family still lived in the Unova Region. I was still very young. Koga’s family were martial artists back then, too, and his great-grandfather specialised with Fighting-types. He had also found my uncles. Nicknamed me ‘d’Artagnan,’ too, after a book character he liked, he said. But one night there was a fire in the village, with a little girl trapped inside a house. He covered himself and ran in to save the girl. But the house collapsed, and neither one got out. I never saw him again. All his Pokémon, me included, passed to his son, who at the time had barely begun the journey from boyhood to manhood. He swore that he would learn to be faster, so that he could save others where his father simply had not been fast enough and let no one die. Rather than learn his family’s wushu from his grandfather, he instead studied ninjitsu.”

Rapidash raised his head, opening his mouth with a soft “ah” in understanding. He said, “And so they’ve been ninjas since.”

Hai. Something in him changed during his training. His noble goals fell by the wayside, in favour of perfecting his stealth, and increasingly vicious attacks. He also started preferring Poison-type Pokémon instead of Fighting-type,” Keldeo said sadly. “As a final test from his master to prove himself, he had to carry out an assassination contract professionally, and stay hidden while wearing some bright red. He succeeded brilliantly, but showed no emotional response to his taking another life, no distress, no guilt, nothing. Not even elation at his success. Just a cold, confident satisfaction. My uncles and I had enough. Since this was before they had those ‘PC Boxes’ I’ve heard about, our departure was much easier.”

“That’s what destroyed your trust of humans?” Rarity asked.

Keldeo said, “That was the start. I tried to interact with people again, thinking Koga’s grandfather was just one bad egg and nothing more. But then I began to see he was far from alone, and even part of the majority. You’ve not been in the world long, so let me sum this up for you nice and cleanly. All their lives, humans are two-faced creatures. The common good is of no importance to them on the whole. Few hesitate before backstabbing each other to get ahead or to keep from falling behind, but backstab they will. They’ll say one thing to one group, and another to another. Put three of them in a room, and between them there’ll be six opinions on any given topic. Even their children, seemingly so sweet, so innocent and pure, with such noble goals...some want to end world hunger, others to solve world political messes and prevent all future wars...such wonderful thoughts they have. And yet...get a group of them together at play, and you will hear the meanest, the most cruel and vile, deplorable, horrid things said to each other each and every day. Just as one example among many, one boy who said he wanted to find a permanent cure to a terrible disease they have called ‘cancer,’ minutes later, told another boy his breath was so bad it was why there were crop failures all over the country, that the gods didn’t want to send rain because his breath would then poison the fish, and even that people oceans and continents away who had never seen or heard of other humans with their skin colour are upturning their nose at the smell.”

{And another’s world is shattered.}

Rarity stood blinking and agape, totally aghast. Keldeo nodded slowly while Rapidash slowly let out a hard exhale. No words came for half a minute. Suddenly, a bang rang out, and a Pokéball shot from a pipe in the rock face. It slammed against a tree and shattered. Appearing from the pinkish sparks was a large brown bird with a white trailing edge to its wings, a spiky red crest, a long thin neck, and a long thin bill appeared. It called out in a whistling, high-pitched chipper voice that turned confused, “Sally! Where shall we Fly to this...Sally? Sa-a-ally! Where are you, Sally?”

Keldeo gestured toward this newcomer. “And this is another prime example.”

“Who is this?” Rarity asked.

Rapidash answered, “It’s a Fearow, but I don’t know her, nor this ‘Sally’ she’s calling for.”

“Sally? Where am I? Sally?” Fearow asked, looking all around in total bafflement. She caught sight of the three of them. Fluttering over their way and hovering there, she asked, “Hey, do you know what’s going on? Sally said she had to make a quick change, but...where is she? Where am I?”

Keldeo sighed uncomfortably. He said sadly, “Fearow...you’re in the wild. Route 32 is the closest route to here, but that’s a good twenty miles west of where we are.”

“The...the wild?” Fearow echoed in disbelief. “How could I already be so far from where I was?! That doesn’t make any sense!”

“Why don’t you start over? Tell me about yourself, so that I can help you,” Keldeo said.

Fearow brightened up. “Okay! I’m Fearow! Sally’s my trainer, and we’ve been together for...I don’t know! She’s only twelve, but gosh, it feels like it’s been forever! And it’s been great! I’m one of her first Pokémon! I’ve led the charge and won her several Gym Badges! We’re very close; she loves me dearly and I love her, too!”

Keldeo pursed his lips as he looked down. Almost as a lament he asked, “What was going on before you found yourself here?”

Fearow raised an eyebrow. “Are you okay?”

“I’m...trying,” Keldeo said earnestly. “Please, what was going on?”

Fearow said, “Well, Sally was rock climbing outside Cianwood City. She said she heard there was something special there, something I think she called ‘Pidgeotite.’”

Keldeo choked back a sob, though a tear escaped him. Fearow stopped and landed. Keldeo softly said, “Please continue.”

With concern, Fearow slowly said, “It sounds like your heart’s breaking.”

“...that’s because it is,” Keldeo answered. “Sally found the Pidgeotite, and returned to the Pokémon Centre where she wanted to make that ‘quick change,’ right?”

“Yeah...,” Fearow answered in confusion.

“She also had been training a Pidgey, or Pidgeotto, which had recently become a Pidgeot, right?” Keldeo asked.

“I’m getting a bad feeling about how quickly you’re putting this together,” Fearow answered cautiously.

More tears ran down Keldeo’s face as he looked at the ground. Mournfully he said, “I’m sorry, Fearow. I’m so sorry.”

“Wha...wha...why are you sorry?” Fearow said as her tears welled up.

Keldeo looked her in the eye. His own were already getting puffy. “You already know in your heart what’s going on, why you’re in the wild.”

Fearow’s breathing instantly was deeper, faster, and more ragged. Her tears went from a handful to a stream just like that. She begged, “No...! It can’t...she couldn’t...she...she wouldn’t!! Not to her beloved Fearow!! Sally would never!!

“She did,” Keldeo said as his tears picked up. “She released you. Sally doesn’t want you anymore, because she replaced you with Pidgeot.”

Fearow closed her eyes, taking a very deep breath. Then she wailed. Rarity could not help but cry herself, seeing Fearow’s emotional agony, the heartbreak of betrayal hitting so close to home. She went over to Fearow and offered a hug, which Fearow gladly took. She cried with Fearow, and Keldeo cried with Fearow, and Rapidash tried his best but could not keep his eyes dry either. Fearow’s cries were the hardest of the four. No one bothered to keep track of the time as their emotions expressed themselves.

While Rapidash was the first to calm, Keldeo had words before he did. “I hate seeing this. I lost track of how often it’s happened, that I find a recently-released Pokémon who’s lost and desperately trying to deny what’s happened. It kills me every time. When my trainer died, I felt shattered. I mourned for many months. But this, to have worked so close for so long, and suddenly be cast aside as though I were nothing? I don’t know how humans can do that. I can’t imagine what that feels like for those Pokémon.”

“‘Two-faced,’ I see,” Rapidash said in disgust. “I’m now seeing what you meant. So Aengus wasn’t the only one.”

Keldeo nodded slowly. Rarity sighed sadly, “Home’s looking better and better all the time.”

“That’s why I came,” Keldeo said. He looked over at Fearow, and gently asked, “I understand if you’re not feeling up to it, but may we ask a favour?”

Fearow sighed, “I...I don’t know. I just...I guess it depends on what.”

“Rarity here isn’t from this world. She’s trying to get home,” Keldeo began. “A distortion in Sinnoh is the only way to send her back. I’m not asking you to take us there, but even as far as New Bark Town would be a help.”

Fearow wiped at her tears with her wings. She bit back on another sob, and said, “We never went to Sinnoh. But if...if it helps keep her from feeling pain like this, then I’ll Fly you guys as far as Cerulean.”

{Finally something goes right.}

Keldeo bowed deeply. “From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.”

Kneeling down and spreading her wings, Fearow said, “Hop on, and hold on. This won’t take long.”

Apprehensively, Rarity did as she was told, only after Keldeo and Rapidash had already climbed on, ultimately sharing Rapidash’s back with Keldeo. Rarity whispered, “I think we’re a little big for her like this.”

“No you’re not.”

With one flap Fearow was airborne, and rocketing across the skies at blinding speeds. Rarity exclaimed a non-syllable scream while Rapidash kept his head down. Rarity’s horn lit up and despite her own grip, her telekinetic aura surrounded her and most of Rapidash. Keldeo just laughed. As the ground below tore past at a blur, Fearow said, “I think I’d like to come with you, since there’s not much point in sticking around here.”

“Sure. Once Rarity’s back home, I can take you to a place in Kalos I think you’d like, a place where there are others like you,” Keldeo said.

A moment later, they touched down in a town with well-manicured flower beds and hedgerows, flagstone walkways and cast iron lampposts. Before Rarity could take in the scene, Keldeo urged, “Come on, before we draw any more attention!”

He led them a short distance east, hopping up a small drop off beside a Pokémon Gym. People stared as a pony and three Pokémon ran along the pathway northward, turning right at a fence, and then left before a few lampposts. In front of them was a long bridge, painted gold. Rarity hopped on Rapidash’s back and he, Keldeo, and Fearow charged northward. Almost halfway across, they nearly ran over a blonde-haired, green-eyed preteen girl dressed all in white, and would have too had her Ivysaur not pulled her aside in time. Rarity shouted an apology, to which the girl just stared with a rounded mouth.

{Someone lay in wait.}

The sound of Pokéballs opening caught their ears and they slowed to a stop at the far end of the bridge. Two Crobats. More Pokéballs opening, and there was another behind, one to the left, and one to the right. An aged man in a ninja uniform and a red capelet seemed to stand out of the fence to the right, as though he had appeared in a puff a smoke, without the smoke. Rarity gasped, “Koga....”

Sneering, Koga obnoxiously said, “All-too-obvious, to come this way.”

“Get over yourself!” Keldeo yelled in plain human speech.

“Ah, Keldeo...it’s terribly sad you’ve been away from your family for so long,” Koga began with open arms to him. “Grandfather spoke of you often, always hoping you’d come home, right up to the day he died. Do you know how much he missed you, how much he loved you?”

Keldeo’s face softened, with a sadness behind his eyes. He calmly but somberly answered, “He was not the man his father was.”

“Indeed, he was a different man. Great-grandfather, along with you, kept the bad in check, thus keeping the good safe. Grandfather, though, took many bad things and bad people out of the world, so that good could flourish,” Koga said. When Keldeo looked downward, a sad smile came to Koga. He continued, “I know it’s not how you did so then, but we would be serving the same goal: defeat that which is evil, harmful, in any form it takes.”

Keldeo looked up. Koga stretched out an open hand in friendship and kinship, saying, “Surely you, too, can see how much harm the ponies cause, have caused, and will continue to. Please, come home. We’ve missed you.”

Keldeo sighed with closed eyes. Then he looked up and spat at Koga’s feet. “I said, ‘get over yourself!’”

Koga’s face fell in disappointment. Shaking his head, he said, “Hmph. How the good have fallen. Not so much justice in that sword anymore, I see.”

Rarity tapped at the side of her head, then just held a hoof there. “Come on, Rarity...think...there has to be a way out of this....”

“No. You must answer for what you’ve done,” Koga said curtly. A sneer return to his face. “There’s someone I think you should meet.”

He threw a Pokéball. From it coalesced a reptilian figure, a grey lizard that made Rarity deeply gasp. A Salazzle. Rarity barely managed, “Wha...wh...??”

Koga’s eyes hardened as he barked, “The white one, Salazzle! That’s who killed your daughter!”

This older Salazzle snarled and roared, baring teeth and flexing as fire erupted around her for a moment. Koga snatched shurikens from his belt, holding three between his fingers on each hand. Crobats on all sides began closing in, with the old Salazzle out front. Rarity twitched, biting her hoof in terror. As she turned about, Keldeo sharply gasped as he looked eastward. Rapidash asked, “What is it now!?

Keldeo shook. Softly he said, “The savage one...he’s arrived....”


{He’s...here. And he’s completely batshit crazy.}

The man in the karate gi dropped to the ground, his neck twisted around one hundred-eighty degrees. Laughing maniacally levitated Mewtwo a few centimetres off the ground. He whirled around at the sound of a Pokéball opening. There stood a young girl, the same young girl who attempted to catch Starlight Glimmer during a Safari Game, who had deployed a many-coloured monkey with fire coming out of its head. With a shaking voice she yelled, “Infernape, use Flare Blitz!”

Mewtwo grunted. With a swipe of his hand, rosy red rings emanated from his waist. Immediately crystalline shards of the same colour appeared all around Infernape, pounding into him. He stood there with a vacant expression, not moving. Snickering evilly, Mewtwo floated his way over at a lazy pace. The girl’s eyes flicked between Mewtwo and her Infernape. With the lightest of touches, Mewtwo put a finger to Infernape’s nose. Slowly he toppled backwards, still not moving, nor returning to his ball. The girl hyperventilated, shaking all over as she began to cry. Mewtwo telekinetically hoisted her off the ground by pointing his finger. As she began to scream, he pulled back on his one hand while punching with the other, psychically yanking her hard into his fist. The blow crushed her, piercing her chest with Mewtwo’s fist emerging from her back. She twitched once and was still. He withdrew his hand and unceremoniously dropped her there on the ground. He stared a moment at her large, stylish purse, still strapped to her shoulder. Taking it off of her with telekinesis, he muttered to himself, “Always wondered what all they kept in these things.”

He raised an eyebrow as he opened the pouch. Soon he dug both hands inside, spending several minutes looking over all the things. Eventually he withdrew both hands; one held an orange technical machine. Still with an eyebrow raised, he tapped a finger on it several times. Then he held up his other hand. A commanding thrust of his palm later, a burst of fire jetted forward, striking a building and sending spurts of flames in five different directions. He nodded appreciatively. Dropping that back in the bag, another popped out to his hand, this one pale blue. This time from his hand launched a thin beam of ice. He said to himself, “I could get used to this...I wonder....”

Quickly different coloured technical machines popped in and out of the bag. With each that came to his right hand, his left discharged a different blast: a jet of fire, a green ball, a dark purple ball, a white ball, lightning, a thick lightning bolt out of the sky, rocks falling out of the sky, the ground tremouring, a windy blast of snow and ice, a particularly wide white ray, and a yellow beam out of the sky, before he was satisfied, all rapidly after the previous. He gripped one of the pale blue technical machines briefly, then called several berries which he swiftly ate. Chuckling, he then summoned a wrapped candy bar.

Mewtwo approached the entryway to The Great Marsh, eating chocolate, with a chic black purse over his shoulder. Stopping about fifteen paces away, he stopped, eyeing the building while cheeing up and swallowing what chocolate was in his mouth. Then Mewtwo commandingly slapped with his right hand, and the building crumbled with a bang. All its debris was thrown harshly and haphazardly toward the left. He bit down on the last of that candy bar, then called a bottle of soda out of the purse. Approaching the shattered building’s remaining foundation, he looked at the garbage and recycling receptacles. He dropped the chocolate wrapper in the trash, promptly chugged the soda, and dropped the bottle in the recycling bin’s glass slot. Looking back, Mewtwo telekinetically dragged the dead girl from nearly two hundred metres away over to him, and stuffed her in the garbage can as well. Starting forward, he crossed over the threshold, stopped, hung his head, and snapped his fingers. He then pointed back at the dead karate man, dragging his corpse over. He would not fit in the trash can. Very carefully Mewtwo balanced the dead body on the garbage can, as one does when one does not feel like taking out the trash just yet.

Mewtwo crossed the wrecked foundation, laughing psychotically, then said, “Come, introduce me to your new friends...big sister....”

Author's Note:

Slight delay in publishing due to having to be daddy. Parenthood, man. It changes bloody everything. Absolutely everything. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But about the story... :rainbowderp::pinkiegasp: ...yikes. Mewtwo's completely insane, violently so. Oh, this is bad....

While Rarity found a new friend in a similarly hurting position, and got a big boost in their travels courtesy of Fearow, it seems Koga knew exactly where to wait for her. And they're surrounded. Suffice it to say, Koga has others at that high a level as those Crobats, and now we get to see them. Why weren't they used in the Elite Four matches? It's anyone's guess; I'd like to think. But how the heck is Rarity gonna get herself and her compadres out of this?

Next week...Mewtwo.

Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next