• ...
27
 547
 3,427

Chapters Next
1 - Gotcha!

{Because it starts out peaceful}

Rarity sat at the dining room table in Twilight’s Castle with a steaming cup of tea in front of her. Twilight was across the table with the same, stirring in a scoop of sugar. Rarity looked at the cup, hoisted it with her telekinesis, and daintily took a sip. Her eyes shot open wide, dilating as they gaze upon the reddish brown liquid in the mug. She took it with both hooves and took a very long sip as her eyes rolled back in her head in a little too happy a reaction for just tea. Twilight chuckled as she took a sip of her own, and nodded in satisfaction.

“Mmm, Twilight, this is simply divine. Where did you get such a rich blend?” Rarity crooned as she took another long sip.

Twilight grinned, looking at her own teacup for a moment. It noiselessly returned to its saucer as the princess said, “Zecora. She grows her own tea leaves out in the Everfree Forest somewhere, and processes them. This isn’t even a blend; it’s straight oolong tea.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Oolong? Never heard of it. Sounds exotic.”

Twilight finished a long sip of her own before meeting Rarity’s gaze again. “That’s...not the right word for it at all. Tea is tea; different varieties are just handled differently according to Zecora. She said making black tea requires fully fermenting the tea leaves, green tea is not fermented a bit, and oolong is about halfway between. I don’t know where she learned all of this, but she’s traveled further than any of us.”

Rarity nodded and sipped again. “Given how far she is from her homeland, one can assume she learned this along the way. But still, it’s a shame this oolong isn’t available in the shops. I’d happily purchase a reasonable stock to keep on hoof.”

“She doesn’t keep a large enough supply to sell it even as a local brand,” Twilight said. “Even if she did, there’s too many other brands of tea, let alone blends. Just for the bergamot blend that Earl What’s-His-Face claims he devised first, there has to be at least eight brands of tea here in Ponyville. I don’t know if any of the larger companies even handle oolong teas.”

“Ah, yes, I suppose you do have a point, there,” Rarity murmured, finishing her cup. Her face suddenly lit up. “Maybe I should give her a visit! Yes, I’m afraid I’ve been a terrible friend to her, and I shan’t do that any longer!”

Twilight’s expression was bemused and skeptical. “A terrible friend.”

“Yes, darling, it pains me to realise how awful I’ve been! I must rectify the situation!” Rarity declared with a flourish as she set the cup down and stood up.

“Like fainting when you learned her stripes were her natural coat, and calling her homeland’s decor ‘creepy’?” Twilight nudged.

“Precisely! I have to make up for that!”

Twilight sighed, “Ah yes, nothing going and asking for tea to mend the fence.”

Rarity was nearly to the door already. “Indubitably! I’m glad you think so too, Twilight! Nothing says ‘friendship’ like sharing food and drink, I say! Ta-ta!”

Rarity shut the door behind her softly. Her footfalls were nearly a canter through the hall. Twilight groaned, burying her face into her hooves and shaking her head.


{Ever been somewhere where it feels wrong from the moment you arrive?}

The Everfree Forest was surprisingly quiet for just after noon. Rarity didn’t pay it much mind as she trod along the path. She hummed to herself, occasionally pausing wherever the undergrowth had shifted enough to mask the old route. All-in-all, she made good time for following a forest trail she had trod only the one time, over two years ago.

Upon coming to a meadow with tall grass, a familiar sweet scent wafted up her nostrils. She took a deep sniff and scrunched her eyebrows. “Hmmm....”

Rarity turned to the right, still sniffing the air. As the taller grass parted, she looked up to see a bipedal creature. It looked to Rarity to be male…, if for no other reason, that it wasn’t pretty, smelled that nice, nor carried itself with the feminine grace and poise she had come to expect from all creatures great and small. It lacked much fur on its face, though there was a clump on its chin of the same fiery orange as on top of its head, both well brushed and cut fairly short. It wore clothes, a jacket of green and white with black accents, blue pants, and black boots. To Rarity’s best guess, its expression was one of surprise, keen interest, and palpable anticipation. As she looked it over, she noticed the jar of honey poured on the ground at its feet.

Rarity scrunched her eyebrows at the source of the aroma she had followed. Her gaze shifted between its face and the spill as she said, “Um, forgive me, darling, but I don’t know who or what you are, but it seems to me pouring honey on the ground is—”

A sploching sound, and Rarity gasped in shock. The creature had thrown mud on her. It actually bent down, grabbed a fistful of mud, and chucked it into her pristine, just shampooed at the spa not even two hours ago, white coat. Anger seeped into her words, “Sir, if I have in some way offended you, I apologize, but throwing mud is—”

Another splot, and her cutie mark on her left flank was covered. Rarity made no effort to hide her mounting rage. “What in the name of Celestia is—”

The third caught her in her open mouth. The rich, earthy flavour did not follow oolong tea very well at all. Rarity’s right eyelid twitched as both eyes went bloodshot, nostrils flaring, jaw clenching, cheeks flushing. The creature stifled a laugh. Rarity roared in rage as she stomped the ground in front of her. Quickly the whatever-it-is pulled out a mesh net bag. He shook its opening toward his open right hand. One ball came out, lower half white, upper half camo, with a button on the front. He frowned that there was only the one, but pressed its button and threw it at the unicorn. Rarity opened her eyes just in time to see it hit her in the chest. It bounced off, popped open, and emitted green rays that surrounded Rarity, dragging her along and turning her into specks of light.

Rarity suddenly found herself staring at the interior of a round wall. There appeared to be a slight gap, thinner than a coin, which ran perfectly horizontally around the round room. “What...how...no!”

{Ever been somewhere where it’s even worse than you first thought?}

She threw herself against the wall. The whole place shook, and the gap widened for a split second. Emboldened, she did so again, to the same result. She wound up, and used her magic to throw herself at the crack with all the force her legs could muster, but it was the same. She heard a click.

“Come on, Rarity! You can do this!” she reassured herself without much confidence, but ample amounts of growing frustration.

She slammed into the wall harder that time than any of the previous three, but nothing budged. The room didn’t rock at all, nor did the gap flex or shift in the slightest. She growled, and gave it another go, to no avail. Wincing, she stood up and rubbed at her right shoulder. A mare’s voice, sounding artificially pleasant and of a sterilized politeness, echoed, “Welcome, Rarity, to young Mr. Aengus Meagher’s team of Pokémon.”

Rarity blinked quickly as the voice stopped. Flustered, angry, but mostly confused, she started, “Pokey-mon? What in the world is—”

“We are thrilled that—” the voice began.

Rarity screamed over the recording, “Does everything in the world have to interrupt me after the word ‘is’ today!?

She stomped angrily, grumbling inaudibly to herself as she paced, ignoring the mare over the P.A. After a minute of neglecting the speech, it abruptly ended, followed by a sense of massive acceleration, as if she and this room were covering the distance between Ponyville and The Crystal Empire every second but without being thrown into the back wall. Rarity looked around and saw what looked like a rough straw bed and a trough materialise in a series of green sparks. Some edible-smelling slop lay in the trough. Then the fast movement seemed to slow.

Rarity stood agape. She blinked hard for a moment, and muttered, “What’s going on...??”

Decor of a tropical feel began taking shape on the walls, as did the bed sheets. Beside the trough coalesced a manger with hay. To its left formed a panel of some kind with plenty of buttons. The sense movement was quite slow at that point, and the mare’s voice said, “Now deposited in PC Box 4. Have a pleasant stay.”

Rarity snapped, “What in the hoof does that mean? ‘PC box?’ Exactly what is—”

“New friend!!” a chorus of voices shouted in unison as a dozen and a half images appeared on the wall, of strange creatures that Rarity had never seen before. As they began barraging her with questions, the alabaster unicorn’s mind gave out, and with some overly dramatic wobbling, she fell to the floor, out cold.


{Not everyone is unhappy about this}

Aengus picked up the Safari Ball with a chuckle. He looked at it with a satisfied grin. Just as it went poof off to the PC, a chime sounded, and a woman’s voice over an unseen P.A. announced, “You’ve run out of Safari Balls. Your Safari game is over.”

Aengus grimaced at this unfortunate truth. Before he could move, an Abra appeared next to him. In a flash he found himself back in Pastoria City, at the gate to The Great Marsh. He looked around to reorient himself, and shook his head. Aengus’s voice carried a hint of an Irish accent. “How do they do that?”

“We hope you had an enjoyable Safari game, sir,” said the closest attendant with a bow.

“Indeed I did. Thank you,” Aengus replied with a genuine smile.

He stepped out of the building. A boy in his late teens was waiting, dressed in a white jacket with three thin red stripes going down the sleeves, black trousers, red leather boots, and a white ball cap with something black embroidered above the bill. By the face, just about anyone would logically assume he was Aengus’s younger brother. His hair was a light brown instead of red, though his eyes were the same piercing, icy blue. He walked up to Aengus, grinning while saying, “You look pleased.”

“That went very well,” Aengus chuckled.

“Oh? Do tell,” the younger urged.

Aengus waved him toward the Pokémon Centre to their right. The two stepped in and immediately headed for the blue computer, firing it up. Behind the desk stood an attendant nurse who did not turn to see as the boys walked to her left, but faced the door, staring blindly into space. They thumbed through a few screens, but stopped on the one labeled “BOX 4” at the top. Aengus smiled and said, “Well, Paddy, what do you think?”

{Hard not to recognize this track anywhere, anytime}

Paddy flipped through the dossier screens, muttering to himself, “Yanma...Tropius, not bad, not bad...Croagunk, cool...Skorupi, very nice….”

He stopped at a picture of a white unicorn with a curly purple mane. Paddy stood agape, scratching at his chin. Aengus said, “Found a Carnivine twice, but they weren’t cooperating. Spent seven balls between them, too, and as you can see, no Carnivine to show for it. And by all accounts, a Bibarel makes for a good HM slave. That’ll free up four spots for worthier moves on my travel party.”

“Where did the idol send you?” Paddy asked bluntly.

Aengus frowned. “No idea. Could’ve been Hoenn, could’ve been Alola, or some region we’ve never heard of. I don’t know. Just not home, here, nor one of the places we’ve visited.”

Paddy tapped on the screen, switching a numbered bar graph to a few blocks of text. “‘Rarity.’ You bring back a new species of Pokémon, and somehow it, too, has a whimsical name. Hmm, Fairy-type; haven’t seen a new one of those since we were in Kalos. But not a bad moveset to start: Telekinesis, Horn Attack, Baby-Doll Eyes, and Power Gem. Few know that last one.”

“Serious nature...‘Somewhat Vain,’ nice to be warned...what’s this? ‘Prissy?’ Never heard of that ability,” Aengus mused. Both his eyebrows raised. “Ups Sp. Atk. upon taking physical damage, and Evasion from special. Whoa.”

A young lady, seemingly sixteen years old at most, wearing an orange pullover, tight brown slacks, and green boots and belt came into the Pokémon Centre, and handed her six balls to the attendant nurse. Paddy rocked his head from side to side. “Could I borrow the idol?”

Aengus laughed. He took a Pokéball off of his belt and pushed its button. A Rapidash appeared. In a bag on the stallion’s side was a golden figure of an equestrian head, with three gemstones in its mane. Two were bright blue, but the third was all-but blackened with no shine. Handing it to Paddy, Aengus said, “Alright little bro, give this to your Zebstrika. The spot is in the far back-right of the marsh.”

As Paddy summoned his Zebstrika from a Dusk Ball, the young woman gave it a strange look. She interrupted them, “Excuse me, but I’ve never seen that kind of Pokémon before. What is it, and where did you find it?”

“He’s a right-powerful Zebstrika, he is,” Paddy said proudly. “Found him along Route 7 in Unova.”

“Oh...Unova. That explains a bit,” she said thoughtfully as she received her Pokéballs back from the nurse. “Is that where you’re from?”

Aengus spoke up. “No, lass, we’re from Goldenrod City, in Johto.”

“Wow!” she exclaimed most-impressed. “You boys on a world tour or something?”

All three laughed. As Paddy shook his head in amusement, Aengus answered, “Wish we had the time to stop everywhere. We’ve been to Kanto, Kalos, Unova, and now here, but we’ve got to head home so that my brother here can get to university before fall semester begins.”

“If you must,” she said with a coy grin. “Books weren’t my thing. Battling is.”

Paddy shook his head. “You sound just like him.”

She smiled as she started toward the door, saying, “Speaking of battling, this gym isn’t gonna defeat itself. Maybe I’ll see you again before you leave.”

Paddy stared as she stepped out. Aengus snapped his fingers in front of his face, causing Paddy to jump. Aengus chuckled, “I know, lots of cute girls around this region. Try to not be so obvious.”

“As if you weren’t thinking it too,” Paddy grumbled.

“No, I was thinking sometimes gyms do defeat themselves,” Aengus quipped, returning his Rapidash to its ball. Giving Paddy a knowing smirk, he said, “You, dear brother, had your eyes on one thing and one thing alone as she walked away. And judging from her saunter, she appreciated the compliment.”

“Oh, get off my case,” protested Paddy, putting away his Zebstrika as well.

“Then, get out to the marsh. I’ll wait here,” Aengus said, thumbing around on the screen. “I’ve some thinking to do. This...Rarity, is interesting.”

“I can see that,” Paddy said, starting for the door.

Aengus smiled. “Hope you can find another. This one can talk.”

Paddy stopped and turned toward his brother. Aengus nodded slowly and deliberately. Paddy pursed his lips, then headed out. Aengus returned his attention to the PC screen, and Rarity’s dossier on it. He muttered to himself, “And if you’re half as good as I’m hoping, I’ll finally put Bruno away, and take my rightful place atop of it all….”

Author's Note:

Not Rarity's cup of tea, in both a figurative and literal sense. Aengus seems like an intense fellow. How well will they get along? And what does he want? Learn more in the next chapter.

Thanks for reading.

Chapters Next