• ...
27
 547
 3,427

PreviousChapters Next
6 - Heading To Sunyshore

{Fighting back would be good}

The wild Buizel carefully backed up and edged around to its left as sparks flew off of Rarity’s horn. Aengus raised an eyebrow. Keeping her horn trained on the Buizel, she snarled, “Take this, you ruffian!”

A bolt of blue magic erupted from her horn. The wild Buizel’s eyes widened, but could do no more than that before the spell landed true. It sailed backwards, slashing through the tall grass until it smacked into a tree and flopped onto the ground. It reached briefly with a paw before it collapsed, fainting. Rarity continued to point her horn at the KO’ed Pokémon, until Aengus said, “Well done, Rarity! That was a nice shot. I like it.”

{And it worked}

Rarity eased up. She looked back at him, then at the Buizel, and asked, “Is this how it goes around here, that wild animals attack all the time?”

“That would be wild Pokémon for ya’,” Aengus grimaced. “They seem to like tall grass the best, or caves. You’d be surprised just how big a creature can hide out here.”

{Time to keep moving}

They continued onward, talking about Pokémon species, evolving, and types, and move effectiveness. Rarity quickly picked up on what was “super effective” against what else, though she did express some confusion a few times. The thought of “Bug-type” moves working well on evil things did not compute in her mind, but she stashed the information just the same. Rarity took a moment to mutter about a seaside shack also having a south-facing door, questioning the wisdom of this, especially during spring tide. A less-than-romantic walk down the beach as dusk took hold, and Rarity looked up to see the front gate of the hotel. One thing had itched at her mind from earlier.

“Something that doesn’t make sense to me,” she began, “is if there are so many Water- and Flying-type Pokémon out there, and if there but two strong Ground-type attacks, why would you leave something like that Raichu in the waiting box for years? He said he’s been there for seven years, and it sounds like, with evolving twice, he should be a strong addition to the team.”

Aengus sighed uncomfortably. “You can understand the speech of Pokémon, and can talk to others in the PC boxes, then?”

No, I’m just reading tea leaves because oolong tea does the best at foretelling the future, since it’s always tea time with angel food cake and cucumber sandwiches in the PC Box,” Rarity snipped with as much sarcasm as her voice could carry, rolling her eyes. “Seriously, Aengus, why ask such an obvious—ooh! This place looks simply marvelous, with the collection of private cabins and what should be spectacular ocean views! Come, let us not wait!”

Rarity galloped up the steps, looking back at Aengus. He followed at an unhurried walk, and led her through the lobby building, up some more stairs, to the left, and to his cabin. He unlocked the door and in they went. As Aengus flicked on the light, Rarity resumed, “This is simply divine, darling! You chose well! But seriously, if this is where we’re staying for the night, can we take this thing off my head?”

Aengus smiled and loosened the tightening mechanism. As he removed it, he said, “There. Better?”

“Absolutely!” Rarity beamed. She took in the room for a moment, then resumed her serious tone. “You still haven’t explained yourself, dear. Why would you leave Raichu in the box like that?”

Aengus frowned. “Was hoping you forgot about that...the thing about Pokémon is that not all species are equal. Even among those that evolve twice, some are stronger than others, while there are some that don’t evolve at all who are stronger than end-evolution species. There are also a few unique individual Pokémon, collectively called ‘Legendary Pokémon,’ that are stronger than nearly any others.”

Rarity said, “I’m following.”

“Raichu, as a species, isn’t a bad Pokémon. They really aren’t too shabby; hell, they’re better than most. The problem is that once you start reaching higher levels of competition, like where I’m at, they really aren’t good, either,” Aengus explained.

“So a Raichu is a so-so fighter,” Rarity said, unamused.

“Ultimately, and unfortunately, yes,” said Aengus. “The Raichu you saw in there was carefully bred and trained. It’s the strongest Raichu you could hope to find. But in battle, he still was stomped flat by middle-of-the-road, maybe even subpar, Pokémon of a stronger species, even without having a type disadvantage. I remember that battle: an old buddy of mine from way back when sent out his Arcanine, a Fire-type, and it crushed that Raichu, even though it wasn’t that good an Arcanine. If this Raichu was sent in against species as strong as Tyranitar or Dragonite, it’d be over even quicker.”

“Then why does he wait in the ‘to be decided’ box?”

Aengus explained, “He’s the measuring stick. Pokémon with comparable levels of battle experience who are statistically stronger can be on the team, those equal or less, not so much. His moves, also, limit him. It’s just not that diverse, despite the breeding and training. And so, there he stays.”

Rarity glared at him. “That’s downright cold of you. He’s a living creature with thoughts and feelings of his own, not a bunch of notes and numbers on a page!”

“Cold, yes,” Aengus answered, his icy blue eyes showing ice in another way. “But that’s one of the realities of competitive battling. A trainer has to be a certain level of cold. You can’t let emotional attachment sway your decisions about your team. He is still useful, albeit in a less than glorious capacity. To be the best, you need to have the best. And there are better Electric-types; I have a well-trained Eelektross, and Paddy has a Zebstrika. Ampharos, Luxray, and Electivire also are statistically stronger than a Raichu with solid move sets. Jolteon and Magnezone are stronger too, but what they can learn...just isn’t up to snuff as far as I’m concerned.”

Rarity shook her head at him. She barked, “Then maybe you should simply comprise your entire team of these Dragonites and such!”

“Too little diversity,” Aengus countered. “And too many glaring weaknesses. One well-bred and trained Machamp could undo an entire squad of them.”

“Really.”

“Let’s give you a little quiz, to see if you remember your type defenses. Two of these Pokémon, Dragonite and Salamence, are Dragon/Flying type,” Aengus led in expectantly.

“They would be weak against Ice—doubly weak against ice,” Rarity answered in thought.

“Good,” he answered. “Another of them is Garchomp, a Dragon/Ground type.”

Rarity paused a moment, then said, “That’s also doubly weak against Ice.”

Aengus smiled. “Correct. Tyranitar is Rock/Dark.”

Rarity thought, and said, “Let me see...Rock is vulnerable to Water, Grass, Ground, Fighting, and Steel while Dark is vulnerable to Bug, which still makes no sense to me, Fairy, and...Fighting! It’s doubly weak against Fighting-type attacks!”

“Yes. Hydreigon also is one of those high-power species, but it is Dark/Dragon,” Aengus said with a nod.

Rarity’s eyes rotated in their sockets toward the ceiling. After a pause, she said, “Especially weak to Fairy-type attacks.”

Aengus nodded, and gestured lightly with an open palm. “What is it simply vulnerable to, but not especially?”

“Fighting, Ice, Dragon, and the nonsensical Bug,” Rarity said, grumbling on the last bit.

“One more,” said Aengus. “Metagross is one I’ve not seen, but I’ve read up on them. They’re Steel/Psychic types that are found only in Hoenn, and are rarely seen even there.”

Rarity’s fading patience etched itself across her growing frown. “Those types cover the other’s weaknesses, except Fire and Ground.”

“Excellent!” beamed Aengus. He continued, still sounding pleased with her, but also himself, “The seventh and last of those top-tier Pokémon that I know of is Goodra, which is a straight Dragon-type. As I said earlier, a Machamp can take out any of these easily. It’s a Fighting-type, and one of the mightiest of its type. While I have yet to see any Fighting-type use a single Fairy-type move, Machamp can learn many of the high-end Fighting-type attacks...and with special breeding and training, it may also know Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and/or Earthquake.”

“That’s all well and good, darling,” Rarity irritably began, “but really, what are the odds you’ll face a Machamp?”

Aengus’s eyes narrowed as he turned toward the nearby window. He growled, “It will happen. Bruno...Bruno always has one, the strongest of his crew each and every time....”

Rarity edged toward his left side. “You’ve got some venom in your voice when you say that name. Who is this person?”

Aengus glowered out the window. “Bruno...he is a member of the Indigo League’s Elite Four. With all the changes in personnel at the League, I believe he’s now the last one before the Champion. I’ve challenged for the Championship seven times, each time, making some wise adjustments to my lineup, and all seven times, Bruno’s team defeated mine. He’s cunning, thorough, and patient. Bruno’s a master of Fighting-type Pokémon. My first attempt was with a team that simply wasn’t strong enough. My second team was better, but again, he didn’t need to do anything in particular apart from directly attacking. After that, I’ve had more diverse groups, ones meant to handle all kinds of squads while trying to minimize weaknesses. But Bruno’s team had some adjustments of his own, namely using moves that targeted the types Fighting-types are weak against! Then I adjusted to come at him sideways, using Pokémon that had access to Fighting’s weaknesses; he was ready and waiting for that, too! Nothing I’ve ever done has worked, has been enough!”

Aengus clenched his fists as he scowled into the night. He took a deep breath, then slowly looked into Rarity’s eyes. His expression was one of hope. “But you, Rarity, you would be something he couldn’t see coming. By Pokémon standards, you’re effectively a Fairy-type, and with a strong ‘special attack.’ Most Fighting-types don’t have the best ‘Special Defense,’ which puts you in a strong position. You are the best hope I’ve ever had.”

Rarity blinked at him. She tried to speak, but all that left her wide-open mouth was an unenunciated, airy “...uhh....” She looked away and shook her head slowly. When she looked back at him, she said, “I guess then, from what you said earlier, I’m ‘statistically stronger’ than little Raichu.”

“You are.”

Rarity took her turn at the window, nickering. None of the constellations looked familiar. She caught his gaze and asked, “I’m still wondering, darling, why do you wish to be champion so badly? I’ve seen it in your eyes; there’s something more at work than just a pugilist’s dream.”

Aengus chuckled, easing up. “All of us trainers start off wanting to know more about Pokémon, or just spend time with our new friend, meaning whichever Pokémon we received to start our adventure. Some want to see as many different species as they can. Some want to develop a special bond. Many of us get it in our heads that we want to be the very best, like no one ever was. I was one of those, and if I’m honest with myself, I still am. It didn’t help that shortly before I was old enough to begin training, I saw three different boys only a few years older than me each in turn conquer the Elite Four and the Champion, just from setting out on their own first adventure. I knew I could do it too. The ‘pugilist’s dream,’ as you put it...and you are right; that is not all.”

“I can see how a few of your peers just ahead of you in age could fuel that ambition, that you’d want to too,” said Rarity, following him as he headed toward the desk.

Aengus reached into his inside jacket pocket and set down a small locked case. He turned back toward Rarity and said, “Let me show you something that may help explain.”

“Yes?” Rarity answered in intrigue. Aengus gently laid his hands on her face, so that her eyes filled the area between his index fingers and thumbs. She said, “Um, what peculiar thing will your hands do now?”

Aengus closed his eyes, breathing deeply and slowly. He murmured, “I can see it...your youth...things you used to know how to do, but almost forgot. Yes...yes...that is something to remember. Think of your earliest school days. Think of the charcoal pegasus colt you call ‘Thunderlane.’ Think of recess, and how you two liked to wrestle. Think on it, and remember...how to Play Rough!

He let go suddenly and Rarity’s head jerked back as she took a series of sharp, short, deep gasps. She shot him an alarmed stare. “How did you do that!? I hadn’t thought about those days in years!”

“Some call me a ‘Move Reminder,’” said Aengus as he turned back to the small metallic case. As he began to open it, he continued, “I can look into a Pokémon’s mind and past, and remind them of a move they used to know. In your case, you now can use ‘Play Rough’ again. When others ask me to remind their Pokémon of moves they forgot, I am happy to do so, for a Heart Scale in exchange.”

In the case there were iridescent scales shaped like hearts. Many of them were mounted on a chain, or a few hooks. Aengus continued, “My mother loves Heart Scale jewelry, and for her I gather as many as I can, most of them by being a Move Reminder.”

His face turned somber as he pulled out some small tools. “She gave up everything for Paddy and me. Jobs, places to live, went without dinner more than a few nights so that he and I could get a bite...that is why I want to be champion. My mom deserves better than what she’s gotten. I’ve sent most of the money I’ve made from battles back to her, even enough to put Paddy through university. The pension from holding the title would be more than enough to ensure she will be comfortable and not need to work for the rest of her days.”

Aengus set to carving a pattern into a scale, one that matched a different scale already mounted on an earring hook. Rarity breathed, “Aengus...these are fabulous...! You have a real gift with them! They are beautiful by themselves, too. Hmm, maybe if...and that could go with—yes! Idea-a-a!!”

“Idea?”

“Aengus, darling, do you have a pencil and sketchbook? Or at least some paper?” Rarity asked.

Aengus gave her a confused face, and said, “Yeah. Um, here you go?”

Rarity levitated the pencil and paper over to another part of the room. Aengus stood up quickly. “Wait a minute....”

“Do be fast, dear. I am entering The Zone!” Rarity declared excitedly as she began drawing the basic shape of a mare.

Aengus laid his hands on her face as before, but only for a moment. He took a step back in shock. “Five...??”

Rarity set the pencil down. “‘Five?’ Five what?”

“You know five moves,” Aengus said breathlessly. “Normally Pokémon can know up to four, but you know five!”

“I told you before, I’m a pony, not a Pokémon,” Rarity grumbled as she resumed drawing, outlining the shape of an evening dress.

Aengus grabbed his bag and started into it. “There’s something we have to do!”

“Can it wait for morning? I’m in The Zone, as it were,” Rarity answered without even looking up. Her horn twinkled a bit more, and some different colours lit the page while the extra glow held.

“Really, I must know,” Aengus insisted.

Rarity snapped, “If it can wait ‘til morning, it waits ‘til morning. Do not interrupt inspiration when it comes.”

“Seriously, I think—”

Wait ‘til morning!!” Rarity barked. She glared imperiously for a moment, then gave him a pleased smile as she resumed drawing. Aengus scratched the side of his head, then shrugged, and returned to his work at the desk.


The night was growing old as select bodily functions abruptly yanked Aengus from the soft arms of slumber. As he started for the bathroom, he saw Rarity was still toiling over the paper, though it wasn’t the same sheet. She had the start of at least five different dresses, each along the way between everyday casual and black tie affair, and had started on a style of suit for ponies. Her mane, eyelids, ears, shoulders, and tail all drooped heavily. The pencil still moved, and its shavings sat in a neat pile.

“You’re still at this?” Aengus muttered groggily.

“Almost done,” said Rarity. “Follow inspiration through to its end. That’s how to set the trends and earn the business.”

Aengus blinked, and rubbed his forehead. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Feeling like I ought to sleep,” Rarity yawned.

“Then, get some sleep. I woke for the loo,” Aengus answered as he plodded into the bathroom.

The door closed. Rarity made a few final scratches with the pencil, and dropped it. She looked at the second bed, crawled onto it, and conked out before her head reached the pillow. A few moments passed before a flush sounded. Aengus emerged, clumsily making his way back to his bed. He looked over at Rarity, cracked a small closed-mouth grin, and flopped out of the waking world.


{Good morning; you’re not in Ponyville anymore}

Rarity’s closed eyes twitched as the first sunbeams located the lower splits in the Venetian blinds and tantalizingly frolicked upon her face. She turned her head away with a groan. The sun continued its slow rise. The carpet and most of Rarity had a full set of a horizontally-slatted sunrise. She scoffed as she sat up. “Oh, what I’d do for my sleeping mask....”

Rarity slid off the bed. She wandered toward the door, and stepped outside. Aengus was sitting there, watching the sunrise, sipping on a steaming mug of black coffee. He looked over as she approached. “Morning.”

“Morning,” Rarity muttered. She yawned, long and shamelessly. Smacking her lips, she looked at the sunrise. The two sat there in silence for a few minutes. She scratched at her eyes, and examined her surroundings. A road followed the coast to the east, where there was a city in the distance. To the north lay plenty of woodland, though there was a small, circular lake with a circular island in its centre. Rarity blinked at it, squinting. She asked, “Isn’t the name of this place ‘Hotel Grand Lake?’”

Aengus nodded. “Yeah. Best resort in Sinnoh.”

“I can see that,” Rarity answered. “But which lake? I certainly hope they don’t mean that one, over there?”

Aengus didn’t even turn. “That’d be the one. It’s the only lake for miles and miles. ‘Lake Valor,’ though clearly whoever named the lake couldn’t spell worth a darn. What kind of idiot can’t remember the ‘u’ in a word like ‘valour,’ really?”

Rarity shook her head in aggravation. “So the hotel is named for a look at a tiny lake, way over there,” she said, gesturing with a hoof. Then she pointed the other way, continuing, “But the ocean is right here, and there’s a beachfront entrance...but they were more enchanted by the view of that lake, which can only partially be seen through the trees, and only from here on the highest hill among these cabins....”

“Maybe it was the same idiot,” Aengus mused, taking another sip of his coffee.

Rarity facehoofed as she grumbled, “That is simply décevant....”

“Yeah,” said Aengus. He drained the remaining coffee, then stood up. “Well, Rarity, it’s morning now. Time to try something, and get you back in your favourite little bonnet.”

Rarity groaned as Aengus pulled the Exp. Share out of his bag. After it was back on her head and properly adjusted, Rarity huffed and pouted with crossed forelimbs while Aengus went back to rummaging in his bag. He pulled out a small box that had a very thin, flat circular thing inside if it; Rarity had barely feigned an amiable look before his eyes found her. She looked at the device, then back up at him. “What in the hoof is that thing? It...gives me pause.”

“It’s called a ‘Technical Machine.’ This thing can teach a Pokémon a move instantly, often something it would not otherwise learn,” Aengus explained. “I’m glad they make sturdier ones these days; they used to break after a single use.”

Rarity flapped her lips in annoyance. “Trying to see how many moves I can know at a time, I see.”

“That and which ones,” Aengus answered.

“How long will this take?” Rarity grumbled.

“Hopefully not long.”

Rarity’s stomach had audibly roared three times and the sun showed it was at least 9am before Aengus and gone through the whole collection. Much to Aengus’s delight and Rarity’s surprise, she did not appear to have any limit on the number of moves she could know. Every time he went through his bag, Rarity’s face soured and she tried to scratch at her forehead, but could not get her hooves between the metal slats...but she put on a nice face, or at least a non-irritated one, whenever his eyes turned back toward her. On top of the five moves she already knew, she came out of the morning now knowing Calm Mind, Taunt, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Hyper Beam, Light Screen, Safeguard, Frustration, Return, Reflect, Double Team, Torment, Flame Charge, Attract, Round, Echoed Voice, Energy Ball, Embargo, Retaliate, Flash, Psych Up, Swagger, Substitute, Wild Charge, Dazzling Gleam, and Confide. None of the HMs taught her anything.

Rarity complained, “Can I please get some breakfast already!?”

“There’s grass all over,” said Aengus. “Weird. Couldn’t learn Toxic or Hidden Power...no doubts that you’re not a Pokémon now....”

“Do I look like an uncouth, feral beast to you!?” Rarity snapped. “I am refined, elegant, civilised, and have a discerning palate. Annnd, I smell a fine restaurant is near; let us go post-haste!”

“Rarity—” Aengus began with concern, but Rarity rushed down the stairs, telekinetically dragging Aengus by the hand and knocking him off-balance.

“None of that; I shan’t take ‘no’ for an answer!” Rarity merrily replied, finding the restaurant’s ornate entrance. She opened the door, stepped in, then promptly rushed back out, looking a little green around the gills. She shrieked, “They’re eating flesh!! Why are they eating flesh!?!

Aengus shook his now-released hand with a pained grimace. He sighed, “You wouldn’t let me warn you. We’re omnivores. Both meat and plants, though even for us, a healthier diet is mostly to the plant side.”

Rather than listen attentively, Rarity had rushed alongside the building, and was doubled over with the dry heaves. Aengus rubbed his forehead at the sight, his expression a heterogeneous mix of surprise, concern, embarrassment, and nausea. On her third empty retch, Aengus mumbled to himself, “I suppose this is a more effective protest than a picket line....”

Rarity breathed deeply and quickly. She stood up beside an open window. Looking in for a second, she snatched an unused place setting with her magic, pulled the napkin out the window and wiped off her mouth. She threw it haphazardly back onto its original table as she turned toward Aengus. She accusingly snarled, “‘Omnivore,’ huh? Eat everything? On how many ponies have you dined?”

“None. Thank you,” Aengus answered with civil indignation. “I was tricked into having horse meat once, because Paddy wouldn’t say what he made for supper that night. Honestly, at first I thought he had just screwed up making beef.”

“Horse?” Rarity asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Texture’s funny and the flavour is a bit off,” said Paddy. “Not again, and won’t have a pony, either. I prefer chicken and fish.”

“What’s a horse?” Rarity asked.

“The pony doesn’t know what a horse is...?” Aengus muttered under his breath, looking away. He sighed, and turned back to her. “A horse is like a pony, but much bigger. For example, Rapidash.”

A click of a Pokéball, and a flaming unicorn horse appeared. Rarity’s lower left eyelid twitched as she gawked agape. Aengus scratched his facial fuzz, and said, “That can’t be a healthy tic you’re developing with your eye.”

The two equines stared at the other in surprise. They spoke in unison.
“You’re huge!
“You’re tiny!

Aengus watched as the two moved past the shock. Rarity started, “Well, um...yeah. You’re a...my Celestia, you’re enormous! You even dwarf Big Mac!”

Rapidash shook his head as horses do. He sighed, “So much for a chance at a little love in my life right now....”

Rarity scoffed, “Why, I...what’s that supposed to mean? Rapidash, darling, we just met face-to-face, and you’re already willing to write me off like that?! We’ve hardly said hello!”

“Look, Rarity, you’re a beautiful mare. Really you are,” Rapidash said. “But I am not a nanophiliac. This just isn’t gonna work, no matter how much Feraligatr and the others are pushing for this.”

Rarity stared at him for a moment. “I don’t know how I’m supposed to react to that, whether I should be disappointed, offended, or...whatever.”

A click, and Rapidash disappeared in rosy pink sparks. Aengus said, “Before you start screaming at anyone else again....”

“Did you hear him? The nerve!” Rarity grumped.

“I understood you just fine,” Aengus said. “But with him, like every other time a Pokémon speaks, all I heard was it saying its name over and over.”

Rarity groaned indistinctly. Shaking her head, she started toward the city in the distance. Aengus followed with a shrug as she grouched, “After all of that, my mood and appetite are both shot. Let’s just get a move on.”

{Happy little trip down a coastal highway-path-trail-whatever}

Aengus and Rarity started down Route 222 at a relaxed pace. The trip took them close to four hours, including dealing with wild Pokémon, and ten trainers. Rarity watched on as under Aengus’s direction, Feraligatr and Rapidash shredded Pokémon after Pokémon that challenged their team, occasionally including Gyarados, Golem, or Pidgeot on the action. Through the device on her head, Rarity gained an understanding of footwork, positioning, and subtle feints to create openings, but not much in terms of evasion, blocking, or stoic resolve. Aengus’s team simply ran circles around the competition. Rarity found, much to her delight, she didn’t necessarily have to watch the fight to learn from it with the thing on her head. Hunger pangs had returned before the end of the first hour of the morning’s trek. She found and gobbled down four berry bushes that sat in a row while Aengus directed Feraligatr against some blonde floozy (as near as Rarity could tell) who had some similarly lecherous-looking rabbit-woman-thing. Shortly after that, Rarity had the idea of feigning crying in an attempt to disrupt an opponent, thinking she could pull off some Fake Tears very well. Over the course of the morning and early afternoon, Rarity noticed a look on Aengus’s face after defeating other trainers, a sort of cocky, dark grin, almost as if he were taking some savage joy in pulverizing these others so thoroughly. Biting her tongue on the obvious questions, Rarity followed along as they entered a gate building to the city, and into town.

{No city would have formed here with ordinary people; all outcrops and no level ground make for a bad place to set up a village}

Rarity looked across the lofted blue walkways and the craggy outcroppings on which sat the buildings. A Pokémon Centre was close. Aengus slowly walked forward, also taking in the scene. As he turned to the north, he pointed at something for a second, then hurried in that general direction. Rarity followed suit, admiring the lighthouse as they went. The two ascended a staircase onto the blue catwalks and turned west. A distinctively shaped building lay ahead.

Rarity nudged Aengus. “Darling, are you sure this is the Gym you were talking about? And why are we going to a gym right now? I think we had a sufficient workout walking all the way out here. I don’t understand. Is there some magic in the weights you lift here that does more to make somepony, or someone, healthy?”

Aengus explained, “A fitness gym and a Pokémon Gym are certainly not the same. A Pokémon Gym focuses on training Pokémon, having them workout in battle. ‘Gym’ might not be the correct term, but it’s what Leagues have called them since olden times. Each region has eight of them, and they all answer to their region’s League. A trainer that challenges a Gym faces off with the trainers inside, eventually facing the Gym Leader. Defeating the leader earns the certification of that Gym, in the form of a Badge.”

“This world of yours becomes more and more convoluted with everything new I learn,” Rarity muttered.

Aengus shrugged as they stopped in front of Sunyshore’s Gym. Aengus looked closely at the sign in front of the building, and nodded happily. He started back the way he came as he said, “An Electric-type Gym. Will need to make some adjustments to the party lineup.”

He rushed them back to the Pokémon Centre. Rarity noticed that both outside and inside, it looked perfectly identical to the one in Pastoria, except maybe for some weathering. She had to return to the ball long enough for the machine to heal the team. After that, Aengus stopped at the blue computer. As he shifted Pokéballs to and from the receiving/sending pod, Rarity overheard Aengus say to one of the balls, “Sorry, old friend. It’s the worst place for you to be. I’ll come get you afterwards.”

Aengus started for the door. As they headed back toward the gym, Rarity asked, “When you said you needed to adjust the lineup, what did you change it to?”

“You and Rapidash are still here. Joining the two of you for this challenge are Rhyperior, Krookodile, Flygon, and we’re gonna give Excadrill a chance to prove herself,” Aengus said.

They returned to the Gym entrance. The doors opened as they approached. Aengus gestured inward. “Ladies first.”

Rarity curtsied as best as she could with the Exp. Share on her head and no dress. She entered, then he entered, and the door closed behind them.

Author's Note:

Battle with Volkner and crew coming up. Aengus's team is more than strong enough to slash them to ribbons, with a major type advantage on top of that. This shouldn't take him very long....

So far, once a chapter, I've dropped a subtle reference to a classic rock tune; who here has noticed (apart from the one of you who knew in advance)? Think I might keep them coming, if for nothing else, it amuses me as a writer. Hope nobody minds.... :twilightblush:

Speaking of references, I had to tip m' hat to Gene Wilder, and allude to a fun scene from m' favourite of his films, Young Frankenstein. This exchange between Frankenstein and Frau Blücher:

Still adapting to the night shift. At least there wasn't vomit this morning like there was after the first day on the job. :pinkiesick: Turning over one's sleep-wake cycle by twelve hours ain't a fun time. But hey, it pays much better than the previous job, and that'll have to do. Staying the course should get us out of this hole we're in. Bills stink. :ajsleepy: I'll be working on the next chapter as quick as I can.

Thanks for reading.

PreviousChapters Next