• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 9,064 Views, 288 Comments

Best Young Flyer - bookplayer



Scoot trains with Dash to be Best Young Flyer, but could something more develop?

  • ...
15
 288
 9,064

Epilogue

Strings of lights crisscrossed the farmyard at Sweet Apple Acres for the wedding reception. Applejack’s wedding to Peaches N’ Cream had been a large affair, since both brides had large families, not to mention all of Applejack’s friends, most of Ponyville, and both Princesses attending. There were tables full of apple and peach treats, and music came from the barn where ponies were dancing.

Scootaloo was enjoying the party, and talking to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom when she felt a tug on her tail. She ignored it.

“...so then one of the other teachers suggested some sort of club for the foals who didn’t have their cutie marks yet, and I had no idea whether to jump up and volunteer or hide under the table!”

Another tug at her tail as she and her friends laughed.

Apple Bloom calmed down a little, still giggling. “Scoot? I think somepony’s tryin’ to get your attention.”

“Yeah, I know. Three... two... one...” Scoot braced herself as something, or rather somepony landed straight on her back. “Hey Dash, need something?”

“Yeah, I need my marefriend to dance with me,” Dash said from her perch on Scoot’s back.

“I’m talking to the other grown-ups here.” Scoot smirked as she motioned to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

“Talk is totally over-rated,” Dash said with a wave of her hoof. “They probably wanna dance, too.”

“Actually, we wanted to hear more about Scoot’s class,” Sweetie said, laughing and rolling her eyes.

“Did you tell them about the plan, yet?” Dash asked, making no move to remove herself from Scoot’s back. Scoot didn’t mind it anyway.

“No, I thought we weren’t gonna tell other ponies.”

“These guys aren’t other ponies, they’re family,” Dash grinned at Scoot’s friends. “I’m gonna retire in a few years.”

You’re retiring from the Wonderbolts?” Sweetie raised her eyebrows.

“Yup,” Dash said casually. “Been there, done that, got the uniform. Gotta keep aiming for the top.”

“I don’t know if it’s the top, Dash.”

“Are you kidding? It’s gonna be the most awesome thing I’ll ever do!”

“That’s what you used to say about the Wonderbolts,” Scoot smirked.

“Hey, everything I do is the most awesome thing I’ll ever do,” Dash said happily.

Scoot laughed.

“What is it?” Apple Bloom asked. “Ain’t ya gonna tell us?”

“We’re gonna open a school.” Scoot smiled. “A private flight school, for any foal who loves to fly –”

“Or wants to love flying,” Dash added.

“Right, whether they know how or not. We’ll both teach there, I can work with beginners, and a lot of advanced students will flap at the chance to train with a former Wonderbolt.”

“That sounds nice... but aren’t there already enough flight schools?” Sweetie asked.

“Ours is kind of different,” Dash said, a grin spreading across her face.

Scoot had a grin to match Dash’s as she announced, “We’re going to open it in Ponyville! The first ground based flight school in Equestria. There’s a much more small town feeling here than in Cloudsdale, we both think it’s good for kids.”

“And being here takes a lot of the pressure off. In Cloudsdale, you look around and all you see are ponies who fly better than you. Well, until you’re a Wonderbolt at least – Oof!” Dash cut off as she was unceremoniously bumped off Scoot’s back to the ground, landing on her tail. Scoot smirked at her, and she grinned sheepishly. “Um, anyway, down here foals can work at their own pace, and not feel left out if they aren’t as strong or fast or whatever.”

“So y’all are gonna be movin’ back here?” Apple Bloom asked excitedly as Dash got to her hooves.

Scoot nodded. “In a few years. Dash wants to put in ten years with the Wonderbolts, and I’m gonna get a little more experience before I jump into running my own school.”

“Speaking of jumping into things...” Dash quickly nudged herself under Scoot, scooping the younger pony onto her back.

“Hey!” Scoot protested, laughing.

“We’re gonna go dance, girls. I’ll have her back soon.”

“Gotta catch me first!” Scoot said, flying off Dash’s back, then darting off.

“You’re on!” Dash said, right behind her.

The two pegasi flew low over the reception, avoiding the strings of lanterns and the heads of taller ponies. Dash just barely pulled up in time to avoid crashing into Big Mac, who was deep in conversation with Fluttershy. Just past the crowd, Scoot headed up into the sky. Dash pulled out the real speed and finally caught up with her over a cloud bank, tackling her onto the cool, fluffy surface.

“Gotcha!” Dash said, looking down at Scoot and grinning.

Scoot laughed. “You win again.”

Dash just smiled at her for a moment. “I already won. Forever.”

“Me too,” Scoot agreed, leaning up and kissing Dash.

Comments ( 85 )

Hooray, for happy endings! :yay:

A ground-based flight school! Love it.

And the story has finally come to an end
goodnight, sweet prince.

I'm somewhere between buzzed and drunk right now, so I don't think I could give a proper review. I'll make sure that I give one tomorrow, whether I'm sober or hungover.

Prepare yourself though. I write long ones.

Cute, really enjoyed the story. My only criticism for the last chapter is you could have made it a bit more suspenseful if Dash was just called over, having not announced why she was called over. Or something. A few paragraphs of mystery.

Really enjoyed it anyway, well done, nice feint!

YAY! A good end to a great story.

:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: out of five happy pinkies for you!

Argh. This story really hit me. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading it, but i'll give you a hint. It's a lot. Loved your renditions of Scoots and Dashie, I think you really have a good look on how they'd be after growing up. Anyway, loved the story, loved the ending, can't wait to see what you do next :scootangel:

All I have to say is SEQUEL! :flutterrage:
Perhaps Fluttershy and Big Mac's kids at the flight school?:fluttershysad::heart::eeyup: :rainbowdetermined2::scootangel:

In the words of a wise man: SPLENDID

Good ending.:rainbowkiss:

Love for Scootaloo. Exactly as it should be. :scootangel: I'm looking forward to your future works!

1460193
I'm a predictable author. I love a happy ending. Thanks for reading and commenting!

1460247
I feel like it would be the perfect project for Scoot and Dash. They can be around the ponies they love and share their love of flying with kids. Dash has the money to fund it and the reputation to attract attention, and Scoot has the experience with teaching.
I'm glad you liked it!

1460367
Thanks! You're right, I probably should have done more there. Sometimes it hard for me to get a handle on pacing when I'm writing.
Glad you enjoyed it, though!

1460377
Thank you! :ajsmug:

1460409
Bah, who needs manliness when you have ponies? :scootangel:
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

1460638
I have thoughts for a sequel. . . maybe someday. For now I'm just happy that you liked it!

1460670
Thank you!

1461012
Thanks!

1461133
Scoot needs more happy endings. I hope you'll enjoy my other writing just as much!

Congratulations on putting out a fairly thematically unique piece, bookplayer. There are a lot of fics that are good, but a dime a dozen. This one was memorable, making it an actual favourite, rather than just another on the favourites list. Lub ya, pony on.

Please no sequel. Let it end with a perfect note, just like this. I loved the story, and will probably read it several more times, especially on the days when I'm feeling down. You already had my fav and thumbs up, wish I could give you more for your work. But let me say I loved it. :twilightsmile:

This was really nice and sweet(and well written), although I'm a sucker for ScootaDash anyways. I love stories like this where there is enough going on around the main characters so that it feels like the world keeps spinning when Scoot or Dash isn't "on screen".

Hooray for Scootalove! I really enjoyed the story overall, but the humourous banter in particular stood out for me, especially between the Wonderbolts. Spitfire's "I'm retiring" line was one of my favourites. The playful bickering between Scoot and Dash was great too, as well as Dash's hilariously egocentric, over-the-top boasting.

I am well and truly impressed. Your portrayal of Scootaloo was absolutely marvelous. Her internal debates regarding Rainbow Dash, and her reactions to Skylark's cluelessness about how important finally gaining lift is for somepony who has never managed to fly before. In each scene I think you held true to the character, and I could fill pages quoting them, but I digress.

Rainbow Dash likewise easily slipped into my mind's envisioning of the story as I read. I had no trouble hearing her say the lines, or act the part, and her troubles, fears and doubts were played out exactly as I expect they would really be.

The same praise holds true for the rest of the cast. The interplay between the ex-CMC, balancing adult life with that age-old friendship, the snippet about Spike and Rarity, I could totally see that happening, as well as Scoots being oblivious to Skylark's interest in the face of Rainbow Dash's, not to mention the various little signals that the relationship between Scoot and Skylark was doomed even shortly after it began. (doesn't adore flying, no understanding of what makes Ponyville special, the issue I mentioned before, etc etc.)

I loved it! Absolutely loved it, and I hope you're proud of it, because you ought to be. This is beautiful, and I would likely recommend it to anybody who wants to see an excellent example of how to write a shipfic.

Please keep writing, I'll keep reading!!

That was beautiful :fluttercry: :heart:

great ending! keep up the great work!

Dio

*applauds* Hooray for happy endings, especially happy endings for Scoots!

1461524
I agree with zshunter you should write a sequel. Maby not now but someday.
Great ending too mate.

~Reggie

And another final chapter to a great bookplayer fic. Loved it. :pinkiesmile:

Totally loved it. dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Sweetie_happy.png
I agree with the whole sequel thing, but not until later on.

Some good ol' Scootalovin's gonna happen on that cloud.
But seriously: A sequel where they're running a flight school would be awesome, just like this fic was.

Is it possible to die from adorable-ness overload? Yes? Damn - better start writing up my will. :derpytongue2: Really, though, this was great. Not a pairing I ever really thought about, but one I enjoyed nonetheless. Your dialogue just seems to flow so well and fits the characters spot on. They have flaws, but not ones that overpower the rest of them, if that makes any sense. Anywho, nice job :pinkiehappy:

I must say that I rather like how you wrote and ended this. It's very...something, open is and isn't the correct word, bah!. It's very well done and believable and that is a rare seeming thing!
I must agree with Dusty Sage, the idea of a ground flight school is a rather unique idea in the Equestrian world and a rather good one at that!
Loved the story the whole way through:pinkiehappy:

Excellent wrap up, and fantastic story overall. Well Done! :pinkiehappy:

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

I waited for a few months... Just to read 2 chapters....

1787432
I know, but the point of it is that Dash hasn't done the growing-up it would take to be the pony AJ (or anyone else) deserves. And AJ isn't going to wait for that forever.

Just go with it! :ajsmug:

NTL

That was a sweet story. I'm not the biggest fan of ScootaDash. Not because of the age gap (doesn't really matter once Scootaloo has grown up), but because I think Scoots is just starstruck and I have a hard time imagining Dash falling in love with her. However, you pulled it off in a believable way and even managed to address some of those issues.

My favorite scene was probably the talk Fluttershy gave RD at the end of chapter six, because you mirrored a lot of my head canon for Rainbow Dash there. AJ's talk with Scootaloo in the next chapter was close second, though.

In conclusion, great job :twilightsmile:
NTL

1861530because of your profile picture, I read the entire comment in rarity's voice.....it was fundl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/discord.png

awsome story really really good take that from someone that mostly read fic concerning scoot/dash or both and this is one of the best love not clop and that doesent end with one of them dying if not both that i read so far it was great :scootangel:

I take it there's not a sequel for this yet?

2089762
Not yet. It's kind of in the planning stages right now.

2089770 Oh, Ok. Take your time. I just wanted to know when, or even IF a sequel was going to happen. A suggestion, start the sequel at Scoot's/Dash's Wedding. And just so you know:

"That was AWESOME!!!"

Overall, a lot of fun to read. I think the scene of Scoots Sweetie and Bloom talking about getting new cutie marks is my favorite CMC scene from a fanfic. Your personalities for the Wonderbolts were awesome too.

Bravo sir.

I thought that the way you ended chapter 10 was absolutely marvelous! I can't wait to read more stories by you.

Zrix #40 · Mar 9th, 2013 · · 1 ·

Now is wish it was possible to like more than once. That was beautiful :twilightsmile:

Huh. And when I read the synopsis I thought it was bugger-all creepy. That was pretty solid though. Good on ya.

A+
Real feeling in here.

Thanks for the wonderful story.

So awesome. So, so awesome.

Yes, I skipped through the last couple chapters without commenting. It was exactly as awesome as it threatened to be after Chapter 8. At this point, I'm just full of all sorts of warm, fuzzy feelings and I don't know that I have much more to say. Oh, except that the Wonderbolts were fantastic. And Scoot figuring things out. And all the stuff with the kids. And.... Aaaagh! There's too much, but you've made me too happy to write coherently anymore, darn it!

I am very, very happy to add this story to my favorites list.

:scootangel:

Yay for happy ending! I admit, I don't think Scoots, should've won and ended up with Dash but those are really minor nitpicks in the grand scheme of how sweet and super fun this fic was. Thumbs up and moustaches for all! :moustache:

Someone recommended I read this fic after I had mentioned in a chat that I was interested in reading a ScootaDash shipfic, but with Scootaloo as an adult. I like the idea of the two meeting again years later and realize that they can now treat each other as equals. Since it seemed like a fairly short story (by my standards) I decided to sink my teeth into it immediately.

I found it to be well written, with a clear and well thought out story. However, its style didn't quite suited me. My main issue is that I find it too fast-paced. The way it's told is very straightforward and it does not really take the time to build up mood and atmosphere. The dialogue feels like it's been polished in order to move the story forward as quickly as possible. Scootaloo's relationship with Skylark is over before it has even begun, and the conflict with Rainbow is resolved far too quickly. I would have preferred that the relationship with Skylark was developed further, lasted longer and that she came of as more sympathetic and likable rather than just whiny.

I like how Rainbow and Scootaloo are portrayed – Rainbow's teasing and witty comments and Scootaloo's lack of self-confidence. During the story they both grow as characters and by the end it almost feels like Scootaloo is the more adult sounding of the two.

Although the story focuses quite heavily on sex it still keeps within the bounds of FIMFiction's teen rating. I am thankful that you didn't shy away from the topic. Too many shipfic authors seem afraid to end up with a mature rating and/or the stigma of being labeled as a clopfic. I tend to find reading page after page of ponies just kissing each other to be both tedious and silly. It's almost as bad as an overly explicit story.

Finally got around to reading this and...wow. I wasn't into the idea of a ScootaDash shipping fanfic, but this completely changed my opinions. Bookplayer, why must you keep on making me like ships that I hate? :raritydespair:
In all honesty, though, this was an amazing fanfic. Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash balanced each other out perfectly, and it was a very realistic portrayal of the way that their relationship would work out. 10/10.

2563056
If you're looking for romance, keep reading to chapter three. If you're looking for friendshipping, wrong fic.

If FwB bothers you in general, well, this story kind of shows the problems inherent in that type of relationship.

There are times that you use commas when you should use semicolons. But otherwise, in my opinion, you could stand to use a few more commas—like, after a "well" or "hey" that isn't really a part of the rest of the sentence it's in, or when a character is directly addressing another character with a name.

I like Apple Bloom. She's a bro to Scootaloo.
And then Sweetie Belle to Scootaloo and Fluttershy to Rainbow Dash, how they help them reach epiphanies. Man. A true, true friend'll be there to help you see, y'know?

Scoot smiled back, and took off for Ponyville with Sky right behind her. The trip was slower than she would have liked, and Sky occasionally mentioned what a long flight it was, which was kind of annoying. She avoided pointing out that the flight would be shorter if Sky would just fly a little faster. Scoot was nowhere near the fastest flyer around, and she knew Sky had to have at least an eight wingpower to be a flight school instructor. It was like she just didn’t feel like flying, something Scoot couldn’t understand right now.

I really like that "right now". Well placed.

There's a bunch of great laugh-out-loud moments in this fic.

A silly note: Rainbow Dash states in expanded-universe material (released a month after this fic ended) that peanut butter and zap apple jam sandwiches are her favorite food.

http://youcanthandlethehoof.tumblr.com/post/13112845137/lord-tristan-ponyconfessions-everybrony
http://reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/mqkdi/how_i_feel_after_the_last_2_episodes_shes_still/c333awp
:rainbowhuh:

This was pretty great overall, though I think that the build up could have gone on a bit longer, grinding the salt into Scootaloo's wounds a bit harder. Not temporally, but story-wise.

Login or register to comment