• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,383 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,383

PreviousChapters Next
November 30 [A Day in Colorado Springs]

November 30

It was nice waking up not hung over, and while I was still kind of sore from our long weekend, I didn't mind, 'cause it had all been fun.

My hips felt a little bit strange, like they were slightly out of joint, which I think was because of all the time I'd spent on the snowboard with my hooves anchored down, and when I stretched out my leg one of them cracked and it hurt at first but then it felt a lot better, so I stretched out the other one to see if it would, too, but it didn't want to cooperate. Maybe it was because I was lying on it.

I didn't want to wake Peggy up, so I got out of bed really slowly and she moved around a bit but stayed asleep.

I wasn't the first one up; John and Chrissie were both downstairs and I must have been a little bit tireder than I thought, 'cause her hair was wet and I hadn't heard her take her shower.

I got a cup of coffee and sat down at the table with them, and Chrissie asked me what I was planning to do for the rest of the week, and I had to tell her that I didn't know, but we'd find something fun to do. And I said that I wanted to do something with all of us, if we could, and if there weren't any caves.

And then I said that I was gonna go flying this morning and enjoy the sunrise, and she said that I had better get up in the air pretty quick if I wanted to because it wasn't going to be too much longer before it was over the horizon.

She gave John a goodbye kiss and then went out to the garage so that she could go to work, and he picked his newspaper back up and started reading it, while I drank my coffee and thought about where I could fly this morning. Since I'd spent the last four days up in the mountains, it might be interesting to see something else, so maybe I'd go east. I'd have to stay kind of low, at least until I passed out of the way of the airport, but it was so close it wouldn't be much longer than if I went any other way.

So that was where I was going to go, so I went back upstairs and got my flight gear, staying really quiet so that I didn't bother Peggy. And then I went back downstairs to get dressed and I happened to think about the fish I'd seen in the stream when I was flying through the mountain and asked John if I could catch one if I wanted to. He said that my Michigan fishing license wasn't valid in any other state, but if I did catch one nobody would know. And while that was probably true I didn't want to break the rules, so I wouldn't catch them.

I didn't take my GoPro, 'cause I'd forgotten to empty its memory or charge it up, but I made sure that I had all the rest of my gear, and then I went outside to the backyard, and John did too. And this time the airplane directors were a little bit less confused when I asked for flight clearance, but they weren't too happy that I didn't have a destination in mind. But I'd given them a compass bearing, and I thought that should be good enough. And I guess it was, because they said that I could but I had to stay low until I was out of their airspace.

So I flew over the fence and turned around long enough to wave goodbye to John, and then I flew across the open meadow between their neighborhood and the airport, angling off to the south.

I looked to make sure that there weren't any airplanes coming as I got close to the end of the runways, 'cause I knew that a big one might blow me away. And I was just past them, about a hundred feet above the ground, when I saw the sun start to come up over the plain.

I made short glides while I watched it rise—I wasn't high enough to glide very far—and then I climbed a little bit, but I still stayed pretty low. I didn't want to annoy the airplane directors by pushing my clearance, even though they probably would never know if I had.

There was a little neighborhood all by itself that was a little ways past the airport, and then I was in open land. I was following a road that was off to my south which had a few farms along it, but it wasn't like Michigan or Indiana where there were lots of farms that had their fields bound by trees—here there were just thin fences here and there, and they were mostly surrounding prairie grasses. Some of the fields had cows in them, but I didn't see any barns where the cows might live. Maybe they just stayed outside all the time, or maybe their pastures were bigger than I thought, and the barns further away. It was really hard to see exactly where all the fence rows went.

It all looked kind of dry, which was funny because of all the snow up in the mountains. But a lot of times mountains stopped clouds, and they dumped out all their moisture before they got across the mountain range, so the land on the downwind side didn't get very much rain or snow. And I saw a deep creekbed that confirmed my thoughts—it was cut a ways into the soil, but there wasn't any water in it at all. I bet when the rain did come, though, it filled all the way up.

I could see a couple more dry creeks going across the prairie, and also a dry lake off in the distance. And then in front of me I saw what I thought was a crater at first: it was a little bit of a depression, and I could kind of make out lines radiating out from it. And in the center there was a windmill on a short tower.

Once I got close, though, it was obvious what it was: there was a big, low tank that had some water in it, and all the trails that I was seeing were made by the big herd of cows that was relaxing just on the other side of the hill, and I was kind of disappointed that that's all it was. It would have been really neat to find a crater, especially if nobody had found it already.

Off to the north of me, there was a bunch of big buildings and parking lots and it was a really strange place for it to be, since there wasn't much of anything around it. So I thought about flying out there to get a look at it but then I decided that since it was off all by itself like that maybe that was because they didn't want people going there, and wouldn't be too happy if a pegasus flew overhead.

So I turned around and started flying back. I was too low to really see the airport, and its control tower sort of blended into the city, and I couldn't see their beacon turning. Maybe it was only on during the nighttime.

But it didn't matter, 'cause I had a road to follow and my watch knew where the airport was, too. And so when I called the airplane directors and told them that I was flying back, they gave me permission and told me to stay under a thousand feet and to let them know when I got within a mile of the airport, and I said that I would.

I liked the view flying back better—the mountains stretched across the horizon, and the sky was clear behind them. If I had time tomorrow, I thought that instead of flying through mountain valleys, I could see if I could get permission to fly along their peaks. Maybe I could land on a couple of them.

I saw an airplane landing before I actually saw the airport, but now I knew about where the end of the runway was, so I angled a little bit more south so that I'd clear it, and when I got over the little neighborhood I called the airplane directors again to let them know where I was.

They said that there was another big airplane landing soon and I could cross over the south end of the runways if I could be clear in four minutes, and I wasn't sure that I could—I probably could but I remembered how that one airplane had almost knocked me out of the air just from its wake, and if I was only a few hundred feet above the ground that wasn't much room to recover. So I told them that I'd just circle and wait, so I did. And it was a good opportunity to drink a little bit more water, too.

Even though I knew I was far enough away to be safe, I still got nervous as the airplane came in for its landing, just 'cause it was so big and quick. It looked like it was a long ways away at first and then all of a sudden it was right there.

I started flying towards the airport as soon as I saw it slow down at the other end of the runway, just so that I'd have plenty of time to get across before the next one came. And I didn't cut north this time; I just kept heading west until I was clear of the second runway, and then when I crossed the 21 road, I was right by Peggy's neighborhood so I started gliding down until I saw her house.

I looked both ways for cars and then I landed on the street next to Cobalt.

I had to push the doorbell so that I could get in, 'cause I didn't have a key. And at first nobody came to the door and I thought about pushing it again but that was probably rude—I could hear it outside so anyone who was inside ought to be able to hear it, too.

And after about a minute, John came and opened the door and let me inside. He told me that Peggy had just gotten up and that she was in the shower now, which meant that I'd have to wait for a turn.

So I went inside and got out of my flight gear and I sat at her desk and wrote in my journal until she came in the bedroom. She said that I should have knocked on the door, 'cause if she'd known I was back she would have finished sooner, but I said that it was okay.

When I got done with my shower I groomed myself, and then I went downstairs. Peggy had made macaroni and cheese and a salad for lunch. She also said that she had a can of pineapple if I wanted to have that.

It was kind of neat how all the pineapple was in rings that fit just inside the can, and it was all in pineapple juice which she poured into a cup so that she could drink it.

I asked her what she wanted to do in the afternoon, and she said that most of her friends who had visited liked to visit the gold mine but I probably wouldn't like that because it was underground. Then she said that there was a Go-Kart track north of town and we could do that, or else we could drive back into the mountains because the weather was a little bit nicer today. There were hot springs that were a couple of hours away, and also a big gorge that she said was really nice. They had a train that you could ride, too, but it only ran on the weekends.

So I said that racing Go-Karts would be fun, and she decided to see how many of her friends wanted to do it. She told me that these were different than the ones I'd driven before, because they were electric and it was inside, but you drove them the same way so I knew how to do that.

She sent telephone telegrams to all her friends, and then we went upstairs to her room so that I could plug in my GoPro, and put all the movies it had taken on her folding computer, so if I went flying tomorrow morning I could use it then. And while we were there she got a telegram from her friend Clive who said that him and Gina could meet us at the Go-Kart place in a few hours, but they were both working right now.

Peggy decided that she wanted to change her clothes to go Go-Karting, and then we got in Cobalt and drove into town.

We didn't go to the Go-Kart place right away; she took me on a little tour of town and showed me her high school, which was called Sierra. Their mascot was a stallion, and I asked her if that was why she wanted a pony roommate and she laughed and said that she thought it would be fun, and she'd been lucky to be the one who was picked. And she reached over and pet my mane and said that I'd been the best roommate she'd ever had even if I did shed all over the place, and I told her that that wasn't true; I hardly shed at all. Except when it was time for my winter coat to fall out; then I shed a lot.

She said that she was just pulling my leg, and we drove north through town and she took me by the Olympic Training Center, which was kind of close to where the #freethenipple protest had been. Probably nobody was out there without shirts today because it was a lot colder.

Then she went and drove to a big park called Palmer Park, and it was like mini-mountains. There was a spot where you could look over Colorado Springs, and there was also a big picnic area called Lazy Land. There wasn't anyone there today, but she said in the summertime it was pretty full.

There were also riding stables near the park, because there were therapeutic horses who helped people out that weren't healthy, which I thought was really neat. Peggy said that she didn't know a lot about it but that the horses somehow could help people who had trouble walking, and it wasn't just by carrying them where they needed to go.

We stopped the car and walked along one of the trails which went through a little pass in the rocks, and I flew up to the top of one of the rocks (it wasn't very high) and said that I was princess of the mountain, and so Peggy had to climb up, too, so we both could be princesses.

She asked me if I'd ever thought about sticking Equestrian flags in things and claiming them as my own, because that's what explorers used to do—whenever they found something new, they put a flag in it and said it was theirs.

I said that I hadn't brought any Equestrian flags with me or else I would have. And she said that maybe we should get some and she was sure that there was someone who sold them in Colorado Springs.

Peggy looked at her portable telephone and then she said that she'd found a store and she sounded like she was surprised by that. It was called Flagline.com, and it wasn't very far from the park.

She said that it had a internet name so probably it was just a headquarters and they didn't have any flags there, but since it wasn't very far away it wouldn't be any trouble to go there and look at it, and maybe if they didn't have any they would know who did.

So after we'd finished walking around the trail, we drove over there and it wasn't very far at all. And when we went inside it didn't look like a store at all, but they did have lots of flags on the wall and on posts and I did see that they had an Equestrian flag.

The woman at the front desk asked us who we were coming to see, and so Peggy explained what we were looking for, and she told us that they didn't ship from there and didn't keep product in stock, which was kind of what she'd expected. But the woman said that sometimes they had samples and she could check and see if there was anything, so she picked up her telephone and made a quick call and pretty soon a man in a suit who was named Brian came out and he was really helpful. He said that they'd gotten a shipment in of miniature flags to look at—he called them 'stick flags,' cause they came on a post—and he said that it might still be in back somewhere.

We sat down in the office and waited and pretty soon he came back with a handful of flags, and said that that was all that he had. They were on little plastic posts and he said that they did come with bases normally but those hadn't been included in the shipment since they were early samples, and he could go looking to see if he could find some, but Peggy said that we wouldn't need them. And then she asked him how much they cost, and he said that he'd just give them to us, since it was the first time a pony had ever come in asking for Equestrian flags.

Well, I was so happy that I had to give him a hug, and Peggy did, too, and she put the flags in her pocket and we went back out to Cobalt.

The Go-Kart track was north of town, near the Air Force Academy and a Bass Pro Shop, which was a place that sold things for fishing. They had a big plastic bass on their building, and also a boat out front which Peggy said was a bass boat. It was sleek and sparkly and looked like it was really fast, and it had a big motor on the back.

I told her that it didn't look anything like a bass, and she said that it wasn't supposed to; it was supposed to catch them, and I told her that our lobster boats looked like lobsters, and she looked at me like she wasn't sure if I was telling the truth or not. And then I stuck my tongue out at her and she started to laugh and then when we stopped the car she showed me a picture of a Wiener Mobile, which was a car that sold hot dogs and also looked like a hot dog.

We'd gotten there later than Clive and Gina, so when we found them we went right to the desk to get our tickets, and the person there wasn't sure if he should let me, but I was expecting that so I showed him my pilot's license and he asked me if I'd even driven a Go-Kart before and I told him that I had. And Peggy used her portable telephone to find some pictures of me driving the Go-Karts in Kalamazoo.

Then he said that he wasn't sure if he had a helmet that would fit me, and she said that we had one out in the car, and so she went out and got it and he looked at it and decided that it would be okay to wear.

We had to sign a paper, too. Humans make you sign a paper before you can do anything fun. And then we got in line.

While we were waiting, Peggy's telephone chirped and she looked at the message and said that us four were going to be the only ones there, 'cause Lindsay and Victoria had already made plans. Then she told me that Lindsay was really mad about it because she wanted to see me drive.

The Go-Karts drove a lot like the ones in Kalamazoo. They were a little bit quicker to accelerate, and they were really quiet, too, 'cause of their electric motors. But all the controls were the same, and after one lap I started to remember how to drive it, and pretty soon I was racing around the track and keeping up with Peggy and Gina and Clive. He was the fastest of us. I think I could have caught him if I'd gone faster, but there were a lot of turns and they slowed me down more than him.

I got a little more aggressive the second time we raced, and I passed him but then I was going too fast for a curve and the back of my car slid out and it bumped into the barrier and by the time I got it back on the track he was too far ahead for me to catch, so I concentrated on going through turns as fast as I could for the rest of that race. I didn't really get any better at them, because whenever I went too fast the back of the go-kart would start to slide, and then it always wanted to spin and I didn't know how to straighten it out.

So I never wound up beating him in a race, even though I wanted to. Even if he did slide into the barrier, he could get his go-kart going again quickly enough that he didn't lose too much time.

After we were done racing, Peggy said that we should all go to dinner together, so we ate at the Mikado Asian Bistro, which had sushi. I was the only one who wanted it, and I would have felt bad about that, but they also had Thai food which Gina liked, and Chinese food which Peggy and Clive liked, so everyone was happy with it.

We said our goodbyes in the parking lot, and then drove back to Peggy's house and before we went to bed, we all sat at the kitchen table and John taught me how to play Blackjack, which is a card game that's played in casinos. He said that since we were playing for fun he wouldn't use real money, so he used chips like Mister Salvatore had when he was playing poker with the tornado ponies.

It wasn't that hard a game to figure out, 'cause it was based on probabilities, so all I had to do was keep track of what cards had been played already to figure out what was going to come up next. Chrissie said that I was taking too long between my moves and you weren't supposed to count the cards.

I thought that was kind of silly, because how else would you know if you had a good chance of getting a card that you wanted.

After we'd played for a while, John had most of the chips because he was the dealer and the dealer usually won. John said that that was the rules for casinos, that the House always won.

Peggy promised that she wasn't going to sleep in until noon tomorrow, and she said that we'd go back into the mountains, and that I'd have a chance to fly and plant my flags, and then on Friday it was her parents' turn to come up with what we were going to do, 'cause Chrissie had the day off.

PreviousChapters Next