• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 11,428 Views, 610 Comments

Papa Gehrman - SolidArc5542



Beasts roam the streets of Yharnam. The hunters dream gives refuge to chosen hunters. An old hunter watches over the dream. Now, it is Equestria that needs to be watched over.

  • ...
32
 610
 11,428

Chapter XX

It was a sight that no one should have to see. But when you did you eventually get used to it; especially when you’re a hunter. But even so… the sight of innocent blood being spilled is something every hunter wishes to never see ever again. And Gehrman was no exception to this.

The First Hunter stared down at the weak form of his friend. He felt like his heart was about to stop beating every time Spike’s chest rose a little lower than it was supposed to. The baby dragon was covered with cloth, cloth that had now been stained by his blood. The deep cut that Gascoigne had inflicted on him was big, and would have to be closed. It had to be done quickly, or else he would bleed out in a matter of minutes. Gehrman dug his hands into every pocket he could find, trying to find something worth of use. He searched, but the only things he found were a few bloodstone shards, an old, outdated blood vial, and a piece of cloth that once belonged to someone dear to him. Gehrman crossed his fingers as he dug his hand into his last pocket. His fingers touched something, and the hunter smiled.

Fire Paper.

“Cauterize the wound,” he said to himself, un-sheathing his Burial Blade while walking towards Spike. He stopped when he watched Applejack and Rarity stare at him with tear-filled eyes. He gave a solemn nod before kneeling down beside Spike. He stared down at the baby dragon and his heart almost shattered when Spike slowly turned his head to look at him.

“D-Did it work?” the baby dragon asked, although his question could barely pass as one, coming of as more of a whisper than anything else. “Did you do it?”

“I… defeated him. I have the Crystal Heart. We did it,” Gehrman replied, reaching over to softly pat the dragon’s head. “You have proven yourself to me, young one. You are hunter material, my friend. And once you recover, I will teach you all that I know. That I promise you.”

“Nice try…” Spike replied, turning his head to look at the beautiful crystal ceiling of the Crystal Palace. “But I’m not that stupid.”

“I will save you,” Gehrman replied. He turned his head to Applejack and Rarity, but also noticed Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy standing behind them. “I need your help. Hold him down while I perform the necessary treatment.”

“What t-treatment? Will it make him better?” Rarity asked with a hopeful tone.

“It will stop the bleeding… I hope. But this is only one out of two options, and the other option is something I cannot use,” Gehrman replied, shaking the thought of using a blood vial on Spike out of his head. How could he even think of that in the first place? Was he that desperate? Gehrman’s eyes were now filled with determination as he instructed all four mares to hold down one limb of Spike. Gehrman looked down at his Burial Blade and nodded to himself before applying the fire paper to it.

For a brief moment all four mares were captivated when they saw the gorgeous orange flames dance around the well-crafted blade. The heat of the flames made them avert their gaze quickly, though. They watched as Gehrman lowered the blade, while simultaneously using his free hand to remove the cloth and squeeze the two large cuts tightly to one another.

Spike screamed in agony when he felt Gehrman touch the wound, and his screaming only intensified when he lowered the flame covered blade to the wound. Any normal flame might have slightly burned his scales, but this fire was like it was from another world. It was nothing like dragon fire—no, it was worse. Far worse. The flames burned his wound shut, and the smell of burned meat was now present in the throne room.

All four mares had to prevent themselves from vomiting. Not only because of the smell, but after everything they had witnessed. So much blood. So much death. This was not what they had in mind. Not at all. They had fought enemies that were evil, but the enemy they had now faced—this, this Gascoigne he… he was another evil - demonic, even. What kind of man would do such a thing? What kind of man would hurt a child—a baby? Normally some of their adversaries were forgiven, even if they did terrible things. But they would never forgive Gascoigne for this.

Never.

And the worse thing of all… Twilight has no idea what happened to her assistant. They had send Pinkie Pie out to find her, hoping that with her set of “skills” she would be able to find Twilight as soon as possible.

The four mares all stared at Spike, and then at Gehrman. “I need new cloth as soon as possible,” he said, not averting his eyes from Spike. “Could you get me that?” he continued.

“I got you,” Rainbow Dash replied before taking off. In her mind she hoped to return as soon as possible… but she could not bear to see Spike in this state. But she could not have her thoughts drift off to that. She needed to get those bandages!

Gehrman let out a long sigh before standing up. “The Crystal Heart,” he said, taking the item out of his Charred Hunter’s coat. “We must return it to its original place,” he continued, bringing his attention to Cadance. “Princess, will you return it?” he asked.

Cadance looked at Gehrman before nodding her head. Using her magic to levitate the heart out of Gehrman’s hand, she looked at it before walking away from the group with her husband, who had decided to follow her. She just wanted this to be over. Sombra was defeated, and Gascoigne… well, she did not know what had gotten into that delusional mind of his, but when he turned against Sombra she was almost hopeful. Hopeful that evil would bring down evil. But alas good would always triumph, and Gehrman emerged victorious out of both fights.

‘You think that old fool is a hero?’ an all too familiar voice echoed through Cadance mind, shocking the pink-coated mare.

‘Where… what are you?’ Cadance thought to herself, not wanting to attract unwanted attention to herself. Shining had already been through enough. Thinking his wife might be crazy because she’s talking to herself would only worsen the situation. Cadance decided to press on, wanting to know who it was that was talking to her. ‘You’re the same voice as before. After Gascoigne had assaulted me, you talked to me. You were asking all these weird questions. Tell me who you are.’

‘I am that which cannot be understood. You have my blood running through your veins. You're no longer a normal Alicorn. You are something greater. You hold a power that you cannot possibly comprehend. A power that, had it been unleashed, could have destroyed Sombra and Gascoigne simultaneously. But alas the First Hunter had to end their tyrannical ways. Such a shame… but Gascoigne’s part is far from over… as is yours,’ the voice replied, taking a long pause before continuing. ‘Tell me, child, are you afraid of me?'

Cadance blinked. ‘Well it’s not every day you have a voice talking in your head. Ponies might think I’m crazy should tell them about this.’

‘There is no need for someone else to get involved into this,’ Oedon said, chuckling to himself. ‘You need to be worried. I am not going to hurt you in any way. The only thing I request from you is your assistance.’

Cadance raised an eyebrow at Oedon’s request. ‘And why would you need my assistance?’ Cadance asked the Great One.

‘Because there are still innocents suffering as we speak. Perhaps not in this world, but in Yharnam. My kin has deceived the humans, such as the First Hunter and Gascoigne for long enough. I have taken it upon myself to cleanse the world from evil such as my kin’s. I will not idly sit back and watch as the world tears itself to pieces. I will punish malefactors, whether they are human… or my own,’ Oedon replied and a long pause soon followed. ‘This must be stopped, and I will need your help in doing so. Gehrman will not travel to the place I have sent Gascoigne to, so I ask you to go there. You have my blood. You'll be able to travel through the place I want you to go. Once you arrive, I'll instruct you on what to do next.’

“Just hold on a second!” Cadance exclaimed.

Shining Armor stared with a look of confusion on his face at his wife. Raising an eyebrow, the prince asked. “Hold on? Honey, we’re right where we want to be.” He chuckled, motioning to the original resting place of the Crystal Heart. “Why would we want to stop?”

“Right,” Cadance quickly replied, shaking her head. “You’re right. It was a stupid thing to say.”

“You’re probably just tired. I mean we all are,” Shining replied, looking at his wife. “Do you want to do the honor?”

“Let’s do it together,” Cadance replied.

And so husband and wife placed the Crystal Heart back where it belonged, and a blinding light shone through the Crystal Empire. Ponies cheered as they changed back into their old forms—those of Crystal ponies. And even though Fluttershy and the others were affected too, they paid little mind to it. For their friend was still hurt, and another had just returned…


A strange feeling fell upon Spike when he opened his eyes. He was having trouble adjusting his eyes to the bright white light that shone through… wherever he was. He looked around and saw… nothing, just white. It was like he was just standing in a white room.

“What the?” Spike asked, taking a few steps backwards. “Hello? Anypony out here?”

‘You could say that, child,’ a voice suddenly echoed through the room. ‘So how did it feel to be the hero instead of the moral support?’ the voice continued.

“Moral support?” Spike asked, crossing his arms. “I’ll have you know that—hey wait a minute, where am I?!” Spike exclaimed. “Who are you? Where is Twilight? Where’s the Crystal Empire?”

‘All safe and sound, no thanks to you.’ the voice replied. ‘Young Spike, my name is Oedon, and I will be your guide.’

“My guide?” Spike repeated in confusion, holding his claw under his chin. “What’cha mean?”

‘There is a great conflict that must be stopped. My plan has already been set in motion, and for it to succeed I need your help. You are cursed with blood. I can help you overcome this ordeal… but I will need your full cooperation,’ Oedon replied.

“Well… I’d love to help but… I don’t know, this all is a little too much to take in at once,” Spike admitted, shaking his head. “I mean I was hurt by a crazy guy with an axe and--.”

‘All I need to know is this: will you help me achieve my goal for total peace? Your reward will be… beyond your wildest dreams,’ Oedon cut Spike off.

“But why?” Spike asked, raising an eyebrow. “I mean I’m just a baby dragon, I’m not that special. If you really want help you should go ask Twilight. I mean she would be happy to help you out—not that I don’t want to help you, but… well, you know what let’s just start over. Hi, my name is Spike.” Spike said, holding out his claw. “Oedon, right?”

‘I have no time for childish games. Lives are at stake, and as we speak right now people are dying in another world. Do you want to prevent the deaths of innocent people, or do you simply not care? Are you that cold-blooded, or are you just scared of that which you do not know?’ Oedon replied.

“I… I’m not scared, I’m just confused,” Spike retorted, crossing his arms. “And If I agree, what will happen to me? I won’t die or anything, right? … Right? It’s not like you’re going to kill me if I don’t agree, right?”

‘Do not worry. I’m not going to kill you. I have other uses for you…' Oedon’s voice echoed through the white room Spike was standing in, and a tingly feeling went up his spine. And before the young dragon could say anything, a bright white light once again blinded him.


“Gehrman let me go!” Twilight shrieked over sobs, her tear-stained face making even the hardest and toughest of hearts break. It was the face of utter sadness and grief. Twilight struggled to be released from Gehrman’s grip, but he would not let her go.

“There is nothing you can do now. He needs to rest,” Gehrman replied.

“But I can use my magic to heal him! Just let me go!” Twilight replied, continuing her struggle to be released by Gehrman. “I want to help him. I need to help him.”

“You already tried,” Gehrman said in a soothing voice, stroking her mane comfortingly. “You tried your best, but even Rainbow Dash could see that your magic did not work on him.” Gehrman paused to bow his head respectfully to Dash, hoping his statement had not offended her. “You mustn’t make hasty decisions, lest they make this situation worse. All we can do now is wait for him to open his eyes…”

“And what if he doesn’t?” Twilight sobbed, shaking her head before burrowing it in Gehrman’s shoulder. “What if he doesn’t open them? I don’t want to lose my family. I don’t want to lose him.”

“You will not lose him,” Gehrman replied. “I will not have it.” Gehrman turned to look at Spike one more time before turning his attention back to Twilight. She needed comfort, and lots of it. In all honesty everyone did. This battle had taken its toll on everyone… expect for Gehrman. This was nothing compared to Yharnam. But those are two different things, and the fact that the Old Blood, a Great One, and a rogue hunter followed him into this peaceful world meant that he had to do what he wanted to leave behind for so long.

He would have to hunt them down.

“Gehrman?”

Gehrman turned his head, only to be greeted by Shining Armor. “Yes, Prince Shining Armor?” he asked, still stroking Twilight’s mane while doing so.

“After everything, I haven’t even thought of your wellbeing. Gehrman, are you feeling okay? You took on Gascoigne and Sombra all by yourself,” he said, observing the hunter for any injuries. “That is something on its own. You’re the most skilled warrior I have ever seen, and I’ve seen some very skilled warriors in my time as a recruit and Captain.”

“I appreciate your concern,” Gehrman replied, bowing his head. “But it is not needed. I am fine. I cannot say the same about young Spike, however.”

“Sombra paid for this, you made sure of that. And so did Gascoigne.” Shining retorted. “It’s just that… I don’t understand why Spike would go to such efforts to help you. But I’m glad he did. He did always say he wanted to be a hero.”

“Yes, but look around you,” Gehrman said. “We are all heroes. But in the end the hero will stand alone, when all is said and done.” Gehrman sighed, closing his eyes before continuing. “And young Spike stands alone. The enemies have fallen one by one, but the clock is ticking. I fear something greater is about to happen.”

“Is that a good or a bad thing?” Shining asked.

“I cannot tell… its motives are still unknown to me,” Gehrman replied.

Its?” Shining asked, taking a step back. “Don’t tell me it’s not over,” he breathed out.

‘It will be,’ Oedon’s voice suddenly echoed through Cadance… and Spike’s mind.

And before anyone could do something, Cadance fainted… her consciousness fading and transported to a place no man, woman or child would ever dare to venture.

Comments ( 38 )

Dammit Oedon, stop complicating things so much!

OEDON, YOU LEAVE SPIKE OUT OF THIS! HASN'T HE HAD ENOUGH?!

frankly i'm surprised pinkie can't hear oedon.

And how I hope that Oedon gets his just desserts when this is all said and done. "Did you think we would stop at just your kin? No it is now time for you to sleep the dreamless sleep."

Or something to that effect.

So it begins. Very well done on this chapter. I can't wait to see what Spikes and Cadence's reaction will be when they arrive at Yharnam.

7655249 Who said anything about Yharnam? :ajsmug: They'll arrive at a place that is considered to be worse than Yharnam.

7655296 The hunters nightmare.

7655296
Well then... I bet Maria hasn't had any good company in ages.

:ajsmug: Heh. I find this amusing, since I was about to do a Luna run on Bloodborne. Maybe I'll take Cadance through instead... Nightmares are interesting, wouldn't you agree?

“Yes, but look around you,” Gehrman said. “We are all heroes. But in the end the hero will stand alone, when all is said and done.” Gehrman sighed, closing his eyes before continuing. “And young Spike stands alone. The enemies have fallen one by one, but the clock is ticking. I fear something greater is about to happen.”

Yes, spike will Truely Survive.

Bit of an odd place for a Kung Fury reference, but I'm still surprised no one else has pointed it out yet

no man, woman or child would veer dare to venture.

I think you meant "ever" there.

Awesome stuff, this chapter, awesome stuff. I like it.

More please i really like this

This is really awesome! I hope that you continue it soon.

What wonderful story! I read through this yesterday and today, and it was quite worth it! I hope that you will continue this story, because not only is it well done, but engaging and immersive. Very few Bloodborne stories on this site that I can say the same about.

Are you still writing this story?

8083507 Fucking hippocrite....

8200702 Published dates, mate. Furthermore, ADWTF Isn't set in Ponyville in any way. W/e.

7655296
the hunter’s nightmare?

8269200
Yep, there are just some story in which other characters aren't really important for me, or maybe even to many of them.
Like some people already said it is much more difficult to write several characters and make it look good than just a few.

Is this dead?

What an awesome cliff-hanger to die on. Oh, wow, the puns!

8766007
Test their durability against a Vulcan cannon!

Almost two years since the last update:fluttershysad:, will we ever see the end of this story:pinkiesad2:?

10084264
Yes, four years down the line, that is indeed a worthwhile comment to make as I certainly have not heard it a hundred times before :)

Comment posted by Aether Spark deleted Sep 24th, 2020

7665192
What will happen to Spike and Cadance? will this Oedon guy corrupt them?

8425944
need more

And just re-read this entire story, and still awaiting an update, which i'm personally looking forward to, don't know if it'll happen, but I'm patient, I can wait.

Chapters 29 and 30 supposed to be Chapter XXIX and Chapter XXX

Man, this story is so good. I hope one day you come back to it and finish it.

Well this has been one helluva tale so far would love to see it complete one day ^^. More so cause I'm playing Bloodborne for the first time now. Fun times

We know we're going to see a next chapter of the story I really interested in it and I really want to see more.

It’s been 8 years. I’m still holding onto a sliver of hope that this gets updated again.

Login or register to comment