• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 20,645 Views, 3,414 Comments

Just Girls Talking - MythrilMoth



Ponies and their human counterparts talk about various things.

  • ...
94
 3,414
 20,645

PreviousChapters Next
Terminology

Author's Note:

Spoilers for "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" abound.

This is unrelated to my story "Trinity", but you can think of it as an outtake if you like.

Five fillies sat in a circle in the Cutie Mark Crusaders' clubhouse, deep in contemplation of a weighty matter, one which had far-reaching implications. Truly, it was a question that could very well affect the fate of all Equestria!

"So...are they badges or are they shields?" Scootaloo asked.

"Maybe they're crests!" Silver Spoon suggested brightly.

"Hmm. Crests," Apple Bloom said thoughtfully. "Ah kinda like that..."

"I don't like crests," Sweetie Belle says. "It sounds too...snooty. Stuck up. Fancy noble families have crests. Those big private schools in Canterlot have crests." She looked at her own flank. "I say they're badges."

"Why would they be badges?" Scootaloo asked. "What are we, the Cutie Cops?" She flexed her wings. "I think they're shields. Shields are awesome. Shields are strong."

Apple Bloom gave her a sidelong glance. "Scootaloo, just 'cuz you an' Rainbow Dash read Captain Equestria together..."

"It's got nothing to do with that!" Scootaloo insisted. "Just...think about it! Shields protect things! Well...we're protecting ponies from, umm...from not knowing how to be happy with themselves! Or something."

The fillies thought about that for a moment.

"Crests are prestigious," Diamond Tiara said. "Crests say 'this pony is important'."

"Yeah, an' that's th' kinda thinkin' that made your mom th' way she is," Apple Bloom pointed out.

Diamond Tiara winced. "Point taken."

Apple Bloom sighed. "Sorry," she said, folding her ears back.

"No, it's...it's alright," Diamond Tiara said. "I guess...I'm still trying to decide which of the things she taught me are worth remembering, and which I'm better off forgetting."

"You know, now that I think about it," Silver Spoon said, "badges make more sense. Think about, like...merit badges."

"Hmm," Apple Bloom said thoughtfully. "Not sure that logic works, but Ah do like badges better than crests."

"But do you like badges better than shields?" Scootaloo asked.

"They really do look more like shields," Diamond Tiara said slowly.

The fillies sat in silence for a long moment.

"Maybe we should ask some of the boys what they think," Silver Spoon suggested.

"Not so sure Ah want th' boys inspectin' mah flank," Apple Bloom said. Sweetie Belle giggled; Scootaloo and Silver Spoon snickered.

"You know, though," Diamond Tiara said, "I think you'd be less worried about what to call them and more worried about what the part that's different says about each of you."

Apple Bloom shrugged. "That's easy. Ah'm an Apple, an' Ah love mah family."

"I like to sing," Sweetie Belle said. "And...I guess maybe I've always wanted to be on Bridleway one day? Even though my first play was kind of a flop."

Scootaloo glanced back at her flank, frowned, and shook her head. "I got nothin'," she said. "But that's okay because I know who I am."

"Wow, you three really are Cutie Mark experts," Silver Spoon said.

"Well, Ah dunno about all that," Apple Bloom said. "We still can't figure out if these are badges, crests, or shields."

A long, silent moment passed.

The five fillies sighed in unison. "Yeah..."

PreviousChapters Next