• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 5,381 Views, 142 Comments

After the Fall - Sapidus3



Everyone is dead. She doesn't know who is responsible, just that somepony activated the ultimate weapon. Only four ponies survived and now try to find meaning in the great wasteland. Celestia will just be happy if she can find a way to heal Twilight.

  • ...
10
 142
 5,381

Chapter Seven - Chaos

You poor thing. I remember what you were like you know? You were brilliant once. Somewhere in there I think you are brilliant still. I’m not sure if I ever told you just how much I appreciated your friendship. You showed me a better way. I always thought I could not be myself without being alone. You and your friends helped me see the light.

I don’t have any friends.

Oh, you poor thing.

I’m not sure what that is.

It’s not your fault you know.

They are words.

But I suppose deep down you know that. That’s not your problem, is it? Sometimes ponies simply break.

They have meaning. I can understand the meaning. It’s like a dozen different pieces all spontaneously coming together by pure chance.

I wish I could do something for you, I really do.

I think it is a voice.

But your mind… It is the last bastion of chaos in this dreary wasteland. All of this destruction is nothing but order in its purest, bleakest form.

It is definitely a voice.

I want to do something for you, I really do… But I think you are the only thing keeping me alive.

It’s not mine. It’s not coming from me.

Even if I wanted to help though, there is not much I can do. All the shelves are gone. I can’t replace those. I can’t make something out of nothing.

“The manipulation of probability?”

How did you figure so much out about my magic anyway? I thought I had been clever. But then again, I suppose you always were a clever pony.

I recognize the voice. I’ve heard it before. But it’s not coming from the outside. It’s whispering into my mind.

I’m sorry. I really am, and… No! I can’t leave a friend like this.

All around me the wasteland is filled with books, scattered about. I look around and see that I am the only pony here. Dust billows in the air.

I can’t do much, not with the shelves gone. But I can help a little.

A wind swirls around me, opening all the books and they flip through their pages. As I look at the cloud of dust I think I see it forming a face.

Ahh, yes. I’m afraid a solid form, even a mismatched one is too much for me now. Ponies are a source of such chaos. They fight; they argue. Ponies love and hate. They are inconsistent and change their minds. They are even capable of believing in two contradictory beliefs at once. Ponies are so beautiful in all of their complexity. But once a pony is dead? It is just dead. There is nothing else. No chance, only the slow rate of decay with minor variation at best.

“Discord.”

Very good, little Twilight. Let me give you an award. I think I’ve found the books you need.

I watch as the dust seems to lift up various texts and sorts them into piles around me. The field of books is still there. Most of them are still scattered and untouched, but the piles are within hoof reach.

I know they are all just going to get jumbled up again the next time that you fall. It’s impossible to really sort them without the shelves. But maybe just for a little while you can be more like your old self, and maybe it will make my little sisters happy.

A word pierces through my haze. “Sisters?”

Nothing for you to worry about. Ah, I should probably move these books somewhere else. I don’t see how they can help you now.

I see a few nearby texts fly far from me, landing out with the books near the edge of my vision. As they land against the ground with a thud, it seems like the cloud of dust is growing less substantial.

I am afraid that helping you sort through this mess has taken a lot out of me. I think even a random cloud of dust is too much now. I suppose I’ll let all my bits scatter on the wind to the ends of Equestria. Eventually some of my particles will find one another again, and what a lovely moment of chance that will be.

The dust is blowing away. But it is hesitating. It is waiting for something.

Finally Sunbutt is here. I was wondering how long it would take her.

The cloud no longer has form.

I suppose I really overdid it this time. Hopefully I’ll see you again in a few hundred years, though I don’t know if you’ll notice the passage of time. But maybe we’ll run into one another in only a few months. That’s the nature of chaos after all. Ahh, I can feel all of my parts going every which way. It is glorious…

The voice was gone.

“Luna, I found her.”

It was a different voice. A voice from the outside. I recognized it and felt that it was important that I understand what it was saying.

I can feel some sort of warmth enveloping me, and pressure on all sides. I don’t know what it is, but it feels good. I like feeling warm.

“Oh, Twilight, don’t you go wandering off on me.” Was the voice crying? “I was so worried.”

I can sense the word, but it does not crash against me this time. I lean into the warmth, but look down.

The cloud has left me a stack of books and I want to understand. I begin to furiously page through the books around me while I enjoy the warmth. Somewhere I would find meaning. This is an important riddle. I need to answer this one.

“Please Twilight, you need to promise me. I didn’t mean what I said earlier. I won’t ever leave you alone again. Just promise me you won’t scare me like that again.”

I want to make the voice happy. I want to make the voice stop crying. This is the most important puzzle she has ever given me.

I put my hoof down square in the center of a page. I found the words I was looking for.

“Celestia, I’m sorry.” I finally manage to say.

+++

Approval Rate Drops

For the fifth straight month, polls have shown a drop in the approval rate of the majority party’s administration.

When questioned, most ponies seem to blame Minister Glowing Radience's reluctance to expand Equestria's sphere of influence and inability to find a solution for the current crisis plaguing Equestria.

In the last week, wildfires have been burning outside of Trottingham. The origin of the fires has been attributed to cutbacks in local weather regulation and a failure in Equestria's response.

Said one source, "Something should have been done about this as soon as ponies knew it was a problem. Instead, we are just now talking about mobilizing rain from Cloudsdale?"

Author's Note:

I said this chapter would be short.

Story Edit: 1/23/15
So I goofed. In an earlier chapter I had Twilight refer to Celestia by name. I should NOT have done that. I've gone back and edited that out of the offending lines of dialog. The close of this chapter is the first time in the story that Twilight has found Celestia's name.

It happened because the very first scene I wrote was Twilight waking up from her nightmare. At this point in time, Twilight was going to be in a lot of chronic pain, but still was going to be functioning. Then I thought, where's the fun in that. Twilight needs to be utterly broken.

Anyway, sorry if that took away some of the punch of this chapters close.

Other Stuff:
This chapter was originally going to be second person from Discord's perspective, but then I realized that he didn't have a cutie mark for me to use as a chapter heading.

I came very close to ending the entire story here, and just making the whole thing a bleak snapshot in time with no indication of how long they have been wandering and how long they might remain wandering. However, I decided that it left too many dangling plotlines and I would take it further. That being said, I feel that I could mark this as complete here and be more or less satisfied.

Time for me to bounce back to Equestria's Twilight for a week of so, then we have a Celestia chapter coming up next.

Comments ( 46 )

okay wait based on how Cadance is feeling and how Luna and Celestia sometimes fight wouldn't that help Discord out with that also is Twilight starting to go back to her old self??? OH I CAN'T WAIT TO READ MORE SOON!!!

5541165

That's not really enough to sustain an entity. Meanwhile Twilight's going through enough trauma for probably several dozen ponies, which seems to be the only thing keeping him alive. Cadence isn't being chaotic so much as creating her own sense of order. Celestia and Luna's fighting is practically routine at this point. I imagine he gets very little from them, and the lion's share from Twilight. But even that's not enough to bring him back fully.

These Twilight chapters were amazing. Looking forward to more.

NOOOOO! I need MOAR!!!!:flutterrage:

I'm glad you decided to continue this story, I'm hooked and I like where it's going! awaiting the next chapter!

dude never quit this story. i would like to see Twilight recover and find out what exactly happened. judging by the article snippets it is proving on this true. Democracies cannot long function

well it was short, but pleasant, you wrote discord in a beautiful way. not his self, but him all the same.

Discord :fluttercry:

Nitpick:

Glowing Radience's

Is there a reason his name isn't spelled "Radiance"?

i would like this story twice if i could. your words are so powerfully real and your characterization is believable to the point of crossing lines between fiction and reality. And your plot is tied together perfectly- details coming out and weaving together, nothing being thrown into the readers face, but rather offered- which makes it so much more delectable when found. This is already one of my favorite fanfictions, please do not stop!

Don't you end it here, man that would be crushing. I love this struggle and I want them to succeed or fail but I want to know. Not be left at a cliff hanger.

That was a beautiful short chapter. I could voice Discord quite well in this terminally ordered, melancholy setting. Also, him bringing Twilight back to a place to at least start from, thereby disintegrating himself in a last act of defiance, is something I can easily imagine him doing.

Hmm... and yes, you could end the story here. It fits.
No that I'd complain if you continue. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of your work, but I agree about it being more or less complete here. I'm aware of certain gaps, but this would be such a beautiful closing scene.

5543623 Crushing is sort of his gig.

5550999 So like have them fail, I just want to know one way or another.

5551091 Wait, you phrase that as if there's some hope of succeeding or things going well, and the audience is up in the air.
To clarify, you aren't looking for an actually happy end are you?

5551127 I'm looking for a end, I hate ambiguous things. I just want to know what happens.

Oh, this was truly beautiful. Poor Discord, poor Twilight, poor everyone - but I love that final act from him. And it really shows how much he has changed - his reformation is a subject many fanfiction writers (and the show itself) stumble around with, but having him give up the last of his power to help a friend at the cost of his continued existence for the near future - it's such a pure, poetic action.

Hmm... so it looks like Cadance is turning into a Changeling, Luna seems to be going into some form of withdrawal because of the lack of pleasant dreams(or something to that effect), Discord was using Twilight to cope with the stagnant order that the world has fallen into, though he at least seemed to help her a tad there at the end, Twilight's mind is in utter shambles, and Celestia is trying her best to take care of everything and stay afloat. Fantastic. This story looks to be going in a very entertaining direction. I can't wait for the next chapter.

5551137 5551127 5542265
Just to be clear, if the author's notes were ambiguous, I do plan on continuing this, I just need to resolve a small issue first. Having this as the ending would be far better than what I currently have in mind. I'm not going to publish another chapter until I have that fixed. I am considering marking this as complete and putting the rest in as a sequel, but that seems kinda cheap (If I do that in this case, then it means I don't think the second half is going to live up to the first).

5550999
When I saw your comment I thought to myself "You know, I haven't written anything crushing recently." Of course, then I looked at everything I have written recently for After the Fall and Equestria's Twilight. I suppose it just feels that way by number of stories (I suppose I need more crushing one shots).

5558331 if need be, put it on hiatus till you figure this issue out.

the only other advice I have is think what your ultimate goal is for the story, where you want to end it.

5558331 Please give us more crushing one shots.

Author noticed my comment! :twilightblush:

I can sense the word, but it does not crash against me this time.

Um... why? In the last chapter this word brought her pain.

Hmmmmm.

So... they gonna just stick around until evolution kicks out something sapient again, or are they gonna figure out how to quicken the process?

Anyway, if Cadance can keep herself in check for the thousand years that Twilight mentioned, it seems like they actually have a chance here.

Actually didn't Discord have a cutie mark in his pony form during the season 4 finale?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, to me it sounded like you were on hiatus from ponies in general, so you might not be close to watching the season 4 finale.

I do hope this doesn't go complete. I mean, yes, it could. I can see where things would go from here, and in the end they would work out again.

But I don't want it to end because it would leave the tantalizing past unresolved, and you've made it clear that you know what went down there.

And, well, while I can invent myself an ending, I would rather see the one the author creates.

5578528
Because Discord made a temporary fix on her.

You know what would be really funny? If that oh-so-far-away love Cadance felt was really Celestia/Luna's, but just on the other side of the globe, and she went all the way around the world chasing it.:pinkiecrazy:

Well, so far, while the grammar might occasional be wanting, but you have me intrigued by where you're going with this.

I'm sorry to bug you and i know i've commented on this chapter before but do you know when the next chapter will be up it just it has been a month since your last chapter and i'm just wondering what will happen next thank you and sorry for bugging you:twilightsmile:

5558331 Reminds me of the Tombstone's song September

Hey, are you alright? You haven't updated in a while.
I wouldn't ask, except every other author I'm tracking seems to have spontaneously gone on holiday, and frankly I'm worried there's some kind of conspiracy here.

....It's exams isn't it:ajsleepy:

I'm sorry to bug you again I was just wounding when this story will updating this story it just its been so long that like some other story's that song song gets stuck in my head so here is a pmv of that song for you hope you like it :twilightsmile:

We need more of this. A brilliant story. We need to know what happened with them. :raritywink:

I do hope to see more!

Love this story so much. I've never seen the princesses so broken......

Sorry for bugging you yet again but I was woundering if you know when you might be posting the next chapter?

I'm sad it seems to end here. This really is a novel idea.

Sorry for bugging you again but I was woundering if you know when you might be posting a new chapter to this story? Also I hope you had a happy hoilday and will have a happy new year

sorry for bugging you yet again but do you know when the next chapter will be posted?

sorry for bugging you once more but are you okay you have been off fimfic for some time now?:fluttershysad:

dead. this author is dead. this story is dead. all of the greatest fics a dead before being finished. why?

I read this days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Flowers for Algernon doesn't hold a candle to this.

so sad the author has never logged back in since 2015. Dropping the story off my huge list. :raritydespair:

It's a shame that this was never completed, but I'm glad I still read what is here.

Login or register to comment