• Published 24th Apr 2014
  • 8,399 Views, 444 Comments

Floret - Crystal Moose



Apple Bloom was expecting to find out about the niece she never knew existed. What Applejack shares with her, a secret she held for so many years, threatens to shake Apple Bloom’s world.

  • ...
10
 444
 8,399

Epilogue

Eight Months Later…

Apple Bloom closed the door behind her as she crept down the hall. She looked down to the small paper in her hooves, uncertain if she was ready to do this.

Miss Cheerilee had helped her with it, and had even encouraged her. “Better late than never,” Miss Cheerilee had said, with a knowing smile. “I know she will appreciate it.”

She hadn’t been able to say it out loud yet… maybe she never would… but that didn’t mean she couldn’t find some other way to tell Applejack.

Apple Bloom quietly opened the door to Applejack’s room, and crept in.

“Mornin’ Bloom,” Applejack chuckled from her bed. “Ya ain’t as quiet as ya think.”

“Oh… sorry,” Apple Bloom apologised.

“Ain’t no problem, Ah was about t’ get up anyway.” Applejack patted the spot on her bed next to her. “What’s up, Sugar Plum?”

Without a word, Apple Bloom gave her the small piece of paper.

Comments ( 96 )

now another sequel :trollestia:
with more bonding.

HNNG! :applecry:
Now for the sequel!

Is there supposed to be an image after 'Without a word, Apple Bloom passed the small card across.'? Cause there's a large white space there and, no image.

edit: Derp, it loaded now.

Well, that was certainly faster than I'd thought you'd finish the story publication...

4448646
As in the story was paced poorly, or that I usually take forever to finish a story? :raritywink:

4448681

Can't say I'm at liberty to make that call. I was just referring to my own expectations on when this story would update; you've been doing about one chapter per day, so four parts in one day is a bit sudden.

4448681

Maybe because you skipped the editing. I enjoyed the story. Thank you.

This was truly sweet... :pinkiesad2:

ok dawwww that was SO CUTE !! :twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

I swear that needs a sequel! You've written a wonderful story and I'm so happy I've read it. :twilightsmile:

People keep asking for a sequel, but I really don't think it needs it.

Oh, and also... congratulations on getting your story featured on the main page! :twilightsmile:

4448699
That has to do with the blog post I posted :raritywink:

It's either that, or wait for weeks for the last few chapters.

4448905

Ironically, no it doesn't. I didn't even see the blog post until well after I finished the Epilogue.

4448820
I never said I was going to justify her bullying. There is a difference between why something is, and justification for why something is.

I am still going to stand by my comment earlier that no child deserves violence towards them. Punishment, yes. Physical harm, no.

4448915
That might have to do with fimfic, then.

Because I wrote that post about five minutes before releasing the final chapter and the epilogue.

The other possibility is timezones. When I release them, I am going by my local timezones, so I see:

:: Chapter Six (unedited) · 22nd May 2014
:: Chapter Seven (unedited) · 23rd May 2014
:: Chapter Eight (unedited) · 24th May 2014
:: Chapter Nine (unedited) · 25th May 2014
:: Chapter Ten (unedited) · 26th May 2014
:: Chapter Eleven (unedited) · 26th May 2014
:: Epilogue (unedited) · 26th May 2014

Unlike Celestia, I don't have control of the sun, so I do not dictate the days, but I have been going by my own local timezone :trollestia:

4448925

Seems like we're at least six or more hours apart, considering that I've got the day before on my available list. But yeah, one per day was becoming the schedule.

4448943
One per day was the original schedule, I wanted to actually have the epilogue up on Mother's Day, but due to real world time constraints and emergencies, that schedule got thrown out the window completely. :raritydespair:

IMN

Now that was a great ending for a great story,:pinkiesad2: thank you :pinkiehappy:

4448538 4448547 4448702 4448770
I had some vague idea's for a sequel, which in all honesty, will likely not happen. Because it was only tangentially related to this story (an Apple Bloom/Dinky Doo friendshipping story), which honestly could be written without linking to Floret, or even using Dinky Doo.

So most likely not going to see any more in this series.

But I am a sucker for the Apple family, and I do have some more Apple family fun in the works. Just, don't expect it for a few months!

4448799
I don't really see a need for it either, tbh.

:raritycry: :fluttercry: :applecry: The feels!!!!

This was glorious. A job well done sir

You should totally do a parallel of this story from Applejack's perspective. No doubt this was a turbulent time for her as well.

4449079
That would likely kill me.

4448967

Yeah, I can understand that. One of the guys I've helped work on a story with wanted to try and get a chapter out once a week, and eventually fell out of that routine due to personal time. He's still working on his stuff, but that's beside the point.

This story drags on quite a bit as I stated earlier. For me personally, it probably needs less chapters and it definitely needs more dialogue. Most of the ponies we see don't talk with Applebloom, and when it's hinted at a pony does we see very little to nothing of the conversation.

The ending however is great. Loved it.

4449214
Yeah, I must admit, I did struggle with the pacing myself, I originally thought it would be about half the length, and maybe 6 chapters long.

But as I started writing it, I felt it was coming off rushed, so I had to slow myself down, aim for about 6000 words per "section" (most people will recognise the model I used for the story's acts)

Glad you enjoyed it regardless :twilightsmile:

You... you just broke my heart in tiny little pieces then glued it back together with sappiness. :fluttershyouch:

I got to say I liked this story. Some rough patches here and there but, for the most part, it was good. I think you played this up fairly believable and it's obvious you took your time with this. All this to say, good job.

And the bit with the card made my heart explode I think.

4449360
I aim to please…

…or cause major cardio problems.

For some reason i think bloom is going to do what applejack did, have a child and say she is its sister

It was a very nice story. :twilightsmile:
And, Apple Bloom draws better then I can, :rainbowlaugh: Though, you already knew that. :twilightblush:

4450259
I bet her spaceships suck though!

4451090
I knew someone would say something like that.

This is why we can't have nice things :derpytongue2:

okay, that was pretty good. poor applebloom trying to come to terms with basically her whole world turning upside down. pretty good story overall.

4449095

I think perhaps I was unclear in my concerns about Chapter 9.

My comment makes no reference to the events being unrealistic. I said that it was abrupt. That's a comment on the prose, not the event itself. (As in, a statement about the style of writing used, not what was being conveyed in the narrative.) The author doesn't provide any context for the events - they just kind of happen. I found it jarring, as a reader. Some things are implied (like the how and why of AJ's arrival), but only by guesswork on the part of the reader. I don't want to guess, I want to be told. (Or better, shown.)

The loss of dramatic tension was my bigger concern. When a writer spends a lot of effort building up tension in a story, it is expected that the tension will lead into a significant result. After all, what is tension but anticipation by the reader for the outcome of a conflict? To me, the chapter in question didn't present a result that reflected the build-up the author had created leading up to it. There had been SO much tension built between AJ and AB as a result of their lack of open communication, that seeing their first significant conversation be so gentle and conversational was kind of a let-down. I expected it to be more of an explosion.

The "explosion" doesn't have to be a violent fight or anything, but it should be s sudden release of something: if Bloom had suddenly poured out any of her significantly held-back feelings at that moment (anger, resentment, frustration, regret, or even loneliness), it would have felt like the build-up made sense. But she didn't really share much, other than explaining events we as viewers JUST saw happen. There were a few kind words of conversation, and then the Crusaders suddenly showed up and break up the meeting. That's not a release, but now the tension is gone, because the tension was leading up to them facing their conflict (failure of communication), and now they have (even if only partially).

I stand behind my initial observation - I feel the section before the Crusaders arrive could stand to have more substance to it. Especially since it directly addresses the biggest conflict of the story. I think the author should look at that chapter, and consider making adjustments. The author is always free to decide this is unwarranted criticism, but I offer it with the best interests of the story in mind. :twilightsmile:

To d'aww or to hnnng...

That is the question.

4463970
I thought Mrs. Cake calling her a horses ass would be a little harsh.

Also, I finally remembered where that line was from (it's bugged me since I wrote it): Arrested Development for the win! :raritywink:

cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/44923954.jpg

I really liked this story. I'll be honest, I'd kind of be interested in a sequel/one-shot about Carrot Top trying to make amends with Ditzy, Dinky and/or Applebloom.

I would have liked to see some resolution on the part of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, but other than that, I liked it.

4479317 The sad truth is that she really can't do much about it. :applecry: She can talk to the parents, sure, but no serious action can really be taken. The reality is that physical violence is taken much more seriously than emotional damage, which is unfortunate. In a small town where everyone knows everyone, it's even worse— out-of-school interaction just makes it harder for the victim. There are things that CAN be done when bullying occurs on-site at the school, but the process of getting major consequences for the bully is so taxing... This story has a pretty good (and simple) explanation of how the system works.

I can’t get through to her, and I can’t… I can’t remove her from the school just for teasing, the area regulations only allow for expulsion due to physical bullying.

That tends to be the case in most school systems. It's a sad world we live in. :fluttershyouch:

A wonderful story, great work! :ajsmug::heart:

Login or register to comment