• Published 24th Apr 2014
  • 8,392 Views, 444 Comments

Floret - Crystal Moose



Apple Bloom was expecting to find out about the niece she never knew existed. What Applejack shares with her, a secret she held for so many years, threatens to shake Apple Bloom’s world.

  • ...
10
 444
 8,392

Chapter Seven

Apple Bloom and Applejack silently trudged through the western orchards. After her fight with Diamond Tiara, she had been suspended for two weeks. Apple Bloom smirked as she thought back to the fight.

That filly had it comin’ fer a long time!

She had, at the time, been rather proud of herself. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle had disagreed, saying she’d gone too far.

Miss Cheerilee was furious, as were Applejack, Granny Smith and Big Mac.

Fat lotta good any o’ them done t’ stop Diamond Tiara.

The filly let out the quietest of chuckles.

Maybe now she’ll think twice before messin’ with th’ Crusaders again.

“What’s so funny, Bloom?” Applejack turned to look at the filly. She wore the least convincing smile Apple Bloom had ever seen.

“Nothin’,” Apple Bloom grunted.

It was bad enough that she had to miss school, but her family had to go and ground her, too. She hadn’t seen Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo for over a week, and it didn’t feel right.

She’d worked in the southern fields with Big Mac the previous week, and while it had been quiet (it was Big Mac, after all), it had gone by fast enough. But when she had woken up this morning, Big Mac told her that she was going to be working with Applejack during the second week of her suspension.

“Well, here we are, Bloom,” Applejack said, as she stopped. “What say we get started on cleanin’ up these bruised apples?” When the filly didn’t respond, Applejack sighed. “Well, grab that bucket and let’s get started.”

They worked silently, Apple Bloom breaking the quiet with a groan every few minutes.

It was a lot less fun than it normally was. Instead of holding the bucket while her sister would toss the rotten apples, she had to pick them up with her teeth and drop them into the bucket one-by-one, trying her best to ignore her mother.

Ah hate these stupid apples, she thought, as she spat yet another rotten apple out of her mouth. She scraped at her tongue with her dirt-covered hoof, desperate to get the taste of rotten apple out of her mouth, only to replace it with the taste of loam.

Applejack coughed, interrupting Apple Bloom. “Ah know yer supposed t’ be grounded an’ all…” Applejack flicked her tail, sweeping up an apple, before kicking it towards her own bucket. “But nothin’ says we can’t make the time go a li’l faster, eh?”

Apple Bloom smiled weakly. It might be nice to play the old game like they used to, before things got complicated. She lifted the bucket, balancing it on her head, having to shift about trying to keep it balanced.

“Okay, Bloom. Ya ready?”

The filly nodded… nearly losing balance, but righted herself as the first apple came flying.

“Got it!” she squealed with delight as she felt the apple drop into the bucket.

“Good work, pardner! Now get ready fer these ones,” Applejack called out, as she sent three more apples the filly’s way.

Apple Bloom laughed as she caught the projectiles with a few jumps. She almost missed the third as she overextended and nearly dropped the bucket, but managed to catch it before dropping the tub neatly on the ground.

“And that’s how ya catch apples!” Apple Bloom laughed.

“Well, ya better not slow down, ‘cause we ain’t done yet!”

Applejack kicked another two apples towards Apple Bloom. She barely dodged the first, but the second splattered across her muzzle.

Apple Bloom shook as she wiped the rancid muck from her muzzle. Tears welled up in her eyes, both from the stinging of the juice, and from the pain of the impact.

“A— Apple Bloom! Ah’m sorry, Ah didn’t—”

“Yah did that on purpose!” Apple Bloom screamed.

“Ah didn’t—” Applejack stepped forward, reaching towards the filly as Apple Bloom turned tail, then ran away.

Apple Bloom lay in her bed, trying to ignore her grumbling tummy.

When Big Mac and Granny Smith had heard she ran away from doing her chores, they’d both agreed that she would have to go to her room straight after dinner.

No dessert!

It was totally unfair. Did Applejack have to go to her room for kicking apples at Apple Bloom? No, of course not. Like always, they kept ganging up on her.

It had been a few hours since she had lain down. She had done the homework assigned to her (how unfair was that? She was suspended from school but still had to do school work!) and had played a few games of jacks before retiring to her bed.

The moon had finally risen, giving her a clear view of the orchard out her window. Normally, the sight of the orchard at night brought her peace, as she watched the leaves dancing with the wind under the pale moonlight.

Tonight… they were just dumb trees rustling in the wind.

After grumble of her tummy (she really couldn’t sleep without a slice of Granny Smith’s fresh apple pie and a dollop of fresh cream), she decided to sneak down to the kitchen. She had been the master of stealthy midnight kitchen runs for so many years, she was surprised she hadn’t gotten her cutie mark in it. She put on a pair of woolen slippers Rarity had given her for her ninth birthday; they looked terrible, but they were great for hiding the sound of hooves on hardwood floors.

They’ll all be asleep by now. Ah’ll jus’ get a tiny slice… Cutie Mark Crusader Pie Thief, yay!

She quietly opened her door, silently cursing it as it creaked. She half-wondered if Big Mac had put off oiling the hinges just so they could hear her come and go.

Granny Smith’s door was closed, and light spilled from under her door, though Apple Bloom knew that by no means meant Granny Smith was awake, just that she had fallen asleep without dousing her candle again. Both Big Mac’s and Applejack’s doors were closed and dark.

She crept as silently as she could towards the stairs, deftly avoiding the squeaky boards in the staircase.

Seriously, Big Mac, how’s a filly supposed t’ sneak around if ya can’t even fix th’ floorboards?

She got to the ground floor without making a sound. Normally by now, she’d have heard Big Mac or Applejack grumble in their sleep, causing her to stay completely still until they had settled again. She was getting really good at this!

After a disappointing check of her flank, she slunk low, heading towards the kitchen. Soon, her prize would be in sight.

Light spilled from the kitchen door, and Apple Bloom could make out voices.

What’re they doin’ up this late?

Pie somewhat-forgotten, she crept towards the edge of the kitchen door, staying out of sight.

“—jus’ can’t seem ta do anythin’ right, Mac.”

“Jus’ gotta give her time, sis.”

Can’t do anythin’ right? Can’t do anythin’ right‽ Apple Bloom gritted her teeth. Ah’m not th’ one kickin’ fillies in th’ head!

“—know she’s angry,” Applejack said, “an’ she’s takin’ it out on everypony else. Ah think it’d be best if she went back t’ helpin’ ya in the southern fields aga—”

“Eenope!” Big Mac interrupted. “Y’all gotta sort this out, th’ sooner th’ better.”

“Ah dunno, Mac. Ah can’t help but feel this has all been one big mistake…”

“Ya don’t mean that, sis,” Big Mac growled.

“Ah dunno, maybe Ah do…”

Mistake?

The word echoed through her mind. The obnoxious voice of Diamond Tiara echoed through her mind.

…the ‘Sister’s’ Mistake…

Tears came to her eyes.

Ah’m not a mistake!

She threw caution to the wind and ran back up the stairs. She shut herself in her room, pushing a chair against her door, then threw herself onto her bed.

She buried her head in her pillow, and the tears fell freely as she stopped fighting.

Ah’m not a mistake! Ah’m not a mistake! Ah’m not!

A loud bashing on her door woke the filly. Apple Bloom turned to find the source of the noise, and noticed that she had not moved the chair away from the door before she had fallen asleep the night before.

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack shouted through the door. “Time to get up!”

“Ah’m up!” Apple Bloom yelled back.

“Well, com’n get breakfast,” Applejack called through the door. “We got a big day out in the fields again.”

The filly hopped out of bed, and removed the chair from the door. She took her ribbon between her teeth and made her way to the bathroom.

When she saw herself in the mirror, she was glad Applejack had not been able to come in and wake her. It was clear from her reflection that the filly had spent most of the night crying. She wouldn’t give her family the satisfaction of knowing they’d made her cry!

After washing the tear-matted fur on her face, then straightening and tying back her mane, Apple Bloom left the bathroom, hoping her family wouldn’t notice the poor state she was in.

The wonderful smell of cinnamon-apple waffles hit her nose as she entered the kitchen. Granny Smith, Big Mac and Applejack were all plowing through their share, though as always, there was still a high stack of them in the center of the table.

Apple Bloom thought back to the pie she missed out on the night before, and what she had overheard. She ignored the delicious-smelling waffles and retrieved the box of cereal oats from the cupboard. She ignored the stares her family was giving her, and poured a bowl full with milk.

Granny Smith tried to ask her if she wanted any waffles, but the filly shook her head. It was like it was back when she thought this was all some kind of cruel joke.

Well, Ah guess it is a cruel joke, she thought. Jus’ one th’ world’s playin’ on me!

Apple Bloom finished her boring cereal long before the others.

“Ah’ll see ya out in the field,” she mumbled as she walked out of the kitchen.

Apple Bloom looked the apple tree up and down. Barnum was young, healthy, and he held a good deal of ripe fruit. He was her tree, the one that had been planted on the day she was born.

If she was going to be able to buck any tree, it would be him.

Ah’m not a mistake, and Ah can do this! Apple Bloom coiled her muscles as she crouched forward. With an almighty kick, she bucked at the apple tree. Ah’ll show ‘em Ah can do it right!

The impact of the buck shook through the entirety of Apple Bloom’s body, from her tail to her muzzle.

Still, when she turned around, Barnum had not yielded any fruit.

“Barnum’s still a little young fer ya t’ be buckin’, Bloom.”

Apple Bloom turned around to find Applejack standing there, watching her.

“Ya got good technique, usin’ yer muscles jus’ like we taught ya.”

Apple Bloom looked away, trying to hide her embarrassed blush.

“But until ya grow up a li’l more, ya’ll have t’ practice on some’a the older trees.” Applejack flicked her head, motioning the filly to follow her. “Younger trees like Barnum take more effort t’ buck, ‘cause their trunks are greener, an’ th’ stems on th’ apples are slightly stronger.”

Apple Bloom followed Applejack, trying to avoid looking at her… but still listening to what she had to say.

“Ya got really old trees like Beaufort an’ his kin over there…” Applejack flicked her head in the direction of the oldest trees. “Not even Ah can buck them, that’s usually left t’ Big Mac.”

They stopped in a row of trees Apple Bloom recognised.

“These trees here are a good age fer ya t’ be practicin’ on.” Applejack gave one a light kick, and caught a single apple as it fell. “They’re old enough that they ain’t so green, but not so old as t’ be tough as nails.”

Apple Bloom pawed at the ground. She did want to practice, but she wasn’t certain she wanted to be around Applejack at this moment.

After the awkward silence stretched on, Applejack coughed. “Well, Ah guess Ah better get back t’ the younger trees. Jus’ gimme a holler if ya need anythin’.”

The filly waited a few minutes until she was certain that Applejack had left. It was embarrassing that Applejack had corrected her… but then again, she did say that Apple Bloom had good technique.

The filly pulled three buckets and set them up under the tree, as Big Mac had taught her. There was a knack to it, a very specific way that would have most of the apples fall in, and minimize the number that needed to be picked up by hoof.

She positioned herself in front of the tree, squaring her body with the trunk. There was a particular ‘sweet spot’ that Granny Smith had explained to her, the perfect spot for bucking the tree. Of course, Granny Smith was too old to buck herself, but she had taught Big Mac and Applejack, and so it was left to her to teach the youngest of the apple family when it came time.

As before, Apple Bloom coiled her muscles, crouched low, then flung her rear legs out, connecting her powerful buck with the trunk of the tree.

Like the previous attempt, the shock of the kick vibrated through her body, from her tail to her muzzle. There was, as Applejack had mentioned, less give in the trunk of the older tree.

And, like all previous attempts… not a single apple fell.

Not to be dissuaded, Apple Bloom coiled up, and struck the trunk again.

And again.

Ah’m not useless. Apple Bloom wiped an errant tear from her cheek. Ah can get it right!

She bucked again, harder, but with the same result; the tree refused to give up its fruit.

Do you really think a blank-flank like you could get this right?

Apple Bloom yelped.

You’re a mistake… an unwanted blunder. You can’t get anything right.

The filly choked back a sob. Even suspended, she couldn’t escape that pink monster.

“Shut up,” she whispered.

No wonder she didn’t want y—

“Shut up!” she screamed.

You think you’re unhappy? the voice asked. How do you think everypony else feels? Wouldn’t they be happier without you?

Apple Bloom struck her legs out at the tree as hard as she could. The sounds of several apples falling in their tubs could not drown out the sound of the bully’s voice in Apple Bloom’s head.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo would probably be happier without you.

“No. They. Wouldn’t!” Apple Bloom grunted as she delivered three swift bucks to the trunk of the tree.

School would be better without you. You waste Miss Cheerilee’s time.

“Apple Bloom, what in tarnation is—”

Nopony wants you. You’re lucky she kept you as a sister… though even that was probably a mistake.

“AH HATE YOU!” Apple Bloom screamed as she connected one powerful buck with the tree, before collapsing to the ground.

“What in tarnation are ya doin’‽” Applejack stormed over to the filly. Apple Bloom looked up to see Applejack looking down at her. “Look! Look what ya’ve done!”

Apple Bloom followed her gaze, and noticed the deep depression in the wood, the bark stripped and torn away by her hooves.

“Ah’m gonna put mah bits on it that yal were thinkin’ about that filly from school, right?” Applejack scowled down at the filly. “An’ ya jus’ thought ya’d take yer frustration out on this here tree.”

Apple Bloom hung her head.

“Ah thought so…” Applejack turned to look at the buckets on the ground. “Well, ya did manage t’ buck a few apples—”

Apple Bloom gasped. She’d done it! She’d actually managed to buck apples—

“—but ya went an’ hurt Joshua here so bad we’ll have ta pick the rest of the apples by hoof.”

Apple Bloom sank low again. Even when she managed to successfully do something, she still got it wrong…

“An’ aside from poor Jay here… Ah thought ya knew th’ whole reason ya were suspended from school.” Applejack shook her head. “Ah thought we taught ya violence was wrong.”

Apple Bloom got to her hooves and whispered, “Y’all taught me not t’ lie, either.”

“What was that?” Applejack stared at the filly, a scowl across her face.

“Ah said, ‘Y’all taught me not t’ lie, either,’” Apple Bloom snapped. “But apparently y’all can pick an’ choose which rules we’re supposed t’ follow!”

Applejack staggered back. “What?”

“Well, how am Ah supposed t’ know what rules t’ follow when y’all just change yer minds whenever ya want?” The filly glared up at the mare.

Applejack turned away from Apple Bloom.

“Ah’ve tried t’ be patient with ya, Bloom.” Applejack’s voice quavered with suppressed anger. “Ah’m sorry we lied to ya, Ah really am…” Applejack turned back towards the filly. Apple Bloom had never seen her as angry as she was now. “But enough is enough! Th’ way yer actin’ out lately, getting inta fights, lashin’ out at yer friends… makes me ashamed t’ call you an Apple.”

Applejack started to trot off, leaving the filly behind.

“Where are—” Apple Bloom screamed.

“Ah made a mistake, an’ if ya can’t fergive me fer that, Ah’m not standin’ around here jus’ so ya got somepony t’ yell at.”

Apple Bloom watched in shock as Applejack trotted off, torn between wanting to follow her and keep yelling, and desperately wanting her to just stay.

Apple Bloom had given up hope; Applejack hadn’t returned the entire day.

She knew she was grounded, and she knew she was supposed to go back to the farmhouse when the sun began to set, but she couldn’t.

She didn’t know how she could face her family right now. Everything welled up inside her, her emotions in complete turmoil.

Everything she did was… wrong.

She trudged silently along the path towards Ponyville with her head hung low, averting her eyes from anypony who might try talking with her.

The filly avoided the main road, sticking to the back alleys to get to her destination. She was certain she had overheard Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle as she passed the fountain square; from the sounds of it, they were with Berry Pinch, Alula and Dinky.

Her destination was a quaint, unassuming cottage. The front garden was filled with flowers of all types, an impressive array that Apple Bloom had not taken notice of during her previous visit. She climbed the steps to the small porch, and knocked on the door, hoping the tenant was home.

“Coming!” the cheerful voice called out from inside.

Miss Cheerilee opened her front door to find a very miserable-looking Apple Bloom on her doorstep.

“A-Apple Bloom?” she asked.

“Ah— Ah was hopin’…”

“Are you okay?” the teacher asked.

Apple Bloom shook her head. “Why?”

“‘Why’ what, dear?” Cheerilee asked.

“Why… if my momma didn’t want me… why did she keep me?” Apple Bloom sniffled. “Why didn’t they jus’ send me away? Was Ah not good enough? What was wrong with me?”

“There is nothing wrong with you, Apple Bloom. You are a wonderful little filly. I don’t think Applejack… I think your mother did want to keep you. It’s why they are still your family.” Cheerilee helped Apple Bloom to her hooves. “There are a lot of foals— well, there are quite a few foals in community care because their parents didn’t want them.”

“I—If she did want me, why couldn’t she be honest from th’ start?” Apple Bloom sobbed, as Cheerilee led the filly into her house. “Why couldn’t she have told th’ truth… then Ah’d have grown up—




“Ah could have grown up with a mom.”

Author's Note:

I was listening to the Dear Esther sound track whilst writing the apple bucking scene. Could you tell?