• Published 22nd Jan 2012
  • 3,124 Views, 1,893 Comments

Continuing the Dream - Blue Breeze



A certain wind controlling pony moves to Ponyville to finally live out his dream after eight years.

  • ...
7
 1,893
 3,124

PreviousChapters Next
Hot Under the Collar

Today must be some kind of cruel joke. We had been tasked with clearing al the clouds in the sky earlier today, but the bad part was that the sun was beating down much harder than usual, making it extremely hot and without any shade.

I really wish we had an air conditioner in our house too. Drax, Zeph, Ice and I all sweat profuously as we feel like we're inside of an oven. I can literally feel my back stuck to the chair I'm in.

Zeph wipes his forehead as he breathes hard. "Why is it we had to clear the clouds on a day like this?" he asks outloud.

"Because Celestia is a troll." Drax says.

No kidding.

As we all sit, Ice hangs his head over the side of a couch, completely red in the face and breathing hard.

He smacks his incredibly dry lips as he tries to talk. "I think I'm dying. I can't breah. Too hot." his tongue flops out on his snout. He tries to pull it off, but is unable to. "Muh tuhnge ih stuhck." he mumbles.

"What's that, Ice?" I say.

"Muh tuhnge ih stuhck!" he tries saying again, this time louder.

"I think his tongue is stuck. Here, let me get that." Drax says as he gets up, grabs a cup of water, and dumps it on Ice's face.

Ice licks his lips as he's able to move his tongue again. "Thanks. That felt good."

"No problem."

I slam my hooves on my chair arms in aggrevation. "Dang it! It's too hot! We need to do something to cool off!"

"What'd you have in mind?" Zeph says.

"I don't know. How's about we head down to Sugarcube Corner and get some ice cream?"

"I could go for some ice cream."

"Me too."

"Yes, please. Before I start to melt into a puddle." Ice begs.

All of us being in agreement, we get up, leaving big sweat stains on the furniture. Well, just bucking great. Ignoring that and tackling our bigger problem, Drax puts Ice on his back as we leave and make our way down the street.

Walking down the streets, there's almost no one around, save for a few very hot ponies. I think I even see a few tumbleweeds roll by. Geez, is it hot.

As we enter the building, we see a flustered and tired Mrs. Cake watching the front counter. "Oh, welcome, boys. What can I do for you today?" she asks, putting on a weak smile.

"Mrs. Cake, please tell us you have some ice cream." I say.

"Please..." Ice says weakly.

"Sorry, boys, but the refrigerator broke down and all the ice cream melted."

EVERY BUCKING TIME IT'S HOT THAT HAPPENS! WHY?!

We all groan.

Just then, a surprisingly cheery Pinkie Pie hops out. "Hi, guys." she says. "Is it a scorcher today, or what?"

Ice groans. "Pinkie, please help. Ice isn't looking so good. He's dying in this heat."

"Hmm." Pinkie scratches her chin as she looks back. "Ah ha!"

"You got it?"

"Yep! Why don't we gather up the others and go down to the watering hole? There's a nice shady tree over there where Ice can cool off."

"Sounds awesome. I say we go for it."

"Sweet! Let's get a move on."

We leave the sweets shop and all break into groups as we go around getting the others. I get Dark, Twilight, and Dash, Pinkie gets Vine, Fleur, and Fern, Zeph gets Octavia, Vinyl, and Spitfire, and Drax and Ice get the others.

Having so many of us can be a real pain sometimes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy all my friends. Yes, even Dark.

After gathering everypony up, we make our way to the watering hole near the outskirts of town, a bit away from Sweet Apple Acres.

Pinkie bounces happily, leading the group. "We're almost there! We're almost there!" she stops bouncing as she sees it. "Uh oh."

"What is it, Pinkie?" I ask.

"Um, it seems the rest of the town kinda had the same idea as us."

We join her to see the watering hole, as well as under the tree, is completely packed by ponies. "Well, it's too hot to stay at home. Let's just try to make the best of it."

We all hesitantly enter the small lake, being pushed and shoved around by ponies. Ice deal with a bunch of kids pushing him under the tree, as well as crying babies.

As I try to swim around, I recieve a volley ball to the head. "Ow!"

"Sorry 'bout that, dude!" a pony calls out.

I grab the ball and slam it back in annoyance.

After a while, we all just squeeze our way back out and grab Ice, no longer being able to stand the huge crowd.

"Well, now what?"

"Oh, I just remembered!" Vine says.

"Do tell."

"I remember seeing another watering hole like this near the forest. The tree over there even has a tire swing."

"And you're just now telling us?"

She shrugs. "Slipped my mind."

I facehoof, but quickly dismiss it as I'm too hot to care. We leave again, this time letting Vine lead the way. After a good bit of walking, or bouncing for Pinkie, we near the promised swimming hole.

"And here we are." Vine says. Just then, a splash of water pops up. "What in the world?"

We look inside to see a Big Mac sized, green unicorn stallion skating on the surface of the water. Wait, skating? He also has a black mane and tail with a blue stripe in each and a cutie mark of a strange, blue circle with markings in it and a heart in the center with veins stretching to the edges.

Hmm, he looks very familiar.

Pinkie gasps as she recognizes the stallion and glomps him, making him fall into the water. As they resurface, Pinkie pulls him into a hug.

"Hey, Rhino! It's been so long since I've seen you! How've you been?!"

Rhino? That sounds familiar.

The stallion named Rhino breaks Pinkie off as he gives a smile. "Hey, Pinkie. I've been good." he looks up to see us. "Oh, I see you brought friends. A lot of them in fact."

"Yep, they're-"

"No need for introductions. I've heard about them all. As Pinkie said, my name is Rhino."

I go down to the stallion as I inspect him. "Hmm."

"Is there something wrong?"

"You look familiar. Do you happen to know a mare named Mist Scribe?"

"Mist Scribe? Indeed, I do. That's my mother's name."

"Ah ha! I thought I recognized you. She showed me a picture of you. She was our librarian back in high school." I explain.

"Oh, well, that explains it. I do remember she worked at the Cloudsdale high school."

"Excuse me. One quick question." Twilight says. "What was that you were doing to skate on the water?"

"Oh, that? A long time ago I developed a special spell I call Res. It allows me to control friction on myself or other ponies. It allows me to do things like walk up walls, stick to ceilings, and walk on water."

"Amazing. Think you could teach me sometime?"

"Well, I'm not sure..."

"Forget about that! Let's get swimming!" Dark shouts.

"And to cooling off." Ice says weakly.

"Oh, were you all coming to swim? I could leave if you all would like." Rhino says.

"Nah, it's cool, bro. This swimming hole is big enough. We'll just do our thing and you can do yours." I say.

"Oh, okay, if you're sure."

"I'm sure I'm sure."

With that, we all jump in, some by normal means, others by diving from the air, and a few by taking the tire swing.

We pull out a ball we had brung and start hitting it around. It's mostly your average 'keep the ball going in the air as long as possible' game.

But then Orion catches it and smirks. "Check out this trick I've got." he brings his hoof back and tosses the ball up. As he hits it, it goes flying with a streak of black with twinkling stars behind it.

We all look at him. "Woah, since when could you do that?" I say.

"Since always. I've just waited til now to show you."

The ball lands near Rhino, who looks at it questioningly. "Hey, little help?" I call to him. He uses his magic and passes back over to us. This gives me an idea. "Hey, Rhino. Why don't you come join us?"

"Me? Well, I don't really know about that."

"Oh come on! Just a quick game couldn't hurt."

He thinks for a moment before slightly smiling and coming over to us. "Okay, so, what's the objective here?"

Objective? "Just keep hitting the ball in the air without letting it hit the water."

"That simple, huh?"

"Yep. Now let's get going."

I toss the ball in the air, using my wind powers to give it a slight boost. We go back and forth for a bit and Rhino seems to start enjoying himself. That is, until Dark goes up to the ball while it's in the air like the jackflank he is.

"Spike!" he slams the ball down and right into Rhino's face.

"Dark, what the buck?! Why would you even spike when we're supposed to keep it up?!" I scold him.

He shrugs. "Meh, was bored."

"I'll show you bored!" I threaten as I wind my hoof back.

"No, no. That's quite alright." Rhino says, rubbing his face. "I don't want any fighting. I think I'll just go lay under the tree with Ice."

He uses his Res to stand on the water as he pulls himself out of the watering hole. I continue glaring at Dark.

Fluttershy looks over at Rhino, feeling a bit sorry for him. Despite her shy nature, she flies out of the water and sits a hoof away from him.

"Um, are you okay?" she asks him.

"Yes, I'll be quite all right. I've had much worse than that."

"Oh, that's good then." she then thinks of a good way to continue the conversation. "So, what do you do in Ponyville."

"Me? I work as a veteranarian down at the animal clinic."

"Oh, so you like animals?" she asks, getting a bit more excited.

"Yes, I do. I've always loved animals since I was little."

"Well, I've got dozens of animals down at my cottage."

"Really? Dozens?"

"Oh, yes. Would you like to come see?"

Rhino smiles at her. "I wouldn't like it, I'd love it."

The pair get up as they start walking off. I smile as I see them together. So, he isn't a complete loner. But I still feel like getting to know him. Maybe tomorrow.

Author's Note: Well, after a long and much appreciated wait from him, as well as many spoilers from myself, Rhino has finally joined in on the fun. Glad to have you along, buddy.

PreviousChapters Next