• Published 22nd Jan 2012
  • 3,123 Views, 1,893 Comments

Continuing the Dream - Blue Breeze



A certain wind controlling pony moves to Ponyville to finally live out his dream after eight years.

  • ...
7
 1,893
 3,123

PreviousChapters Next
Pet Poker

Author's Note: I'd like to start off with a big happy birthday to my good friend and fan, Rhino. Happy birthday, buddy. Besides that, thanks to Star Light for giving me this awesome idea. Now, on with the story.

Well, it's been a few weeks since that whole thing weith me teaching Sunny how to fly started, and I must say, she's made really good progress. Now she's able to fly up in the air and maintain control for a pretty good time.

As you can probably guess, I couldn't keep coming up with excuses to Dash and the guys about why we were leaving, so we had to tell them. They were a bit upset at first, but they were pretty understanding about it after a bit of explaining. They even offered to help out with the teachings, which has really helped.

In fact, since then, we introduced Sunny to the rest of the group and she's started hanging out with us a lot more. She's basically become a member of our gang of misfits, probably making her the most normal pony in the group.

Upset and disappointed I'm only telling you all of this rather than actually showing it? You have every reason and right to be.

Anyway, right now I'm getting home from work. These days first thing I do when I get home is say hi to Lyall. "Lyall, I'm home." I call out. Usually when I do this he comes running down the stairs, but right now I wait and he doesn't come. "Lyall?" maybe this'll get him to come out. "I've got a nice, big fish for you." Even from that, he doesn't come out. "Nothing still?"

I get curious as to where he is and start looking around everywhere. Every bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen pantries, the dirty laundry hamper, even the attic. But I can't find him anywhere.

I scratch my head in confusion. "Where could that little lupis have run off to?"

Zeph at Drax walk up behind me, curious to what I'm doing. "Hey, Blue. What'cha looking for?" Zeph asks.

"I can't find Lyall, and I've looked all over the house."

"Well, I'm sure there's no need to worry. I doubt he would've just left like that. Maybe he just let himself out to use the bathroom and he'll be back in a bit."

"He better, or he's gonna get it when I find him."

Over off in Ponyville

Lyall leisurely strolls through Ponyville, ponies now paying him no mind as they are now accustomed to him and know he's trained enough to not attack anypony. He's currently making his way over to Sugarcube Corner for the day of poker and the other pets had planned on during one of our playdates.

But since no animals are allowed inside the bakery except Gummy, he's going to have to sneak inside. 'Hmm, well, cats may be more suited for stealth, but I think I can do it.'

He notices a pony walking inside and walks behind them as cover. The pony walks up to the counter, being watched by Mrs. Cake. As the pony reaches the counter, Lyall slides to the side of the counter closest to the stairs, remaining out of sight. With Mrs. Cake and the pony busy, Lyall starts tiptoeing over to the stairs.

'I'm in the clear!' he thinks. But as he's about to reach the stairs, he's stopped by Pound and Pumpkin cake. 'Why me?' the two foals start playing with him, giving him hard rubs acros the back, Pumpkin chewing on his tail, and Pound pounding on his body as if he were a squeaky toy. Lyall eventually escapes from them and shakes off. 'And ponies say I'm a wild beast.'

Having finally gotten away from them, somehow without being spotted, Lyall makes his way upstairs to Pinkie's room where he finds the other pets waiting for him around a poker table.

'About time you showed up.' Angel says smartly.

'Blame those foals downstairs.' Lyall says, pulling up a chair.

'Yeah, Pound and Pumpkin Cake can get pretty over-excited when it comes to animals.' Specter says.

'I like cake.' Gummy says obliviously.

'Anyway... What's the game?' Lyall says.

'Just some simple poker, hun.' Winona says.

'Celestia, I love that accent.'

'You gonna play, or you gonna flirt?' she taunts.

He gets a serious face. 'Deal me in.'

Lyall pulls out a bunch of dog biscuits, using them in place of poker chips or real money, the others doing the same with other things like carrots, catnip, nuts, and seeds. Probably the strangest yet still professional game of poker I've ever seen.

'So, Lyall, how was your first time sneaking out here?' Owluiscious asks.

'It was really easy actually. I jumped out of a window using my awesome, cat-like reflexes.'

'Don't use that term.' Opal says bitterly.

Lyall rolls his eyes before continuing. 'After that I just walked down here, but I did have to do some sneaking to get passed the front.'

'The front?' Angel asks.

'Yeah, what about it?'

'Hehe, guess we forgot to tell you to use the back entrance where Pinkie will just let you in.'

'What?! Pinkie knows about this and will just let us in?!'

Just then, Pinkie comes bouncing up the stairs, a tray of food on her back. "Hi, guys. Ready for a snack?" she stops when she notices Lyall. "Hey, Lyall! Glad you could come by. I always welcome new faces here." she takes the tray of food and sets it down before bouncing away again. "Okay, you guys have fun. And also try not to cheat."

Lyall just stares blankly at the stares. 'Isn't she something?' Gummy says.

'Yeh, she's... something alright. Anyway, let's get back to playing.'

'All your winnings are belong to me.' Angel says, placing his cards down and smiling smugly.

'Dang it.' Lyall says in annoyance.

They all continue playing poker for a bit longer, not much happening outside of the usual: Angel being a smartflank, Gummy being slow, Opal being stuck up, and everyone trying to put up with each other.

Eventually, Lyall decides to try and work his charm on Winona again. 'Say, Winona?'

'What is it, Lyall?' she asks, a hint of annoyance present in her tone.

'Will you agree to go out with me if I win?'

'Heh, if you win, I'll go out with you three times, no question.' she wagers.

'Deal.'

'Just give it up, bro. That's one pussy no dog can catch.' Angel says. Both Opal aand Winona slap him. Winona because he was rude, and Opal because of the pun against cats. 'Okay, I deserved that.'

'Okay, let's have one last hand, winner take all. You all in?' every pet looks at each other before looking back to him and nodding. 'Excellent.'

Here it is, the big moment. All that precious food is riding on this one hand. Ever pet looks at each intensely, sweat dripping down their heads. Well, for those of them that can actually sweat. Lyall and Winona just pant with their tongues hanging out.

'Draw!' Lyall says. Every pet puts down their cards. They all look at Lyall as they see his flush. 'Yes! I win! In your faces!' he cheers. 'And I'll see you for that date, Winona.'

'Well, dip me in vinegar and call me Pickles, ya actually did it. Well, a deal's a deal. Ah'll see ya then, Lyall.' she says.

Lyall smiles as he takes all the food and puts it in a bag. All the pets give a good bye as they leave and go off to their sepearate homes.

I sit at home, reading as I relax in the living room. I look at the front door as it opens to reveal Lyall with a huge sack of food.

"Oh, there you are, Lyall. I've been looking for you all day." he shrugs as he comes in. "Should I ask about the bag?"

He gives me another look, which I read as "I won all of this fair and square. I promise.".

"Well, okay then."

Guess Zephyr was right after all. I'm glad we didnt have a bet. He always wins.

PreviousChapters Next