• Published 22nd Jan 2012
  • 3,124 Views, 1,893 Comments

Continuing the Dream - Blue Breeze



A certain wind controlling pony moves to Ponyville to finally live out his dream after eight years.

  • ...
7
 1,893
 3,124

PreviousChapters Next
Riddles on the River

Author's Note: Yeah... Remember how I said we'd be getting back to the awesome fights this chapter? Well, it seems I unintentionally lied, but I promise you'll get them back next chapter. Now, on with the story.

Grim grins malitiously at the portal, relishing in seeing us fight. "This is wonderful!" he says. "These idiots are fighting themselves now. I may not even have to worry about them getting here because they're just going to kill each other."

Graze snarls at him. "I wouldn't be so sure if I were you!"

Grim looks over at him. "Are you kidding me? All it takes is one weak link to make a city, or in this case, a group of idiotic, meddling ponies to fall. Those two are the weak link in this equation. They're doomed if they continue this." Grim starts laughing insanely, nearly falling out of his throne.

Graze just grits his teeth in a mixture of frustration and anger. He starts thinking to himself. 'Come on, guys. I need you. Just pull yourselves together and snap out of this. I know you can do it.'

Back up in the fourth circle

After Rhino and Dark's arguement and near fight, we decided it would be best best to sleep for a bit to relieve some stress.

Right now most of us are just waking up, Rhino and Dark making sure to stay far away from each other.

As I get up, I see Dark sleeping and rubbing up against a pile of money he had taken. "Dark?" I say.

"Mmm, money. I love you too." he says in his sleep.

"Dark! Hey, wake up!" I say in more of a shout.

His eyes blink a bit before he rubs them as he gets up. "Morning already?" he mutters, still about half asleep.

"Actually, we have no idea what time it is. Also, I think your money and you may have taken things a bit fast." I joke.

"Huh?" he looks down at the pile before looking back at the group, who had woken up and also started looking at Dark. "Don't judge me."

"Oh, I think that ship sailed a LONG time ago." Drax says. We all laugh at Dark's suspense.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. Can we get a move on already?"

"Sure." I say.

"What's the next floor anyway?" Rhino inquires.

"I believe it's Anger. The circle where ponies spend all of their lives being angry at everything go to." Vine explains. "I forget the environment itself though."

"Well, that's helpful." I say sarcastically. "*sigh* Oh well. No point in fretting over something we can't do anything about. Let's just go."

"Yeah, I say bring it on. I'm not afraid of anything." Dark says before jumping off of his stolen cash. I goes back to it and whispers to it. "I'll come back and get you. I swear."

Ignoring whatever that was from him, we head out to our next challenge. We find a cave with stairs in it that lead further down, not much else besides that. It's very dark, not even any torches, just darkness, dust, and cobwebs.

A cobweb gets on Ice's face, making him sneeze and the snot freezing out from his nose. "Don't say a word." he says.

We all try to contain our laughter, but fail as we bust out, some of us nearly tripping down the stairs.

Ice keeps walking, looking annoyed. "Let's just go."

As we walk down the stairs, we see some light, well, at least compared to where we are now. We step out from the stairs into a swampy area with a forest so big it'd be impossible to venture through it.

We look forward to see a large swampy area with a giant pool of black much with ponies inside screaming and fighting each other.

"Oh, now I remember this." Vine says. "The fifth circle holds the River Styx. The river is very deep and sticky like tar. Ponies are thrown into it with no hope of getting out if put in deep enough."

We look upon in awe at how large the river is. That and just how many ponies are in there. "Hey, it's like death water." I say.

"Is that supposed to be a reference?" Drax asks.

"Yeah, but I kinda forget what exactly too."

They all facehoof.

As we step out to the ground, we are grabbed by a bunch of lanky hooves that pull at us.

"GAH! What the buck?!" Dark shouts.

"Okay, I guess I forgot more than I thought!" Vine says.

We starts stomping and pulling on the hooves to get them off of us. I try to charge up my wings to cut at them, but I feel nothing charge up.

"What the hay?" I say to myself.

We're able to fight off the hooves despite this. I noticed none of the others used their powers either. "Well, that was unpleasant." Rhino says.

Over a little off there's two large torches right next to where solid ground cuts off to the river. Dark steps over to the edge and looks out. "I can feel all the anger out here."

"No surprise that you can. After all, it was your anger that killed me... son." a voice says.

"No way." Dark looks out to see a familiar pony. "YOU! I thought I'd seen the last of you a long time ago! Then again, I shouldn't be surprised to see an angry, old bastard like you wind up in a place like this!"

"Come now, is that anyway to speak to the pony that took you in as if you were his own."

"I'd hate to see what you would have done to your real kids if that's the case. What I did was an accident, but your crimes were on purpose."

"Just you wait, boy. Soon enough you'll be stuck here with the rest of us." he comes closer to Dark.

Dark snaps. "NEVER!" he gives the pony a strong punch, knocking him back into the river.

We all walk up from behind DArk, looking a bit worried. "Dark, was that him?" I ask.

He turns around. "Yeah, that was my adoptive father." he starts walking away. "Can we just go now? I don't want to be here anymore."

"It is not quite that simple, mortal." a loud, booming voice says from the river.

Suddenly, a gargantuan, earth-colored unicorn pony with three horns, serpent-like eyes, no mane or tail, and a splotchy mark on his backside rises up from the river. And when I say huge, I mean this guy's gotta be nearly thirty feet tall.

We all back away from him slowly. "Um... Vine? You remember anything?"

She gulps. "Now I do. This is Iron Shell. Guardian of the circle of Anger."

"The Vine Pony is correct. I am Iron Shell, both the guardian and transportation to this circle and the River Styx."

"Wait, transportation?" Zeph asks.

"Yes, I am to carry ponies across the river to the City of Dis, which holds the next circle."

"Peh, what do we need that for? We can just fly over there ourselves."

"I would not recommend that."

"Why not?"

"Do you all wonder why you could not use your powers earlier?" we look at each other, thinking it over. We nod. "This circle is cursed. It drains all magical power from a ponies body. Pegasi cannot fly, unicorns cannot use magic, and none of you can use your powers."

"Oh, yeah?" Zeph tries flapping his wings, but he gets nowhere. He looks back at his wings. "What gives?"

"It is as I said. No magical abilities of any kind."

Rhino steps forward. "So, we have no choice but to use you to transport us there?"

"That is correct, but not quite that simple."

"Of course it's not." I say.

"Then what's the catch?" Orion asks.

"Yeah, do we need to beat you in a fight?" Dark asks.

"No, none of that. I am incapable of fighting in my old age, and my body is rock solid, so you cannot harm me. No, for me to allow you passage across the river, you must answer five riddles."

"Riddles? Are you serious?"

"I am quite serious. So, do you accept?"

We all look back between each other, all silently thinking the same thing. "I guess we don't have much of a choice." I say.

"Very well." his horn glows as the torches light and a bunch of hooves grab us, this time not letting go no matter how hard we struggle.

"What is this?!" I shout.

"Did you think it would be that easy? For every wrong answer you give, you will be pulled towards the river. Five wrong answers, and you shall be swallowed up by the river with no chance of escaping."

"That's bucking stupid!" Dark shouts.

Iron Shell ignores our complaints and continues going. "First riddle: The more you have of it, the less you see. What is it? You may begin."

(Boss Batlle-sort of-5: Iron SHell. BEGIN!)

We all huddle together as we try to think of a plan. "Okay, guys. This is really important. Only throw out an answer if you really think you have it."

"Don't worry, I think I've got it." I say.

"Okay, go for it, Blue."

I pop my head out to Iron Shell and clear my throat. "Chimicherrychongas."

"Incorrect." he says.

We are all forced forward towards the river by all of the hooves. The others glare at me angrily. "BLUE!"

"What? I thought I had it. I've literally gone blind a few times from eating so many at once."

"Then maybe you shouldn't eat so much!" Zeph shouts at me.

"Ugh, there's no point in arguing over it now. Let's just keep going."

Dark taps at his chin as he thinks it over. "The more you have, the less you see. Hmm..." he gets an idea as he looks down at his coat. "I think I've got it."

"You sure, Dark?" Vine asks.

"Positive." he turns around towards the mountanous pony. "The darkness."

"Correct." he says. We all cheer a bit at our first correct riddle. "Second riddle: It is greater than Celestia and more evil than Grim Blade. The poor have it and the rich do not need it. And if you eat it, you will die. What is it?"

"Ha! Sounds a bit like Dark in some ways." Zeph jokes.

"Incorrect." Iron Shell says.

We are all moved forward again. We all glare at Zeph as he sheepishly grins before lowering his head. "Sorry, guys."

I sigh. "It's fine, but only give an answer that you really think is right, and be careful what you say."

"I think I know it." Vine says. She turns towards Iron Shell. "Nothing. Nothing is greater than Celestia or more evil than Grim Blade. the poor have nothing and the rich need nothing. And if you eat nothing, you will die."

"Correct." he says. "Third riddle: At night they come without being fetched. By day they are lost without being stolen. What are they?"

"Ooh, I know this one! I've heard it before!" Orion says excitedly.

"Okay, go for it." I say.

He clears his throat. "The stars."

"Correct." Iron hell says.

"Heh, you would know that one." I tease Orion.

He takes a bow. "It's what I'm here for."

"Fourth riddle: There was a green house. Inside the green house there was a white house. Inside the white house there was a red house. Inside the red house there were lots of babies. What is it?"

Rhino taps his hoof. "Whenever I think of green then white then red, I think of watermelons."

"Rhino, no!" I shout.

"That is correct." Iron Shell says.

I look at Rhino in disbelief as he smiles a bit smugly. "Uh-"

He puts a hoof up. "Apology accepted."

"Fifth and final riddle: I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I?"

We all start thinking it over. Vine steps forward, Well, as much as she can while tied down. "I think I have it."

"Woohoo! Go Vine!" I say.

"The sun."

"That is incorrect" Iron Shell says.

"What?!"

We are all forced even closer to the edge. "Boo! You suck!" I say.

"Shut up." she says.

"Um, I think I might have an answer." Rhino says. "The big bang?"

"Also incorrect."

We are pushed forward, this time putting our hooves literally on the edge.

"One more incorrect answer and the game shall be over." Iron Shell announces.

We all start looking at each other, now starting to have mini-freakouts.

"This is bad, guys." Vine says.

"Well, no buck." Dark says.

"I'm too young to die!" Ice says, holding his head.

"EVERYPONY, QUIET!" I shout, getting their attention. "I need to think."

'Come on, Breeze. Think. Both you and your friends' lives are t stake here. Beginning of the end. End of time and space. Essential to creation. And surrounds every place.'

My eyes light up as I get it. "Light bulb." I say.

"What?" everypony says in confusion.

"I've got the answer." I clear my throat to give it. "The letter E."

My friends all grab their heads as they start freaking out. "NO!"

"That answer is... correct." Iron Shell says.

(End battle music)

Everypony freezes and looks up at him. "What?"

Suddenly, the hooves all release us, letting us move again. Iron Shell kneels down. "You have all passed my riddles. You are all free to go to the City of Dis. Climb aboard."

All of my friends look at me, smiling. We all hop on Iron Shell's back. He gets up and starts walking along the river, taking us straight to the city and the sixth circle.

"So, Blue, how'd you figure it out?" Zeph asks.

"Yeah, I didn't even see that." Vine says.

I smile. "It was easy. I just thought about it a bit and guessed."

"WHAT?!" they all shout.

Dark grabs me and shakes me. "You mean to tell me that you risked all of our lives on a guess?!"

I chuckle. "Yep."

He facehoofs as he lets me go. "I should've known."

Author's Note: Iron Shell comes from Star Light. You guys can expect a whole ton of fighting and epicness in the chapters to come.

PreviousChapters Next