• Published 22nd Jan 2012
  • 3,123 Views, 1,893 Comments

Continuing the Dream - Blue Breeze



A certain wind controlling pony moves to Ponyville to finally live out his dream after eight years.

  • ...
7
 1,893
 3,123

PreviousChapters Next
The Best Pest-I mean, Pet

This is definitely an interesting first day of me being a pet owner. I just happen to run into Rainbow Dash and I get invited to a pony pet playdate out in Ponyville Park with all of my friends who also happen to have pets.

Lyall got along pretty well with Tank, but I am a bit more worried about some of the other pets. A rabbit, a squirrel, and worst of all for me, a cat. I just hope his animal instincts don’t kick in around them. I also hope his male instincts kick in for Applejack’s dog. I just got one pet, I can’t afford to have puppies right now. But at least for right now he’s behaving fairly well. I bit of sniffing here and there, but nothing bad.

Right now I’m trying to teach him how to fetch. I’m holding up a red ball infront of Lyall. “Ready, Lyall?” he gives me a confused look. “Go fetch!” I toss the ball off and he goes after it. Instead of running back with it in his mouth though, he throws it back and hits me in the face. I sneer at him as he snickers.

I’ve heard of pets taking after their owners, but this is ridiculous. It’s like having my own mini-me.

The others are also busy playing with their pets. Applejack having better luck at playing fetch than me, Fluttershy and Rhino hanging out with their pets, Rarity grooming Opal, Pinkie running with Gummy on her tail, Twilight reading with Owluiscious, and Dash flying around with Tank.

I get tired of trying to get Lyall to learn stuff, So I decide to ask about lunch. “Hey, anypony bring lunch?”

“As a matter of fact, I did.” Twilight says, levitating a picnic basket up. How did I not see that earlier? “Everypony ready for a lunch break?”

Every pony and pet agrees and Twilight uses her magic to quickly set up a nice little picnic for us. While we eat, all of our pets hang out together under a shady tree.

‘So, you’re from the Everfree Forest?’ Specter asks Lyall.

‘Sure am. Lived there for a whole three years before Blue took me in. He’s a pretty cool guy.’

‘Did someone say pie?’ Gummy says.

‘No, Gummy. He said “guy”.’ Angel says.

‘Aw, but I like pie.’

Angel facepaws. ‘Ignore Gummy. He’s a bit slow.’

‘And not slow like I am either.’ Tank says.

‘Anyways, ah think it’s mighty fine to meet ya, Lyall.’ Winona says.

‘And it’s nice to meet you too. Would you happen to be seeing anyone?” he asks her, bugging up his eyebrows.

That’s my dog. He gets all the bitches. Quite literally.

“Hehe, sorry, partner. But ya’ll ain’t really mah type. Ah don’t go out with wolves.’

Or not.

He slouches and crosses his front legs. ‘Dang it.’

‘Good for you, Winona. You shouldn’t be going out with such a mangy beast anyway.’ Opal rudely says.

‘What’d you call me?”

‘Did your simple brain not understand how fast I was talking? Then let me say it slower. A mangy beast.’

‘WHO do you think you are to call him that, Opal?’ Owluiscious says, sticking up for Lyall.

‘I think I am a good member of animal society who is actually fit to wander the streets, unlike him.’

‘That’s it!‘ Lyall shouts before lunging for Opal. She meows loudly and climbs up the tree. Lyall barks at her as he claws at the tree trunk.

We look over at this and rush over. I pick him up by the tail and look at him sternly. “Lyall, What did tell you about behaving?”

He gives me another look, as if saying “She started it.”.

Opal jumps down and goes over to Rarity. “Oh, Opal! I’m so glad you’re all right!” she then glares at us. “Blue Breeze, you need to teach that “pet” of yours proper behavior!”

“Hey, they looked just fine earlier. Opal must have done something to provoke him.”

“Nonsense! Opal is the most well-trained cat in the world.”

“Oh yeah? Then how about we prove it?”

“Prove it? What are you talking about?”

“An obedience contest. See who’s got the best trained pet. You guys can come on too.”

“Fine, I accept.” Rarity says, looking smug about it. “I’ll show you how a true pet should act.”

“Wait, wait.” Rhino says.

“What?” I say.

“We’re gonna need a fair and impartial judge for this.”

I rub my chin as I try to think of someone. “I think I’ve got just the guy.”

Later

Spike holds a stick in his claw, holding it up like a microphone. “Fillies and genntlecolts, welcome to Ponyville’s very own “Who’s Best Pet?” competition!”

“Spike, we’re the only ones here.” I say.

“Shh. Don’t ruin this for mw.” he says before holding back up the stick. “Now, I’ll be your judge today. I’ll be judging each contest on a one to ten point scale. The pet with the most points at the end will be crowned the winner! Our first contest will be to get your pet to sit.”

“But not all of them are dogs.” Rhino says.

“Just do it!”

I look at Lyall. “Okay, boy. Sit.” he pouts at me. I lean down and whisper to him. “You win this and I’ll feed you three big fish.” he gets an excited look at that. He sits as instructed.

AJ, Twilight, and Rhino are able to get their pets to sit no problem, but others are having some trouble. Gummy just blinks and Opal and Angel refuse to sit. It takes about five minutes, but Tank eventually is able to do it too.

“Alright, our next one will be getting your pet to stay.” Spike says.

“Stay, Lyall.”

‘Okay, focus. Fish is on the line. You want fish. And you should do it for Blu-Ooh, look. A butterfly.’ he leaves his spot as he starts chasing after a passing butterfly. Winona does the same, but the other pets stay without an issue.

“Next contest: doing a trick.”

“Okay, roll over, Lyall.”

He gives me another look saying “I a not a circus monkey.”

“Do it for the fish!”

‘Oh, right! The fish!’ he instantly listens this time and rolls over for me.

Angel doesn’t do anything, Opal walks off in announce, Winona catches a frisbee, Specter does some gliding, Tank doing the same, Owluiscious grabs some things for Twilight, and Gummy… just stands there and blinks again. I’m not surprised.

“Next is to do a walk around with your pet. That means no propellers for Tank.”

This one actually goes pretty well for most everyone. Gummy doesn’t walk as much as just hanging on to Pinkie’s tail with his mouth as she walks, and it takes about a century, but Dash and Tank eventually finish up.

“Time for our final event! A race!”

“A race? What does that have to do with obedience?” Rhino asks.

“Because this’ll show who’s pet is loyal enough to always come back to them.”

“Oh.” we all say.

After that we get a race set up with our pets at the starting line and ourselves at a far of finish line. We make it a straight shot to make it a bit easier on them.

“On your marks. Get set. GO!” Spike calls.

All of the pets go off, some faster than others. Even Gummy waddles, actually showing some real effort.

While running, Lyall gets a thought. ‘Hey, guys?’

‘What, Lyall?’ Specter asks.

‘Why are we doing this anyways?’

‘Um, too… I have no clue. I was just kinda forced into this.’

‘This whole thing sure is silly, ain’t it?’ Winona says.

‘And it’s ruining my coat.’ Opal says.

‘You guys wanna go do something else?” Lyall asks.

‘Sure.’ they all say. All the pets go off with Lyall leading the way.

We all sit at the finish line, wondering why they’re still not here yet. It’ wasn’t that far off. “Where in the world are they?” I say.

Over at my house

Lyall pulls out a deck of cards. ‘The game is Pegasus Hold ‘em. Aces are high.’ he then passes out cards to each of them. He looks over at Winona with a smile. ‘Would you like to split the winnings with me?’

‘Sorry, hun, but ah already said no earlier.’ she says.

‘I’ll get you yet.’

You guys know dogs. Always chasing pussy.

Author’s Note: Isn’t it just wonderful my internet was out and kept me from posting this sooner?

PreviousChapters Next