• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 4,604 Views, 673 Comments

Buck My Life - JasontheDemon



Yes, I am a brony... the rare kind that DOESN'T WANT TO BE STUCK IN EQUESTRIA! This story is one about me, my life, and my overwhelming desire to return back to where I belong. But the longer I stay, the more my resolve weakens.

  • ...
53
 673
 4,604

Only Human (Alternate Ending)

Author's Note:

This is chapter is an alternate ending. It is non-cannon, so in the sequel this will not be mentioned. I made this because it was requested that I show both the endings for the poll I took on whether or not 'Jason' should stay in Equestria. The majority said they wished for him/me to stay but many of the voters also wanted to see the other ending where I/he would go back to Earth. If it does not meet your expectations I am sorry but it was the best I could do at the time. Thanks for reading and keep being awesome.

Only Human

So, this was it… I was dead from a battle with an extra-dimensional chaos god. Honestly I didn’t see it coming. The first thing you should know about being dead is that it is boring as hell. You just float in a void of blackness, with no sound or sensation. Nothing but your inner thoughts to keep you company. I suppose it could be considered as a form of punishment if you think about it. You are left alone in a place where all you can do is think about what happened and what you should have done to prevent it. In a way, I was in my own personal hell.

I was only there for a few minutes from what I could measure but it might as well have been a few weeks. I replayed the events in my head over and over… each time feeling even worse that I had given up what could have been paradise. I could have had friends, a home that actually felt like a home, and even love. But I threw it away because of some ill-conceived notion that I had the power to go back and fix the problems we faced on Earth. However, now that I had time to think about it, it was impossible… there would always be humans that would stand in the way and cause trouble because that was how they liked things. There was always going to be a new Hitler or Bin Laden to throw the first stone, and then being the simple minded beings we are, we would retaliate by throwing a bigger stone.

In the end what really mattered? What was it that I stood for? Did I even stand for anything anymore now that I was a murderer in Equestria and a nobody on Earth? What was the point to living in either world now that I had nowhere where I truly belonged? Nowhere I could be of use? Right as I was about to give up hope I heard something… it was a high pitched sound that was only getting higher. I then heard a muffled voice, “Clear”.

‘Clear?’ I thought as I couldn’t make heads or tails of it… that is until I felt a painful pulse of electricity surge through me.

“Clear.”

Oh crap! Not again!

Another surge of pain.

“One more time, CLEAR!”

Knock it off you bastard!

Whoever was doing this obviously couldn’t hear me. I felt another electrical shock flow through my body, but then I began to hear a light beeping as I began to float up. Shortly after, I opened my eyes which I didn’t think were closed in the first place. Something struck me as weird though… everything was in pure realistic 3-D. That and I could feel something at the ends of my arms. I looked down and saw ten fully functional fingers. I tested them out and they responded perfectly. To my left was a heart monitor that beeped rhythmically.

“Oh my god! You’re awake!” I heard at the end of the bed I was laying in. I turned my head to see a woman, not a mare, but a human woman looking at me.

“What’s going on? Where’s Twilight?” I asked through a raspy voice that sounded like it hadn’t been used in months.

She just looked at me like I was speaking nonsense (which to her I probably was), “Twilight? You mean that vampire movie?”

“No! The pony!” I did my best at shouting in anger.

“I think you might be a little delusional from the coma. You were shocked by a lightning bolt from touching some metal paneling around a window at your house. You were knocking on death's door by the time the paramedics got to you. You should consider yourself lucky to be alive.” She explained.

It didn’t take long after that for my parents to rush in. I started asking questions and found out that I had been in a coma for about two months. I told everyone about my time in Equestria, even the doctors, but they said it was just a vivid dream sequence that was brought on by the coma. I would have believed them but I had proof that it was real. When I woke up I didn’t need glasses anymore and my illness that plagued me before was gone. The doctors I visited said that it was a miracle that the lightning strike fixed my health issues and repeated that it wasn’t because ‘I visited a land of magical ponies’. I was given a hard time about my so-called ‘story’ for some time.

Being cured of my oxygen illness made it possible for me to go take walks, and that was something I grew fond of as time went on. I would usually go later in the day and wait for sunset on a bench somewhere. Looking at the sun as it went down brought back a memory… one that I never wanted to forget.

~I didn’t take you for the sorta guy who enjoyed sunsets~

Other than that my life stayed relatively the same. I gave up the game design idea and instead devoted my time to writing and drawing, the two things that I seemed to have talent for and actually enjoyed doing. It was funny really, I had my freedom back but all I felt like doing was secluding myself. Although even when I was alone, I didn’t feel so bad anymore. I was a new person… I stopped caring so much about the state of our world and just tried to enjoy it. I enjoyed the simple fact that I was alive and tried to live like I should have in Equestria… I lived happily.

Time seemed to speed up as I went day to day doing what I felt I needed to do. Since I was well enough to get out, my relatives kept telling me I should try to find a girlfriend… I always responded the same way by telling them that I was better off without another one. They didn’t understand what I meant, but they eventually gave up trying to convince me.
I eventually started to watch my little pony again and discovered that Twilight was going to become a princess… but I took that away from her. The real her. I found myself going through the series all over again, pausing the videos whenever I saw her smiling or laughing. It didn’t even feel like I was watching a cartoon anymore. It felt like I was replaying some home videos, reminiscing the time I spent with them. When I got to the Discord episodes, I skipped them. Before I would have been happy to watch the antics of the psychotic conglomeration of creatures merged into one, but now I hated him with a passion.

After I finished watching, I had a long list of things I missed. The mythical creatures, the friendly ponies who would say hi as you walked by, the cool calm nights complemented by a clear sky full of stars and a large alluring moon, the sunny days that seemed to be absolutely perfect, the magic… man I missed using magic. In fact I sometimes felt powerless without it. I wasn’t able to move from place to place with a mere thought, I couldn’t move stuff around without physically touching it, and I couldn’t amplify sound or create heat from nothing. Like the saying goes, I went from hero to zero.

But more than anything… I missed having someone who I could talk to by my side. Someone who shared my thirst of knowledge and had the ability to carry on conversations with me without getting bored or irritated. Someone I could vent to, share my thoughts and beliefs, even just stay by for the sake of knowing someone is there. It didn’t take long for me to realize how much I missed her. I would have tried to find a person like her, but I knew I couldn’t. With how people behave this day in age, finding a human Twilight would be like trying to find the worlds smallest needle in the worlds largest haystack, and I wasn’t in the mood to waste my time searching. Besides, chances are even if I did find someone that fit, someone that I really could spend my life with, she would probably be spoken for. Thats why love is so damn hard… finding someone who you can love isn’t easy when people are in such a rush to get into a relationship. By the time you are ready everyone has already paired up.

As months went by my life began going back to its usual cycle. My mother didn’t do anything but leave every once in a while to get her meth fix, then come back to make a mess, flip out at nothing from coming down off the drug, then sleep until she would do it again. My dad also continued clean up after her and complain to me about her behavior like he always did. The rest of my family went about their usual business, ignoring that I even existed like before. Then there was me… I was essentially on my own without any real friends again, trying to find a purpose in my life.

The more time passed, the more I began to realize that every world was going to have its problems. You can’t know the good without the bad to compare it to. As I figured this out I began to see some more beauty in living. I began to realize that our world did have a faint silver lining. It didn’t matter that the majority of people were corrupted… there was still some seeds of good out there. I found this out once I actually started to talk to people online. They were mostly bronies but they all saw things with a similar view and wanted to do good. I wasn’t alone in my quest… and unbelievable as it seems, that made me feel a real wave of happiness. For the first time in years I really felt something as a human. To me, that was the second greatest gift I could receive.

Now you are probably asking yourself, ‘if thats the second greatest, what is the first’? It was the one thing I never thought I would receive. The thing, or should I say pony, that I had to thank for the new me. The one that taught me to care again… Twilight. I know I sound like a broken record at this point but she was the first one who I felt anything towards. I didn’t even think love was real until her. However, I knew that I would never see her again… or at least that was what I believed at the time.

It was nearing my birthday and like every year I expected very little from it. The great thing about this year though was that my birthday happened to be the date when season 4 of MLP was supposed to air, so I thought of it as a bonus birthday present. The thing I didn’t expect though was a mysterious email that I received that day. I looked at who had sent it and it was from a ‘Princess C.’. Now normally I’m smart enough to stay away from emails like that but something drew me to it. I felt compelled to read it so I scrolled over with my mouse and clicked. When it opened, it read:

Dear Dusk Shimmer,

I wish to begin by apologizing. I believed you had killed my faithful student so I sent you back to your world as you probably know. However, upon further examination I discovered I was wrong about you. You were never a murderer. I wish I could take back what I have done, but my powers are not quite strong enough to pull things from your world to here. I have been watching you for some time through a powerful spell conjured up by a small team of elite unicorn soldiers. By the time you read this it should be your birthday. For the mistake I have made I wish to send you a gift. Now I am placing my full trust on you to keep this gift of mine safe. This is the least I can do for you after punishing you unjustly. Take care and I will be watching you.

Sincerely,
Princess Celestia.

After I finished reading it, the email deleted itself and no matter where I looked, I couldn’t find it. Then another email appeared shortly after. I hastily clicked on it.

P.S. Your gift should be arriving right about now.

Just as I read it, there was a knock at the door and like before the email did its version of self-destructing. The dogs that we had were barking like mad causing my dad to get up, tell them to be quiet, and open the door. After he opened it I heard him say, “who are you and what do you want?”

‘That’s my dad alright… ever the charmer.’ I thought to myself while rolling my eyes.

What came next made my heart skip a beat. In a unmistakable and familiar voice I heard a young female answer, “Good afternoon, does Jason live here? We are old friends and I wanted to wish him a happy birthday.”

Well… buck me, birthday wishes do come true. I guess this is the end of my story, but what happens next is up to you. So, what kind of world would you like to live in? It’s your turn to help make it...

Comments ( 69 )

3528787

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

... Interesting...and a bit of a light ending. Meh. Happy Birthday.

Best Wishes,
ISA

Its a nice ending I hope to see more from you soon, afterall good stories come in time.

Comment posted by JasontheDemon deleted Aug 11th, 2014

Boundless arrogance is not an attractive character trait.

3541233

Boundless arrogance is not an attractive character trait.

We could say the same about the author.

3542710 I'm sorry, I didn't realize that being honest and acting like an individual regardless of what other people think was a bad thing. I'll try to be more of a sweet gentle pansy since it upsets you so much. Hell, I'll even throw in a smile free of charge!
i139.photobucket.com/albums/q301/hackenslash_album/bth_MiddleFingerSmileyLOL.jpg

3542792

since it upsets you so much.

Upsets me? Why would you being a dick to everyone upset me? On the contrary, it amuses me to no end! It's like watching one of those fail compilations on YouTube. The only difference is that those assholes are hurting their own bodies, and you're hurting your own reputation.

3542824 What's the point of writing if you can't have a little fun every now and again? Besides, if I dont act the way I feel it's basically like I'm lying about who I am and that is the whole point to this. I am being myself to my fullest. Its like what my home page says...

kizzylee.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/303999_259032187467991_100000836367119_666601_1258276465_n1.jpg
I gave clear warning so if you don't like it, that's your fault.

3542876
And THAT is why you don't have any friends, lol.

3542907 You have been spending too much time around here if you think friendship is real. People only care for themselves, I learned that from my past 'friends'. Nobody is going to go out of their way to help so the only one you can really depend on is yourself.

3542950

>> Sabban You have been spending too much time around here if you think friendship is real.

Friendship is quite real, I assure you. It's just that you don't really know what it is. Friendship is a test. Friendship is labor. Friendship is sacrifice. Above all, friendship is something that is not given freely.

A guy like you can never have a true friend. Let's have a look at your profile.

The brief summary of your profile page goes as such: "HEY, I'M AN ARROGANT DICK AND I DO WHAT I WANT, BUT DON'T HATE ME FOR IT CUZ THAT'S TEH WAY I AM".

fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/025/6/8/6855429d133e82d4a90833229e247412-d4nks1u.png
You see this? You know what this is? It's a fucking indicator. It indicates that you have trouble talking to people. The only people who would actually talk to you were the ones you mistook for your past friends. They weren't your friends, they just didn't care if you were a dick. And if they don't care about who you are... Well, that speaks volumes. Friends care about each other, which is not the case here.

You wrote:

I am being myself to my fullest.

If you are openly being an arrogant dick, and proud of it, why would anyone want to be your friend?

People only care for themselves

Misanthropic, are we? Kid, what do you do for life? Where do you live? I can hardly believe you're 22. What you said is bullshit. People, in general, are not bad, and are willing to help a person in need. It is quite true, in my case.

I learned that from my past 'friends'.

You never had any friends to start with.

Nobody is going to go out of their way to help so the only one you can really depend on is yourself.

Then how come people go out their way to help me if I ask?

3542710
Indeed.

3542950
Oh, you sad little boy. There's a guy I've been friends with for about as long as you've been alive, so don't go around claiming that friendship isn't real. He's more of a brother to me than my actual brother, and I couldn't even begin to list all the things he's done for me over the years.

3543161
I'm willing to bet that he'll learn nothing from what you've just said. But since you strike me as a clear thinker, I doubt you'll take that bet.

3543161

friendship is something that is not given freely.

Yeah I know but I was tired of getting f**ked for being nice. I tried the whole 'giving respect to get respect' thing but it blew up in my face and I found out that everyone I thought was a friend talked crap behind my back and lied about me. I was betrayed for being kind so I basically gave it up.
Oh and this?
fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/025/6/8/6855429d133e82d4a90833229e247412-d4nks1u.png This is so people feel free to ask questions or comment as you have. Its my way of saying go ahead and talk if you want... and it has worked from what I can tell.

If you are openly being an arrogant dick, and proud of it, why would anyone want to be your friend?

Once again, I gave up trying after 21 years of bullsh*t. To me, friendship is that one thing I will never have no matter how hard I try to make it work so screw it all. I can stand being alone. I've done it for roughly two years now and I think I'm better off for it.

What you said is bullshit. People, in general, are not bad, and are willing to help a person in need. It is quite true, in my case.

Oh this is just too rich... I suggest you watch this little video and then tell me you have faith in mankinds willingness to help.

You never had any friends to start with.

No duh. I figured that out a long time ago.

Then how come people go out their way to help me if I ask?

Maybe you come from a magical place where people actually would give a crap if you died... or perhaps you are just lucky... who can say? But I'm glad you found a place in the world where people care.

3543588

You know, I really liked your story, and I even thought you were a pretty cool guy.

But your attitude, I never imagined... :fluttercry:
derpicdn.net/img/view/2013/11/2/462752__safe_solo_fluttershy_clothes_reaction+image_artist-colon-madmax_sweater_why_sweatershy.png

3543588

Yeah I know but I was tired of getting f**ked for being nice. I tried the whole 'giving respect to get respect' thing but it blew up in my face and I found out that everyone I thought was a friend talked crap behind my back and lied about me. I was betrayed for being kind

You weren't talking to the right people.

so I basically gave it up.

Another mistake on your part.

Oh this is just too rich... I suggest you watch this little video and then tell me you have faith in mankinds willingness to help.

I know what the Bystander Effect is. I've seen it in action. But why don't you watch this instead?

Maybe you come from a magical place where people actually would give a crap if you died... or perhaps you are just lucky... who can say? But I'm glad you found a place in the world where people care.

I was born in Eastern Europe, during the USSR collapse. Lived there for 15 years. And then I moved to Canada, people actually give a shit, in both places, and a lot more than you think. You just need to find those people.

3543635 Why? Because my life is turning to crap, my dad thinks I should write a will because of my bad health, my mom is constantly on meth, I have been reminded that I have no friends, only three people in my family wished me a happy birthday three days ago, and I have figured out that I'm probably going to die without really doing anything in my life besides graduating high school. The worst part is that I have been primarily nice before all this so its like I'm being punished for nothing. I figure if thats the case maybe things will turn around if I become the worlds biggest jerk because for some reason it seems like the douche bags are the ones who get ahead these days. So yeah... thats why.

3543677

...Oh.

Well, there's always this group if you're willing to take another chance. :pinkiesad2:

I think you'll like it. :raritywink:

3543828 Well I still have to go through bargaining before I hit the depression stage... right now I believe I'm stuck in the middle of anger. *sigh* You know what? Screw the rules, I have Derpy!:derpytongue2: Depression here I come.

3542950
Some interesting comments here. :trixieshiftright:

3544052 Go ahead, call me a dick. I know thats where this is going.

3544073
Um... what? Why would I do that?

3544117 That seems to be the recurring theme today. People come, they go to comment, and they call me a dick for expressing myself and my feelings based on my crappy life. I just thought you were and say I'm nothing but an arrogant ass like the others admins that have spoke to me thus far. My apologies.

3544178
What do you mean "other admins"?

Well looks like I just missed a party...

3544220 Oh when I have more than one person post that I'm a dick within ten minutes I look to see what they have in common. Normally the ones who give me crap are administrators from popular groups. I'm sorry but I thought you were among them. Once again, my apologies.

3544276 Not at all. You are always free to speak your mind here. I don't block people, so have at it. (But remember I won't hesitate to speak my mind either, just giving you fair warning...)

Lab

3508370
Diabetes kills more people than grenades.

Lab

I finally worked my way through all of this story. (Nothing personal, just have too much in my 'read later' list).

The story was well written with only a couple syntax errors here and there. However, I could not stand the main character. I know it's a self-insert and I'm sorry it's semi-directly insulting you, but he was just so full of himself.

It felt like a lot of "I'm angsty because my life sucks, and I'm brilliant and nobody can understand me" followed up by being socially intolerable while saying "wait, I'm totally a good guy where it counts".

I'm not about to compare lives with you or try to renew/enforce your faith in humanity (not like either side would give an inch anyway). I'm not trying to change or slam your views.

What I am saying is lighten up. Others have been there—others who are just as smart as you think you are. Some have it worse, some have it better. Some trust others even less than you do. But what others do doesn't matter compared to what you do.

Your life sucks? Fuck your life. Spite your life by being better than it.

Punch adversity in the face, and remember: you're unique, just like everybody else.

tl;dr good read, way too much angst though

3601811 Well I'm sorry that you feel that 'my character' isn't good, but he is as close as I could get to the real me. The story was supposed to be a realistic view on what I would really do if I was put in this position. I know that I seem like an arrogant piece of crap, but that's just how I think I would handle it.

One thing you should realize is that you cant complain since it is pretty clear that I wasn't going to be happy in the first place. The title is 'Buck my Life' and the description gives you a very clear view as to what the story is like. I'm sorry you didn't like it very much, but you cant blame me for not giving you insight to the things that bothered you.

Thank you for commenting and have a nice day.

3630812 Yeah but its even weirder when you see it like every week for years straight. Especially if it means something.

Great story, but badly executed
Yes I like your story very much, but that's only the main part of the entire story; the little bits doesn't have enough uumph to make people like it. And if you wanted to write a fan fiction, never use yourself as any character in the story, at least make a fictional one that resembles you.
Hope you do more research, it will help you a lot

I finally gotten around to reading this story, and I have to say I'm a bit spooked. Jason/you act ... a lot like I do. Although personally I'm just trying to survive, and have no ambitions to reform humanity, nor have I even thought of such since my sixth near death experience five years ago. I swear this world is trying to kill me ...

Enough on that though and on to your story. I think this was very well written, and while Jason did sound like a dick for a decent amount of it, Jason was also a man/stallion on a mission. Also, while I'm not saying he is a sunny character by any means, he is BELIEVABLE, and certainly does not fall under the 'superman' syndrome I've seen so many other characters fall into. I'm pleased to say that the character was well developed (as you based him off of yourself I would hope so) as well. Though you had a lot of angst in the story, but as I said before, not every character can be sunny, overly accepting, or have a ton of tact. So, considering you were consistent with the mannerisms, attitude, and what not, I have to say the story's characters balanced each other nicely and, in my opinion, responded to each other appropriately. There were probably a few grammar error or spelling issues to speak of, but nothing really stuck out enough for me to remember if there were.

So, all and all, good work. I hope you have the best of luck for your ambitions.

Fuck my life, not buck my life:facehoof:

4746958 Wow, you actually decided to judge something based on title... here's a tip, take it or leave it, read the story before you criticize it. (and I don't mean just one chapter.)

Comment posted by Space Wizard Novablast deleted Aug 7th, 2014

Ahahahano.

Main character is an 'edgy' self-insert, half the paragraphs equate to walls of text, world apparently consists of primary and secondary characters and no-one else, character personalities border on cliche, and throwing absolutely massive image files and youtube links onto the equivalent of every ten pages (or, in the case of the final two chapters, every second or third paragraph) gains you no favours...

Need I continue?

4749406 Dude, I got shit for linking my review on a story's page. That's a front-page group rule now.

4814541

oh crap, i always just think of it as good courtesy :rainbowderp:

ill be removing it immediately

4750600 Sorry to hear you don't like it, but that's your opinion. There are many others that would disagree with your thoughts on the matter and those are who I write for. I actually put in more images and videos because I got a few positive comments about them and how they 'improved' the story. Once again, I'm sorry you don't approve.

4939054 Yeah, I'm silly like that.

And...thus I read the alternate ending.
GAH! That hit me quite hard... I'm too tired to think of this(4 AM...I need my fuffing sleep)...so have my favorite and I'm outta here.

4750600
THIS IS MY HATER SHIELD, THIER ARE MANY LIKE HIM, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!

4941930
I agree....uh....I prefered the original and glad the original happened.

This self insert was good.

4949776 I may not show emotion very often, but when I do its pretty powerful huh?

Login or register to comment