• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 4,602 Views, 673 Comments

Buck My Life - JasontheDemon



Yes, I am a brony... the rare kind that DOESN'T WANT TO BE STUCK IN EQUESTRIA! This story is one about me, my life, and my overwhelming desire to return back to where I belong. But the longer I stay, the more my resolve weakens.

  • ...
53
 673
 4,602

Allow me to introduce myself...

Allow me to introduce myself...

I suppose I should start this thing off by telling you a little bit about myself. My name is Jason, I’m 22 years old, I have been told I have a knack for writing as well as art, my greatest passions are games and music... and I’m a brony who is currently stuck in Equestria. Think you have heard this all before? Well guess again because I’m probably the only brony who isn’t thrilled to be in a world of happy ponies... FOREVER! Think of that! Would you seriously be happy to be stuck in a world like Equestria for the rest of your life?! Ugh... I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me go back to how I wound up here.

* * * * * *

It was just your average run of the mill night for me. I was back in the computer room just wandering around on Youtube. My parents were yelling at the top of their lungs... like they always did. I don’t think I can remember a time when they weren’t like this. They didn’t fight constantly, but it was enough to make it seem normal to me. In fact I thought that was how all parents acted towards each other until I was like five and went to a friend's house to spend the night. Fighting was very common in my family, especially at Christmas and birthdays. Things were so bad that members of the family would be shunned completely and forced to stay away with restraining orders until they apologized. Everyone except me seemed to be off their rocker in one way or another. Some would steal, others did drugs until they had little to no brains left, and a few were just born dumb. I, however, seemed to be the special case. I was unmatched when it came to intelligence. I was the only one in my family to graduate, and I graduated as valedictorian at that. I only took drugs that were prescribed for me. Stealing, along with anything else illegal was beyond me. But most importantly, I tried to be generous, forgiving, and kind whenever I could. I would draw for others and never ask for something in return (as much as my dad told me to order them to pay for my work). Right now, drawing was just a hobby that helped me cope.

I wasn’t emotional, like at all. I was more like a statue than a person at this point. In middle school I was harassed by bullies daily. Yeah, I know this also sounds familiar, but have you ever heard of a case where you had nine bullies tormenting one person at once? That was me. I don’t know why I was the primary school target. Maybe it had something to do with my size or physical appearance, or perhaps it was my intellect and way of talking. Whatever it was, it kept them coming back every day for three years straight. Halfway through the first year, my heart and mental state couldn’t take much more abuse. We tried to get things to stop by telling teachers, parents, counselors, and even the principal multiple times, but the torment didn’t stop and the ones we told just gave up, not caring. So in order to keep what sanity I had left and avoid suicide... I just cut off my ties to emotions altogether. It took about a month to complete, and by the time I was done I felt no sorrow, no anger, no pain, and no joy. I let the bullies do what they did and I would never respond. I just sat there, cold and hard as my heart grew to be. This came with it's own problems though. After being cut off from my feelings for so long, I couldn't turn them back on so to speak. Emotions became a distant memory and everything I feel to this day is numbed to the point where I would say I can't feel at all. It bugged me that I lost contact with sensations such as joy, fear, and even sadness. The only emotion I rarely felt was anger and even that was dull.

Shortly after starting my freshman year of High School, I began to feel sick. I went home every day feeling very ill. Soon my parents began to worry and I went to the doctors around town. They always said I was perfectly healthy, but we knew better than that. Eventually we went to a doctor who we had been seeing for many years. That's when he noticed my fingernails were tinted blue and rolling over at the tips. He said it was called ‘clubbing’ and it only occurred when there was a lack of oxygen in the blood stream. He recommended that we go to a special hospital in a city a few hundred miles away. When we got there, the doctors placed a device on my finger that gave a blood oxygen read out. It was remarkably low. So low that a normal person would have long since passed out. I found out that even though I didn’t pass out, I was always out of breath. Walking, standing, any movement whatsoever, it didn’t matter, I was still easily fatigued. The only thing that could help was to have me breath pure oxygen from a large canister-like tank. Weeks went by as they kept us there to perform tests. After about a month we were released with no answers to what was wrong with me. We went back and forth to the hospital for a year, taking tests of every kind, monitoring every inch of me for some clue on my strange illness. My symptoms and medical statistics were shown to doctors from not just around the nation, but around the world! Still we found nothing that helped.

Years passed and I learned to cope. I did my schooling from home with the help of an amazing teacher. Eventually I graduated and began to feel like I was on my way to achieving my life goal. I was (and still am) focused on being a video game designer. I wish to make games that not only give people the happiness that I felt in my youth, but I also want people from around the world to become closer and more friendly towards one another by playing side by side. Basically I want to cause world peace by making games. Yes, it’s a silly idea, but it’s my silly idea. Because of the fighting I have seen in my life, I want it to end. I’m tired of pointless hate and rage. In these recent years I think it has gotten even worse.

One thing that I have come across that gives me a bit of hope though is the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I first heard of it a year ago from one of my two friends. I wasn’t paying attention at the time and only heard ‘My Little Pony’, so I asked what he said. He told me to forget about it like I was in danger. About two months went by and I couldn’t get it out of my head. I kept asking myself ‘what is so bad about it? Is there something wrong with the show? Is it morbid and violent?’. I couldn’t take it anymore so I decided to go on Youtube to check it out. After watching the first two episodes I wasn’t satisfied and believed that I just didn’t get to the ‘bad part’ yet. Soon after I was halfway through season one, I started to relax and enjoy the innocent cartoon. It wasn’t long before I had watched the entirety of what was out and realized that my friend didn’t want me to stay away because it was bad... he wanted me to stay away because it was so good it was addicting! For a while I was ashamed of liking it, but after a while I just gave up and admitted I was a brony to everyone I knew... even my dad, who didn’t react strongly one way or another. Eventually I made my own character and a fanfic to go with him, not to mention a crapload of artwork. I went by the user name ‘JasontheDemon’ for reasons that will be explained later. The only thing I didn’t do was go to conventions (because my condition made it virtually impossible) and buy merchandise. I liked the show a lot, but the only things worth buying were fanmade and they sold for way more than I could afford. Well that’s basically my life. Horrible family? Check. Bullied to the point of breaking down? Make that a double check. Health issues? BIG check! Ready to end it all and give up? Not in a million years!

So this is where I am today. As my mom started breaking stuff to make her side of the argument more ‘dramatic’, I put on my favorite episode of MLP and turned up the volume. I always felt better when I watched it. Even though I hadn’t felt true happiness since elementary school, it was enough to make me crack a smile every now and then. My favorite out of the mane six was Twilight. She was smart, sly, determined, and at the beginning she had no friends and avoided social interaction. In a way, she was just like me. I even took a personality test to find out what kind of person I was. The results were outstandingly accurate. While I was watching Discord (my favorite all time character) make his dramatic entrance I heard two very loud shouts that were close to screams. One from my mom, the other from my dad.

“Sometimes I just wish I could live in a place as peaceful as Equestria.”, I sighed, thinking that was a rather ironic thing to say considering what was on the screen.

~Your wish is granted! HA HA HA HA HA!~

I stared at the screen for a second with the closest thing to a shocked expression I could muster.

“Whoa... I don’t remember Discord ever saying that.”

Suddenly I heard a boom of thunder outside, but the weird thing was when I went to the window, there weren’t any clouds. It was a completely clear night. Right when I thought things couldn’t possibly get more bizarre, a bolt of red lightning shot past me and flew into the computer monitor on the other side of the room. It began to glow and shoot out black sparks before the image on the screen was replaced with a swirling black and dark purple vortex.

“Well... that’s not normal.”, I said in my usual listless way.

I began to inch my way along the wall and towards the door, however when I passed in front of the monitor, the vortex swirled faster and made a sucking force like it knew I was there.

“No! Bad computer! Stop being a spinning portal of doom right now!”, I shouted, treating it the same way someone would treat a dog. Apparently it didn’t like the way I was talking to it by the way it increased the suction.

I quickly grabbed hold of the door knob, but wasn’t able to hold on for long considering I was incredibly weak and easy to tire.

I started to lose my grip and my thumb slipped off.

“No..."

Next my index finger and pinky could no longer cling to the sleek surface.

“No! No! No!”

Finally I lost my grasp all together.

“NOOoo-ooOOOOOH CRAAAAAAAAAAP!”, I yelled as I got pulled into the very thing that I viewed pony videos on just moments before.

* * * * * *

I started to wake up who knows how long after I was sucked in. It always took me forever to get up. For a while I was wondering where my covers were as I reached for them. I noticed that something felt... different. Finally getting frustrated, I opened my eyes to figure out what was going on. The first thing I noticed was that I wasn’t in my room. Second thing, I wasn’t in the United States. Third thing? I wasn’t even on planet Earth! I was laying on some grass by a forest. The thing that tipped me off that I wasn’t on Earth was how different things looked. It was like a cross between 2-D and 3-D. Almost like one of the many cell shaded games I played. Upon further examination, I found out that the reason I felt weird was because... I was a pony! I deduced that meant I was in Equestria. By glancing around at my surroundings I noticed what looked like Canterlot in the distance. Yep, definitely Equestria. I cracked my average half smile while the rest of my face remained unchanged. ‘I am finally having my first MLP dream... and I know I’m dreaming so that means this is a lucid dream! I probably won’t want to disturb things too much though since I want to get as much creative inspiration that I can from this.’, I thought to myself my usual rationalizing way. I always would put a lot of thought into every action I made. It was probably a reaction that was made stronger by my years of being ill and needing to think of creative ways to conserve energy while remaining efficient and productive. While pondering what I should begin my ‘dream’ with, I heard a little squeak come from beside me. I looked over and saw that it was Fluttershy. I guess I gave her a creepy smile because she flinched away from me. She didn’t run though, infact she gathered enough courage to ask me a question.

“Um... Are you... okay mister? You were laying out here for a long time and, erm, you look a little, um... dizzy.”

“Well if it isn’t my second favorite from the mane six! I’m fine, thanks for asking. So where’s Daemon? Wait, let me guess, he's waiting to rock out with me, right?” I asked feeling rather excited, which was very rare for me.

Fluttershy just looked at me like I escaped from the loony bin and responded, “I’m sorry but... who?”

“Huh. I guess it doesn’t matter. I mean I created him so there isn’t anything I can gain from talking to him in my dreams that I don’t already know myself.”, I explained aloud. Fluttershy just kept looking at me with an increased sense of fear.

“A-are you s-s-sure you are alright, mister? Did you hit your head or something?” She asked taking a step back.

“Oh yes I’m just fantastic now that I’m here with you. I never was quite able to portray that shyness that you possess, but talking with you will probably help me in that department. By the way, please stop calling me mister. As cute as it is, I would rather be called Jason.”

A few things I said caused the light yellow mare to blush. Even though there was much more I could learn from her, I wanted to meet the rest of the crew. I tried to stand up, but the one thing that people don’t mention in fan fictions is the fact that the human body and pony body are vastly different and going from one to the other screws with your ability to coordinate movements. Fluttershy giggled a little as I flopped about. Since I was getting nowhere, I took a moment to focus my mind and test my new body out. I remained mostly still as I discovered how much effort each limb needed and what did what. To get a reference on how walking was performed I looked out in the distance to see what looked like Berry Punch. I made a mental note of which legs moved when and estimated the rate at which they moved. After getting all the information I needed I stood up and started walking almost flawlessly. ‘God I love you brain!’ I thought, pleased with the outstanding accomplishment of walking. Fluttershy followed behind me... nearly five feet behind me. I saw that I was close to Ponyville so I made my way there. I wished that Berry Punch was running when I saw her because at my current pace I felt like a turtle. When I finally made it into the streets, I walked up to a store window to check myself out. I had my usual green eyes, gunmetal rimmed glasses that hung a little too low on my face (I always had to push the damn things up), my favorite army green jacket, and on top of my head was my brown ‘Shaggy’ hair, and when I say Shaggy, I mean like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. That was all the normal stuff though. The things involving my pony appearance included two pointed ears that stuck straight up, a very light brown coat of fine short fur, and a pointed horn jetting up from my forehead. I was a unicorn. I wasn’t too surprised since it made so much sense that I would be. I wasn’t fast or strong. I didn’t have great endurance or boundless energy. I was just very smart and creative. Unicorns were usually the ones that used their minds to accomplish things, just like me.

One thing I didn’t expect to see was a cutie mark, and even if I did, I would have thought it would be something lame like a paintbrush or a pencil. However when I looked in the reflection I saw what looked a little like the symbol for yin and yang, but both sides were solid black. I didn’t recall seeing such a symbol before, but since this was all a dream it didn’t matter what it was... it wouldn’t be there in the morning anyway. Thats when I heard Pinkies gasp right next to my ear. ‘Oh great... I know what comes next.’ I thought remembering her ‘Welcome Wagon’ with Cranky. It was a good thing I was dreaming or I’d be heading for the hills. After I gave a frustrated sigh and looked over at Pinkie with disdain, seeing her grinning ear to ear, she asked if she could welcome me to Ponyville.

Feeling cocky, I simply said, “Bring it on.”

Pinkie rolled out the decorated wagon and started to sing the song that I hated before grabbing on to me and saying, “Wait for it...”

I tensed up, not really sure why, and waited to get hit with cake batter. Like I predicted, confetti flew out of the oven and cake batter shot out of the confetti cannons. It hit us both dead on, but given how weak and lanky I was, I hit the ground from the force of it all. That's when I noticed that when I fell to the ground, it hurt! Staggering back up I was quickly licked clean by Pinkie Pie. I now knew I wasn’t dreaming. My mind raced and I quickly summed up what it all meant. I was stuck in a land of pastel colored ponies, I was nowhere near home, and I couldn’t get back to where I belonged. So, here we are... I’m a pony, all my hard work and turmoil might as well have been for nothing, and I have no way of achieving what I want most. In conclusion...

"Buck... my... life."