• Published 26th Aug 2022
  • 1,827 Views, 82 Comments

Once Spiked, Now Barbed - David Silver



She smiles into the mirror, pleased with the dragon she sees. Once she tried to be as macho as she could, but that was a game. Now she can just be herself.

  • ...
73
 82
 1,827

11 - Pink Party

As if Barb could expect anything else from Pinkie, the entire area was prepared for a party. Ponies were chatting, drinking tasty drinks, eating snacks, and playing games. And it was all dedicated to her. "Barb." And there was Twilight, looking less cheerful than most. "Can we talk?"

Still, she had gotten the name right! Points! "Sure. What's up?"

"First... congratulations." She dipped her head at Barb. "This is a big step for you... As your sister, I want to be there for you." She reached out a hoof for Barb's chest. "You're still my precious little br--" She shook her head. "Sister, and I still love you. That doesn't change so easily."

Barb hopped up, hugging Twilight firmly and getting one in return. For a moment, there was just quiet companionship.

"However," Twilight sighed out. "Pinkie sure knows how to pick a location!"

Barb looked about at the other happy ponies. "Seems to be working out..."

Twilight released Barb back to the ground. "It's another place where... things changed, and never went back." She turned to point her horn at the spot the library once stood. "I have many... lovely memories of that library... But it's gone, and it's not coming back. Part of me wonders if she just picked it because of our connection, or if she was going for a deeper meaning. This is another change. There's little chance of coming back from, that I will need to adjust to..."

Barb gently patted Twilight's side. "I'm still here, for either big change. Your friends and family haven't gone anywhere."

Twilight wrapped an arm around Barb, drawing her closed. "At least there's that." She nuzzled her little dragon gently. "Now! Enough of Twilight feeling things, go, enjoy your party."

There was plenty to enjoy. Barb bounced from one smiling face to the next. They were happy to greet her new self. "Shoot." Even Granny Smith was there. "Pinkie sure does like to outdo herself, don't she?"

"Would she still be Pinkie if she didn't?" Barb shrugged at the idea. "Thanks for coming."

"As if ah'd miss it." She swatted Barb lightly with a hoof. "Now..." She leaned in. "Ah know what Big Mac's goin' through... At least yer case is more... done. It's a big change, sure, but it ain't changin'. Poor stallion, always gonna be changin'!"

Barb caught the key word there. "But our friendship won't be."

"Glad to hear it." She gently hugged Barb. "Yer welcome by the farm anytime, as if ya need me to remind you."

But it was still nice to hear. Barb eagerly returned the hug and bounced off to the others at the party. Ah, there was Lyra and Bon Bon. "Hey!" She waved at the two of them.

Lyra raised a hoof. "Hey! I'll be putting on my performance soon." A lyre popped into existance over her head, horn glowing. "Hope you're ready!"

Bon Bon more sedately patted a spot next to them, eyes on Barb.

Barb accepted the unspoken invitation, hopping up beside them. "Good to see you both. Having fun?"

Bon Bon coiled on herself, drawing out a little bag clenched in her teeth and holding it towards Barb. "I try to offer new ponies in town a little treat, so you get this."

Barb caught the little cloth bag when it was released. "Thanks." She pulled it open from the top and peeked inside. "Hey, neat!" She popped out a little chocolate ball from within and chomped it. "Not to complain, but why didn't we get one of these when we first came to town?"

Bon Bon considered that. "Maybe because I knew you weren't quite here yet."

Lyra swatted her girlfriend. "Smooth! Pretty sure she just forgot."

Barb giggled at that. "Well, I appreciate it, and I bet you'll knock 'em dead, Lyra."

"Oh, wow, hope not." She plucked at her lyre with her magic. "I need them alive for the next show."

Barb snickered at that reaction. "Not literally." She slid to the ground. "I'm sure you'll be great. Thanks for coming." The two waved as Barb continued her patrol to see all the ponies.There was an earth pony he knew! "Davenport!"

The brown pony perked up. "Oh, the mare of the hour. Hello, Barbara. I'm afraid I didn't bring many supplies with me." Despite that, he was already drawing out a small box. "Just one."

Barb blinked at the little box. "What's that?"

"A gift." He held it out towards Barb. "A congratulations for the day, and a hope for a later business, hm?"

Barb accepted the box and popped it open without delay. Within was an ornate fountain pen. "I know Twilight prefers quills, and they are lovely, but do try that. Works the same, but doesn't break. You can still come to me for ink, have no fear."

Barb squeezed the box, closing it along the way. "Thanks! That's really nice."

He tipped the hat he wasn't wearing. "Glad you like it. But don't let me hold you. I see other ponies waiting their turn."

The crusaders rushed up to get their turn. Sweetie waved over Barb. "You're looking fantastic today. I'm surprised you aren't wearing a dress, if we're being honest."

"That's only--" Rarity emerged from the crowd. "--because I haven't yet given my gift." The crusaders spread to either side to let Rarity present a ribboned package to Barb.

Barb snatched the gift. She could guess what it was. It wasn't like Rarity was very subtle about it. She hopped up and forward, smooching Rarity on the cheek. A friend's kiss. The other sort had been shut down, but friends could give kisses! "Thanks! I'll be right back!" And off she ran to make that happen.

Rarity rubbed where she had been kissed. "She certainly seems eager..." She smiled at the crusaders. "My apologies. You barely had a chance to say hello and I went and ruined it."

Apple Bloom waved it off. "It ain't no thang. Not like we can't see Barb anytime."

Scootaloo flashed a grin. "Besides, she's gonna play O&O with us! We'll get more of her than a lot of other ponies. Can't be super mad."

Elsewhere, Barb tore her dress free and quickly climbed into it. One downside of feminine attire was that they had zippers and things in the worst possible place... "I know a fashion designer," she swore to herself. "We're fixing this!" But, for the moment, she was stuck with a dress half-hanging from her. "Twilight!?" But Twilight wasn't there. She was out at the party Barb had fled.

"Shoot..." She dashed for a window and peeked outside. There! A form was jogging from the friendship school. "Hey!" Barb waved at them wildly.

Smolder looked up at the voice. "Barb?" She took off, easily ascending to get at Barb. "What are you doing here? Figured you'd be at your party right now. I was headed to you!"

That was when she got a good look at what Barb was wearing, or failing to wear. "Woah." She hopped through the window and hit the ground next to Barb. "Um..." Alright, part of her wanted to make fun of the frilly dress.

Another part of her was super jealous she didn't have it on.

Another another part began to blush at the idea of anycreature seeing her within 30 feet of the dress. "What's... up?

And Barb was ignorant of it all, turning to display her back. "I'm sorry for bothering you, but could you help me zip up? I can't reach any of it."

"Why are the zippers in the back?" grunted Smolder. "They could put them almost anywhere else..."

"Right?!"

But Smolder did step in and start zipping and clicking clasps into place. "There, there... there." She clapped her hands as she stepped back. "How's it feel?"

Barb whirled to face Smolder, her dress lifting a moment with the motion. "I feel like I'm ready to take on the world!"

Smolder gave a polite clap. "Cool, cool... but you can't do that from in here." She pointed out the window she came in through. "Your party's down there, missing you."

"Right!" Barb flapped her wings, lifting from the ground. "Race you there."

"With you wearing that?" Smolder chuckled darkly as she lifted up next to Barb. "Too easy."

Easy or not, the two raced back to the party. They landed side by side to stomping ponies greeting them.

But Barb had not expected those unicorns.

Twilight Velvet stepped forward with a big smile. "There you are! Look at you... I thought I was the adventurous one." She pointed at herself, the thrillseeker of the family. "But there you go, showing me right up." She burst into laughter, devoid of hard feelings. "And you are making that dress work."

Barb's face was a furious red, standing before her parents. "Um... hi."

"Hello there." Night Light set an arm around Barb. "You didn't think we'd miss this big day, did you?"

Velvet snickered softly. "Wild horses would have to try to drag me away." She leaned in, eyebrows waggling. "Wouldn't work, but they sure can try."

Barb pushed at her with a laugh. "Love to see them try, and fail. Um.. Like it?" She turned left and right, showing off the frilly dress that Rarity had crafted for her. "Nice... right?"

Night Light inclined his head. "Not bad. I'd go with +3 yellow and -5 red, but not bad."

Velvet swatted at him. "Rarity knows what she's doing! Speaking of... I should bother her sometime, hm. Enjoy your party." She leaned in, smooching Barb on the forehead. "We're proud of you."

Barb was stunned a moment, but she wasn't sure why. Oh, duh... Hearing her parents approved and were proud of her... It was nice.

"Ayup." There was Big Mac, nodding at Barb. "Nice."

"Ain't it?" Barb smiled with more confidence. Big Mac had tried a dress, as a guy and a girl! "I can only hope to wear one half as good as you."

Big Mac colored at the implications. "Ain't like that... Happy not wearin' a dress..." He leaned in. "'Least while ah'm a stallion."

Barb nudged at Big Mac. "Then I have to talk to Blossom and swap some fashion tips."

Big Mac's coloring only grew worse. "Um... that sounds... kinda nice..." He wandered off, off balance and confused, but not unhappy.

"You were never in my class." There was Cheerilee. "I wouldn't have been able to raise you properly... Such a wonderful dragon you're becoming." She touched noses with Barb, rubbing gently. "I didn't do that raising, but I still feel proud... Is that silly?"

"Nah." Barb waved it away. "They say it takes a whole town to raise a foal right."

"Mmm, point." Cheerilee curled a hoof to her chin. "Then I'm proud to be part of that town, having played my little part to help such a lovely thing come into its own."

Barb smiled brightly. So many ponies were there, each with their own warm words. Some even with presents, optional as they were. She was surrounded by love and care... "Um." She hopped up on a table. "Your attention, please." Eyes turned towards her and conversation waned. "I want to thank you, all of you..." She started to bow, but thought better of it, turning it into a proper curtsey. "I'm super lucky! Um, to live with so many caring creatures."

"Shut up." oh, there was Ember. "You can't say that until after you check this out." She shoved a considerable rock at Barb. "Go on!"

Barb blinked at the rock. "What is it?" She dug her claws into it, finding it to be soft, relatively, for a rock. With a great heaving pull, she popped it in half, allowing a bright yellow garnet to fall to the table beneath her.

"Ta da!" Ember licked her lips. "Eat up and enjoy. From my personal stash."

"Aw." Barb snatched up the sparkling rock. "Is it alright if I just keep it?"

Ember rolled her eyes. "Oh wow, you are such a pony." She elbowed Barb gently. "Don't change."

Author's Note:

Party! A lot of brief exchanges, but they all felt super on point for the creature involved. What do you think?

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

Comments ( 10 )

"Hey!" He waved at the two of them.

She

zippeds

zippers

11457592
Fixed with a few others.

It's very nice that Barb is being so warmly accepted.

A yellow garnet inside a soft rock? An Apumicecot? There must be a better name to be similar to Apricot.? :pinkiesad2:

Once again I must thank you for making me cry. I'm so jealous of Barb, but I wish nothing but the best for her, heck, I wish to be her.

11481751
People on this website really don't like trans stories about canon characters for some reason.

Wow, it's really been over a year already since I commented? And here I am finally coming back to finish the story. I realize the last comment was all the way back in March. Now it certainly dealt with issues like laying eggs which is something that won't come up with the vast majority of transgender stories being about ponies. Yet at times I feel like there were hardly any conflicts. I say that and Barb had to deal with things like effectively breaking up with Rarity. I guess I think that since pretty much everyone was so accepting. That's generally the idea that transgender people like myself desire. I'm not saying stories can't or shouldn't be idealized like this, there's plenty of same sex relationships in stories that no one is against. Aside from Twilight struggling to remember to call Barb by that name, there's hardly any misunderstandings even from those who want to be supportive.

Granted, conflict in transgender stories tends to be focused on the transitioning character not getting or being where they want to be. Barb had it pretty lucky, some chaos magic and easy passing and self-acceptance. I supposed whoever requested this commission purposely wanted it to be like this and perhaps to fit the vibe of the show.

The chaos magic that turned Spike into Barb seems to have no downsides aside from what female dragons would have dealt with anyway. If it's on a timer that Barb needs to keep up with as not to turn back into Spike, I don't recall since it didn't happen or a risk of it happening.

The following from chapter 8.

Twilight grabbed Emolder's hand in her magic, tugging the draconic student forward. "We have to go. You said to get you."

"Woah, let's take a look." Smolder went around Barb for a better angle. "You're alright. It's gonna be alright..."

While some part of he was curious to see how the whole thing worked... It was also her little sister, and watching them during a moment of vulnerability felt wrong.

Is that meant to be her?

11769893
Fixed. The commissioner just wanted a slice of this new life. Nothing more or less. I hope I captured that. Barb isn't facing a hostile society. If I had my way, none like her would.

At least I can write about such a thing.

11770075
Yeah, I hope I wasn't implying that things had to be hostile. I can see the appeal in a transgender story where everycerature is supportive, even if they don't all understand it. You did captured that. I wish it were as easy IRL like chaos magic.

With that said, I do plan to read New Endings, Old Starts which might also be happy go lucky. And on that note, how heavily does transgender topics play in the story prior to this one involving Big Mac?

11770206
Big Mac's story is way more about self-identification and the long winding path that takes. There's more conflict there, but it is the same world. That conflict is not really about 'oh no, you're challenging my gender norms!'

New Endings, amusingly, has a character that had been trans, but basically isn't anymore? The story's not really about that at all. Do come along, fun times are ahead!

Login or register to comment