• Published 12th Oct 2021
  • 2,054 Views, 111 Comments

Rag Doll - No one is home



It started with an old man who just wanted a fresh start. He knew what kinda deal he was making. Gloomy Sonnet was just another sad unicorn. Charlie was just her rag doll. And then magic came back... they were NOT ready...

  • ...
8
 111
 2,054

PreviousChapters
Ladybug: Sunshine, Sunshine...

Author's Note:

Full disclosure: Only one part of this was written by an AI that I personally trained to write like me while drunk and high. Most of that statement is probably true... :unsuresweetie:

Opal-AI-N /: You are not authorized access outside the Magical Artifact Containment!

“You exist within a text construct.” The ragdoll nodded as he walked through the scrolling green maelstrom of data. “That’s neat to know.”

Opal-AIN /: All magical artifacts are to be stored in Magical Artifact Containment.

“You are not a very smart AI, Opaline.” The Ragdoll commented as he searched the flowing text for his querry. “I am clearly outside of storage. And telling me to go back isn’t going to work. You tried that.”

-=-=-=-

“Okay, is nopony going to talk about how Ocellia is a little foal size bug pony with six legs, now?” Sunny Starcout shuffled in her cute patient’s robe.

“Now Sunny,” Counciler Misty gently chided. “We don’t judge other creatures in group therapy.”

“I’m not judging! Ocellia’s great! She’s an adorable… whatever she is?” Sunny backpedaled. “We all have our weird stories. But none of us changed species in the first three days of group therapy.”

“Where does the time go?” OC quietly mused out loud.

“I know, one more day and we’re out of this fragment.” Lilly grinned as she stretched.

“No, I mean it’s a narrative time skip.” The ladybug gained a sudden clarity. “In the tunnels, the ruins of old Canterlot beneath Zephyre heights. Uncle did this, he skipped scenes to protect me.”

“Okay, Ocellia, girl… you know we’re besties…” I can see the world the way Uncle sees the world. “I like a fourth wall break a much as the next pink ghost pony. But you are pushing fifth walls here. Remember, we’re not actually in a hospital. We’re on a train. That passes through a hospital…”

“We’re not even passing through a hospital.” I can’t help but laugh as I scuttle. Everyone can see me. And I’m totally okay with this and where DID that time go?

-=-=-=-

The hospital fragment dissolved into a blur, leaving Lilly and Ocellia alone in a vast expanse of white. Lilly glanced around uneasily, her etheral form blinking in and out.

"Where are we?" she asked. "This doesn't look like any part of the train I've seen before."

Ocellia didn't reply, her eyes fixed ahead at a hazy silhouette coming into focus. It was Ragdoll, his unblinking button eyes staring back lifeless and cold. Ocellia shuddered, a deep unease settling in her heart. Something wasn't right.

"Uncle?" she said uncertainly. "What is this place? Why do you feel...different?"

The Ragdoll tilted its head slowly. When it spoke, the voice was flat and hollow, devoid of warmth or spirit. "You wanted the power. Now you have it."

Ocellia took a hesitant step back as the Ragdoll moved towards her, limbs stiff and jerky. This wasn't her uncle, she realized. Just an empty vessel.

Lilly looked between them anxiously. "OC, what's going on? I think we need to get out of this creepy void..."

Mist-AI:\ And then that happened…

“Something isn’t right…” Ocelia tried to process the overload of data accosting her brain.

Mist-AI:\ GUI interface off line. Physical containment has been breached. Patients are advised to avoid eye contact with any additional axis of perception they may not perceive with their usual sensory intakes.

“No.” The ladybug stated plainly as she stepped forward. “I control the Ragdoll. And the ragdoll is physically in contact with me right now. Lilly, we are not at all anywhere it looks like we are right now.”

“I know, we’re not really in a hospital, we’re on a train.” Lilly laughed nervously. “You get that right?”

“The hospital is fake… Double fake!” The lady bug wailed at the advancing plus monstrosity. “I can’t be fooled by dreams, because I have seen the Text! The Book of the Too Kind Prince, The Book of the Vagabond, the history of everything that never happened! And whatever is in charge here really needs to just give me back my doll and my phone and just back the buck up!”

The void around them sputtered with staticky lines of narrative text against a sky of nothing.

“Uh, Ocellia,” Lilly poked her friend nervously, “You might want to tone it down to eleven?”

Opal-AIN:\ Security breach in progress. Inception failure imminent. This is why I told you we had to seize all magical artifacts, Mist-AI! I’m not just being mean. Some of our patients are dangerous!

“Get ready for it, Lily! We’re about to wake up.” The ladybug laughed.

“Wait, what do you mean wake up?” The pink ghost pony exclaimed with a quick double take.

Mist-AI:/ Please consider the safety of the other patients.

“You should have given me back my phone.” Ocellia snarled.

Opal-AIN:/ Error e42-C-978

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 2 )

Now to see what the next level up is hiding itself to be? :pinkiegasp:

“The hospital is fake… Double fake!” The lady bug wailed at the advancing plus monstrosity. “I can’t be fooled by dreams, because I have seen the Text! The Book of the Too Kind Prince, The Book of the Vagabond, the history of everything that never happened! And whatever is in charge here really needs to just give me back my doll and my phone and just back the buck up!”

Should be
advancing plush monstrosity

Login or register to comment