• Published 12th Oct 2021
  • 2,054 Views, 111 Comments

Rag Doll - No one is home



It started with an old man who just wanted a fresh start. He knew what kinda deal he was making. Gloomy Sonnet was just another sad unicorn. Charlie was just her rag doll. And then magic came back... they were NOT ready...

  • ...
8
 111
 2,054

PreviousChapters Next
Ladybug, Chapter 15: First Blood

The impossible sun dodged between music made text and thrown into corporeal reality by the power of saxophone jazz. Still his gaze remained locked on the instance flickering between pony, human, and nightmare changeling forms as she screamed. “I gave you your revenge. I even told you to stop. Just quit while you were ahead. And now the bill’s come to pay, and it’s not even your soul I’m collecting. Smile! Things are looking up for… Anypony? Really? Not judging. It’s your name.”

Notes swirled around the flickering thing that wished it was a creature. Onyx danced with her brass partner in a whirlwind of swinging music made manifest. She could see past the words. She could see past letters that made sound. And the music stopped, and she turned her lilac gaze on the flickering Anypony. “No pony gets to name you, but you. That was always the first law.”

The sun sneered as it’s words formed fire across a hidden sky. “Look on the bright side, your name is only the words ponies chose to call you.”

The flickering became an inferno of pink flames. “Monster.” A spine covered changeling filly filly snarled from the pyre. “Killer.” A changeling mare in a ringmaster’s tuxedo purred. “Degenerate.” An earth pony stallions sighed as he breathed the flames in deeply.

“You see, little pony. I only shine the hard light of truth.” The sun chuckled jovially to the unicorn. “I only give you hope. It’s hardly my fault you drink the poison. That’s just what hope is. You traded the power to rewrite reality itself for a pretty little shapeshifting mare-friend. And she led me right to you. And now where is the weapon you could have used to fight back?”

The blue mare smiled. And reality locked into place.

-=-=-=-=-

“Just stay calm Petal.” Rose Thorn leaned into his glitching pegasus mare-friend. “We can fix this. We know she found the doll at the face of the mountain. But how did she cross the chasm… twice…”

“True history is buried by the cards stacked on the present.” Jenny, the goat-faced earth pony, studied the cards stacked in a spider web of solitaire. “That which was buried has risen. That which was sealed has become released.”

The poster of the sun on the wall sneered. “All you need is hope.”

-=-=-=-=-

Thump. Thump. Thump. Her hooves needed no drums against the earth. Her saxophone screamed. “I was in a cave for days and days. With only a spark to light my way.”

The filly crawled beneath the great chasm between Bridlewood safe in the past from the leering sun. “I wanna give up. I wanna give in.” Her saxophone screamed in objection. “This was our crime. This was our sin.”

“But I still believe.” The notes danced playfully around the Sun, as the mare’s song continued. “No, I still believe.”

A plush ladybug marched across an alien desert. “Through the lies, and through the storms.”

Pony turned against pony in the background, tearing three last cities of equestria apart as the filly moved undeterred beneath the earth to the mountain she would see the top of. “Through the pain, though the wars.”

“No! I still believe!”

“You believe in what?” The sun flared in malevolent confidence. “Miracles?”

Writhing in her music, Onyx’s saxophone cried plaintive tears that manifested as desperate notes that floated just outside a reality waiting to be sculpted.

“Flat on my back, out at sea,” A small filly clung to a tiny doll that floated with an impossible buoyancy as the flood waters washed them together back into the valley of Bridlewood through the rapids of the gorge beneath the tree Izzy had felled to make the first bridge in generations. “Hopin’ these waves don’t cover me.”

“Turned and tossed upon the waves. When the darkness came, I felt the grave.” The filly and her doll shot over the rapids into the falls, where a rose colored unicorn found them washed up on the river bank.

“You’ve climbed so high,” the grinning Sun replied, “You stand so close to the edge.”

The saxophone wavered in an unsure moment as the notes circled closer to the glitching flame that refused to extinguish. And for a moment the music went silent.

A piano rhythm emerged from the silence. “Till death do us part, but we’re already past that phase.”

The sun leered hungrily as the Dragonfly emerged from the flames. “This is a brand new start, and I think I deserve some praise, for the way that I am!”

“Despite having overdosed, and ending up comatose.” Anypony looked pleadingly to Onyx for understanding. “I don’t give a damn!”

The notes burst out to assault the scowling Sun. “I’ve let my emotions go, fuck being a sober ho!”

“This is the matra, this is my life!” The music pushed the Sun unwillingly into kissing distance as the memory pulled the changeling filly unwillingly into kissing distance. “You’re playing with knives until the end of tonight.”

Too late the sun pulled back. The little queen only smiled. “Surrounded by fire, the passion ignites, I’ve heard a hit of heaven is one hell of high.” The Dragonfly’s tail struck into the right eye of the sun. And the poison of hope poured forth.

“It doesn’t matter what you call me.” She whispered seductively as she force fed the wicked parasite. “I. Am. A. Queen.”

Author's Note:

And Boom.  Mr. Sunshine attacks.  Musical credits…

PreviousChapters Next