• Published 13th Nov 2020
  • 5,321 Views, 193 Comments

Exploring the Castle - Dragonfire2lm



Henry Stickmin broke the teleporter, next thing he knows he's in a castle who-knows-where with talking equines. A choose-your-own adventure Henry Stickmin crossover fanfiction.

  • ...
4
 193
 5,321

Bonus

Henry stared down at a letter that had appeared out of thin air, with nothing else to do in the broom cupboard, he opened it, fully aware it wasn't meant for him.

Firstly, thank you for reading Exploring the Castle.

I found about The Henry Stickmin Collection after getting hooked on watching Jacksepticeye and Markiplier play Among Us. After learning about all the references to the Henry Stickmin games in Among Us, I stumbled across a three-and-a-half hours long video of every fail and ending in every game in the recently released Henry Stickmin Collection.

Yes, I watched all of it, yes I am obsessed with stick figures. Simply put, there wasn't enough fanfiction to my liking and since FiMfiction is the only site I'm on... I had to make Henry Stickmin crossover Fanfiction. So I started brainstorming, two ideas appealed to me, the one you've just read (assuming you didn't skip to the end) and a multi-chapter fanfic involving the Toppat Clan set before Infiltrating the Airship.

The Toppat fic is a cathartic one, wish fulfillment wrapped up in a storyline about a mercenary-with-standards helping the Toppats get their airship up and running after it lands on her house. Reginald and Right Hand Man some of my favorite characters so I wanted to write something involving them!

The idea for this entire AU is broken teleporter in the Jewel Baron timeline sends Henry and several other characters from other timelines to Equestria. Aside from either another choose-your-own adventure fic or short story that follows Henry after Exploring the Castle (I'm having trouble with working out the different branches in the story, so I might trim it down into a normal fic about Henry in Ponyville) and the Toppat fic, I'm still figuring things out as there's one more character I want to write about and this whole thing started as a half-baked fun idea anyway, I'm just having fun with it.

I hoped you enjoyed Exploring the Castle.

- Dragonfire2lm

Author's Note:

Trivia!

- Exploring the Castle was written entirely on the PS4, links and coloured text added on the computer.

- Sanguine Dream came up with the Fist fail.

- Barring the Fist fail, every bit of fail flavor text is just me, voicing my own thoughts. I'm also the narrator in the Broom Closet fail.

- The Alarm segment and corresponding fails weren't in my original roadmap for the story, I was almost done writing and felt like it didn't have enough stuff, so Henry tried to steal the gems on the Elements of Harmony vault doorframe.

- The story originally started with Henry using the teleporter in Stealing the Diamond but I wanted an excuse to write Toppat shenanigans in a fic later on so I changed it to when Henry smashed the teleporter in Completing the Mission. It also had three endings but I couldn't really think of a good branching off point for the third ending, so I scrapped it.

Comments ( 87 )

I beat it with only 2 fails!

cool read and click adventure story.

10529341
Thank you! I don't know if future fics will follow the same pattern but I wanted to try writing something similar to the games. You got everything in the collection? Nice.

10529344
Only 2 fails? Good job! Have fun getting the others.

10529354
I don't have the game, I can't even use my computer for very long due to my health and Steam vouchers are hard to come by.

I had fun writing it, I haven't put that much effort, research, and planning into a fic before!

10529340
For the fail involving
the crates, it specifically mentioned Harry being covered in a pile of wooden crates and all I could think of was Butthead saying "huhuh, he said wood."

This is a very nice story and it completely captures the spirit of the games, well done.

This could definitely work as a mini Henry Stickmin game. Well done!

10529401
Thank you! I wasn't sure if I'd gotten the humor right.

I'm still figuring things out as there's one more character I want to write about

It’s Elie isn’t it everybody seems to like her the best

10529440
No actually, I'm not really a huge fan of Ellie.

10529465
I'm trying to work out where he'd end up and what his story would be.

Written on PS4? I salute your patience with that keyboard.

10529481
It's less the keyboard and more the word limit. I have roughly 300-350 words to work with per chapter. Any scene that goes beyond that limit has to be written in chunks. It can really kill my motivation to write, especially if the PS4 errors and I lose everything I spent a good ten minutes writing.

I am proud of this story though! I had to get on the computer to add the links and text color but all that work was worth it!

That was an amazing fic 10/10 would read again

10529560
Thank you! I'm really proud of it!

10529312
That's not how it works. It's about discovering all the Failures.

The best My Little Pony & Henry Stickmin crossover fic I've ever read (maybe because is the first of its class published).

Congratulations for you, and I hope there could be a sequel in the future.

OH MY GOD! DRAGON!

i.postimg.cc/fLLfD87q/Dragon-got-Featured.jpg

I saw it at 8:50 AM my time. :3 I hope you're still featured by the time you get up today.

10529441
I though it was called the distraction dance

This was a fun read. I really enjoyed how this captured the comedy, references, and Henry’s unlucky fails. Just like the games. Good job.

The like to dislike ratio on this fic is perfect.

10529999
people called it the distraction dance

10529634
Thank you, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

10529769
There's going to be a sequel and another story in the same universe involving the Toppat Clan.

I'm still trying to work out what I want the direct follow-up to be though.

This was really cool, dude. What a great idea you had.

10530366
Thank you! It's been a bit of a shock seeing how much attention it's gotten but I'm happy people like it.

You had me laughing the entire time! :rainbowlaugh:

10530398
That's great! I don't write comedy all that often but I wanted to capture the spirit of the games.

This is a good thing. Thank you.

10530516
Thank you for taking the time to read it!

>"human" tag
>"henry stickmin"
what

What went well in 2020?
Indie game releases.

10530556
The characters in the Henry Stickmin series are confirmed to be human.

Did you really think that would work?

Nope!

Unfortunately for him, the mare noticed. She stood up, furious. "The Elements! Guards! stop them!"

Them?? As in, plural?

He descent was halted by a pair of pegasi guards catching him mid-fall.

His, you mean?

I'm happy to say I came across every fail before continuing the story except two of them. Really, if this was an actual, normal story, I would have been hooked. When I saw a CYOA in the description I mistook it for a comment driven story I read a long time ago. I loved that one story just for its sheer absurdity and comedy. I mean, if your characters in on the run, would you really just stand there and shout, "HEY LOOK, A DISTRACTION!"? Randomly accidental teleporting from the ever-free to Canterlot to one of the princesses while they're in the bathroom? Escaping with a pony version of the Doctor Who?

Because I thought it was a comment driven I had though the people would comment on the stories of how Henry could get out and by the time the next chapter came out, you would have chosen one and at the end of the chapter you do the other suggestions but of course, they fail. Don't know why, but I'd thought that'd be funny.

This is definitely a unique story among fimfiction, and with you saying there is a lack of the Henry Stickmen stories, I was a bit disappointed because I was just about to go look for that:fluttershysad::rainbowlaugh:

10530604
Them as in "The ponies can't tell Henry is a guy because ponies haven't seen his species before".

I wanted to have it feel like one of the games as everyone experiences the different failures and endings at their own pace. A comment driven story seems too limited and too chaotic, I want readers to have fun and I want to have fun writing without worrying about what people are going to think, suggest, or dislike as I do genuinely care about the feedback I get.

10530577
they are? the only place where he's called a human that i can find is on an unofficial wiki.

10530784
In Completing the Mission, in the Triple Threat route, Charles mentions the cannon used by Henry and Ellie was originally designed to fire humans.

10530624
The way it sounds like in the text, it sounds like she's saying to stop them as in more than one thing, and the explanation you gave me made my think she's saying for the guards to stop themselves? If it's gender-related then I could think of a few gender-neutral words that would fit. Words such as creatures, that, it, thing, and there are probably more. Though I'll admit calling someone it or thing as if he/she was an object would be kinda rude so I understand if those weren't used.

As for the way you set the story up, that's understandable. A little disappointing to me, as I rarely if ever read short stories as they tend to leave me wanting for me.

10530853
It wouldn't really be a Henry Stickmin fanfiction if it relied on comments, every ending is canon after all. At least, that's how I approached Exploring the Castle, something short, yet open-ended enough for other ideas later on. Something I can have fun with. I didn't expect it to get as popular as it did.

I do like the idea of comment driven stories, maybe for an AMA type story or something?

10529368
The "DODGE" for the Fail quote gave me the idea to reference TFS.

10530896
Ah, the dodge fail was inspired by DBZA but I'm not familiar with any of TFS' other stuff.

Login or register to comment