• Published 19th Dec 2011
  • 7,782 Views, 333 Comments

Synchronicity - Sev



Old grudges lead to shaky alliances when the lands outside Equestria unite against a common foe

  • ...
15
 333
 7,782

And to You, the Customer (author's thanks)

G'evening folks.

I want to thank you for spending the time to read and follow Synchronicity. Those of you who have been here since the beginning know this story has had horrifically long lapses between its latter updates, and your patience has been appreciated. Synchronicy began some two years ago, give or take, and various show-canon has put some pretty hefty dents in its assertions, but in the end it's been a delight to write it, and I can only hope you enjoyed the read.

Around midway through the writing of this story, I began a tumblr ask blog to attempt to promote it, staring Windswept. it worked out fairly well for a while, but my need to play with more material than simple asks drove me to begin a new project: storiesfromthefront.tumblr.com . That new blog consumed my time, and is the primary reason Synchronicity took so long to finish. With any luck, some of you who enjoyed this story also enjoy the storiesfromthefront blog, and didn't feel the lack quite so much as others. I'm one person, I only have so much time to split. thank you all for being patient.

Synchronicity ends with many questions left unanswered. Rainbow's secret love, the true history of Celestia, Luna and Aurora. The new dichotomy between Twilight and her friends (and the things twilight hides under her bed), the additional members of the council of harmony, and who wrote the letter left in Celestia's harem. While it may vex some readers, these things were left open intentionally. My little Pony is fun for me because it leaves so much up to you to interpret. there are so many mental stories to write, and the show leaves them up to you to decide which ones are worth expanding. This story is full of shipping and canon expansion, but it makes a deliberate attempt to not force any one relationship on you. Pick the ones you like! grow them in your mind. That, as a reader, was always more fun to me than being told who actually wanted whom, especially in a story that doesn't revolve around its romance. Synchronicty is a story about Twilight Sparkle and her friends, but there are a hundred different places elsewhere in Equestria in which other ponies were working just as hard as they were. Where were you? how did you fit in?

Those of you who enjoyed this story and want more from its canon should head to my tumblr and explore (its nsfw, so be warned). If nothing else, you'll see why it took so long to get this one finished! Thank you all for seeing this project through to its completion.

-Sev

Comments ( 48 )

I loved this story, and I'm hoping for a sequel but I can understand if there isn't one. Also, I dont know about the other unanswered questions, but I reckon dash's secret love is twilight. Why else would she ask rarity unless she was worried something had slipped through their mental thingy

Perfect ending to a perfect story.

Awesome! thanks for sharing this with us :twilightsmile:

My brain! It can't handle this Despair! :fluttercry:

Buck yes! I had this story on my faves for so long i totally forgot like 90% of the story, now it's time to re-read everything. :pinkiehappy:

well sev it seems you have updated in record time.

Hey, completed! It was a shame to see the old tumblr end, but I understand it wasn't the busiest place: Seaponies re-envisioned are a bit of a niche interest. Still, I enjoyed it while it lasted, and glad to see this story continued (and completed) in the end, rather than abandoned.

2989905 Time to pull an all-day and all-nighter :pinkiecrazy:

Sev

2995043
its a failing of mine, I know. I try and keep an eye on it, but I'm only semi successful

Sev

2995056
hey, thanks! Im glad you enjoyed it! Curious though, why make an account on a my little pony fanfiction board if you dont like my little pony? are you here for the crossovers?

Excellent story. I just wish you'd spell checked once in a while and solved many of the grammatical errors that plauged it.

Not enough Princess Rarity :raritycry:

I thought this was dead! woo!

Absolutely amazing Sev. I'm glad it's finally finished, but also a bit sad there won't be more. At least I can always read it again. :3

I'm really glad to see that this finally finished. :twilightsmile: The ending did a really nice job, I thought, of keeping up with all the disparate groups of characters and their actions while maintaining good overall pacing. This was a fine, epic adventure, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Sev

3006329
your comments, while appreciated, show a continue tendency to not actually absorb what you read. the connection between Twilight and Rarity was severed when Rarity became Princess, there have been several paragraphs dedicated to that fact. beginning with:
"“Company...” Rarity said, and realization caused her to look inward. “Twilight,” she said, alarm in her tone, “I can't hear Twilight anymore!”

Luna shook her head, and tapped the royal crown with her horn. “This,” she explained, “Is more than a symbol of authority. Its a tool of your post, and it protects your mind from coercion and manipulation. When you became Princess, it broke your bond to Twilight. All the more reason for me to get to her quickly.”

and several references since. moreover:

"And why in the hell would the stars attack?"

because Luna promised them the world. Chapter 10, bout halfway through.

"Also... Mac's on that council, that Twilight knew of, but didn't know he was on it? Why do I feel the urge to call bullshit?"

Read it again. *Of course not, nooo pressure at all. Now, did I read you right? Twelve ponies and two princess in a secret underground room run Equestria?*Twilight asked, and Rarity could taste her disbelief.

*It certainly seems that way,* Rarity replied.

*And one of them is Big Macintosh?* Twilight asked for confirmation's sake.

*Eeeeeyup,* Rarity replied, her own mental accent doing a poor job of mimicking the large stallion's voice. *I'm oddly alright with that, honestly,* she added, *he's always been a level-headed fellow.*

Twilight wasn't aware of any council, Mac or not. she simply didn't react with shock and awe. as far as Twilight is concerned, Equestria is run by Princess Celestia. that she has assistance is more a curiosity than it is mind blowing, and her mind was somewhat more occupied on the task of rescuing the Princess anyway.

"Or the fact that two of the Elements reside in them?"

Same chapter. Her purple hair had lengthened and now hung in a one long, elegant curve rather than its usual series of curls, and gave her shape a continuous, flowing movement in its aesthetic. Around her neck sat a large golden necklace as it had sat on Celestia's, but held in the middle was an object Rarity found of particular familiarity, and was almost as much a shock to her as the transformation itself.

“The Element of Generosity...” Rarity breathed, looking down, before turning to view the rest of herself.

Its great that you're leaving comments as you go, I appreciate that you'd take the time to do so! But I cant really help any perceived plotholes you find if said perceptions are due to you simply not noticing when they were explained. There are parts of this story that are left untouched and up to interpretation, but most of the larger points are resolved, if not immediately then within the next chapter or two. if something appears to be missing, I'd suggest re-reading it and seeing if its not just hiding somewhere.

Nicely done, man.

Some of it as a bit off, and you seemed to abandon the Twi/Rar link deal halfway through, but you did manage to spin a rather impressive tale.

I shall be rereading this later on.

~Skeeter The Lurker

When I first saw the update, I was skeptical. Can you really wrap up this entire story in one chapter? (Even though that last update about the size of two chapters for you)

I re-read the entire fic from chapter one, already bracing myself for a disappointing ending. I'm glad I was wrong on that. You last installment definitely lived up to the characters you spent so much time building.

Erm... got any stories in the works? :twilightsheepish:

Sev

3007956
XD pondering a little clopfic, just to try it. not quite as grand in scope, i know

Sev

3013057
might have been me, honestly. I ran a tumblr staring Windswept for a while in which I posted the same definition, and I think Ive mentioned it once or twice on Storiesfromthefront.tumblr.com

fantastic story. The only big negative was how you portrayed AJ's accent. I mean really, Tew and yew instead of To and You? :ajbemused: That's worse that Ah instead of I!

Whoa! This is certainly a surprise.:raritystarry: Guess I have some reading to do.:twilightsmile:

fantastic story, really happy to see that it was completed, i feared a permanent hiatus for a long time!

Thank you for finishing it. A wild ride and spectacular conclusion.

Superlative work.

This is a wonderful piece of fan fiction. I could feel the love that went into writing it, and it was a spellbinding read. I judge how much I truly enjoy a story by how much I empathize with what happens, and this one made me leak liquid pride.
Well done.

For the life of me I could not remember what story this was so I started reading. The title sounded familiar but it was not until I saw Admiral Pinkie Pie that I remembered. It all came back she was that engaging. Now I need to go back and see if I shipped Pinkie with anybody, though I probably did but with whom?

Pretty great story, I really liked the Rarity/Twilight sharing a mind angle, its a shame you stopped that since it allowed some great character moments and after it was severed Rarity got pushed to the back of the story and didn't get to do much, aside from figuring out and raising the sun.

The S&M angle was kinda weird, you hinted that both Rarity and Celestia were into it. I liked your concept of the stars, them being powered by wishes was pretty brilliant. I wish you did more with the end, it felt kinda rushed and didn't resolve too much, I'm fine with leaving Rainbow's interest in Fluttershy up in the air since that seems like what Rainbow might do, but at the end Rarity and Twilight don't even mention the link or anything. Just felt like it was too in a hurry to end, I guess.

Oh, also the statue of the mane6 in the underwater city was weird and kinda out of place. Earlier you said the lords of the deep captured Trixie and used her to get into the throne room, but you had someone offhandedly comment that if they had known about Twilight then they would have gone after her. The statue there says that every kelpie knew exactly who she was and what she did and the lords would have targeted her and her friend to get to Celestia.

Them being known by the kelpies didn't really seem like it needed to be included, I liked the moment but you could have gotten there other ways. Also the whole 'firemane' thing, while cool, didn't really need to be there and didn't really go anywhere. Same with the whole secret council, seems like they were just there for a joke and some exposition. The angle of a secret cabal controlling everything doesn't make much sense when you are used to having a single ruler for life already.


Anyway, as I said before, great story. Have a RariLight :duck::heart::twilightsmile:

In wondering about kelpies of all things, over a chat, a kind fellow named CvBrony linked this, and it was an enjoyable read in many aspects. Thank you for its writing, as it was a fun one to read.

That was way better than I expected. Not that I thought it would be bad, mind you, just didn't expect this kind of quality from the premise. Moments like Rarity ascending and Rainbow Dash becoming a Shadowbolt are the kind of thing that have a tendency to fall flat, but you made them work really well. I remember stopping a few times and thinking about dropping it from my "Read Later" list during the hiatus, very happy that I left it there until it was complete.

Sev

3351690
glad you got to finish it!

3356242
I actually didn't start until it was complete. I do that because otherwise I find myself forgetting important details that happened ten minutes ago in the story, but two months ago in real time. That and if I start switching between stories it gets kind of weird, when one's a story about Trixie getting over her insecurities and becoming friends with everyone and then I'm reading a chapter of something else where she murders Rarity or something.

So basically I never even would have known what I missed out on.

3356242

I vaguely remembered the old kelpie ask-blog from ages ago, but it appears you deleted it. I don't suppose you could direct me to a handy archive, could you? (The art, which I'm pretty sure was the same as the picture of Princess Aurora, was gorgeous.)

Sev

3361822
its actually still on the blog, which has been renamed sevartz.tumblr.com, about 36 pages back. but i have a much more current blog under storiesfromthefront.tumblr.com, or southwindstories.tumblr.com for SFW

3378692

Ah thank you, I'll trawl through it.

I'll also definitely check out the other one - I was just concerned the old ones might have been lost in the horrible mess of tubes we call the internet.

that was awesome

Is Windswept's blog still up? I've been following Stormy's blog for a while. Now, and I may have missed it, but I never knew about her predecessors.

Sev

3472741
afraid not. well, it IS, but its been changed into my modblog. youd have to go back 35 pages or so to find the old material. sevartz.tumblr.com

3499586
let the clicking begin.

you know, looking back at this fic, the description really doesn't do it justice.

...and it was worth the wait.

Finally, after sitting for about a year in my "Read Later" list, first awaiting finishing, then awaiting me picking it, I got around to it and... at last I'm not disappointed. I mean, I have roughly ~100 stories in the waiting list at all times, and recently several lengthy ones got finished, and quite a few of them let me down. A slew of upvotes on promising first chapters, then the author runs out of steam, forces themselves to push through and gives us a bland ending - I bet you know the pattern. Yours went in opposite direction. Actually, I dropped reading it sometime 2-3 months ago after the first chapter, simply because it wouldn't quite catch my attention. I mean, socially awkward is not my type of humor, and the Rarity-Twilight thing was anything but.
Then I ran out of more "promising" titles and got back to this, and gosh, was it worth it. The action picks up slowly but when it does... some might accuse you parts were rushed, parts with a long build-up too. And yet they were simply intense. Celestia's rescue, Rarity in harem - these were tiny scenes ending lengthy build-up arcs and yet they had as much impact as the detailed, lengthy battles.
Someone complained "too many moments of awesome". I disagree. You pushed the limit but you never crossed it into cheesyland. They were masterfully executed it. I still hear Fluttershy's voice in my head, saying "SEND ME TO WAR". Vivid imagery, original ideas, original, interesting characters, the eponymous synchronicity playing a key role - at first I thought it was just about the link, then when the link got severed I thought the story goes astray - then I understood, as the three teams formed, it goes beyond that - oh, that's something I, as an author still need to master! The multiple threads perfectly synchronized, oh yes!

Yes, there were mistakes, shortcomings. Actually leaving so many chekov guns hanging - despite what you write in the afterword - was disappointing, We'll never see if, and if - how Twilight recovers the gift from Princess Celestia. But these are forgivable. It's just a small cupcake of a dessert missing at the end of a luxurious meal. Nothing's perfect, and yet some things are simply awesome

Well,
Thank you.

I may be a bit late to the party but this story is to good to not leave a comment. You did a wonderful job with the characters and you managed to build a very rich world around them. Any negative criticism I have about this story is squashed by the good so severely they really aren't worth mentioning. It was a captivating and great read. Thanks for the story!

This was freaking awesome. The main reason I stopped doing the chapter-by-chapter comments was that I was so incredibly amazed by your epic story.

Seriously, you need to promote this more. Pull down "Groups," "Browse Groups" and join and put this in every group it belongs in. And there are so very many that it does.

I'm trying to write epic science fantasy in my Shadow Wars universe, and I'm astonished by what you've managed to do here. I guess I shouldn't have been since I've seen your arc with Cashmere and the Moon Spirit on your Stories From the Front, but that was ... small ... compared to this. Seriously.

Write more text fiction. You're good at it.

Of course, you're great at your comics art too.

I'm going to link a blog post to this story, because it really and deeply deserves it.

There's only one thing I can truly say about this Tale.

Beautiful... simply beautiful.

I deeply apologize for not commenting more, but I was so deeply sucked into the story I didn't want to stop to comment. This was masterfully done, from the characters to the pacing to the events within. I worried it would be too busy and complicated but you handled it masterfully.

Bravo.

Was expecting the fourth star to come down, be more powerful than the other three (though, only two were shown), and overwhelm the ponies, until they discover the friendship nuke or whatever, and obliterate it... That's how these things usually go, anyways.

Many years since the author has been here, but I read and reviewed this recently for anyone passing by who might be interested. I think the adventure parts were more successful than the comedy ones, and the early chapters aren't as well written in places, but the climax is gripping and ultimately that won me over. Upvoted as a result.

Login or register to comment