• Published 16th Oct 2019
  • 34,411 Views, 4,541 Comments

Trust Once Lost - Greenhorne



When I agreed to be sent to Equestria I didn't read the fine print. I'm the wrong age, the wrong gender, and lost in the wilderness.

  • ...
134
 4,541
 34,411

PreviousChapters Next
Best Policy

“Ahm not angry sugarcube,” Applejack’s muffled voice tried to comfort me through the bedclothes I’d wrapped myself in, “It wasn’t yer fault, there’s no need ta be scared.”

Just kill me now, save me from this embarrassment.

I could hear the hurt in Applejack’s voice and I knew that she’d feel just terrible if she thought she’d frightened me. No matter how much my embarrassment wanted me to scream at everypony to leave me alone, I knew I had to pretend to let Applejack comfort me, so she could ‘make up’ for what she saw as her mistake.

I poked my muzzle out of the blankets. The cooler air was refreshing, but I could still smell the cloying odor of my sick hanging in the room. I could smell Applejack too, and no, she didn’t smell like apples. She smelled of rich earth with a hint of healthy sweat, scents that were quite distinct from what I was used to in the hospital.

I slipped my head out of the blankets, my pony ears springing up to attention as they were freed from the blankets.

“It’s all right, Applejack,” I said. “Don’t worry about me, I was just being stupid. I’m not scared.”

“Oh darlin’ I know yer jus’ tryin’ ta be brave, but there ain’t no need ta candy-coat the truth.” The coat on Applejack’s forelegs was damp, no doubt from washing off my puke.

Right, she could tell when I was lying. I swallowed nervously.

“I’m not afraid of you,” I clarified. “I’m just a very anxious pony.”

Applejack raised a hoof to her chest and a distraught expression crossed her face.

Dammit, why can’t I stop lying?

“Yer afraid of me?” The hurt in her voice cut me deep.

“Not because I think you’ll hurt me!” I blurted out, “I just- I’m scared because you- because you’re the element of honesty and you can tell when something is the truth and I don’t want ponies to know w- to know things.”

I probably shouldn’t have said that.

“Ah know tellin’ tha’ truth can hurt sometimes, but you’ll feel much better if you just come out with it.” Applejack lectured, “Everypony here is trying to help you - they won’t think worse of ya, no matter what yer secret is, they’ll help ya.”

“It’s not something I need help with,” I explained. “It’s something- it’s- ugh!”

I huffed in frustration.

“Being the element of honesty doesn’t give me any special powers sugar cube, ya’ll just ain’t that good at fibbing.” Applejack said, “Besides which, we returned the elements to the Tree of Harmony. Ahm not here to interrogate ya.”

“You’re not?”

Applejack turned to Dayglow and the fluorescent mare sighed.

“I’m so sorry Green, I shouldn’t have sprung it on you like this.” Dayglow apologized. “I was talking with Applejack about potentially taking you in as a foster child and I thought I’d introduce you two to ease you into the idea.”

Dayglow looked miserable too. I just spread misery wherever I go, don’t I?

“I didn’t realize you would recognize her, or that you would react so... strongly,” Dayglow explained. “I want to get you placed in a stable environment as soon as possible, but I’d never place you with somepony you felt uncomfortable with.”

Foster care? I hadn’t considered that. I’d assumed I’d be going to an orphanage. I didn’t want to take up a foster care spot that was meant for some poor foal that actually needed it.

“I don’t want to go into foster care, I’ll be fine in an orphanage or whatever.”

“I know it can be scary going with somepony you don’t know-”

“-It’s not that!” I interrupted, “I just- I don’t need it. Isn’t there a waiting list? Isn’t there somepony else that needs it more?”

Dammit, I was screwing this up. I looked over at Applejack.

“Green, look at me.” Dayglow lifted my chin so I was looking into her eyes, “You’re just as important as anypony else. You deserve to be happy, you deserve to have a family that loves you and cares for you.”

“What if I don’t want a family?”

“What do you want?” Asked Dayglow, “If you could have anything, what would you ask for?”

“I just want a safe place to sleep, with food provided, and a small stipend to cover expenses until I’m old enough to get a job.” I chose my words carefully. “If I have to share a bunk room with a few other ponies that’s fine I suppose, but I’d prefer to be alone, and once I’m working, I can pay back the money.”

I sighed.

“Look, I get it,” I preempted the response, “You’re not going to give me what I want. You’re going to do whatever you think is best for me, but you asked.”

“Huh.” Said Dayglow. “That’s not what I expected you to say.”

“What was I supposed to say?”

“Well, most fillies your age would want to be a Princess, or to have a million bits.”

“Being a princess looks like a lot of work, and taking a million bits that’s going to help orphans seems kinda evil.”

“That’s a very practical way to look at things.” Said Dayglow, “It’s a bit bleak though, don’t you think?”

“Happiness isn’t achieved by having things handed to you.” I countered, quickly converting an Earth saying into pony speak, “A beggar could be the happiest pony in Equestria while a prince who has wanted for nothing may live in misery.”

“Are you happy, Green?”

“Yes.”

“You don’t seem happy, you seem miserable. You’re anxious around other ponies, you’re having panic attacks, you don’t trust anypony enough to speak with them honestly, and from what I’ve read, since you’ve come to us you’ve spent most of your time either sleeping or crying.”

“This situation is very stressful for me, but I’m generally a happy pony.”

“I’m no Pinkie Pie, but I know a thing or two about making ponies happy.” Dayglow said lightly, “For somepony to be happy, they need to feel safe. Not just physically safe, emotionally safe. Have you ever felt safe, Green? Have you had somepony you could trust with everything?”

I could feel my mother’s cold fingers, poor circulation from her weak heart. I grasped them tightly in my small hands.

“Stay with me, Mom, I’m right here with you. Breathe. You’re going to get through this.”
She shook and kept asking me if it was all right. I told her it was, and I kicked myself for even thinking about telling her the other kids were being mean to me at school. I could imagine what Dad would do if I told him. He’d march down to the school and ‘sort out’ the situation regardless of how I’d beg him not to.

I thought about all the ways I could answer the question with another question; what is 'trust'? Is it just being able to predict how someone will respond? With Applejack in the room I figured it was best just to get it over with.

“No,” I said truthfully. “I guess I never have.”

PreviousChapters Next