• Published 9th Oct 2019
  • 1,893 Views, 25 Comments

Dress Seller, I Am Getting Married, and I Need Your Finest Dresses - axxuy



Twilight commissions a dress from Rarity. But it's Rarity and Twilight: there is no such thing as just buying a dress.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,893

Chapter Fabulous

Twilight steeled herself before the door of Carousel Boutique. For this to work, she needed to seem completely casual. Or at least as much as she could around Rarity; remaining calm in front of such a beautiful mare was no easy thing. Dating her had quickly taught Twilight the value of a good fainting couch. And as time went on, and they grew closer and closer, Twilight had never stopped swooning. She wasn’t sure she wanted to.

But! She had business to attend to. She couldn’t stand around all day with a goofy smile on her face thinking about Rarity (such was best done in the presence of the mare anyway). To be fair, she was an astonishing mare, stunning in every sense of the word. And also one with whom the greatest care needed to be taken—she didn’t deserve any less. If anypony could manage that care, it was her, Twilight reminded herself once again.

It was hard. There are many different states in life, of varying levels of stressfulness. About-to-meet-Rarity ranked high in that regard. Being-with-Rarity was much lower, and was sublime. Getting there was the trick.

The solution, as it always was, was to let her hoof go forward, pushing the door open before she could think about it.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique. I shall be with you in just a moment,” Rarity’s heavenly voice called out from the back of the shop in answer to the bell.

“It’s just me,” Twilight said, keeping her voice as steady as possible. She could imagine perfectly the smile that broke out on her face as she heard those words. Rarity was a forceful pony, for all her elegance. Twilight did not merely go on dates with her and then head back to her castle to do her own work. No, her marefriend had long ago taken up permanent residence in her mind, and she saw her every time she closed her eyes. It was a comfortable arrangement, the waking world was not enough to contain Rarity, and Twilight was happy to dedicate her dreams to the task as well.

She trotted in and took a seat, waiting for Rarity to come out. She did this to herself every time. The one thing she could never seem to learn (or let herself learn) was that no matter how vivid she fancied her imagination and memory, it always, always paled before Rarity in life, in motion. The light gracefulness of her step, the bounce and sway of her mane and tail, everything really.

Rarity greeted her with her customary bright smile and hug (and, since nopony else was around, a kiss). Twilight accepted all those gifts gratefully. “Hello, darling. What brings you here?” She flourished her mane dramatically. “Has the Princess come to inspect my labor? I assure you, your Grace, that there is not one stitch in this shop that is not worthy of being worn by the Royal Personage.” She finished with a deep bow.

“Oh stop that. You’re the last pony I want bowing to me, you know that.” Twilight mumbled. Someday she wouldn’t get so flustered by that, someday.

“Anyway,” she continued, “I didn’t just come to watch you work today.”

Rarity’s eyebrow rose in perfect sync with her voice. “Oh? Just to ogle me, then?”

Twilight giggled. “Tempting, but not quite. I need a dress.”

Rarity furrowed her brow. She was so adorable when she was thinking, an impressive fact given how high her baseline adorableness was. “You’re commissioning another dress? What for? I’ve already prepared your wardrobe for all your engagements for the next three months. Stand still.”

Rarity’s horn lit up and a flurry of activity took over the shop. A rainbow of fabric swatches arrayed themselves around the two mares, several enchanted tapes set about taking Twilight’s measurements that she knew for a fact Rarity had memorized, and Rarity’s sketchpad joined them. “Now, what kind of event is this? Date? Time? Location?” If Rarity did not take a fact into account when designing a dress, then it was not a fact.

Twilight smiled (she forced herself not to smile too much), now was the critical moment. “I need a wedding dress. I’m not sure when the ceremony will be, I’m afraid.”

“Ah, well.” The colored fabrics flew away, replaced by various textures of white, as Rarity did exactly what Twilight hoped she would. “I have a few ideas for you, but I’ve never managed to get them into a whole.” Rarity spoke haltingly, rapidly switching between drawing, and holding up fabrics against Twilight at different angles and lengths. “But still, I’m so excited to finally be able to make you a we—wahaHa wuh?” She looked suddenly at Twilight, her eyes wide.

Twilight smiled silently with her own Princess Celestia Smile. She was not much of a prankster, but it was amusing to watch the confusion flicker across Rarity’s face (she was beautiful when confused: yet another entry on the long list of emotions Rarity looked beautiful while experiencing).

Her voice was uncharacteristically shaky as the bit finally dropped. “Tw-Twilight?”

“Will you?” Twilight said. It seemed somehow better not to state the real question out loud.

Trembling, eyes full of tears, Rarity answered her. By fainting.

Twilight caught her, and carried her to her favorite couch. She changed the sign on the door to closed, and joined her reclining, covering her with a wing.

When Rarity came to a minute later, she elaborated on her answer by kissing Twilight deeply and repeatedly, and whispering “yes”es and “I love you”s (in a ratio of four to one), all wrapped up in a tight hug.

Twilight had worried for weeks what kind of answer she would get. She hadn’t thought of any better than this. She held Rarity, her little seamstress, in her wings and hooves. Twilight could not imagine any greater happiness than that she felt in Rarity’s embrace, with the scent of perfume filling her nose, and her reflection shimmering in deep sapphire eyes, and an angelic voice whispering love in her ear. And above all, what made her happy, was to see the joy and love that Rarity felt when she gave those things herself.

Comments ( 23 )

Is this based on the Potion Seller meme?

An excellent little story.

That was adorable. I love it when Twilight gets to be the romantic and takes Rarity off guard, and you've done a great job capturing their dynamics.

Twilight smiled (she forced herself not to smile too much), now was the critical moment. “I need a wedding dress. I’m not sure when the ceremony will be, I’m afraid.”

“Ah, well.” The colored fabrics flew away, replaced by various textures of white, as Rarity did exactly what Twilight hoped she would.

Leave it to Rarity, THE ROMANTIC ONE! to not pick up on the word WEDDING right away.

That was too cute! Good work!

Adorable! Rarity's reaction was great. Not much more that can be said.

Okay, yeah, that was hella cute and funny. An excellent little tale.

9874559
Indeed it is.

JMP

Short but sweet. I love how fashion is just so automatic to Rarity she doesn't even process what Twilight actually said and what the connotations of it are.

9875245
Aha. Very funny video, that.

Goddamn that was smooooth :coolphoto:
Who's this impostor and what did they do with Twiggles? :rainbowwild:

Oh so very cute and heartwarming, Rarity's tux shall be fabulous!! :raritystarry:

You cannot handle my finest dresses Twilight.

Adorable purple dorks. Thank you for it.

9875642
Dress seller. I am going into matrimony, and I require your strongest. Dresses.
You can't handle my strongest dresses, Princess. Nopony can. My strongest dresses would kill the mightiest beast. With fabulosity!

Twilight 'smooooooooooooooooth' Sparkle

9876895
While various titles have been given to Princess Twilight Sparkle, the current ruler of Equestria, ranging from Twilight the Harmonious and Twilight the Friendly to Twilight the Conqueror, the only official title given by the Crown is Twilight the Smooth, said to be proposed by Princess Consort Rarity. The origins of this unusual title have not been explained, and as Princess Twilight is not particularly known for being smooth – particularly in the early years of her reign, where she had been more on the gauch side for politicians – it has been particularly mystifying. Academics all over Equestria have worked to uncover the reason behind the title, with little to no success and various outlandish theories being proposed.

It was an absolutely adorable story that was well-written and had good characterization, but I feel like the title is just the tiniest, tiniest bit disingenuous because despite the obvious reference it had literally nothing to do with that.

Well, that was exceedingly cute! Thank you! :twilightsmile:

9878001
I was expecting memes. I got fluff.
Kinda upset but it was cute.

Got her!

Very nice fic, thanks for writing one where Twi actually gets one over on Rarity for a change when it comes to romance. It was lovely, and Twilight should be very proud of herself.

9880326
She is proud of herself, but not as proud as Rarity is.

From the title, I expected something else.
It was a gamble, but your writting outskilled my budding disappointment and you replaced it with fuzzy feelings.
Well done

10309651
Hah! Pirates of the Caribbean reference!

Very sweet. Rarity would be a great marefriend to have.

Login or register to comment