• Published 15th Apr 2019
  • 5,738 Views, 275 Comments

Twilight Sparkle...The Gamer? - Moonlight_Mist



When Twilight fulfills her destiny and ascends to the throne of Canterlot, everything goes black. Turns out her life is a game, and she won. Now follow Twilight Sparkle as she experiences the shiny appeal of New Game+.

  • ...
14
 275
 5,738

Accidentally Amazing

Twilight's eyes lit up all of a sudden as she decided what she'd point out to Cadance. She extended a hoof in a way that the pink Alicorn would see, before fully extending it to point at another vendor of crops, but then she remembered something about the place that would serve to be a problem.. The farmer's market in Canterlot always did like to have vendors selling wares of all the same color.

It was a weird decision, but the way the overall display became like a rainbow of food did carry a certain visual appeal that Twilight couldn't deny struck something deep in her. It was always arranged darkest to lightest too, with the lightest of the reds and oranges being in the direction of the orange and yellow respectively, then the darkest of the yellows, greens, and blues being toward the greens, blues, and purples, with the purples reverting back to the dark to light pattern with the lightest purples at the end.

The whole thing blended together in a way that only added to the rainbow theme. It was a sight to behold. In this case though it made her job harder. She'd planned to point in the general direction of the tomatoes and scream 'Wed', since it wouldn't do to have her perfectly enunciating the 'r'. But clearly that wouldn't cut it.

Suddenly it was like a lightbulb went on in her head. She lit her horn and gently took hold of a tomato, lifting it from the stand and floating it over to her much to the annoyance of the vendor. "Hey! This isn't a charity! I don't care if you are a princess!" He initially assumed it was Cadance doing it, but then he saw the one with the lit horn was the baby on her back. "Oh great, it's the kid doing it! I don't need ponies giving their kids magic lessons at the expense of my merchandise! You're gonna compensate me for that, lady! I-huh?" He finally got a good look at the tomato in Twilight's aura, and was dumbstruck.

"Wha-but how? To think a baby could have such fine control. there's not even a blemish!" The surrounding crowd could only gasp in amazement and shock at this revelation. As for the merchant, he at least had the decency to look guilty for his tirade after realizing the truth. "I'm sorry kid, I didn't realize I was getting angry over a non-issue. You want that? Take it, for the trouble." Twilight played the foal act and just tilted her head as though lost.

Cadance had been stuck in place by her own shock from the moment she'd seen Twilight grab the tomato. It was a perfectly spherical tomato. Such a perfectly round object required equal force to be applied from all directions in order for the levitation spell to act upon it. It had to be equal from all directions to hold it in place, and the force equilibrium had to be disrupted in one or more directions in order to achieve telekinetic motion. Add to that, tomatoes are notoriously difficult for the young unicorns still learning control, being such a soft and tender object.

The line between just holding it and damaging it is so fine, some unicorns never learn enough control where they don't have to focus on not squeezing it too hard. There was an inkling in the back of Cadance's mind where she was wondering if Twilight was even a foal at all. Once she snapped out of her stupor, she took the red fruit when offered it by Twilight, placing it next to the lettuce. She grabbed and paid for a second tomato, then continued to walk around the market looking, but not before her gaze lingered on the foal astride her for but a moment.

You left the ponies in the market in awe of your mastery of magic control. Given the nature of Canterlot ponies, this is sure to spread. +5 reputation in Canterlot.

Cadance was left in awe of your mastery of magic control, but it seems she might be starting to wonder if you're really a baby. +1 bond with Cadance. Cadance is slightly suspicious of you.

Twilight saw that last bit and mentally facehoofed. Really? Why was she so bad at this?

Bond Quest: Help Gather Dinner!

Cadance is shopping for your family's dinner! Help her out!
Quest Update

First Ingredient
[ ] Noodles
[ ] Broccoli
[X] Lettuce

Second Ingredient
[X] Tomato
[ ] Olive Oil
[ ] Hay Dough

Third Ingredient
[ ] Oats
[ ] Strawberries
[ ] Potato

Help Cadance! Select a Third Ingredient!

Twilight knew she had to keep going with that, or at the very least it's not something she wanted stopped. Cadance had said she'd shop for dinner, but with this quest of helping Cadance, she was so used to being able to just help that she was struggling to maintain her act at all times. She'd neve had to trick those closest to her before. That doesn't mean she never did, a certain incident with a certain rainbow-maned pegasus that could have been handled so much better in hindsight comes to mind.

However, that just means she knows she doesn’t like how it makes her feel to knowingly trick someone close to her. She's always been completely open with her thoughts and feelings, so having to hide any of it away felt like a mental tug-of-war. Plus now Cadance is starting to get suspicious of her. What should she do? Should she let Cadance in on the truth? She didn't know, and that hurt her too! She looked lost as her mind went in circles.

Author's Note:

Another chance for readers to influence the story! I know I said last chapter this wouldn’t happen very often, but I want to get a feel early on for if you guys like this sort of thing. So, if it wasn’t made clear by the chapter itself already, the choice is in Twilight’s course of action regarding Cadance. Does she reveal the truth? Yes or no?

Also, a new addition to Twilight’s status updates.

Relationships

Bonds
Family
Shining Armor: 4 (Bond of family +3, Play time +1)
Twilight Velvet: 3 (Bond of family +3)
Night Light: 3 (Bond of Family +3)
Acquaintances
Celestia: 3 (Show of Great Potential +3)
Cadance: 1 (Show of Potential +1)
Friends
You aren’t close enough to anyone that you, or they, would call the other friend.

Reputation
Personal
Celestia: 4 (Breaking the Monotony +4)
City
Canterlot: 5 (Show of Great Potential +5)
Nation
Celestia feels a need to aid and protect you and your family, and hasn’t yet revealed your existence to Equestria as a whole.
Foreign Nation
Foreigners have not been made aware of you.

Comments ( 62 )

I would say that she should tell Cadance, perhaps even have it be a hidden quest with a great bond reward towards Cadance. Although it would be fun to see Twilight try to lie, I don't feel like it is in her nature.

I vote for revealing some of the true, the fact she can understand more than is normal at least. Also, its good to see more of this, looking forward to the next chapter.

Yes! Reveal the truth.

That shecan talk or that she is a rebirth?

9605383
I like that idea.

That doesn't mean she never did, a certain incident with a certain rainbow-maned pegasus that could have been handled so much better in hindsight comes to mind.

You mean the Mare-do-well abomina- I mean incident? Yeah, that could have gone better.

Also, I vote for revealling the truth.

I get the feeling this will backfire for Twi somehow either way. . . So with that in mind, I'll have to vote Truth. . .

- Thunder

I’m going to vote for a lie. Cadence is sure to tell somepony else (like Celestia) and they would do a lot of research on why Twilight could just rebirth.

Again, this is a well done chapter. VERY good job on the characterizations, exchanges and future chapter set-up in all the right places. And, yes, I too vote for fessing up to Cadance (albeit being careful to wait to do it until no one else is in earshot and swearing her to absolute secrecy), which would actually HELP with their bond in the long run (following a few months of awkwardness). As for the third ingredient, I would probably go with strawberries (assuming none of her family are allergic to strawberries). Though I DO really like potatoes, I like strawberries even more.


Plus, this ties into my "rescue civilians" idea. Similarly to the monster fights, there could be some missions (when she is old enough) that have her helping out during natural disasters (such as earthquakes, floods and hurricanes). Stopping those disasters with no civilians getting hurt and with an 80 percent or better reduction in property damage (in comparison to what COULD have happened if she did nothing) would obviously be worth a large amount of experience points and a sizeable reputation boost (how much on both counts depending on the severity of the disaster but NEVER less than +5000 experience points and +10 reputation boost), with +500 Experience points and +1 reputation for every 10, 000 bits of property damage she helps repair after the disaster is taken care of.

Also, for rescue work for civilians trapped in things like cave-ins and building fires (again, when she's old enough), she can get a double experience point and reputation boost for successfully rescuing EVERY civilian trapped in the cave-in or fire with NO property damage.

But, well, anyway, I'm sorry for letting my mind run away with me.

I'd say tell Cadence and insist on it being a complete and utter secret. No one else can be told about this, or there would be severe concequences.

Balancing her old tendencies and trying to tap into her inner foal seems like the hardest thing for Twilight so far. Admittedly it would be a challenge, balancing he memories, desire to do better on her second play though, and acting her age that's a very weird head space to occupy.

sometimes it's easier to keep a secret if you have someone you can share it with, so I say truth

9605495
You’re right, it is hard for her to do and it makes sense given her character. Twilight is terrible at adapting, and I’m pretty sure she knows it, given how badly she breaks down when something happens that throws a wad of chewed gum between two of the pages of her perfectly ordered, shiny, neat action plan (a take on throwing a wrench in the works personalized for our favorite adorkable little royal).

9605498
How many superheros become infinitely happier once they share their secret? Someone to share experiences with, vent to, and back up your BS excuses for why you know things you shouldn't, do things you shouldn't, and are always just late or just on time.

Go for the truth, it might help Twilight in the long run if one other pony knew

Revealing the truth and risking being seen as a manipulative witch that only wants to toy with the poor mortals just for the fun of it?
The very point of a new game + is to be able to fix your past mistakes, twilight don't have those, why would she ever want to cause some of them ?
For fun ? Hell yes, but truth will come out at some point, she can deal with it later, when sh'll be grown enough to be able to fix it.
(Also just look at my picture.)

Now that my input is out of the way: great job, it's fun to read and I'm curious to see what will happen next.

If she's gonna reveal the truth. It has to be done with some ambiguity like claiming reincarnation for example. Which is technically true but also not. Also I wouldn't reveal any details about "The Gamer" aspect of the world to Cadance.

I say play dumb. Show an adorable display of mischief as you just happen to coincidentally get all the stuff into the basket. Hard to do? Nonsense! Creativity knows no bounds!

Twilight? Listen carefully.
I need you to wait until it's just the two of you... and then you need to cry.
Shouldn't be too hard. You're frustrated. You feel guilty. This is one of the greatest friends you have ever known, and she doesn't know it.
"Please don't be angry," you could say, if you choose to speak. Even a "don't hate me" if you're feeling appropriately dramatic.
For added effect, offer a little paper heart.
Maybe find one in the market?
But don't overwhelm her with too much information. Make her interested in finding out more, like in those stories you and Rarity used to read.
On an unrelated note, I'm biased for strawberries.

I say reveal the truth some and point out it might not be wise just yet to let Celestia in on it in case she overreacts somehow and end up causing things to change drastically and warn her about Chrysalis early on, maybe find a way to befriend her assuming she wasn't already friends with Cadence before something destroyed it leading to the whole wedding incident and revenge plots. Maybe a few years from then after getting to know Twilight more, she can be let in on the secret because of the bond and have knowledge of upcoming threats to look out for and better ways of dealing with them. Like finding Sombra's marefriend and convincing both of them the Umbrum are not what they seem and would ruin this world if an peace agreement that would benefit everyone involved couldn't be made like how the Changelings led by Thorax have a peaceful coexistence with the ponies.

9605523
are you contradicting me, or agreeing with me? I literally can't tell, doesn't help tone is hard to get across on a computer.

Somehow I get the feeling that this may also be Cadance and/or Celestia's "New Game +", just started many years before Twilight, so one or both may already know what's going on.

You need carbs and more rounded vitamins. So potato fries are what I suggest.

9605641
Oh I was agreeing completely. The relationship between the protagonist and their inner circle is always more interesting to me when the shared secret is the foundation of it .

Breaking the Monotony +4

Too true, love it.

ANW

Only the fact that you are a future mind in a past body.
No revealing the game mechanics, or what happens in the future.

Play dumb play dumb play dumb D: You might get a quick game over if you let her in on it too soon, Twiley!!

Edit: Oh! Also, Strawberries!

I think no. Celestia will tell her in due time, and it's more like a lie of ommision than a false truth.

Let Cadance know EVERYTHING. Maybe there is a special achievement for having one special friend "A Secret Shared." Cadance is the perfect pony to tell. She could keep the secret, not flip out over it, and still retain the tendency to be your friend. Plus she didn't have so big an impact on the storyline that you are risking changing things all too much.

while i love the idea and the overall storywriteing is good
length of chapter vs time between posts is not adding up...im gonna take a stab in the dark and asume that either your strugeling to maintain focus or real life is being a bitch to you.

I think she should keep up the act. Letting Cadance know the truth would probably freak her out and run the risk of alienating her completely.

9605834
Yet, anyway. Don't want her brain to choke after all, but if she already has suspicions? She'd be able to handle this partial truth.

Cadence and Twilight bring home one head of lettuce, one tomato, and one potato.

Cadence: I thought we could eat potato salad for dinner tonight!

Velvet: Oh... you mean a salad with chunks of potato in it?

Cadence: No, just regular ol' potato salad!

Velvet: Princess, we can't make that with just-

Twilight zaps the three ingredients with her magic and makes a big bowl of this:

itsyummi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/mustard-potato-salad-feat.jpg

Tell Cadance some of the truth. The whole game thing is probably too much. But being reincarnated in the past? That's a (relatively) easier pill to swallow.

9606042
Actually, what happened was I was struggling to come up with the choices for the next part of the shopping quest, so I took some time away from the story so I could come back with a clearer head and fresher perspective. I was so eager to get more out due to all the positive reception that I experienced a burn out pretty fast. I’m better now, but I will admit that I was away for longer than I intended to be. I haven’t written a multi-part story in years, so it’s a matter of getting a feel for it again. Please bear with me.

I'm for the truth. But Twi should have her pinkie promise with all the motions.

Honestly, she's gonna need a little Honesty if she wants to grow up to wake the Elements again.

Would Cadance really be suspicious? What must her first few interactions with Flurry Heart have been like.

9606998
Cadance’s first few interactions with Flurry Heart would have been during the period before The Crystalling, where she had a lot of power but zero control.

9607087
Just putting this clarification out there real quick, in case it’s needed. What made Cadance start to feel suspicious of Twilight was the masterful control she displayed to levitate a perfectly spherical, easily damaged object with crisp movement and not damage it at all. That kind of control has only ever been displayed as a result of practice, something Twilight hasn’t had time for yet.

hay bacon for third ingredient, even if it isnt on the list. pony BLTs for dinner. also, limit cluing cadence in to small hints, concepts broken down to the most simplistc level. no need to show our cards yet.

Of course not. WHat will she tell them? That they all are NPC and all their lifes is just a game for her?

I'm going to say no, don't tell her, at least not yet. If her suspicions rise, then maybe coming clean might be wise, but not now.

Gonna put a vote in for "Yes."

The point of a New Game+ is to go through and see all the branches you didn't take the last time while picking up loot and abilities you couldn't get in your previous play through. All the while, bringing along all of your levels, abilities, and in some cases, loot you accumulated in the previous run.

Twilight's already on a different path than last time just choosing to be born an Alicorn instead of working her way up to it again, so why stop there? Having Cadance in on the secret could definitely help her later on, and since she already knows what she needs to do to get the Elements of Harmony (alongside everything else up to the point she ended her first game), she knows what manner of extra time and plans she can work with in the lead up. No need to stress herself over the idea of having to deceive those closest to her all the time; Cadance would help her in dealing with that by having someone to talk and vent to.

If Cadance is suspicious, I get the impression that this New Game+ version of Cadance is also more easily antagonized. Anything that deviates from the norm appears to be pushing her further and further away. I don't want the whole truth to be the last straw that sends Cadance flying for the hills and... well... killing herself. "Can alicorns kill themselves?" "I'm about to try!" *shivers*

In my experience, choose-your-own-adventure stories/commentator-guided-stories tend to lead to the worst possible endings nine times out of ten. I'm not a fan of authors who put the responsibility of the words they've written into the hands of someone that was passively interacting. It's like it's their excuse to say, "Nyah-nyah! Even though these are my words on the page, it's all your fault the main characters died or fell into depression or destroyed the world!" Maybe they're decent people in real life, but if the CYOA stories are the only reference I get about them, they come across as jerks and/or sociopaths. I don't enjoy the company of such descriptors.

That being said... I vote for the potato.

I think Twilight's pushing this too hard. I would vote Nay, but I think she's already hit past the point of acceptable return.

Twi does not tell cadence. maybe b/c twilight starts to get affected by her love magic which takes some of her agency. Like a I love you, and I expect you to be this image I see in my head. It stays like this for a bit, But the hard mode factor causes an event to occur that forces her hoof to reveal the truth to cadence. Might be cool to add in a luna returns cult that want to sacrifice twi to bring luna back. The prophecy can be interpreted like that. (The stars will aid in her escape)...

9622007
On the subject of Twilight’s lack of reaction, it never came to mind before honestly, but seeing someone address it and bring it to my attention gives me a reason to go back and add something I’ve been told I didn’t include that I should have, this being a gamer fic. Apparently there’s a passive skill; ‘gamer’s mind’, that gives ‘the gamer’ the ability to be rational and logical in spite of whatever circumstances they face that might freak any other person out. So I need to go back, and maybe have her question why she’s so calm, and have the HUD answer her question by showing her the ‘gamer’s mind’ skill tab.

There’s also a ‘gamer’s body’, but nothing’s come up yet that would warrant that as an explanation.

I go for strawberries, why is simple I’m a cook and my sister is a chef. Tomatoes and Lettuce point to a cool refreshing meal. Sandwiches or salads. Potatoes need to cook and are best hot or cooked and cooled in potato salad in a sauce either mayo or oil based.

Same with oats (thought ponies could eat them raw) oats could work in a salad but would not add to the flavor much.

Strawberries would be a nice pairing a sweetness to the cut the acidic tomatoes on a bed of lettuce.

As for telling the truth yes to reincarnation (in a sense). No to being from a future timeline (so not to risk the timeline) and no to the Gamer aspect (don’t break immersion!).

Login or register to comment