• Published 15th Apr 2019
  • 5,738 Views, 275 Comments

Twilight Sparkle...The Gamer? - Moonlight_Mist



When Twilight fulfills her destiny and ascends to the throne of Canterlot, everything goes black. Turns out her life is a game, and she won. Now follow Twilight Sparkle as she experiences the shiny appeal of New Game+.

  • ...
14
 275
 5,738

Chapter 2: Salvaging a Bad Outcome

Twilight would never have expected such a display to go so wrong. 'Perhaps I let my familiarity with my Cadance have too much influence in my decision of how to introduce myself.' Still, thinking about it wasn't going to do anything. Maybe there was room to salvage the burning train wreck that had become of her introduction to a different Cadance. Time to employ the most dangerous weapon in a foal's arsenal. The Sad Face. Twilight sat in front of Cadance, slouched her posture just a bit, folded her ears back, let her wings droop a bit, and very slightly lifted her right front hoof off the floor, then looked up at the pink Alicorn. Hey eyes had widened almost 18%, her pupils specifically enlarging to take up an astonishing 67% of her visible eyes. Her purple irises widened a bit as well, the vibrant violet color only further accentuating the already pronounced wet look of her eyes, like she would cry any minute.

Her bottom lip was pushed out an impressive quarter of an inch, achieving a remarkable 30º angle in what would be called a legendary example of a soul crushingly devastated looking pout. "C-Cay-d-dace g-go? N-no go! Zday!" She tried to make her speech sound as broken and infantile as possible without losing the meaning or completely butchering the words. As she continued to look at Cadance, she could tell she was faving an effect. She leaped at the pink alicorn and hugged her tight, fake tears falling in an expert display. "Cayd-d-dace sad? Mad? I sowwi." That did it. Cadance gasped and hugged the foal.

"No, no! I'm not mad at you! I was just confused. Maybe a little concerned." The pink Alicorn immediately regretted adding that bit on when Twilight sniffled and asked,

"I do bad?" Cadance shook her head furiously, desperate to assuage the fears of a filly too young to understand. Twilight smiled and the tears stopped, her face the perfect image of a foal's relief that they hadn't done wrong. Her thoughts told a very different story though. ‘I win!'

Bond Quest: First Impressions with Cadance
Cadance got with your brother because she babysat you. If you want that to happen again, you might want to make a good first impression for your prospective sitter.

Salvaged
Luckily Cadance has something of a bleeding heart for foals. Might be why she was always run ragged by little Flurry Heart.
+250 EXP
Quest Failure Penalty reduced. Awkward +5 status when interacting with Cadance reduced to awkward +2 status. Duration of 6 months reduced to 3 months.
65% chance Cadance will decide to be your sitter.
Bond with Cadance to be established.

Quest Salvage
Sometimes when a quest is failed, there's a chance to make up for the action (or lack thereof) that resulted in quest failure. This is called a Quest Salvage. A successful Quest Salvage results in a reduction in the quest failure penalty, plus a portion of the original Quest Success EXP and monetary reward being awarded to you on top of the much lower EXP and money given to you for your time when you failed the quest.

'Huh. Salvaging failed quests? Best not get into the habit of needing to correct my own mistakes, but still it's nice to know that's a thing. It would have been a shame if that act had gone to waste. Plus, now I know there might still be a chance to befriend Cadance and get him in with my brother.' Twilight looked at her mother and cooed innocently, visibly melting the heart of the previously mildly disturbed, off-white Unicorn. The foal Alicorn jumped to her next, hugging her just as tight as she previously did Cadance. It was a heartwarming sight to see, one that was ruined by a twitch in all present noses. Velvet gasped.

"Oh no! Dinner!" She was off like lightning, hoping that she wasn't too late to save her neglected cooking. Twilight and Cadance followed, and all three were disturbed by what they found. Night Light looking very proud of himself, standing in front of a range while black smoke billowed from the oven.

"I don't know how you made such a mistake honey." The blue stallion said, a smug look on his face as though he'd one-upped the master. "I mean really, what's the point of giving an appliance multiple settings if you're always going to turn it up to full every time anyway. It just leads to mistakes like what you made dear. You didn't turn the heat up all the way, but I fixed it for y-what's that smell?" Twilight facehoofed when she knew no one was watching.

'Seriously? My dad is that kind of stallion this time? Give me a break!' The purple princess thought. At the same time, her mother trotted up to her husband, a sickeningly sweet smile on her face that held a promise of despair beneath a curtain of false joy.

"That smell, dear, is you burning our dinner. How many times do I have to tell you, stay out oF MY KITCHEN!" The facade broke down very quickly, and very predictably, and with a blast of magic the blue stallion was ejected from his wife's sight. Cadance approached the mare, a pitying look on her face.

"Some ponies. What did you see in him, Velvet dear?" Surprisingly, the response given was not the usual 'sometimes I wonder that myself' that is usually the go to response to such a question. Instead, Velvet answered with her heart.

"I saw a rational, reasonable pony capable and willing to be an anchor to my adventurous spirit. More importantly, I saw a pony more than willing to put up with all that I am, which you know isn't always easy." The response given to that by Cadance was something in the realm of 'true enough', and then the girls shared a laugh before Cadance turned the oven off with a flick of magic.

"Oh, thanks for that. I can't believe I'd forgotten." Cadance gave a cheeky smile, and the two were back to laughing. To Twilight, it was like watching a pair of high school besties at a reunion after being apart for a year. Content with how the evening turned out, she smiled. Once the two got the laughter out of their systems, Velvet brought up the elephant that had suddenly stormed into the room.

"What to do for dinner though." Cadance took the opportunity to offer to pick something up. Velvet clearly considered it, but her only response what a very hesitant, "I-I couldn't ask you to do that! You're a guest, and a Princess besides!" Cadance waved the concern off, emphasizing that she offered, dismissing Velvet's attempt to make it sound like she was the one who brought it up. Once Cadance asked to bring Twilight, suggesting that it might be good for them; and her decision, if they spent more time together, Velvet was a bit more amicable.

With Velvet's blessing, Cadance grabbed Twilight in her magic and placed the foal atop her head. Still maintaining the persona of a normal foal, Twilight poked her head up between Cadance's ears, just above her horn in a display of false timidness mixed with an act of childish wonder. She was really getting into the act, seeing as there was a twinkle in her eye that really sold the 'childish wonder' angle. With a smile on both their faces, Cadance left the Sparkle home and made her way to the market district, talking about this or that to Twilight but expecting no more than the babbling she got in response. The pink Alicorn had a pleasant smile on her face by the time she got to the market.

As a pony who grew up a Pegasus raised by Earth Ponies, the many uses of Unicorn magic were still a novelty to her. Approaching a produce stall, she stared at the runic crystal-powered refrigeration unit with a wide-eyed wonder she'd normally expect from a foal like Twilight. She was snapped from her stupor by a gentle cough from a well-meaning Pegasus sales pony whose wings were very oddly folded. Perhaps luckily for Cadance, the crystal powered refrigerator was a rather new innovation, so it was currently in the novelty phase of its existence for all of ponykind. Thus, the fact that she; a pony with a Unicorn horn stared at it in wonder wasn't seen as odd.

Cadance struck up a conversation with the sales pony about his wares. He had suppliers from all over Equestria, so he always had different product from different climates that were always in season. The refrigeration certainly helped with that. It was a real bit saver once it became standard for cargo transports dealing with perishable goods. That the transports had to be made of something that worked with runic crystals made it better in other ways too. For example, the transports could be given defensive runes to protect against raid attempts.

Twilight took in the exchange like a sponge. She'd known about the refrigeration of course. It was an innovation that had come about shortly before she was born in her first life too. Still, runes and runic crystals had never been a subject of study at Celestia's school, since they were overall a new idea that too many considered impractical for too much to be taken seriously by the masses. As a result, classes focused on the study of runes were never approved for the School for Gifted Unicorns.

Speaking of; what a wake up call to learn years later that Celestia, Princess Celestia didn't have absolute authority for running her school. The school named for her. Too many of those on the EEA council didn't believe in the future of runes, so approval of rune study was never possible in any school. On a whim, Twilight chanced a glance at the palace. Cadance noticed her look, and giggled. "Yes Twilight, the palace is especially beautiful this time of day." When the sales pony asked about her, Cadance hesitated a bit, before responding,

"W-well I'm her...I'm her babysitter. I haven't actually started in an official capacity, but if she's going to be my charge I wanted to get to know her better, and what better time than now? Her father's a bit thick and ruined his wife's cooking, so I volunteered to get something to replace it!" The sales pony laughed and reiterated Cadance's previous statement of 'some ponies', then passed a white canister with a fake teat on one end to the pink Alicorn. At Cadance's inquiry, the sales pony revealed he was a father, opening his wings to reveal that the odd folding of them was covering a bundled up Pegasus foal.

Cadance had to keep herself from cooing in adoration, lest she awaken the baby, but the sales pony explained that the contents of the canister was a substitute for mothers' milk; so long as a baby had received the mother's first milk. Cadance passed the canister to Twilight, who after a brief appraisal worthy of a foal; one consisting on checking different parts of the thing to see if it was food, and then briefly tugging on the rubber teat, she settled for using it as intended. The sales pony figured that if Cadance was looking for something to make into a meal, produce probably wouldn't do it, though he did offer her a slight discount of a head of lettuce. The princess-in-training accepted graciously, and after the lettuce was paid for, the pair moved on to more stores. Twilight happened to notice the window of her 'game' open with text. A list?

[Bond Quest: Help Gather Dinner!
Cadance is shopping for your family's dinner! Help her out!

First Ingredient
[ ] Noodles
[ ] Broccoli
[X] Lettuce

Second Ingredient
[ ] Tomato
[ ] Olive Oil
[ ] Hay Dough

Help Cadance! Select a Second Ingredient!

Reward
+100 EXP
+1 Bond with Cadance

No Failure Condition

Twilight raised an eyebrow for a bit, then smiled. Any little nudge she could make toward a chance of having this Cadance be like the Cadance she remembers is worth a shot. She poked her head up behind Cadance's horn, and squinted her eyes, peering keenly over the selection of stores and wares before her. Though the question remained, what to pick...?

Author's Note:

Here’s the replacement Chapter 2. I’ll be honest, I didn’t realize until I tried to write this how much I was banking on the original Chapter 2, the one with the bombastic fight that ultimately made 0 sense both from a logic standpoint and; honestly, from a storytelling standpoint. I feel like the story so far benefits from not having a bombastic fight so soon. Maybe once Twilight’s old enough to be Celestia’s student. So yeah, too soon for such action, but I didn’t think it would be so hard to work around that once I decided it wasn’t going to work. Thanks to those whose comments made me think about it enough to realize that.

Two things. First off, while I’m not going to specify such in the chapter title, this chapter is currently to be considered in Beta form. Priority for finding any problems and corrections is to be focused here if at all possible; I thank you all for any and all contributions to the quality of this story to this point and moving forward.

Second, it won’t be something I do very often, and I know it’s awfully mundane to do it for, but if you readers want to include on of the three ingredients under the ‘Second Ingredient’ tab of Twilight’s current quest, I will use the one most picked at the start of the next chapter.

It’s not a necessity. I was originally planning on just continuing the chapter through the entirety of this quest, but I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of stories directed in some limited capacity by the readers. I’m thinking I’d like to try my hand at it for the future of this story, and decided this was the chance to get my feet wet in that regard with something mundane. Figured it was best to play it safe for my initial foray into something that; in my experience, seems to be awfully divisive.

In any case, you do you, and I’ll see you.

Name: Twilight Sparkle
Race: Alicorn
Class: Ranger/Archmage
Job Title: -/Princess
Level: 2
HP: 8400
MP: 9150
ATK: 560
DEF: 560
STR: 280
END: 280
SPD: 280
AGI: 275
INT: 280
WIS: 280
CLV: 275
RES: 280
COMBAT MG: 560
CRYSTAL MG: 560
TIME MG: 560
ILLUSION MG: 550
ARCANE MG: 560
HEART MG: 560
SOUL MG: 550
DARK MG: 560
EXP: 350
EXP:TNL: 350/150
LEVEL UP! Twilight Sparkle Level 3! +150 HP, +150 MP, +10 ATK, +10 DEF, +5 STR, +5 POW, +5 SPD, +5 AGI, +5 INT, +5 WIS, +5 CLV, +5 RES, +10 COMBAT MG, +10 CRYSTAL MG, +10 TIME MG, +10 ILLUSION MG, +10 ARCANE MG, +10 HEART MG, +10 SOUL MG, +10 DARK MG.
TNL: 200

Name: Twilight Sparkle
Race: Alicorn
Class: Ranger/Archmage
Job Title: -/Princess
Level: 3
HP: 8550
MP: 9400
ATK: 570
DEF: 570
STR: 285
END: 285
SPD: 285
AGI: 280
INT: 285
WIS: 285
CLV: 280
RES: 285
COMBAT MG: 570
CRYSTAL MG: 570
TIME MG: 570
ILLUSION MG: 560
ARCANE MG: 570
HEART MG: 570
SOUL MG: 560
DARK MG: 570
EXP: 350
EXP:TNL: 200/200
LEVEL UP! Twilight Sparkle Level 4! +150 HP, +150 MP, +10 ATK, +10 DEF, +5 STR, +5 POW, +5 SPD, +5 AGI, +5 INT, +5 WIS, +5 CLV, +5 RES, +10 COMBAT MG, +10 CRYSTAL MG, +10 TIME MG, +10 ILLUSION MG, +10 ARCANE MG, +10 HEART MG, +10 SOUL MG, +10 DARK MG.
TNL: 250