• Published 6th Mar 2019
  • 4,465 Views, 121 Comments

Rise of the Silent King - Alternivity

Comments ( 32 )

The Necron will follow their King and shall wait for more chapters

Pfft. So basically, you read the comments I and others made about how the MC didn’t seem to exist anymore, and now you’re addressing it?

I can’t decide whether to be disappointed that comments influenced the story so much outside of it being a comment-driven story, or happy that you actually took the comments into consideration.

To be fair to my own comments, I talked about how there was no mention of his thoughts before now. What I meant was that all the thoughts he made were from Szarek’s perspective, not his. I don’t believe that the Necron memories would overtake his human ones, that’s not how memories work. At worst he’ll become more Necron due to all the memories being processed, his personality changing as a result. But that’s not at all a bad thing, because he can still choose how to act, it’s just he’ll have extra memories regarding different ways to act. At best, nothing changes, and he just has access to more memories.

Basically my concern was that it seemed like the MC had completely disappeared after choosing to act as Szarek. While this chapter did somewhat solve it, there should still be references to the fact that he, as a human person, is still there.


It’s quite interesting, how you seem to have nipped the question of his immortality in the bud like that. I personally don’t approve of it, as I don’t think a vow would affect him that much.

9542615
I will admit that I let the comments affect the story, but they are not going to direct it. At most they tell me what issues I have to address and what I need to keep in mind.

Also, the actual Szarekh is something like 64 million years old and carries the sum of all Necron knowledge. What is thirty odd years to that? I know in humans memories don't work that way, but our brains are organic, imperfect, where Necron 'brains' are likely closer to infinite capacity digital storage devices, meaning practically no loss of information.

My character retains his personality only so long as his human memory is dominant, he acted more like Szarekh because at the time he was slowly being diluted by the real Szarekh.

On the subject of the vow, there is next to nothing I could written on Necron culture, I have found a few tidbits of Necrontyr culture, though nothing really about how it all worked.

Im taking a bit of creative license, where a promise, oath, or vow made, is to the Necron, something similar to the geass, an arcane contract that is either unbreakable or vengeful if broken.

I haven't covered the full consequences of it yet, but know I have a plan.

Im sorry if you're dissatisfied with my work, and I hope I can rise up to your standards.

Please, by all means, continue your critique, it helps immeasurably.

9542781
Honestly, you saying that the human brain is imperfect amuses me. The brain is the most complicated and most ingeniously designed organic component, and it's theorized that it could, in fact, store all of Szarekh's memories and the human's memories combined.

Though, yes, Necron brains are more like computers than anything. But that doesn't mean it's any more perfect than a brain, and you saying that they can recall things with perfect clarity is, in my opinion, wrong. There's a reason a computer has RAM, separate to the long-term memory. It works the exact same way as the brain, having the "short-term memory" and the "long-term memory". Only the RAM that's in the brain is far higher in capacity than the biggest RAM capacity on a computer, and varies much more. There's also the similarity in that, you can recall any memory in your brain that's in your short-term, while it takes a bit more to recall things in the long-term, because in your brain, similar to an SSD, you can access any "sector" of that memory at any time. Each individual sector of memory does not affect any other unless "accessed", "edited" then "stored", and even then the original "sectors" remain unless overwritten. Another interesting factoid about computers is that when you delete something, it's still there. All the files and folders on the computer that appear in the OS is actually in a "table", and when you delete a file or folder, its entry in that table is removed. The actual sector of memory for that file or folder, however, remains in the memory until overwritten. This is because memory can't be deleted, only overwritten.

So, a Necron brain can be assumed to work like a very complex computer imitating the functions of a brain. With that in mind, it doesn't matter where in the memory the memories are, they can't affect each other. The MC should be able to recall both his most recent human and Necron memories with perfect clarity, while everything else is in long-term.

As for your comment on how he acted more like Szarekh before; I noticed 0 difference. The character has always acted like himself in this story, I've noticed 0 difference, so you saying that he acted more like Szarekh before, implying he's acting more himself now, eh.

Fair enough on filling gaps in lore with your own, there's nothing really wrong with that even though people complain. My problem with it was that you made it such a big thing, that his vow meant that he'd die when Harvest died. I don't believe it'd be that extreme given what the Necron were created for, and my problem with it is that it mostly feels like a cheap way to say "this is the end", or to add a problem to overcome when that time does come.

I'm not completely "I hate this", I'm just a little bit disappointed in certain choices you've made.

I don't plan to stop my critique on stories anytime soon, despite certain people saying I'm mean <_<
Granted, I only give feedback if I feel it's needed, or make a comment if I just can't help myself.

My human life was not being overwritten, so much as it was being swept up like a drop of water in an ocean.

I see what you did there

9544226

First of all, wow. You've raised a couple of points there that I actually need to think about going forward.

I will admit that I don't know much about the human brain, and I'll have to look into what you said about it, if you have a link or two to some articles or studies, I'd really appreciate them.

As for the whole ease of recall thing, he's accessing them in something similar to how we would find files on a computer without the search bar, browsing/scanning through folder upon folder, picking through them for one piece of information, with each memory being in a separate location with a web of links between them, meaning they can be lost in the clutter if you don't know where to look.

I know that sounds a bit odd or possibly even stupid, but for the moment I'm going to have to ask for some suspension of disbelief, as I'd rather finish the story as I've planned it and then go back and rewrite it with all I learned along the way. Probably not the best way to go about it, but the way I want to, nonetheless.

One last thing, I wouldn't say you're mean, perhaps a little over blunt, but you mean well, unlike some folks who claim to be giving 'constructive criticism ', thus far you've been civil, with the occasional sarcasm.

Keep the comments rolling, friend, I'm hoping they'll keep me from screwing up too hard.

9545263
Pfft, yeah, I tend to rant lol.

I learned that stuff about the human brain from years ago, so I'll have to do some digging to find articles and stuff. Some of my knowledge even comes from a doctor who's a youtuber so, yeah.

That's a strange way to go about it. A Necron Brain, as said being a computer, wouldn't have a user interface, it doesn't need one. At best it'd have what amounts to the command line for Windows, but the Operating System, being the consciousness/personality/etc, wouldn't be using that command line because again, it doesn't need to. It's the reason why a Windows computer can't lose a file unless you create a shortcut, delete the file that shortcut leads to, then try to use the shortcut. The OS has 'root' access to the entire computer, circumventing its own UI and command line. The UI and command line are only for the user. In this case, the Necron being both computer and OS, the individual Necron in question is 'root', and not a user.

Yeah, that's fair. I've said myself I'm blunt, but I don't intend to be mean. In some cases I'm very blunt, but I always follow such comments up with ones explaining my bluntness. (Actually had to edit a comment saying as much because people don't seem to read). Though, I didn't notice I was using any sarcasm. Weird.

As for your reasoning for continuing as you are, that's fair enough. There's not really any reason for you to follow what I say in my comments and you could completely ignore me without any real consequence, it's your story and what you say goes. If you say that's how the Necron brain works, that's how it works. If you say I'm in your story then proceed to kill me off, well then I guess I'm dead.

9545263
Here's one article that talks about how complicated the human brain is. Bear in mind the general assumption is that the 'subject' is a normal human being that will live far past being the oldest human to ever live (122 y/o).
Can the human brain handle immortality?

By all accounts, a healthy human brain is constantly optimizing the information it can access with a strong predilection towards remembering what is important faster and in greater detail. Over time, memories and cognitive abilities that are not routinely accessed (either consciously or unconsciously) become less and less redundant and fall victim to "graceful degradation." As such, it is entirely possible that someone who lived long enough could forget their native language, if that language fell out of fashion, in favor of languages that they hear and use on a more frequent or even daily basis. They could also easily forget all sorts of other seemingly important details about their life, or have them inadvertently replaced with false memories.

The brain is smart, it has a high capacity but it will get full. The reason it gets full so fast is because, unlike a computer, it's saving everything. Everything you do gets put in short-term, while lots of things throughout the day get put in long-term, whereas a computer will only put things in long-term if you, or another application, puts them there, which is remarkably rare.

How much can our brain store?

According to Paul Reber, professor of psychology, Northwestern University, the human brain consists of about one billion neurons. Each neuron forms about 1,000 connections to other neurons, amounting to more than a trillion connections. If each neuron could only help store a single memory, running out of space would be a problem. You might have only a few gigabytes of storage space, similar to the space in an iPod or a USB flash drive. Yet neurons combine so that each one helps with many memories at a time, exponentially increasing the brain’s memory storage capacity to something closer to around 2.5 petabytes (or a million gigabytes). For comparison, if your brain worked like a digital video recorder in a television, 2.5 petabytes would be enough to hold three million hours of TV shows. You would have to leave the TV running continuously for more than 300 years to use up all that storage.

The brain is a huge storage device. For comparison with a unit more mainstream, 2.5 petabytes is 2500 terabytes, or 2500000 gigabytes, OR 2500000000 megabytes. It's big.

Brain vs Computer - similarities and differences

I'm really enjoying this story. I just hope he doesn't go and throw the secret of "hey, I'm actually a human!" out to the world.

9545416
The human brain can only take about 200 years of information/'data', when full the brain will (quote) "Crash" (end quote) this will cause the human body to be nothing more than a fleshly person where the person is unaware and at the same time aware what is happening. Though this hasn't happen yet, but this has been shown when the human reaches the 80-90 earth years where a human has trouble remembering the past no control of the body sometimes or any other health problems.

BUUTTTTTTT we are talking about a nercron sooooooo...yeah he most likely has a super computer of a brain in that hollow skull of his...

9558201
This necron is no HERETIC! I will have your head for insulting a member of the Ministorum!

Ok this story has my up vote. Both well written and with interesting characters. Can't wait to see where you take this.

Can't wait to see more, my friend.

I DEMAND MORE!

When more awesome chapters!? :pinkiehappy:

Please update soon!!!!

will he ever build a base or make more necrons

I demand more as a late b-day gift

please make more and i hope that he (necronlord) gets some more necrons

Please dont let this story die I was genuinely sad when I finished what is already here because I wanted to read more so please don't abandon this story

Why are most these stories that have a human becoming a ruler witch is rare to find due to most having died or incomplete still.

Are you going to continue this? Or is it dead?

9896787
No idea bud, this is very frustrating

Is this dead? I really hope not. This is a amazing story.

been gone a year...check, story not updated long before that....check, yup this is dead.

I hope one day you finish this masterpiece

This really is in need of an update

I absolutely love this story. Its sad that the Author disappeared...I would very much love for it to have been completed.

Monk

If the Author ever does stop by to read this. Please consider continuing this fantastic story.

11447719
this l whole hearted agree with.... l would love to see this story continue... LONG LIVE THE KING, GLORY TO THE ETERNAL EMPIRE.

I Would have really loved to see Szarekh put a restraining order on Rainbow Dash. Her reaction would be hilarious.

Login or register to comment