• Published 22nd Sep 2018
  • 1,502 Views, 40 Comments

The First Re-Mark - iowaforever



A traveler arrives in Our Town, challenging all that Starlight believes in. But then, Equality is truth... right?

  • ...
2
 40
 1,502

"Make a Change"

“Make a Change”

Getting their cutie marks back was no great task. Sugar Belle and Party Favor still had enough of their strength to crack open the rock, and the magic within the cutie marks did the rest of the work. Soon, the cave was filled with shouts of joy, ponies celebrating that they had reclaimed what had been taken from them. For Starlight, it hurt to see her hard work falling away, but the joy of the townsponies... that more than made up for any pain.

Some ponies packed their things and left as soon as they returned to town, Starlight even helping some of them pack up and sending them on their way. Some stayed, bringing out what they had saved for the Equality Festival to have a real celebration. The air was thick with conversation and the smell of baked goods, ponies laughing and playing as they enjoyed a real celebration as a real town, not Starlight’s “playthings”

But then, all things had to come to an end at some point. Ponies were not automatons, after all.

“You sure you don’t want to stay?” Double Diamond asked as Starlight walked to the edge of town. “Some of us want to make this village a proper community, and we’d love to have you as our first mayor.”

“I’d love to, Double Diamond,” Starlight said. “But after what I’ve done, I think I need some time to collect my thoughts, find myself again as it were. You are all great ponies, and I’m honored to call you my friends, but...” she paused. “I think I need some time alone, just to think things over.”

“Oh,” Double Diamond’s face fell, but he did smile eventually. “But you come back soon, okay? Don’t be a stranger, and we can’t wait to hear all the new, wonderful things you’ll find out there.”

“I’d never dream of anything else.” Starlight leaned in and gave Double Diamond a hug. “Take care Double Diamond.”

“You too, Starlight.” and with that Starlight started off, taking the path that led towards the old train station while the townsponies returned to their celebration. Starlight walked in silence for several minutes, taking in the sights of the desert as she walked. After the rain the place seemed to come alive, small shoots and brush blossoming as they took advantage of the temporary deluge of moisture, creating a vibrant mosaic in the dimming light of late afternoon. Starlight was half tempted to find a place to sit down and just take everything in for a few minutes, but she had a schedule to keep... she thought.

“All has gone well, then?” Starlight looked up, spotting Princess Luna standing in the shade of a tree. The cloak she had brought was now tied around her neck, though she did not seem willing to take up the full guise of Revelation once more.

“I... I hope so,” Starlight replied. “I think they’re going to do well, now that they have their special talents again...”

“You still feel uneasy, don’t you?” Luna asked. There was a pause before Starlight spoke.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t,” she said. “There’s so much out there that I don’t know, that I can’t control...” she looked down. “And what if I mess up, what if I slide back into my old habits? I-I suppose I’m worrying about that as well.”

“I understand.” Luna replied. Starlight took a breath before continuing.

“But I am willing to make a change,” she said, looking back up at Luna. “I do not want to be hurt again, or hurt other ponies again. I do not want to keep old wounds festering on my soul, and I do not want to rule over anypony as I did here.” she allowed a small smile. “And now I know that even if I do make mistakes, I’ll have a good teacher ready to catch me should I stumble.”

“Good.” Luna said. “You are already making better progress at this than I did...” Starlight’s smile slipped, but only for a moment as Luna continued. “But then that is why we are here now- to rebuild ourselves and make up for those past sins.”

“Of course...” Starlight paused, kicking up a small cloud of dirt before speaking. “So... where do we begin?”

“First, I would like to take you to a small town called Ponyville.” Luna said, turning towards the west. “There are three little fillies that I would like to introduce you to, and I think they have quite a few stories to tell.” Starlight smiled, taking a spot next to her new mentor as they headed to the west. Calm energy filled every step she took, such that any trepidation she might have had were nothing more than dust on her hooves.

In the distance, Starlight could have sworn she heard a clock chiming once. She paused for a brief moment, then shook her head and continued on. Just the desert playing tricks on her- all that was left now was to keep moving forward.

Comments ( 9 )

I don't even care if there is going to be a sequel or not, this is the perfect ending to a great fic :heart:

Brilliant work in integrating all the concrete points of Starlight's life into the path that led to Our Town. She might be the toughest nut the Princess of Therapy had to crack, but the process was thoroughly satisfying, as was the end result. Seriously, Starlight, ponies might be the most forgiving species on the planet... as long as your name isn't Trixie.

Thank you for a great read.

9432241 Thank you very much:twilightsmile:

A very good Pony-version of The Last Church. At least in this version there were no troops with flames waiting outside.

I haven't read this yet.
However: noting your prior 40k love and the.. descr i think this is your version of "The Last Church"


Edit: Def "The Last Church" infuences

What was the chiming clock?

Also guessed this was going to be last church by the description.

Looks like Luna had more success than Big E did.

10710975 It's a bit of something I've been playing around with regarding the ending of The Last Church, which ends with Uriah's clock striking midnight, the end of the day and symbolically the end of humanity. Here it strikes one, signaling Starlight's stepping forward into a new day and a new beginning

10785920
This would also be a great look at what Luna is doing while Celestia and Twilight are away, including eliminating threats, one way or another, before they become a problem now that the leader of the Elements of Harmony is gone.

Speaking of which, I can't wait until Twilight's friends see her again, and react to her probably being in purple armor with a big-ass sword, phenomenal (and violent) magic power, wings, and a very different outlook on dealing with villains. Maybe even some strange mares she brought with her who all have white manes, similar black armor, and their own elements of harmony?

Login or register to comment