• Published 22nd Sep 2018
  • 1,495 Views, 40 Comments

The First Re-Mark - iowaforever



A traveler arrives in Our Town, challenging all that Starlight believes in. But then, Equality is truth... right?

  • ...
2
 40
 1,495

"Call me Revelation"

“Call me Revelation”

Starlight Glimmer had chosen the site for her commune carefully: far enough away from outside influence where she could work out her philosophy (and perhaps bring in a few new community members nopony would really miss), dry enough that she would not have ponies questioning the weather too much, and fertile enough that they would not starve to death on a few weak harvests. For the first weeks, it had served them well, the little community slowly growing under Starlight’s careful watch. Nothing was out of place, nothing was left to chance, everything and everypony was equal.

Stable. Just as everything was supposed to be.

Still, fate was fate, as Starlight and the others found out when a sudden storm had rolled in from the west. She knew enough on habitats to know storms were not too unusual for deserts, but that it had to happen on the day of their first Equality Festival...

Oh well, we’ll just have to hold the Festival tomorrow.

“Is everything secure, Double Diamond?” she asked, trotting up to the Earth Pony in question.

“All the banners are secure and all the food’s been put away,” Double Diamond replied, his voice as calm as ever. “We just wait a little longer, and then we can get back to celebrating.”

“Wonderful!” Starlight beamed. “I’m so glad that everypony has come together to make our Festival a success despite all the weather! You really are a shining example of our community, Double Diamond!” The Festival’s success was still in question, as was finishing it tonight, but there was nothing a little positive reinforcement couldn’t help.

“Thank you, Starlight! It really means a lot to me.” Double Diamond’s smile faded for a moment. “But what about Sugar Belle and Party Favor?” Starlight cast a glance towards one of the houses on the far end of the town. It was a little difficult to hear her “words of encouragement” softly playing to the occupants over the storm, but the storm was not bad enough to jeopardize all Starlight had set up.

“Oh, they’ll be fine,” she said, giving a short wave of her hoof. “A little storm never hurt anyone, and think of how much closer they will get riding out this storm together.” This seemed to satisfy Double Diamond, who gave Starlight a smile before she continued. “Now you get to shelter too; no need for anypony to catch a cold out here.”

“Of course not. You stay safe, Starlight.” and with that the two parted ways, Starlight bolting for her house just as the first raindrops began to fall. A small magic shield would be enough to deflect some of the bigger drops, but she was still far from dry as she ducked into her house and closed the door.

“Made it,” she whispered, wiping a few drops off her forehead as she took inventory. Her house was well stocked for the storm, with freshly cut firewood aplenty and comfy furniture to keep things cozy while wind and rain lashed as her community. Humming to herself, Starlight reached for a nearby towel, wiping down her mane before giving the rest of her body a once over.

The fake cutie mark had gotten some splashes. That would have to be redone.

She reached for the makeup kit she had stashed, pulling the kit free while simultaneously rubbing down her flank to remove the old cutie mark. From there, it was a simple matter of applying a good amount of foundation to go unnoticed, followed by a dusting of charcoal to create the equal sign. It was a process she had completed dozens of times since building the community, and not once had it gone noticed by anypony.

Quiet. Stable. Just as things were supposed to be.

She had just finished with her right flank when a knock came from the door. Starlight was so caught off guard by the knock she almost dropped the kit, cursing a bit under her breath before her composure returned. “Just cleaning up a bit!” she called. “I’ll be right there.” The pony on the other side did not respond. Probably just Double Diamond, Starlight thought as she finished her left flank. He does get scared so easily nowadays. Starlight made for the door only after making sure her makeup was hidden away once more, cracking the door open to get a good look at her visitor.

It was not Double Diamond. It wasn’t anypony from the community, but a tall mare in a hooded grey cloak. From what Starlight could see she had a lighter blue coat, a slight frame like those showmares from Las Pegasus she had read about, and soft turquoise eyes. The mare took a moment to brush some of her mane out of her eyes before speaking.

“Please, ma’am,” she said. “I was travelling through when the storm came. May I rest here until it passes?” Starlight chewed her lip. An outsider could mean a new friend for the community, if the mare was willing to stay, but it could also mean another chance at somepony discovering more than they needed to know. Logic told Starlight to send the mare on her way, or at least point her to one of the other houses so she could meet the community before being brought to Starlight.

But then, there’s no reason to be rude.

“Please, come in.” Starlight said, giving the mare a warm smile as she held the door open. The newcomer nodded her thanks and stepped in, pushing her hood back once she was inside. Now Starlight could see the newcomer was a unicorn, her horn poking out from beneath a tangled mess of blue mane.

“Thank you so much for your hospitality,” the mare said. “It is rare that I get a chance to spend time in a warm house.”

“Oh you poor thing!” Starlight gasped. “Well, nopony should have to wait out a storm alone. Please, make yourself at home; it is the least I could do for one such as you.” again, the mare nodded her thanks, moving to a nearby rack to hang her cloak. Starlight crossed to her fireplace, levitating a few logs into the fireplace as she looked around for matches.

“Would you like something to drink?” Starlight asked. “Water, or perhaps a glass of warm milk?”

“I have some tea, if you would be willing to share.” the mare said, pulling a small packet from her cloak.

“Good, good.” Starlight turned away for a moment, frowning as she failed to locate her matches. Well, a little magic won’t kill anypony. Her smile returning, Starlight cast a quick Firestarter spell, sparks flickering from her horn before catching on the firewood. Once she felt the fire was sufficient, she turned back to her guest.

“I’ll go put some water on, and then we can enjoy your tea.” she said. The other mare gave a quick smile before speaking.

“Your hospitality knows no bounds,” she said. “I feel almost rude, coming in here and putting you to work like this.”

“Please, it really is no trouble,” Starlight grabbed a kettle and moved towards the kitchen. “It is so rare that our little community gets visitors, we have to do as much as we can to be hospitable.”

“I see...” a pause, Starlight humming a short tune as she filled the kettle. Then she chuckled.

“Look at us,” she said. “We’ve gone so far and we don’t even know each other’s names.” the kettle sufficiently full, she turned and headed back to the fire. “I’m Starlight Glimmer. What’s your name, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Oh, I’ve gathered a lot of names over the years.” the mare said, portioning out the tea into two cups Starlight could have sworn were not there moments before. “For now, you may call me Revelation.”

“‘Revelation’...” Starlight repeated, a chill running down her spine. Ponies had a wide variety of names, but something about this one... she shook her head and hung the kettle over the fire. “What an interesting name.”

“So I’ve been told.” Revelation said, setting the tea cups aside. There was a pause before Starlight spoke again.

“So, Revelation... What brings you this far out?”

“I seek knowledge, understanding,” Revelation said. “My mentor taught me that it was advantageous to be on the move, collecting bits and pieces of information to better understand the whole. So I’ve been travelling from town to town, speaking with ponies so I may learn more about them and their lives.”

“I see,” Starlight looked to her guest’s flank. “I suppose it has something to do with your special talent?” Revelation raised an eyebrow at this before tracing Starlight’s gaze to her cutie mark, a black wolf’s head against an upturned white crescent.

“Not particularly,” Revelation replied with a chuckle. “This is just a hobby of mine, something to keep life from growing boring, as it were.”

“Ah.” another pause. By now the kettle had started to boil, a plume of steam rising up into the rafters. “Oh, looks like our water is ready.” Revelation gave a small nod, reaching out with her magic to carry the kettle closer.

“Tell me, Starlight,” Revelation said as she poured the water. “How does a community like yours end up all the way out here? I am well learned in Equestria’s geography, and I did not think this to be a good place for a town.”

“Of course, from the outside it may seem harsh,” Starlight said as she took her cup from Revelation. “But we have found it to be quite charming besides, perfect for our little community.”

“Perhaps,” Revelation shifted in her seat before raising her glass. “To your health.”

“And yours.” Starlight took a sip. The tea was nutty, a sweet aftertaste following quickly after. She allowed a small giggle as she drank, such that she almost missed Revelation’s next comment.

“Everything does seem well structured,” the other mare said. “Almost obsessively so...”

“We do our best to make sure everypony gets exactly the same housing.” Starlight replied. “Not too big, not too small; just perfect for everypony.”

“I see.” a pause. “A small isolated community set to exacting designs, and I did notice earlier that you share the same cutie mark as some of your fellows. Is there a reason behind that?” Starlight’s pulse picked up. This pony was interested in learning more about Equality, and so calmly too? It was as if Celestia Herself had sought to bless Starlight for her good fortune.

Play it cool, Starlight, she thought. Sell the idea of Equality, then you can discuss details.

“All you have seen is to foster the cause of Equality,” she said, grinning with pride. “Nopony here has any advantages over anypony else. The same food, the same house in roughly similar position, and the same cutie mark! We don’t allow such things as special talents or unusual skills divide us, for we all live together in absolute harmony.”

“Sounds positively dull.” Revelation said. While Starlight’s smile did not slip, her eye did twitch.

“I’m... I’m sorry?”

“The differences between ponies is what has made Equestria so vibrant, so flourishing,” Revelation continued. “It is in our very nature to seek out what we are best at, and we draw strength even from those who might not understand our drives. To live without that?” she shook her head. “I’m sorry, but I cannot see anything harmonious about that.”

“Uh...” Starlight frowned. This was going to be a tougher sell than she thought. “B-but surely you’ve seen the division among ponies. When one gains a special talent, they claim superiority over others around them and thus push them away from their own drives to achieve the same. This division leads to a breakdown of friendship as achievement becomes competition, and then where are they left? Divided, angry, confused.”

“But it is within that competition that a pony truly becomes themselves,” Revelation countered, taking a sip from her tea. “If we did not seek to become more than what we are, would we ever truly grow? Would we not still be foals grasping at straws, listening to what more ‘learned’ ponies have said before?”

“That’s what you might think, but Equality is such a liberating experience,” Starlight took another drink before continuing. “So much pressure and doubt is placed upon ponies these days, trying to find their special talents or make sense of the world. But through Equality, they have purpose: to contribute to the community, take the place set before them, and work together so all prosper fairly.”

“Who’s purpose, though?” Revelation frowned. “What point is purpose if you have no say in your part in it? And to be set along a single path, without a chance to turn to the right or to the left.” she looked away. “That sounds like a horrible fate I would not wish on anyone.”

“I would appreciate if you did not call our community life ‘horrible’, Miss Revelation,” Starlight said, frowning. Of course, there were going to be hard converts, but this pony was just being beyond stubborn.

“Apologies, I did not mean to appear rude,” Revelation said. “This is your community, and I am your guest. I merely find your stance on life to be... odd.”

“Many ponies do, I’m sure.” Starlight said, some of her composure returning. “They really shouldn’t, though. The signs of Equality are all around us, if somepony knows where to look.”

“Perhaps, but I do not think it would appear in the way you think.” there was a lengthy pause, Revelation calmly sipping at her tea before Starlight spoke.

“You think this unnatural, an abomination,” she said, ears drooping.

“I would not go as far to say ‘abomination’, but unnatural? Yes.” Revelation set her tea aside. “Ponykind in all its forms is a celebration of differences, exemplified by our cutie marks. To enforce rigid conformity is to deny all that we are.”

“And that’s where you’re wrong.” Starlight said, setting her own tea down. “Cutie marks highlight the divides between us, and provide a focal point by which we judge one another. All throughout history ponies have broken apart because of these differences, abandoning one another for their own desires. All because of cutie marks.”

“I am a student of history myself,” Revelation replied. “And I can assure you that it is not merely a cutie mark that can break apart a relationship.” Oh, so it’s a battle of wits, then? Well, Sugar Belle was no trouble; Revelation should not be too difficult.

“If you don’t see for yourself,” Starlight said. “Allow me to convince you.”